Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
I just can't understand why so many countries use just the father's surname. Quite convenient for plot twists like this one, though. But seriously, it doesn't make any sense from a lot of perspectives
There's no good answer to why 'so many countries' do it, but as for why it's done in BaDIK?

It's not for the sake of a plot twist or anything, it is because the game is set in the United States and wives taking their husbands names (and therefore the father's surname being the only one used by the children) still happens in the vast majority of marriages here (about 80%, last I heard). So, whether it's right or wrong or moral or whatever, it's objectively correct in the setting of the game.

Kind of like... oh... random example... using 'math' instead of 'maths'. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
There's no good answer to why 'so many countries' do it, but as for why it's done in BaDIK?

It's not for the sake of a plot twist or anything, it is because the game is set in the United States and wives taking their husbands names (and therefore the father's surname being the only one used by the children) still happens in the vast majority of marriages here (about 80%, last I heard). So, whether it's right or wrong or moral or whatever, it's objectively correct in the setting of the game.

Kind of like... oh... random example... using 'math' instead of 'maths'. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I know, that's how it's done in the US... and that allows DPC to add this mistery into his story without too much hassle. I would feel quite disappointed if MC turns out to be a Burgmeister.

Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
I know, that's how it's done in the US... and that allows DPC to add this mistery into his story without too much hassle. I would feel quite disappointed if MC turns out to be a Burgmeister.
I'm not a fan of the idea of that 'twist' either, but it's all about how it's handled. A good twist can be executed poorly and a lame twist can be executed well. We'll see.

I'm still not convinced the letter will even be a twist, per se. Finding and reading a lost letter from your dead mother would be an emotional moment and could impact the MC in a number of ways, without needing some dumb 'shock' twist.

Last edited:

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I'm not a fan of the idea of that 'twist' either, but it's all about how it's handled. A good twist can be executed poorly and a lame twist can be executed well. We'll see.

I'm still not convinced the letter will even be a twist, per se. Finding and reading a lost letter from your dead mother would be an emotional moment and could impact the MC in a number of ways, without needing some dumb 'shock' twist.
But it's not a "lost letter" from his Mom, Neil specifically says he recently received a letter that "concerns" his mother, meaning it has something to do with her but isn't from her. Neil has therefore read the letter and knows what the contents are, and it's clearly important enough that he's let the MC know about it beforehand to prepare him for it.

I do feel like it's a letter from his mother's family, specifically her parents, reaching out to the MC to offer some inheritance/make amends for past actions. The letter also must make it pretty clear that the jig is up, so to speak, and Neil can no longer shield/hide the MC from them since they now know of his existence and where he lives, or at least they know where his family home is, and that's why Neil didn't just get rid of the letter.

It also strikes me as a bit odd that they would send something to his home address and not send something to the college, but then again, he doesn't have a permanent residence there so they probably couldn't find out where he's staying but could get his home address.

The other option is that it's a letter from some bank or investment firm to inform him of savings that his Mom put away that have matured and are now his, making him a millionaire. It would mean less drama without the family aspect, but I honestly think this would be the worst of the options because the family drama would be far more interesting and could add some intriguing elements to the overall story.

Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
I tried once to play this game since it is loved so much. But, the setting "fraternity" really threw me off. There isn't anything like that that exists where i live. I wonder if anyone had the same difficulty, i am going to try it out a second time (i really want to like this game lol). It would really piss me off, if i still can't get on board.
American stuff. If you've seen any amount of US films, you should be aware of how things are done in colleges there. Completely foerign concept to myself also, but it doesn't stop me enjoying the story/setting.
I'd say B&R is much more based on the tropes of the comedy films set in colleges in the US than on an authentic college experience. BaDIK has much more in common with Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, and Van Wilder than it does with reality. So, Maviarab is right... I think the assumption is that the player will have seen films like those and have some passing familiarity with the setting.

A couple examples? B&R is presented as a somewhat prestigious school, but half the characters in the game likely barely passed high school and would have trouble getting accepted into a community college much less a university of any note. Also, any school big enough to have 4+ active fraternities/sororities wouldn't have the same professor teaching math and English. The University I went to was fairly small, and only had about 6 greek houses, but our math and English departments each had 15-20 professors.

Reactions: ename144 and Banish

Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
Oddly, that first pic is one of my favorites of Jill. I think she's one of the true beauties in the game, but for some reason her face has a tendency to look really unnatural in certain shots. That first picture is just a great, natural-looking perturbed expression that I expect I would see a lot of if I knew her in real life. :)

phill_leotardo

Dec 20, 2019
I tried once to play this game since it is loved so much. But, the setting "fraternity" really threw me off. There isn't anything like that that exists where i live. I wonder if anyone had the same difficulty, i am going to try it out a second time (i really want to like this game lol). It would really piss me off, if i still can't get on board.
This is what romantized version of fraternity looks like in the movies, which is what the setting is based on. Just like the mafia movies, where some are way off, like the godfather for instances, it's more praised for its movie characteristics, than actual mafia representation. Fraternities, dont really go like that in an american college, specifically the vandalism parts, this is more like high school setting for boarding schools than actual universities/colleges, but let's not get into that.

Initially i didnt like it either, this me and the boys thing. But thankfully that's not the whole thing in this game. Besides, as the story grows you get involved more in this game and the DIKs jacket are pretty cool, sometimes the only way out, is through.

Reactions: ename144 and Banish

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Nice look overall. I like her dress, though I personally would pass on the whip cream on top of my massive waffle-cone. Certainly seems to me like our second date with Jill is upcoming. I wonder if that will be restricted to those on the Jill path (or at least those who haven't told her to steer clear), or if everyone gets to join.

Jill said it was supposed to rain "next week," so this seems like further confirmation Episode 6 will be pushing deep into the week at least. Optimism continues to grow cautiously.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Very true so far I would say yes...while more 'mature' in content...it does have vobes of those classic 80's comedies yeah.
This is what often has me thinking that we won't see any great tragedies like we did in AL and that there might not be the same kind of dramatic, shocking, and unexpected plot twists as there was in that game either because of the entirely different setting and tone.

Might be luring myself into a false sense of security, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I'd say B&R is much more based on the tropes of the comedy films set in colleges in the US than on an authentic college experience. BaDIK has much more in common with Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, and Van Wilder than it does with reality. So, Maviarab is right... I think the assumption is that the player will have seen films like those and have some passing familiarity with the setting.

A couple examples? B&R is presented as a somewhat prestigious school, but half the characters in the game likely barely passed high school and would have trouble getting accepted into a community college much less a university of any note. Also, any school big enough to have 4+ active fraternities/sororities wouldn't have the same professor teaching math and English. The University I went to was fairly small, and only had about 6 greek houses, but our math and English departments each had 15-20 professors.
I don't think those are narrative choices

already, on balance, there are too many characters, managing others just for realism became complicated for DPC.

we have 5 fraternities, but only 2 of these are fully involved in the story, the Jocks are bad and stupid, the Preps the spoiled and for the Nerd only theories, otherwise they are useless.

the audience of characters is already too large, and inevitably other more or less secondary characters will emerge.
compared to AL we are on a whole other level of complexity (and difficulty to manage for PDC).

I also hope it's a lighter, less dramatic work, but I don't have all these certainties

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes