Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
My favorite aspect of DPC's approach to developing the game is that each release is a full episode, with everything that term implies. DPC approaches this like he's the show runner for a hit series on TV. There's a recap, progress on the various storylines, character development, conflict, mini resolutions, plus some laughs and fap material, and then the episode ends in a way that leaves us hungry for the next one. No other game gets released in this format, to my knowledge. Those games' releases are maybe thirty minutes to an hour or, if you're really lucky, a couple hours of additional playtime, and when the release abruptly ends there's just a message saying something like "That's the end of version X.X" or whatever. It's enormously unsatisfying.

The last thing I would want is for DPC to start releasing updates in randomly sized chunks, like other developers. If he started doing that I would probably continue being a patron, but I would stop playing and not resume until the whole thing was done (assuming I live that long).

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Yeah i have nothing to add cuz you've added everything in that post, it's like you know the guy personally making all those claims that he works that many hrs and he's busting his ass working and yada yada... hell i might even say you are dpc himself "undercover" here...:LOL:
I've actually just read the interviews. Took them at face value. I've played the game as well as other leading games here. And then I've just used that to come up with simple conclusions.

It's not rocket science. It's called comprehension.

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
But you've got nothing constructive to add, right? You're just one of the whiners.
How could they add something to it ? :oops: :rolleyes: This whole thing is out of peoples hands there is only one dude that dictates what goes AND how it goes... ( DPC btw :KEK: ) but if you can't cope with that as a norm you end up like him ( and oh so many others :ROFLMAO: ) that create an alternate reality where they rewrite the laws of physics... and in this case common sense as well :p
It's not rocket science. It's called comprehension.
:eek: Blasphemy !!! :eek:
:KEK:

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Saying dpc's working 12+ hours a day is pretty simpy, you have to give it to the guy :LUL::LUL::LUL::LUL:
In the developers own words (from this post):

"Work averages to 12-18 hours per day, every day of the week. I have had a few days off here and there, but my last real vacation was back in 2017 "

I quoted the conservative number from his estimate (12 hours), it's not like I said, "The dude works up to 18 hours a day!!!!!". I also suggested he'd been working like that for 3 years (because I didn't include AL in my post), whereas, reading from DPC's own words, he's been working like that since 2017.

I'm just stating facts; even slightly understating them. I understand in this world where facts have been overshadowed by emotions, that's a bit hard for people to understand.

And I understand that people who have never really accomplished anything significant in their lives can't understand how it feels to achieve something great on your own.

I say all this because it's true. I have no investment in BaDIK (I'm not even a subscriber, and I hardly talk to DPC anymore, he's too busy to take my calls :p), I just like playing the game.

Ok, idiot question. When I import saves to a new rig I have all the saves but don't have all the gallery unlocks. What file do I need to transfer over to get the unlocks back?
Your basic saves are merely the game choices you've made. For scenes and render unlocks you need to copy the persistent file from the original saves folder as well.

If for some reason your PC didn't put it into the default game install path, look under %appdata%\RenPy\BaDIK-whateverXYZ for it instead.
You can modify save games(editor attached) if you want, to purge away those bad mistakes (I'm looking at you, Cathy!).

If you aren't sure what a variable for something is, just ask and someone will chime in. There are dudes here who will even modify your save game for you to suit your desires (if you ask them on a good day).

Last edited:

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
"The dude works up to 18 hours a day!!!!!"
Well that's something that is easy to misunderstand... this 18 hours of work does not equal with a coal miners 18 hours shift... :LOL: But as it seems some simple minded folks are just putting there the equasion like it's the right thing to do... btw the numbers can be exchanged to 12 too it would still be a fucking lot :p Anyhow as you said facts and achievements... that's a hard topic here as it seems :KEK:

There are dudes here who will even modify your save game for you to suit your desires (if you ask them on a good day)
1608079_giphy.gif :KEK:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sava75 and shazba

SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
Michelangelo had helpers because he had deadlines. DPC doesn't have deadlines, so as long as the patrons don't walk out on him, and that doesn't seem likely, he's got a licence to take as long as he wants. Patreon doesn't reward faster work; he has no real incentive to deliver more quickly.

But in spite of that, he's still working 12+ hour a day and (some?) weekends. He's obviously crazy invested in this. It's what he wants to do.

He could put in half the time, release each episode in quarters, and therefore put out each smaller episode every three months, and still be well ahead of the competition.

He could do that, and that would shut up everyone who is complaining about waiting so long. 3+ hours gameplay every three months, sounds like a dream come true.

So why doesn't he just do that?

Because he doesn't fucking want to. It's that simple.

People always complain, but my motto is, "it could always be worse".

Any other developer with DPC's current clout, would not be working as hard as him, and would be releasing a lot less in the same time span, and the game wouldn't be as good.

If you look at mpa71's BigTable, the evidence is there, while the development time is trending upwards (and he's acknowledged that and is trying to keep that under control), the output is also trending upwards, but at a greater rate.

So he's working his ass off on this project (unlike Milfy City, which was a guy taking money for doing absolutely nothing for years, BaDIK is a guy taking money and working long, long hours, every single day of the week), and he's happy to do it.

He's already spent 3+ years working like this, that's an unbelievable amount of commitment. I'd comfortably assert that no one here on this board (developers or members) works like this guy. There is no game here that provides the quality and quantity of gaming experience within the same time span. All the crowd favourites, while exceptional games in their own rights, deliver a lot less on a similar schedule.

Like I've said before. When the next episode comes out, just play an hour of it every month (more game play than you'll get from the other developers), and you won't even have finished the episode before the next one comes out.

He's never gonna get helpers for this game. There's no point suggesting it.
Michelangelo had helpers because it’s common sense to have help when undertaking a project of such a massive scale, instead of tackling the whole thing alone. I know he will never hire help but that doesn’t mean it should not be suggested when it seems reasonable. This game could reasonably be just as good if not better AND produced at a faster rate if he brought on help. I’m not questioning his work ethic or his passion or the quality of his work. But refusing to delegate menial tasks and grunt level work due solely to one’s own stubbornness is immature and shortsighted.

and I know you were just making a blanket statement regarding his work habits, but let’s not pretend he is working construction for 12 hours a day or had to go to medical school for 10 years to perform delicate surgeries or is even hanging upside down painting the roof of a church for years on end.The man works at home in front of a computer; that doesn’t mean his work isn’t hard but there are people who bust their ass physically/mentally/emotionally and will never make as much as DPC does in a lifetime. I work in healthcare, taking care of the sick and the dying and the disabled. It’s a mostly thankless job with a laughably bad wage and I don’t particularly appreciate the comparison to DPC when I come home at the end of a 10 hour day of seeing people at their very worst completely drained of everything. This dude hit the jackpot as far as work goes so let’s not pretend him posing scenes and typing code is the same kind of work other people do day in and day out. (it’s hard to convey emotion through text, so just know I’m not angry at you or anything but I think it’s unfair to compare what he does for a living to others; it’s just not the same kind of work)

I like this game and it’s arguably the best on the site. But I want it to always be better. And him irrationally refusing to expand his labor to fit the scope of the project is a mistake in my opinion. I know he has no deadlines, and in fact he makes MORE money the longer it takes him to finish the game (lul). And that decision is one that makes us all collectively lose. We could literally have the exact same quality or even better, but faster. to me, producing whole episodes faster and finishing the complete story within a reasonable time frame is better than the current state of affairs.

but anyways, the Maya preview was nice and brought some good discussion. I hope it doesn’t take 2 months to get another preview and I hope it’s something related to the Halloween party. I think that will be the chance for the game to be at its most fun/funny before some more serious stuff happens leading up to future events.

Last edited:

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
They both reminded me of Quinn when I first encountered the characters in game, , I think, with more modification done on Jaye?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Jaye is clearly inspired by

Now, I don't know how you get from Victoria 8.1 to her final C.S. form, but I would not be surprised it having % of Aurore since its the most OP Daz base assets. You can go from innocent Nurse from Acting Lessons to hardcore and seductive Lisa/Quinn, just by makeup and haircut.

I think using the same Expression assets might be a factor in characters looking similar as well.

Reactions: Catlyn

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Michelangelo had helpers because it’s common sense to have help when undertaking a project of such a massive scale, instead of tackling the whole thing alone. I know he will never hire help but that doesn’t mean it should not be suggested when it seems reasonable. This game could reasonably be just as good if not better AND produced at a faster rate if he brought on help. I’m not questioning his work ethic or his passion or the quality of his work. But refusing to delegate menial tasks and grunt level work due solely to one’s own stubbornness is immature and shortsighted.

and I know you were just making a blanket statement regarding his work habits, but let’s not pretend he is working construction for 12 hours a day or had to go to medical school for 10 years to perform delicate surgeries or is even hanging upside down painting the roof of a church for years on end.The man works at home in front of a computer; that doesn’t mean his work isn’t hard but there are people who bust their ass physically/mentally/emotionally and will never make as much as DPC does in a lifetime. I work in healthcare, taking care of the sick and the dying and the disabled. It’s a mostly thankless job with a laughably bad wage and I don’t particularly appreciate the comparison to DPC when I come home at the end of a 10 hour day of seeing people at their very worst completely drained of everything. This dude hit the jackpot as far as work goes so let’s not pretend him posing scenes and typing code is the same kind of work other people do day in and day out. (it’s hard to convey emotion through text, so just know I’m not angry at you or anything but I think it’s unfair to compare what he does for a living to others; it’s just not the same kind of work)

I like this game and it’s arguably the best on the site. But I want it to always be better. And him irrationally refusing to expand his labor to fit the scope of the project is a mistake in my opinion. I know he has no deadlines, and in fact he makes MORE money the longer it takes him to finish the game (lul). And that decision is one that makes us all collectively lose. We could literally have the exact same quality or even better, but faster. to me, producing whole episodes faster and finishing the complete story within a reasonable time frame is better than the current state of affairs.

but anyways, the Maya preview was nice and brought some good discussion. I hope it doesn’t take 2 months to get another preview and I hope it’s something related to the Halloween party. I think that will be the chance for the game to be at its most fun/funny before some more serious stuff happens leading up to future events.
Many jobs don't deserve the money they rake in (look at Heard and Depp, two obviously fucked up people, suing each other for millions because they can no longer earn millions when they should really be happy that they got to have millions in the first place), and essential service work conversely never pays a decent amount based on how much we need those workers. Yeah, I get that.

But I don't see this debate being over whether he's getting paid too much, it's about the logistics of expanding his fulltime hobby (that happens to pay for his living, and then some) into a proper business with employees.

To me, it's not irrational that he decides not to, nor would it be irrational if he decided he wanted to. It would actually be a big decision, with a lot of variables;

Pros (none of these are a given, things don't always work out):
  • Content should be able to come out more quickly.
  • Quality could improve if he sourced coders, writers and/or artists more skilled than himself.
  • He could get more subscribers and hence improve the project's income.
  • He should have more time for himself and his family.
  • He'd be contributing wages into the economy (whichever economy, there's no requirement that he'd have to get local help).
Cons (some of these are potential, not definite outcomes):
  • It would no longer be a hobby. It's not really a hobby now, but other than longer hours, there's nothing different to how he's creating the game full time compared to after hours other than the time per day spent on it. Once he starts employing others, things change drastically.
  • He'd be responsible for the employ of other people. He can't expect to retain them if he can't provide a steady amount of work. So he'd start having deadlines where he'd need to feed them what he wants on regular intervals (he'd no longer be able to just work on whatever components of the game he feels like at the time)
  • He'd be spending his money on others' wages which could result in his take being less at the end.
  • The game could come out sooner and unless he starts a new project, his Patreons wouldn't continue donating once the game is done and he'd have to let his staff go and his source of income would dry up sooner.
  • He would not be able to say he did it by himself (people like to say he's an egomaniac, but we all have egos, and it's nice to be appreciated when you've achieved something momentous on your own)
  • It's unlikely he'd get lucky and get the best employees right away, it's possible he may never get the best employees. They could be good at what they do but unreliable, they'd also have their own lives and complications that could throw a spanner in the works.
  • Employees may take longer to achieve things because they wouldn't be working the insane hours that he works, plus it's unlikely they'd be doing the work full time as that's a risk to them (quit their jobs and work for DPC full time, then be out of work after 2 years...)
  • There could be disputes regarding their work or how much they should be paid, everyone understands he's raking in a lot for this game, employees might think they are entitled to a lot more than he'd want to pay.
  • Employees may prove to be a headache, not following instructions to the letter, but trying to impose their own artistic value into the game that may be contrary to DPC's vision.
  • He'd have to employ a book keeper or accountant once he's paying wages since everything's required to be declared correctly (it's much easier when you're just declaring all money coming in as sole income). So that's a straight up overhead
  • He could have major disputes, like an employee loses a few days work due to a corrupted harddrive, they still expect to be paid, but DPC gets nothing for it. It already happened to DPC, that he lost work, hence he backs the shit up like a mother fucker.
  • Will he have to provide his employee with their equipment? That's further outlay right there.
  • The risk of leaks would increase since others would have access to the creation (and we know DPC doesn't like leaks!)
  • With all the overheads and distractions from actually just getting on with creating the game, DPC could start to lose his passion for the game.
So none of the above items are concrete, but it definitely illustrates that there are benefits and risks with taking the next step.

So yeah, we want the game sooner, but why should DPC take this risk when he's already making a fortune and enjoying it?

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
In the developers own words (from this post):

"Work averages to 12-18 hours per day, every day of the week. I have had a few days off here and there, but my last real vacation was back in 2017 "
I hope for his sake that it is not true... but still it is not a fact, (if he was working on it 5-6 hours a day, which in any case is not little for a "hobby" he would not be smart to say so) and in case he was that would be at the best possible and imaginable motivation not to work alone...:oops: :ROFLMAO:

DPC has no motivation to share the pie with someone else, it is not noble but it is sacrosanct. working in a group would make him earn less money (the slice of pie he would have to share) for less time (he would finish sooner). his level of earning is already high that to think that any reorganization of work would lead to a significant increase in income is very difficult. and unlike Michelangelo he does not even have the nagging that he would then really have to finish his Sistine Chapel.

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
Many jobs don't deserve the money they rake in (look at Heard and Depp, two obviously fucked up people, suing each other for millions because they can no longer earn millions when they should really be happy that they got to have millions in the first place), and essential service work conversely never pays a decent amount based on how much we need those workers. Yeah, I get that.

But I don't see this debate being over whether he's getting paid too much, it's about the logistics of expanding his fulltime hobby (that happens to pay for his living, and then some) into a proper business with employees.

To me, it's not irrational that he decides not to, nor would it be irrational if he decided he wanted to. It would actually be a big decision, with a lot of variables;

Pros (none of these are a given, things don't always work out):
  • Content should be able to come out more quickly.
  • Quality could improve if he sourced coders, writers and/or artists more skilled than himself.
  • He could get more subscribers and hence improve the project's income.
  • He should have more time for himself and his family.
  • He'd be contributing wages into the economy (whichever economy, there's no requirement that he'd have to get local help).
Cons (some of these are potential, not definite outcomes):
  • It would no longer be a hobby. It's not really a hobby now, but other than longer hours, there's nothing different to how he's creating the game full time compared to after hours other than the time per day spent on it. Once he starts employing others, things change drastically.
  • He'd be responsible for the employ of other people. He can't expect to retain them if he can't provide a steady amount of work. So he'd start having deadlines where he'd need to feed them what he wants on regular intervals (he'd no longer be able to just work on whatever components of the game he feels like at the time)
  • He'd be spending his money on others' wages which could result in his take being less at the end.
  • The game could come out sooner and unless he starts a new project, his Patreons wouldn't continue donating once the game is done and he'd have to let his staff go and his source of income would dry up sooner.
  • He would not be able to say he did it by himself (people like to say he's an egomaniac, but we all have egos, and it's nice to be appreciated when you've achieved something momentous on your own)
  • It's unlikely he'd get lucky and get the best employees right away, it's possible he may never get the best employees. They could be good at what they do but unreliable, they'd also have their own lives and complications that could throw a spanner in the works.
  • Employees may take longer to achieve things because they wouldn't be working the insane hours that he works, plus it's unlikely they'd be doing the work full time as that's a risk to them (quit their jobs and work for DPC full time, then be out of work after 2 years...)
  • There could be disputes regarding their work or how much they should be paid, everyone understands he's raking in a lot for this game, employees might think they are entitled to a lot more than he'd want to pay.
  • Employees may prove to be a headache, not following instructions to the letter, but trying to impose their own artistic value into the game that may be contrary to DPC's vision.
  • He'd have to employ a book keeper or accountant once he's paying wages since everything's required to be declared correctly (it's much easier when you're just declaring all money coming in as sole income). So that's a straight up overhead
  • He could have major disputes, like an employee loses a few days work due to a corrupted harddrive, they still expect to be paid, but DPC gets nothing for it. It already happened to DPC, that he lost work, hence he backs the shit up like a mother fucker.
  • Will he have to provide his employee with their equipment? That's further outlay right there.
  • The risk of leaks would increase since others would have access to the creation (and we know DPC doesn't like leaks!)
  • With all the overheads and distractions from actually just getting on with creating the game, DPC could start to lose his passion for the game.
So none of the above items are concrete, but it definitely illustrates that there are benefits and risks with taking the next step.

So yeah, we want the game sooner, but why should DPC take this risk when he's already making a fortune and enjoying it?
Well done with the pros & cons (y);)... there can be many more added to them but what would that achieve ?! :p As it is it is plenty to do the thinking whether or not it would be a good idea :unsure:... although these are speculative examples ( what if game :LOL: ) they are not right or wrong good or bad... just something to think about :p Think DPC already went through this thoroughly and arrived at the conclusion what he uses up until this very day ;) That fans of the game think otherwise or the wishful thinking gets the better of them... is of no importance actually... no skin off his nose :KEK: I can hear the booing already so... :p
5c69a31d6da05e1d91d694d47bc4e786cc0db6c75d2983e34148718c24f3a07a.jpg :KEK:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Let me be very, extremely clear-
No One on this thread could ever call me a Simp of DPC. No One.
I believe that he works way too many hours on this game, way too many days a week.
That is why it will end by Chapter 10. Chapter 12 at the ABSOLUTE LATEST.
No one likes me saying that, but it is true, the dude can't keep this up, and he is too foolish to actually hire help.

Let me also be very clear:
shazba is absolutely a simp :D
There are many others, and there is a good reason, DPC is top notch on his artwork.
You guys already know my opinion on his ability to tell a coherent story.

Peace!

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
Let me be very, extremely clear-
No One on this thread could ever call me a Simp of DPC. No One.
I believe that he works way too many hours on this game, way too many days a week.
No one likes me saying that, but it is true, the dude can't keep this up, and he is too foolish to actually hire help.

Let me also be very clear:
shazba is absolutely a simp :D
There are many others, and there is a good reason, DPC is top notch on his artwork.
You guys already know my opinion on his ability to tell a coherent story.

Peace!
Only for non simps... :p
:KEK:

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
Yes. It could have been them. It could merely be a camera on resting on a fence post, with a timer. It could be any number of things. Having it be this magical invisible Amelia is simply impractical to draw from what's presented. If she was such a good friend you'd think they'd have mentioned here when the three of them (Lyn, Miranda, and Viv) were out on the town, or virtually at any point before this in the diary when she mentions her friends.
To be honest, I think it's a goodbye photo. Lynette had to leave her best friends behind because she had to go with her father. Ergo, this photo would have been taken long before Neil.

This means that Amelia probably met Lynette, Miranda, and Vivan, but Amelia didn't have time to make friends with Lynette because Lynette was leaving.

But Miranda and Vivan stayed and could have befriended Amelia. So Bianca and the girl next to her at the concert could be Vivan and Miranda's daughters because the three of them know each other through their mothers Miranda, Vivan and Amelia.

So Amelia would only be a signpost for the MC, leading him to Miranda and Vivan and finally to his mother Lynette. Thus, she is actually also to recognize that the MC has multiple ways to find his maternal family. Since Amelie is only a signpost and not mandatory to meet Vivan or Miranda, it is also not mandatory to follow Jill's path.

The MC only has to help Jill with the concert, but not love her. Through his help, the daughters of Miranda and Vivan will become aware of the MC and will ask Jill about the MC, which could then lead to the daughters of Miranda and Vivan wanting to meet the MC. Thus, Amelia would no longer be necessary as a guide.

nyrek

Apr 19, 2021
I see you went from "10 chapters max" to "10-12" :whistle:

No, that's still
inb4 obligatory comment about me being the alt acc of a certain user :Kappa:
as another alt of felice/ached/fuck if I know, they're all the same person, I have to disagree.
jaye is the best girl but tarebear is a reeeeeaaaaaaaally close second best

Reactions: schinoize

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Is there any scientific explanation for the irrefutable fact that Quinn' scenes have the best music? :unsure:
There is a clear science behind it. Straight from DPCs mouth (or pen, or keyboard or what-the-fuck-ever):

"The characters I do enjoy writing for the most are, in no particular order: Derek, Quinn, Isabella and Jade."
"Rarely do I need to play the scene and the song simultaneously to know that it is right. Again, it just clicks upon hearing the song. Some of these examples would be "Time to rise by Kensington Studios", which, to me, truly elevates Quinn's scene."
"The topic of having a character theme is interesting. I've tried to match songs with characters already. The main character has acoustic guitar songs, Jill has piano themes, Quinn/Riona often get edgier soundtracks."

DPC likes Quinn's character.

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
There is a clear science behind it. Straight from DPCs mouth (or pen, or keyboard or what-the-fuck-ever):

"The characters I do enjoy writing for the most are, in no particular order: Derek, Quinn, Isabella and Jade."
"Rarely do I need to play the scene and the song simultaneously to know that it is right. Again, it just clicks upon hearing the song. Some of these examples would be "Time to rise by Kensington Studios", which, to me, truly elevates Quinn's scene."
"The topic of having a character theme is interesting. I've tried to match songs with characters already. The main character has acoustic guitar songs, Jill has piano themes, Quinn/Riona often get edgier soundtracks."

DPC likes Quinn's character.
Of course DPC likes the character Quinn. I assume that DPC likes every character he creates. Heck, even the Madame has several scenes in the game.:eek::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Redd23
4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes