• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and search functions will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 9 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.
Jan 15, 2019
So, just a general question. At the beginning of every game there's a warning letting you know that it's an adult game and every character is 18 and/or older (even if they look 13). Which is fine by me. So why does almost every single game have to mention the characters ages multiple times? Also why does there always have to be a character that just celebrated their 18th birthday?

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
So, just a general question. At the beginning of every game there's a warning letting you know that it's an adult game and every character is 18 and/or older (even if they look 13). Which is fine by me. So why does almost every single game have to mention the characters ages multiple times? Also why does there always have to be a character that just celebrated their 18th birthday?
For legal reasons. It protects the developer. Just like how every game asks if you're 18 years old or older, there's nothing stopping a 13 year old from playing every game on this website, but by asking if players are 18 and saying not to play in you're under 18 they've legally protected themselves.

It's the same with character ages, you think some characters look 13 others will disagree, they're stated to be 18 because that's what they're intended to be. You can't sue the developer or get the game taken down for **********.

A character who is only recently 18 allows for a more believable naive and inexperienced character than say someone who just turned 23 or 21.

Reactions: Vleder

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Funny thing about disclaimers, is that the ones used for AVNS, have no legal value whatsoever, neither do the age check, as there's no secure check (ID/online etc.), they have zero value. It's just a make belief thing, the devs believe will protect them.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

TL/DR: They're there, because devs mistakenly believe it will protect them, while they have zero legal value, and will offer them absolutely no protection.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: S1nsational

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Funny thing about disclaimers, is that the ones used for AVNS, have no legal value whatsoever, neither do the age check, as there's no secure check (ID/online etc.), they have zero value. It's just a make belief thing, the devs believe will protect them.

TL/DR: They're there, because devs mistakenly believe it will protect them, while they have zero legal value, and will offer them absolutely no protection.
Interesting, I wonder how much that all varies by legal jurisdiction. I do remember hearing that what is or isn't considered illegal material varies from place to place, and often times depending on circumstance. So a lot of places don't bother with anything that doesn't involve actual children because they're focused on saving actual children from trafficking etc.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Interesting, I wonder how much that all varies by legal jurisdiction. I do remember hearing that what is or isn't considered ********** varies from place to place, and often times depending on circumstance. So a lot of places don't bother with anything that doesn't involve actual children because they're focused on saving actual children from trafficking etc.
I'll reply to you by pm, since we're really off topic now :)

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020

It matters for Steam. You cannot leave ANY room for interpretation. If there is a grey area at all in regards to a characters numerical maturity, you get banned. It's for this reason that both Kaylee and Bailey are drilled into the players head that they are both 18, and thus legally adults. Not once. Not twice. But numerous times. Not only that, but they have both completed school.

It absolutely matters.

Anime02

May 11, 2018
I am in need of a little spoiler. Am I able to break up with Hannah? I can't stand the girl! And I doubt I am even through the part of the story that would count as the 'proloque'.

• Angry

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
It matters for Steam. You cannot leave ANY room for interpretation. If there is a grey area at all in regards to a characters numerical maturity, you get banned. It's for this reason that both Kaylee and Bailey are drilled into the players head that they are both 18, and thus legally adults. Not once. Not twice. But numerous times. Not only that, but they have both completed school.

It absolutely matters.
I'll concede that it may matters for steam, although the same rule would apply for them. As a publisher they'd probably get a better protection if it was not advertised as such and so on (probably still get some fine at the very least though). But if a character doesn't look or act the part, and a lawsuit happens, I can guarantee you, it will not matter, and everyone that worked on it, will get more than a slap on the wrist.

I mean it as, well, the extreme lollies, where they CLEARLY don't even look 14 if even that, and behave like kids that barely learned how to wipe their own asses. Those, are a no brainer, and would get the max sentences and fine.

Rule #7 here, is really, well, subjective in its application. There are many games, including illusion/koikatsu, which are for all intent and purposes, exempt from said rule, just because they do not look as real as a Daz render. That, would also not hold as a defense. It's hard to put into words, and I certainly will NOT post any pictures/examples, or even name the games in questions, but I'm pretty sure you get the meaning :)

I think Bailey's fine though. Probably at the limit, but to me, that is NOT what I mean. She's just, innocent and inexperienced. I'd say you're on the good side of the thin line on her dialogues/attitude though. Physically however, she's just petite, at least that is how I see her model/renders, If I did not, I would not have bought the game, and I certainly would not be interacting with you or this thread in the way I am :D

I've also forgotten the usual business "technic" that's probably applied by Steam on this, false security. Just like when a security guard at work, ask the externals to go through the metal detector after having a smoke, in front of the building, while being visible at all time. It serves no purpose, other than to reassure people, because people are being "checked". I recon those worthless disclaimers, are the exact same thing... "look, it's all ok, we ask everyone to put up a legally worthless notice!" :)

Last edited:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I'll concede that it may matters for steam, although the same rule would apply for them. As a publisher they'd probably get a better protection if it was not advertised as such and so on (probably still get some fine at the very least though). But if a character doesn't look or act the part, and a lawsuit happens, I can guarantee you, it will not matter, and everyone that worked on it, will get more than a slap on the wrist.

I mean it as, well, the extreme lollies, where they CLEARLY don't even look 14 if even that, and behave like kids that barely learned how to wipe their own asses. Those, are a no brainer, and would get the max sentences and fine.

Rule #7 here, is really, well, subjective in its application. There are many games, including illusion/koikatsu, which are for all intent and purposes, exempt from said rule, just because they do not look as real as a Daz render. That, would also not hold as a defense. It's hard to put into words, and I certainly will NOT post any pictures/examples, or even name the games in questions, but I'm pretty sure you get the meaning :)

I think Bailey's fine though. Probably at the limit, but to me, that is NOT what I mean. She's just, innocent and inexperienced. I'd say you're on the good side of the thin line on her dialogues/attitude though. Physically however, she's just petite, at least that is how I see her model/renders, If I did not, I would not have bought the game, and I certainly would not be interacting with you or this thread in the way I am :D

I've also forgotten the usual business "technic" that's probably applied by Steam on this, false security. Just like when a security guard at work, ask the externals to go through the metal detector after having a smoke, in front of the building, while being visible at all time. It serves no purpose, other than to reassure people, because people are being "checked". I recon those worthless disclaimers, are the exact same thing... "look, it's all ok, we ask everyone to put up a legally worthless notice!" :)
That, as far as I am aware, is called "Security Theater" it is a very wasteful, mind-boggling way to combat moral panics. We know it doesn't do anything, everyone involved knows, yet, it MUST be done so it can be pointed at and scream "We are doing something".

I wouldn't mind a slightly more mature Bailey. As she is she doesn't bother me, but I have to say, she's really at the limit. IRL even when I was 16 I would stay away from a girl like that. Maybe it was my luck, but even on 7th grade and up, all girls acted and looked way older than that, from what I recall... (It was a really long time ago).

Peace :)

Dachmar

Sep 7, 2020
I love it! I, like many, downloaded it here first to try, and then had to support you! I enjoy the storytelling and, more than once, I have thought it would be a blast to play a D&D campaign you were running. Thank you and well done!!

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
That, as far as I am aware, is called "Security Theater" it is a very wasteful, mind-boggling way to combat moral panics. We know it doesn't do anything, everyone involved knows, yet, it MUST be done so it can be pointed at and scream "We are doing something".

I wouldn't mind a slightly more mature Bailey. As she is she doesn't bother me, but I have to say, she's really at the limit. IRL even when I was 16 I would stay away from a girl like that. Maybe it was my luck, but even on 7th grade and up, all girls acted and looked way older than that, from what I recall... (It was a really long time ago).

Peace :)
I'll have to agree with that. She is probably just at the limit. She may need a spike of maturity in her dialogues. I recon the model's fine really, but she may be a bit too innocent dialogue wise.

Reactions: FatGiant
4.40 star(s) 57 Votes