VN Ren'Py Completed Chasing Beth [v1.0.2] [Tora Productions]

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes

jrwizzard

Sep 4, 2020
Hey jrwizzard, thank you for your review. Yes, I remember our conversation about Walkthroughs vividly. It influenced my take on them and impacted my design of this game in a way that unquestionably made the story better.

I've started work on a new game, and in that one I've got a scheme where you can choose to set "Walkthrough Mode" on the Preferences scene and, if you do, it'll mark the choices that give you points. So, if you don't like the gameplay elements, you can turn on WT and pretty much avoid them. But if you DO like the gameplay elements, you can leave it off and not be affected by it.

Tlaero
I have seen something like that in a few games, I always use the WT :)

I cant remember the game name, but I recall one where after each chapter it compared your choices to other players, that might be useful to gather real data. I imagine that not a very good percentage of people leave a review, so anonymous data might give you a different perspective to how people enjoy your work. Just a thought.

Thanks again for sharing your hard work, I look forward to your next title.

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
I've started work on a new game, and in that one I've got a scheme where you can choose to set "Walkthrough Mode" on the Preferences scene and, if you do, it'll mark the choices that give you points. So, if you don't like the gameplay elements, you can turn on WT and pretty much avoid them. But if you DO like the gameplay elements, you can leave it off and not be affected by it.
Damn, that sounds like a 5/5 game for me already...

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Chasing Beth, now in German
AbyssalEros has done a German translation for our most recent game, Chasing Beth.

It's now listed as version 1.0.2 but the only change is the new language. If you're playing one of the previous languages (English, Spanish, French, or Italian) there's no need to re-download.

PC/Linux:

Mac:

Enjoy!

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I don't understand. None of what you said is true. Serena didn't even know Joel when she was working with Paul.

Tlaero

Reactions: Grosconnard

samrolfe

May 23, 2020
I think I can safely say, this has got to be one of the best things I have ever found on here, during the journey I laughed and I cried. As a veteran, it evoked many emotions in me. Good job!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Raife

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Thank you samrolfe. I was very cognizant of the veteran story in CB, and I was worried that I didn't do it justice. I'm very relieved to hear that you liked it.

Tlaero

Reactions: samrolfe

fiona96

Apr 9, 2020
Hey Tlaero. Just wanted to add to the discussion.
First off, great game. Loved the characters and story. I really appreciated that we start with a couple in a relationship already. Nothing wrong with the falling in love/chasing aspect but its refreshing, you get to fun sex sooner, see how regular sex in a long term can be and grow from that vs the usual first kiss etc. I hope you use this approach more often.

Second, I thought the sex column from the "couple" was a cool idea and actually kind of clever how it as incorporated in the game. I wasn't really bothered by the checkpoint/"game over" screens, actually kind of liked it and thought lessons were a cool spin. Having to view all the advice before unlocking final sex scene I felt was a little condescending but I just push my ego aside and played on since you probably just want all your work seen. My only critique of that was pretty much all of the tips/advice was aimed at a male partner. Understandably since its a male protagonist and I assume most of the players are male as well, but it would be interesting to see more insight what female advice there could've been toward couples (hints at assertiveness etc.). I know there was some but it seemed for very specific situations if that makes sense.

Fingering peehole not my thing. Kinda freaks me out to be honest but not everything has to be for me I guess...

All in all, a fantastic game from you and Mortze. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next game.

Mortze, Great game and it looks great!
Any thoughts on adding a bit more animation work?
And I'm sure you've heard this enough but when is Star wars 2 coming out? :)

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Hey Tlaero. Just wanted to add to the discussion.
First off, great game. Loved the characters and story. I really appreciated that we start with a couple in a relationship already. Nothing wrong with the falling in love/chasing aspect but its refreshing, you get to fun sex sooner, see how regular sex in a long term can be and grow from that vs the usual first kiss etc. I hope you use this approach more often.

Second, I thought the sex column from the "couple" was a cool idea and actually kind of clever how it as incorporated in the game. I wasn't really bothered by the checkpoint/"game over" screens, actually kind of liked it and thought lessons were a cool spin. Having to view all the advice before unlocking final sex scene I felt was a little condescending but I just push my ego aside and played on since you probably just want all your work seen. My only critique of that was pretty much all of the tips/advice was aimed at a male partner. Understandably since its a male protagonist and I assume most of the players are male as well, but it would be interesting to see more insight what female advice there could've been toward couples (hints at assertiveness etc.). I know there was some but it seemed for very specific situations if that makes sense.

Fingering peehole not my thing. Kinda freaks me out to be honest but not everything has to be for me I guess...

All in all, a fantastic game from you and Mortze. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next game.

Mortze, Great game and it looks great!
Any thoughts on adding a bit more animation work?
And I'm sure you've heard this enough but when is Star wars 2 coming out? :)
Hello, thank you for your insight.
About animations my reasoning is that until 1/DAZ provides a proper animation workset and 2/I get good at animating, I won't put many or any animations in the game anymore because I was always disappointed about them. I know that my art isn't perfect and it has many flaws but most are the result of me not seeing them or discarding them because they are insignificant. Poor animations destroy a lot of the art in my opinion and I don't want to risk that for now.
SW2 is being on hold while we are doing Toro7.

Reactions: bacienvu88

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Thank you, Fiona!

Having to view all the advice before unlocking final sex scene I felt was a little condescending but I just push my ego aside and played on since you probably just want all your work seen. My only critique of that was pretty much all of the tips/advice was aimed at a male partner. Understandably since its a male protagonist and I assume most of the players are male as well, but it would be interesting to see more insight what female advice there could've been toward couples (hints at assertiveness etc.). I know there was some but it seemed for very specific situations if that makes sense.
The main intent for the "Tanya and Tony give advice" scenes was as a mechanism to give the player hints on what they should do differently when they failed. Regardless of the gender of the player, T&T were talking to Joel, who is male.

Sorry that viewing the advice felt condescending. That certainly wasn't my intent. If anything, I expected that people who needed to view those scenes in the gallery would have felt good that they got through the game without needing T&T's advice.

I did want people to see the T&T content, since it gave insights into their characters. You should have seen some of the bad ideas I tried before settling in on the gallery approach. :)

Tlaero

fiona96

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you, Fiona!

The main intent for the "Tanya and Tony give advice" scenes was as a mechanism to give the player hints on what they should do differently when they failed. Regardless of the gender of the player, T&T were talking to Joel, who is male.

Sorry that viewing the advice felt condescending. That certainly wasn't my intent. If anything, I expected that people who needed to view those scenes in the gallery would have felt good that they got through the game without needing T&T's advice.

I did want people to see the T&T content, since it gave insights into their characters. You should have seen some of the bad ideas I tried before settling in on the gallery approach. :)

Tlaero
No need for apologies. I want to re-emphasize that it was a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed the story, characters, art, & the sex. My only request is if you say that the characters had sex for the rest of the night, show it! I get that invested I only want more to a scene like the one in the end haha. Thanks again!

iundermine

Aug 23, 2017
Really loving the Elsaverse. Is there more content in the pipeline? Or is it on hold for your other works right now?

Dec 11, 2021
Hi,

Funny, for me this was a 20 Minute game.. and I don't know if I want to go the other path.

I don't want to Experience what Joel does. Being with someone who wasn't fully with him... and still being with this person and knowing there is another person in her head and heart? ... I could not do this.
It would shatter my heart. The trust would be lost from this point...

All that written not knowing what else is happening in the VN.

I really appreciate the artwork and writing itself. Not a fan of bushes though.
Saw typo still and maybe even wrong name. But not 100% sure.

Regards

jufot

May 15, 2021
The trust would be lost from this point...
I feel the opposite. It takes serious guts to admit you have feelings for another to your partner. It's honest, courageous and commendable. If anything, I'd trust her more for making the difficult choice of being honest with me, when a simple lie would have been so much easier.

Reactions: bacienvu88
4.40 star(s) 17 Votes