Bloodly

Feb 27, 2019
Chastity Quest: Chasing the Next Release

Honestly.....sounds like the constant chase for adult games. So many that never get anywhere. Few that are actually 'good'. So many cash grabs.

zorin0815

Mar 30, 2019
mod it till it breaks
.. which typically happens between the second and third mod and isn't reversible thereafter .. (Tried with F4)
I was hoping for something like a "basic mod pack": Install skyrim, add mod pack and start to get going from there ..

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

The Developers of Visual Novel Maker have gotten back to me with an "emergency fix" solution for the 'stuck backgrounds' bug! They haven't yet been able to fix/update the engine, but they provided me with script files that would brute force fix the issue. INCLUDING repairing any saved games you already have the bug on! I will be replacing all of the download links for the game, over the next several hours (this game is big enough and there are enough links that it will take a while). However, as I don't want everyone to have to suffer through the large download again, I've also created patches for Windows and Mac.

Just extract the content of the zip file into the game directory and overwrite everything it askes. Note! If you are loading a save with the bug, you can fix it by opening the settings menu (Right-click on windows, not sure on Mac), simply opening the settings menu and then hitting 'back' to get back to the game, should cause the stuck background to clear.

The patch also repairs the bugs fixed in the previous small patch, as well as one or two others. I don't know if it fixes the occasional random crashes (or the Blacksmith Shop Crashes two people have reported). I suspect they had the same source, so the patch may fix them. However, is someone is still getting those random crashes after the patch please report them again, so I know that specific issue isn't fixed!

P.S. - I almost forgot, the developer warned that this isn't an 'official' (read: fully tested) fix. And asked me to send along any reports about errors that it causes. They don't think there will be any, but if something does break in a new and interesting way after you install the patch, please let me know so I can inform them!

P.P.S. - I Re-Enabled the skip feature since it was mostly disabled to help minimize the stuck bug (which happened more often with it on). Use at your own risk...but it should be okay.

Yes I've extracted it
Thank you for the screenshots! That actually helped me track down the issue. Apparently, this is actually a known problem with certain specific Mac OSX distributions, that is a shared issue between both RPG Maker and Visual Novel Maker (the latter of which is the engine for Chastity Quest). The issue appears to stem from security settings, with the Mac OS not wanting you to run software from an unknown publisher (which would include any and all RPG maker/Visual Novel Maker games). I found a number of threads with solutions, , while older, seemed to have the largest number of common solutions combined in a single thread. If none of them work for you, I can dig around for more details! Unfortunately, as I don't have access to a MAC myself, I can only pass on solutions for you to try, rather than give you an exact fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: _DarkDesires_

hextecneko

Feb 5, 2019
In my experience, open-source solutions are usually less stable, not more. Ren'py is an extremely odd exception to that. And even there, it might be stable...but a lot about its structure and the choices made for it are just plain weird, which is another common result of open source projects.

----
It's not nearly as early as you might think -_-. I do, in fact, have an actual programming degree...but I'm a slow coder and this is NOT my job (though it would be nice if someday it could be! :p). It's one of multiple game projects I do on the side (I'm still actively developing The Dungeon of Lewdity at the same time) that I do on top of a 40 hour a week day job. It would take me very literally months to transfer everything I have over to Ren'py, particularly as I'd have to code many of the systems that are pre-existing in VN maker into Ren'py. I'm not sure how much you've done with Ren'py...but that engine honestly isn't made for the way I tend to stretch the meaning of 'visual novel' to include RPG stat systems and the like. It can be done (I've done it before with two other games), but it's awkward and painful to code, since these sort of free-exploration RPGs aren't even really visual novels (strictly speaking, they REALLY aren't, but western game devs like me have stretched the genre to include them) and therefore VN engines aren't really made for them... Add in the fact that I HATE coding with the burning passion of a thousand supernova (precisely because I did get a degree in it. Like many people, a four-year college degree only served to kill any and all joy I once had it something), and being forced to switch engines would probably just flat kill the project at this point.

Well, probably not...at the moment it feels like it would because I overreached badly in the last couple of months and the burnout is getting to me. More likely I'd have to put it on the backburner for a few months and only work on it when I could do so without screaming, though, which would delay any new content for a godawful amount of time. I'd hate for this to turn into one of those projects that seems to be perpetually stuck in 'engine changes' or 'graphics improvements' or 'new feature you never asked for' and never sees actual new content -_-.

----

As for the interpreter: Trust me, I know. I actually had to write an interpreter from scratch in college, for one of my classes in my final year. It was hell...and was followed up by having to write a linker, which was even worse -_-. Those two projects were part of what finally made me want to feed by programming textbooks into a woodchiper. Slowly. So the cursed things would feel more pain as the devil came for their black hearts.

As for the whitespace making things nicer and more readable, I actually personally find it the opposite. Properly coded brackets are much easier for me to track. Since, if they are done RIGHT, rather than sloppy, they become markers for how far into a set of nested statements you are, by counting the brackets up quickly. Whereas with whitespace, if you're looking at a long chunk of code three screens down from where the class/function started, you have to painstakingly track back up to see where in the indent-hell you are or need to be, which is HARD since all the whitespace blends together, particularly for tired eyes. So with Ren'py's mess, I often found myself all but whimpering as I physically had to use a finger to track the indent I needed while scrolling through pages of code -_-. *shudder*

Yeah, there's a reason I switched engines. And I didn't try just VN maker either. I tried a half dozen different options, including Unity, Tyranno Builder, RPG maker, and VN Maker. VN Maker SEEMED like the best option.

*edit* P.S. Rereading that, realized it might have come off as confrontational. It wasn't meant to be :p. You've been nothing but helpful! Thanks again for all the help! I'm just a bit stressed out at the moment so I might have kinda ranted a bit. Sorry :-(.

The corrupted saves like is a known issue, please see other posts by me in this thread about it. Currently, there's a partial workaround (you can see that on the release post on my patreon). The crashes though, those are a bit concerning. Is there any pattern to them? It just crashes truly randomly? Or is it always in a certain part of the game? I'm still trying to track down a black screen issue someone is having in the blacksmith's shop....

Also, does it only happen after the game's been running for a while? I've begun to have a suspicion it may be leaking memory from somewhere...and I might know what's causing it since it's an issue I had to fix before.
yea its only after its been runing a while my saves also coroupted after this happened so i figured it was a memory leak only reason i posted i managed to play the entire game in one through doe so ima just wait till next content drop

redking211

Apr 27, 2018
found a bug if you right click during an amination it will stop it and nothing can be done other than closing the game

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
found a bug if you right click during an amination it will stop it and nothing can be done other than closing the game
Okay, that's...well beyond my ability to even know where to start with it. It's got to be an engine thing, I'll see about opening a bug report with the VN maker people about it (I have a sudden suspicion they are going to get very tired of me... -_-).

Just a suggestion:
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. I'm not sure how well it would play with all the mod textures and such, but I might just experiment with it at some point. Maybe not with Chastity Quest, though, since it would essentially mean I'd have to redo all of Hope's Rest :p. Which would be..not ideal...

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
There is a up, over on my patreon, for feedback about the structure of the game's sex scenes. How I did Chastity Quest's scenes is somewhat different than that of traditional VNs, using HD video clips liberally, and I want to know if people like it or would prefer to see more traditional VN scenes (structure-wise, this has nothing to do with using Skyrim or image quality). Currently, my patrons are heavily leaning towards preferring traditional still images and descriptive text, instead of as many video clips :p. So getting your two cents in could make a big difference one way or the other!

Vararth

Sep 21, 2017
Would love seeing this game with a better ENB, not sure how much effort it would take to redo all the scenes for that though. I seriously recommend using a better texture pack like Noble Skyrim or Tamriel Reloaded or just following Sinitar Gaming's mod guide for making Skyrim look better. Are you working on LE or SE? For both there are plenty of good ENBs made specifically for screenarchery, pretty sure you could find one with High Quality. I see you've mentioned that you're using 2k textures and are also using an ENB but it doesn't really show that much.

Great job on making this work! I'm using Vortex mod manager for my game and have a profile set up for loverslab mods, just haven't found time to play that yet! Your game is a great one, keep the updates rolling!

Following spoiler is just to show the magnitude of difference ENB makes

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

For facial animations, you could check out the following mods-

Last edited:

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Would love seeing this game with a better ENB, not sure how much effort it would take to redo all the scenes for that though. I seriously recommend using a better texture pack like Noble Skyrim or Tamriel Reloaded or just following Sinitar Gaming's mod guide for making Skyrim look better. Are you working on LE or SE? For both there are plenty of good ENBs made specifically for screenarchery, pretty sure you could find one with High Quality. I see you've mentioned that you're using 2k textures and are also using an ENB but it doesn't really show that much.

Great job on making this work! I'm using Vortex mod manager for my game and have a profile set up for loverslab mods, just haven't found time to play that yet! Your game is a great one, keep the updates rolling!

Following spoiler is just to show the magnitude of difference ENB makes

For facial animations, you could check out the following mods-

First, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like it so far! And please, please don't take the bit in ---- following this the wrong way :p. It's not only aimed at you, but everyone that's commented on the ENB thing :). I'm only replying to yours specifically as it's the most recent. Before that, though, to answer your specific question about LE/SE:

I'm using LE. This is not ideal and I'd personally prefer to be using SE (which is what I use myself when playing Skyrim). Unfortuantely, several of the critical mods I wanted for the sex scenes have never been ported to SE and I'm not about to try that myself. The creation kit and I are not on speaking terms. I consider that thing to be an aspect of the devil, meant to torture mankind for their more horrifying sins. You know, like speaking loudly in a movie theater or accidentally calling obese women pregnant when they aren't and causing them to need 5 pounds of chocolate to feel better. Now, for that ----- surrounded bit...

-----------------------

There's pretty much zero chance of redoing existing images with a new ENB, since that would require a good 100+ hours of work. Using one for new hubs areas would be something else...If I wasn't already using one.

*Comic Anime Tears*

Seriously, why does everybody seem to believe I'm running Skyrim without a major ENB or Texture Overhaul? I'm using several texture improvements, including as a general 2k texture overhaul. Likewise, all bodies in use are 4k bodies. And I was previously using the immensely popular for an ENB. Since, apparently, everyone thought that was no ENB at all, I've since replaced it with for images going forward. Unfortuantely, many of the ENBs specifically made for Screen Archery can't be realistically used for Chastity Quest. Part of that is that they are meant for screenshots and have a horrible performance drag, particularly in LE. Which means I couldn't do the video/animation segments at all, because it would produce stuttering in random places as the game fails to keep up. The OTHER part of it, though, is even less obvious. Specifically, that most of those SS specific ENBs do a lot of messing around with Depth of Field controls...which is only a good idea if you're taking still images at short range. Since I'm taking screens at all ranges, not just close-in posed shots, having a set DoF intended for either far distance or near distance isn't a great idea. I actually tried the first, back when I first set things up, and ran into both the performance issues, and the Depth of Field issues :-(.

Another point I want to pointedly point out is this: A lot of what everyone seems to think is poor mod choices on my part is, I think, actually the result of not quite computing that Chastity Quest itself is only 1080p and using jpg compression. That means that, no matter how good my original screenshots are, the images for the game aren't 2k/4k and you shouldn't expect them to be. The Visual Novel Maker engine slowed to a crawl when I tried using PNGs (hence the JPG compression, which I hate, as there's a notable quality drop between 1080p pngs and 1080p jpgs). You also shouldn't be playing the game at more than 1920x1080 window size (as the images will start breaking down), which probably means I need to shut off the auto-fullscreen thing on the next build.
-----------------------

Having gotten that out of the way, thank you for the animation suggestions...though I doubt they will be very helpful. The problem isn't that I'm not running facial animation improvements (I'm running several), but that I can't find a way to trigger an expression on purpose. I assume there must be a way, since Screenarchey people do it, but I haven't figured out how they are doing it...unless it's tied to their custom pose files, which is useless to me as I need to trigger JUST the facial expression, not a full pose change.

Reactions: Vararth

Vararth

Sep 21, 2017
First, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like it so far! And please, please don't take the bit in ---- following this the wrong way :p. It's not only aimed at you, but everyone that's commented on the ENB thing :). I'm only replying to yours specifically as it's the most recent. Before that, though, to answer your specific question about LE/SE:

I'm using LE. This is not ideal and I'd personally prefer to be using SE (which is what I use myself when playing Skyrim). Unfortuantely, several of the critical mods I wanted for the sex scenes have never been ported to SE and I'm not about to try that myself. The creation kit and I are not on speaking terms. I consider that thing to be an aspect of the devil, meant to torture mankind for their more horrifying sins. You know, like speaking loudly in a movie theater or accidentally calling obese women pregnant when they aren't and causing them to need 5 pounds of chocolate to feel better. Now, for that ----- surrounded bit...

-----------------------

There's pretty much zero chance of redoing existing images with a new ENB, since that would require a good 100+ hours of work. Using one for new hubs areas would be something else...If I wasn't already using one.

*Comic Anime Tears*

Seriously, why does everybody seem to believe I'm running Skyrim without a major ENB or Texture Overhaul? I'm using several texture improvements, including as a general 2k texture overhaul. Likewise, all bodies in use are 4k bodies. And I was previously using the immensely popular for an ENB. Since, apparently, everyone thought that was no ENB at all, I've since replaced it with for images going forward. Unfortuantely, many of the ENBs specifically made for Screen Archery can't be realistically used for Chastity Quest. Part of that is that they are meant for screenshots and have a horrible performance drag, particularly in LE. Which means I couldn't do the video/animation segments at all, because it would produce stuttering in random places as the game fails to keep up. The OTHER part of it, though, is even less obvious. Specifically, that most of those SS specific ENBs do a lot of messing around with Depth of Field controls...which is only a good idea if you're taking still images at short range. Since I'm taking screens at all ranges, not just close-in posed shots, having a set DoF intended for either far distance or near distance isn't a great idea. I actually tried the first, back when I first set things up, and ran into both the performance issues, and the Depth of Field issues :-(.

Another point I want to pointedly point out is this: A lot of what everyone seems to think is poor mod choices on my part is, I think, actually the result of not quite computing that Chastity Quest itself is only 1080p and using jpg compression. That means that, no matter how good my original screenshots are, the images for the game aren't 2k/4k and you shouldn't expect them to be. The Visual Novel Maker engine slowed to a crawl when I tried using PNGs (hence the JPG compression, which I hate, as there's a notable quality drop between 1080p pngs and 1080p jpgs). You also shouldn't be playing the game at more than 1920x1080 window size (as the images will start breaking down), which probably means I need to shut off the auto-fullscreen thing on the next build.
-----------------------

Having gotten that out of the way, thank you for the animation suggestions...though I doubt they will be very helpful. The problem isn't that I'm not running facial animation improvements (I'm running several), but that I can't find a way to trigger an expression on purpose. I assume there must be a way, since Screenarchey people do it, but I haven't figured out how they are doing it...unless it's tied to their custom pose files, which is useless to me as I need to trigger JUST the facial expression, not a full pose change.
Yes, I do understand the difference using SE and LE makes, I run both too but the screenshots I've added are from my LE build. SE does have many problems such as lack of loverslab mods and animations, and the issue regarding performance wrt screenarchery ENBs is also very valid. Although I realize the issue around 100's of hours of work going in to make the current build, I can't help but mention that having used a better ENB would have made a world of difference. I do sincerely hope Realvision works out for you. DoF problems with screenarchery do cause a lot of issues. I might suggest checking out for exteriors along with the ENB which comes along with it.

Again, I did enjoy the game so far, I have one pet peeve I'd like to mention though. I'm used to pressing the Esc key to pause games in general and at times it felt kinda rude when the game quit instead of pausing with the use of that Key (pressed instinctively). Apart from that the UI looks like it needs a bit of cleaning up but it works perfectly fine so no issues fro a gameplay perspective.

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
The earliest alpha version of . The trickle-down schedule looks like this:

$5+ Patrons have access to the Alpha testing version of Build 2 as of today.

$3+ Patrons (which make up the vast bulk of my patrons, due to other rewards) get access to the Beta build on the 14th of April. With any bugs from the Alpha hopefully fixed.

The release then Goes Public on the 30th of April, hopefully with no or minimal bugs. Though, of course, we already saw how that turned out with the first release -_-. Thankfully, I'm not expecting too many serious issues this time, as the new content didn't introduce any major new systems. I am expecting some fairly serious bugs from one of the new routes from the Alpha, at least, due to the path being a bit convoluted on the programming side.

I won't post the full release notes here, but a general summary of Build 2 is:

-----------------------

The new content for Build 2 takes the form of 3 separate routes you can unlock for the transit between Hope's Rest and New Landing (the second hub-area of the game) via passage aboard a ship (The Dawn's Rose). The routes featured are a Dominant Route, a Submissive Route, and a Default/Neutral Route, each leading to completely different content sets. Those content sets also feature a pair of new Major NPCs in the form of The Scarlett Sisters. In addition, there are also some new 'other' additions to the game, such as Fast Travel from Kiralia's room in Hope's Rest, a significantly revamped/expanded Credits Menu, Remapping the exit game key to NOT be the Escape Key.

------------------------

Due to all the time I had to spend squashing bugs from Build 1 this month, Build 2 isn't quite as large as I'd hoped, but still contains a decent amount of content. It also reflects the feedback provided by both Patrons and The Public from the polls I ran regarding the structure of the sex scenes. The vast, VAST majority of people seemed to want a more traditional VN type experience, with numerous still images and descriptions of what's going on, over the video clips I was experimenting with. As such, Build 2 content reflects my efforts to shift in that direction, though as I had already had some of the videos by the time the poll results became clear-cut, it's currently a bit in-between, with a few of the original style of longer videos mixed in.

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Finally got edit privileges for the main post. Updated the links from the original buggy Build 1 links to the bugfixed Build 1 links, at least where the links were mine (I don't have a nopy account, so those must have been added by an uploader). If you want to be sure you have the right links, it's still best to get them from . Even if you aren't a patron, the overview always has links to the current public release post (and it's official links).

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Are you still on track for the public release or did something get into the way of it? I am curious to see where this is going.
The public release of Build 2 happened early in the A.M. today, actually! It was technically a few hours delayed, due to the need to reupload to a few of the download platforms, which for some reason had deleted the original patron-release files -_-. Anyway, I just updated the links on the main post! Hope you enjoy :).

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Build 3, finally introducing the second Hub Area of the game, has been released for testing by my $5+ Patrons! The city of New Landing will eventually be a much larger quest/content Hub than Hope's Rest (which was basically an intro area). It got two of its core buildings added in Build 3: The New Landing Brothel and the New Landing Mage's Guild Chapter. The new Build adds 16 new scenes of varying length, as well as a new feature in the form of a spell that will allow Kiralia to be futafied (temporarily).

Build 3 will become available to $3 patrons on the 15th and to the Public on the 31st. Roughly (releases often end up being early A.M. the day after those dates, due to my own personal work schedule)

--------------------------------------------------

Build 3 Release Notes:

As mentioned above, Build 3 introduces the Brothel and the Mage's Guild of New Landing. Between them, the contain 15 new sex scenes and two new Major NPCs, though neither Major NPC has very much content just yet...

The Brothel: The Pleasure Palace, owned by Madam Roslyn, is the largest brothel in the entire region. Speak to Madam Roslyn about a chance to work there! Contained within are:

- 4 regular scenes to provide male/female client options for both a belted and unbelted Kiralia.

- 4 Unlockable Dom/Sub scenes. A special thanks to Urban Sniper for inspiring the core idea for the Sub Scenes!

- 3 Scenes specific to a Futanari Kiralia...if you can figure out how! (It's....not exactly hard...)

The Mage's Guild: The New Landing Chapter of the Mage's Guild is now open to you! You can join, if you want, in hopes of getting answers about or help with that annoying belt. This edition also comes with a new Stat on the character menu, Magic Skill, which can be raised by training with a couple of tutors once you join the guild. Speaking of those tutors and other stuff in the guild...

- 2 New Scenes with the Elydra, a minor character (the practical magic tutor).

- 2 New Scenes with Jaren, a minor character (the magical theory tutor

- A means to futa-transform Kiralia, temporarily!

Other:

- A new scene at the New Landing Adventurer's Guild, where Kiralia can masturbate (different animation from Hope's Rest) if she is unbelted...

- As reported by a patron, it was hard to see text in the boobjob scene Aboard the Dawn's Rose. That should be fixed now.

- Various typo fixes.

- Probably something else I'm forgetting since I'm totally exhausted.

- *Update* I totally did actually forget a thing. The Credits Menu has been updated. Both adding a page for New Landing, and adding some new $10 patrons.

Reactions: Gigalomaniac

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
GOD! using SKYRIM to make a game doesn't scream creative or inspired to me.

EDIT: If you're gonna use SKYRIM to create a game... at least use a decent ENB and Hi-res textures, just saying. :unsure:
lol, I guess I could just upload my Skyrim SE and anyone could play all the BDSM they wanted. (Thank you Tara) Of course I would never do that to all the incredibly talented Mod Dev. on L.L. To each his own I guess.

Kethrian

Oct 5, 2018
The game will not launch for me. The pop-up box mentioned something about webGL not running, but I verified that I do have it and that it does work (in firefox).

After the 2nd time trying to launch, it no longer would launch at all.

Here is the debug file it generated.

3.60 star(s) 8 Votes