VN Ren'Py Abandoned Coming Home is Never Easy [Prologue] [Caveboomer Productions]

1.60 star(s) 5 Votes

eddie987

Dec 5, 2018
Well, that started off well, but then the devs went overboard (as it seems to happen very often recently) with the whole "everyone got raped" thing, just so they can add as much drama as possible to the story. And no, I don't care if they're going to introduce virgins later on as a "compensation" to those who don't like that type of content/backstories. I don't have a fetish for virgins (as long as I don't have to see a LI banging someone else, I don't really care if she's a virgin or not) and I find rape to be the cheapest/laziest way to evoke feelings of sympathy for someone, even more so in this case where pretty much everyone in this family got raped by the same person... There are a lot of other types of abused (physical and/or mental) that would still justify Ashey's action and give the girls "issues" that need to be solved/dealt with, if that was the reason behind that backstory.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a dick here, so I'm sorry if anyone felt that my criticism was harsh, but I was really disappointed by the way the second part of the prologue turned out. I don't think I'll come back for the next release, so I'll just wish the devs good luck with their game!

Lady Lydia

Sep 18, 2019
It's the first release, we haven't had any history of the world yet, give it time.
You can have some degree of historical awareness just by how similar things seem to be, same military, same law enforcement, same legal system, same political system, same economical system, same social system, same technology... the butterfly effect is a thing, and the introduction of a new sentient race should have caused a massive divergence in... everything. Every unique aspects of their civilization should have been impacting drastically the world.

Like I said with Shadowrun its more understandable that the divergence isn't all encompassing because their was a sudden change that began altering the world one day out of nowhere, but here if its the case of a world where two races + existed it should have had a series of drastic consequences. Their are 4 scenarios possible: 1) Humans wiped out the elves, which mean Elven blooded people would have likely been considered the inferiors to the Humans, like black people were in real life, which isn't the case here, 2) Elves dominate humans, like the Show on Netflix 'Bright', where the Elves are basically at the top with any other races beneath them as subservient, which mean however unlike 'Bright' that Elven Culture should have been the dominant culture, not Human, which was one issue with 'Bright' that didn't make sense, 3) the two races effectively merged together overtime creating a race of effectively Half-Elf, which is seemingly the case here, but the problem is the two races should have also melded culturally, while here it seem to be near absolutely Human Culture. Any races that would be longer lived would have put more emphasis on their culture, so if the two had melded together Elven Culture should have came out fairly strong, 4) the last possible scenario, the two races are divided each living in their own little corner of the world separated, if that was the case all those obviously Elven blooded character should have a culture that is very different from the American Culture they obviously have in this game. So considering those 4 options this game is following... none, which doesn't work.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
You can have some degree of historical awareness just by how similar things seem to be, same military, same law enforcement, same legal system, same political system, same economical system, same social system, same technology... the butterfly effect is a thing, and the introduction of a new sentient race should have caused a massive divergence in... everything. Every unique aspects of their civilization should have been impacting drastically the world.

Like I said with Shadowrun its more understandable that the divergence isn't all encompassing because their was a sudden change that began altering the world one day out of nowhere, but here if its the case of a world where two races + existed it should have had a series of drastic consequences. Their are 4 scenarios possible: 1) Humans wiped out the elves, which mean Elven blooded people would have likely been considered the inferiors to the Humans, like black people were in real life, which isn't the case here, 2) Elves dominate humans, like the Show on Netflix 'Bright', where the Elves are basically at the top with any other races beneath them as subservient, which mean however unlike 'Bright' that Elven Culture should have been the dominant culture, not Human, which was one issue with 'Bright' that didn't make sense, 3) the two races effectively merged together overtime creating a race of effectively Half-Elf, which is seemingly the case here, but the problem is the two races should have also melded culturally, while here it seem to be near absolutely Human Culture. Any races that would be longer lived would have put more emphasis on their culture, so if the two had melded together Elven Culture should have came out fairly strong, 4) the last possible scenario, the two races are divided each living in their own little corner of the world separated, if that was the case all those obviously Elven blooded character should have a culture that is very different from the American Culture they obviously have in this game. So considering those 4 options this game is following... none, which doesn't work.
It's shown a few things from one perspective.

It hasn't shown anything of the Elven side of things yet, you've just jumped to a massive set of conclusions.

Elves more than likely have their own countries with their things going on. Dev said he'd get into more detail as it progresses.

Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

Lady Lydia

Sep 18, 2019
Doubtful the Elves have their own country as the vibe the story give off is that pure Elves are non-existent or ridiculously rare, which again go with the 'Hybrid Race' option, also again did you fail to notice most characters are clearly Elven blooded? If the elves had their country as you say, all those clearly Elven blooded would have had to have more of an Elven Culture, yet its American all the way. Sure the Dev could come up with something else later, but their is plenty of reality exposed that a obviously Elven blooded population is absolutely lacking Elven Culture with the sole exception of a language that seem to be akin to Latin or Ancient Greek, something of a dead language, which seem to imply that the human and elven race bred themselves together to largely the oblivion of the Elven race at least.

Now considering that Kasey was saved from people trying to unlock the secret of Elven longevity, it should mean if their are pure Humans, those would likely be it, considering again that Elven Language seem to be spoken as a dead language, it mean the pureblooded Elves are likely all but extinct, which mean if true Elves are gone, and Humans are the ones living in the Middle-East... the characters we see are visibly Elven blooded, yet they have a nigh absolutely Human Culture, not a single sign of Elven Culture outside of a dead language.

The thing is this, modern civilization is built strongly on the foundations of older civilizations, American Civilization? Its the New Roman Empire, primarily influenced by the Roman Culture and the Greek Culture, if the Elven Culture was akin to the Roman & Ancient Greek Civilizations, their should have clear signs to indicate a significant divergence from current civilization, in particular considering that since the characters show clearly Elven blood, it mean it would be part of them at a cultural level too.

• Angry
Reactions: Avaron1974

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Everyone is missing the main point.

1. MC was raped by the father at 10 years old.
2. MC was chased out of the house with the threat of death at 10 years old.
3. MC is not allowed any contact with anyone from his old house for many years, if the count is right then its about 16-18 years.
4. MC is forced to come to the reading of the will where everything is given away to the so called step family.
5. MC is giving a """JOB""" as the grounds keeper, FUCKING REALLY A JOB AND A FUCKING LETTER.

If I was the MC I would walk out the door throwing the letter in the trash as I was leaving and go back home.

Even in death the father is fucking MC.

Time to unwatch this thread.

keymon2

Jun 23, 2017
Okay, so i regret reading comments up to this post. i have not play this yet, and i will after this post. my rule for any is that they have a decent amount of content before i play them, due to alot of vn's getting abandoned

from what i read from the comments alone this feels like grisaia in a sense, which isnt bad at all, i hope the creators stick to what they imagine and not swayed others

keymon2

Jun 23, 2017
its not bad, just some issues with how some scenes were done
and i was completely wrong with that i thought, but things happened
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
again its not bad

Last edited:

punisher2099

Forum Fanatic
Feb 25, 2020
I'm...not even sure what to say to that...this family will need a lot of professional help. Some of those revelations i read with gritted teeth and teary eyes. Can we bring John back to life so we can kill him again..and again...and again...

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
the characters we see are visibly Elven blooded, yet they have a nigh absolutely Human Culture, not a single sign of Elven Culture outside of a dead language.
All a conclusion you've jumped to based on 5 minutes of gameplay.

Nothing has been mentioned in detail you're just making shit up and passing it off as fact like you know the lore when no lore has been explained.

You say the Elven language is a dead language yet the Elves in the room all know it, only the humans didn't know what it meant which stands to reason because who knows every language....

Nothing you have said, absolutely nothing at all, has any factual evidence. Stop making shit up and let the dev tell the damn story.

Also considering they spent years in a unit shutting down those labs where they rescued thousands and lost thousands more they aren't rare.

And how do you know they have no country?

Again, no details have been mentioned you are literally inventing shit that hasn't been said in game. You've just made up your own story based on nothing.

Jethro Hatfield

Developer of the Valkyrion Project trilogy
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2017
I understand most are uncomfortable and unsettled by the initial tone of our story, however I can tell you this: As dark as this seems now, know remember what Kasey said Andru'il stood for... Bearer of Light and Flame. There will be redemption, recovery, healing.

When designing this story I wanted it to be moving on an emotional level, and it seems so far I've succeeded in that aspect, going off of the comments so far.

But please know this is not going to be dark through the entire story, it will get better.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I understand most are uncomfortable and unsettled by the initial tone of our story, however I can tell you this: As dark as this seems now, know remember what Kasey said Andru'il stood for... Bearer of Light and Flame. There will be redemption, recovery, healing.
So yeah, MC is either Gwyn or The Lord of Cinder (with Cleric Spells) u.u time to let him use Lightning Spears u.u

Jethro Hatfield

Game Developer
Dec 2, 2017
Demoness_Kiss Haha, no... nothing like Lightning Spears... but what he can do is help the girls overcome their issues, and fight for their safety. Think of him more as...Gandalf riding over the hill at dawn to Helm's deep. That beacon of hope, when all hope seems lost.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Demoness_Kiss Haha, no... nothing like Lightning Spears... but what he can do is help the girls overcome their issues, and fight for their safety. Think of him more as...Gandalf riding over the hill at dawn to Helm's deep. That beacon of hope, when all hope seems lost.
so no bonfires to come back?XD No Blighttowns to deal with?XD No Nameless Kings to fight?...good u.u

Mar 27, 2019
Ok, just started part 2 of the prologue and just got past the reading of the will, so I haven't gotten to the stuff everyone else is talking about yet. I started off really liking this game, but I have to kinda agree w/ a1fox3...I mean what in the ACTUAL fuck...my inheritance is a JOB??? On not one, but TWO estates as groundskeeper??? I would dig up my father, piss in his mouth, burn the corpse, then piss on the ashes again....IN FULL VIEW OF THE WHOLE FAMILY!!!! And dare someone to say a goddamn thing. I'm gonna stick with the game, cuz I started out liking it and hope that things can only go up from there, but had I been the MC...might've punched the lawyer dead in the mouth for dragging me to that shit.

Reactions: a1fox3 and ontach

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Ok, just started part 2 of the prologue and just got past the reading of the will, so I haven't gotten to the stuff everyone else is talking about yet. I started off really liking this game, but I have to kinda agree w/ a1fox3...I mean what in the ACTUAL fuck...my inheritance is a JOB??? On not one, but TWO estates as groundskeeper??? I would dig up my father, piss in his mouth, burn the corpse, then piss on the ashes again....IN FULL VIEW OF THE WHOLE FAMILY!!!! And dare someone to say a goddamn thing. I'm gonna stick with the game, cuz I started out liking it and hope that things can only go up from there, but had I been the MC...might've punched the lawyer dead in the mouth for dragging me to that shit.
let's keep in mind that at that point, MC has a successful job as a manager of a company that does security services(i've a friend that has a job in that area, and if you don't screw up, even a random guard, can do pretty decent...like €1300/month, excluding overwork, and that week a month when you're must be constantly available in case of emergencies, which usually it's like a week when you get a little bonus in your salary...and the MC is the manager of this kind of company...)

What the father expected? That MC would be a depressed jobless homeless loser who needs pity-money?Why?Because he had a low opinion about him?

that would bring him closer to his step-family...but it's like being the Hagrid of the family...and what? Once MC finishes with one of the houses, he stands up and goes to deal with the other? No time for resting?

PS: Jethro Hatfield don't mind me, i'm talking for the fun of it XD

Reactions: ontach

Jethro Hatfield

Game Developer
Dec 2, 2017
Demoness_Kiss Nah, you're good. This is the kind of talk I don't mind seeing bouncing around the thread. You're kind of close to the mark with John's thoughts anyway. :D

1.60 star(s) 5 Votes