3.50 star(s) 125 Votes

PPE2RedDucks

Oct 3, 2018
I started playing for the daughter, and I'd like to finish with the daughter, but at this point it's looking like I'll wind up enjoying the Heidi ending more.

I'd be curious to know why you bring up the difference between paying and non-paying player's comments. I mean, people who pay to support you already think the game is great or they wouldn't be supporting it. That's not to say that people can't change their minds, but if they already enjoy it that much it's not surprising that you'd see less deviation and disagreement. Conversely though, it makes it seem like you're calling the people who don't pay ungrateful freeloaders, because they're the only one's you think are criticising the story's direction.

But, let's give you the benefit of the doubt, and for a second assume that's not the implication you're making. What is the point you're trying to make with the comparison of paying and non-paying players? What exactly do you believe is the correlation?
I suppose Palmer will answer that if he/she sees and it and feels like replying, but I think that "difference" is partly explained here?:

- implying (I think) some people might not have followed the whole story, got the full gist, and yet take exception to this or that plot twist. Because they have an allergic reaction to one or other character.

FWIW - and this is just a view, of someone who is not a patron btw - I think it's surely fair enough if developers pay heed to the people who keep them going (livelihood and morale) first, and those who dip in and play along second (which is far from meaning they disregard non-patrons). I think "ungrateful freeloaders" is a pugnacious term of your own, that tends to inflame the discussion if you are imputing it to Palmer - the developer having made it clear in more than one post that all decent feedback matters, and is listened to.

But wouldn't you, in almost any type of work (or life), pay first attention to those who sustain you?

I play this game, and haven't yet paid. I've expressed views, here and elsewhere. Most appreciative, some mildly (adversely) critical, though not as far as I know unfair. And I'd have thought all reasonably civil criticism is legitimate, esp. if well-considered. ~ But I don't think I've necessarily a right to expect whatever I want to be done!

Reactions: Palmer

srusnak102

Apr 28, 2017
From what has been said by other people on this forum.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That does not seems undecided and thinking things over. That seems like something that is major confrontation. Still love the story. waiting for chapter 17. I wanted to finish my main play thru with amanda first, but it just feels so different and wrong.

JoeSte91

Apr 12, 2018
I suppose Palmer will answer that if he/she sees and it and feels like replying, but I think that "difference" is partly explained here?:

- implying (I think) some people might not have followed the whole story, got the full gist, and yet take exception to this or that plot twist. Because they have an allergic reaction to one or other character.
That post doesn't explain anything, it simply states that there is a difference.

But, I do think we'd need @Palmer to clarify because I took the
what people that support us say from following along the story.
to mean that when the patron followers played chapters 14 that they didn't have the same criticism at that time, not that they don't have the same criticisms now, two chapters later, which means when they played the chapter, without any future knowledge or explanation, their view was that the chapter made sense and wasn't off putting at all. Which is fine. I'm just not sure why Palmer would tell us that, which is why I asked.

I think it's surely fair enough if developers pay heed to the people who keep them going (livelihood and morale) first...But wouldn't you, in almost any type of work (or life), pay first attention to those who sustain you?
Not necessarily.

Let's say I run a business. There are investors who get dividends from the success of the company. So far we're making profits but if I take a risk there's a possibility I could make a lot more money. Market research says its a good idea. However, the investors don't want to take the chance

Who do you trust? The people who don't know your business but know the market, or the investors who'd rather keep making a return on their money?

The fact is you have to take both and weigh your options. You can't ever just listen to one side of the table, especially if that table is agreeing with you. I understand that Palmer thinks that's what's he's doing, I'm simply asking about the purpose of the comparison. The two sides think differently. And? Is it supposed to make us rethink our positions just because the people that pay for the product liked it? As I already said, it's not surprising that there's less deviation amongst people who enjoyed the story enough that they were already willing to pay for it.

I think "ungrateful freeloaders" is a pugnacious term of your own, that tends to inflame the discussion if you are imputing it to Palmer - the developer having made it clear in more than one post that all decent feedback matters, and is listened to
But I don't think I've necessarily a right to expect whatever I want to be done!
Of course, ungrateful freeloaders is my own term, but I'm not trying to inflame anything. If I were content to sit back and think of Palmer as some obstinate dev with an ego, I wouldn't have then said that I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and ask what he meant. I'd have just gone away, believing him to be exactly what it seems. I understand that there's a difference between the paid and non-paid, I just don't see what the point of bringing it up to us is, unless it's meant to incite guilt or provoke us. So, I asked, because it may just be that I don't see the purpose.

I don't expect him to change anything either. He can't. At this point, my view of chapter 14 is effectively meaningless because he's already a few chapters ahead, and probably more in terms of planning. I'm not stamping my foot and demanding he go back and fix it. But I also don't read a book and then think 'well, this was published months/years ago, there's no point voicing my dissatisfaction with plot point X'. If Palmer wants to write the story he wants to write, more power to him, but there's no imperative on me as someone who's experiencing it to be accepting or agreeable.

Zed | Love-Joint

Love-Joint Team
Game Developer
Dec 18, 2018
I personally can’t see pregnancy, would make things far too complex. Especially if there’s another part of DFD after, I could be wrong.

Lonecanuck

Sep 5, 2017
I personally can’t see pregnancy, would make things far too complex. Especially if there’s another part of DFD after, I could be wrong.
I only see pregnancy happening in endings. And yes, a DFD 2 or season 2 would probably be borked if pregnancy happened now.

Darting run

Jan 11, 2018
Devs at Palmer's calibre should seriously consider giving Patreon an ass kick. To me, they're just some replaceable middle man, aren't they? Have they forgot that fans have an option to reach devs directly?

Zed | Love-Joint

Love-Joint Team
Game Developer
Dec 18, 2018
Devs at Palmer's calibre should seriously consider giving Patreon an ass kick. To me, they're just some replaceable middle man, aren't they? Have they forgot that fans have an option to reach devs directly?
Been slightly spoken about but it would be a bad move. For starters, not everyone would change over so you’d lose supporters instantly. Many other factors to consider as well.

3.50 star(s) 125 Votes