4.60 star(s) 45 Votes

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
I am never gonna economically support game developers who resort to stealing to make their games.

Anyway, this seems to be abandoned, anyone know why?
The developer of this game, Radnor, posted about being forced to abandon this game. See post #1965 a few pages back. I'm relatively new on both F95zone and with this game, I think there are circumstances that others may know about that aren't fully explained in his post. I'd like to contribute to continuing this game and I made a mod that I posted on the Discord site but it's pretty trivial as I'm a newbie. I'm working on another one that's more complex but my ignorance is getting in the way! Cheers!

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
The dealbreaker for me is this engine always had zero support for Linux. I just did a quick google and it seems they finally got around to releasing something not-a-beta at the beginning of this year. However there's a lot of clapback out there about it being a stepchild and a flaming dumpster fire (at least in beta versions). I'm sure the licensing will be horrible for those of us who may want to put our work under gpl/lgpl and creative commons.

I have to admit it is a step in the right direction. I can't wait for the day when M$ and its mad rush to follow Google and Meta by turning the home versions of Winders 11 into user data harvesters and captive advertising platforms causes folk to wake up and flee.

See, this is where people misunderstand Unity. You can make the game in a visual environment with no coding and you can use free 3D assets, or the same 2D stuff that you do use.
The game would be faster and also smaller.

You did mention yourself drawbacks on Unity that limited the functionality of your game. This was where I reacted. Ren'Py in fact didn't do what you wanted.

The budget for making this game in Unity? 0$, perhaps 50$ if you want to use a visual codebase to avoid any kind of programming. ;-) And, you'd save half the size of the binaries required to run the game and those actually compiled would work only for your game. It'd be compiled and much faster (important when it becomes bigger).

DanLong

Mar 23, 2018
The dealbreaker for me is this engine always had zero support for Linux. I just did a quick google and it seems they finally got around to releasing something not-a-beta at the beginning of this year. However there's a lot of clapback out there about it being a stepchild and a flaming dumpster fire (at least in beta versions). I'm sure the licensing will be horrible for those of us who may want to put our work under gpl/lgpl and creative commons.

I have to admit it is a step in the right direction. I can't wait for the day when M$ and its mad rush to follow Google and Meta by turning the home versions of Winders 11 into user data harvesters and captive advertising platforms causes folk to wake up and flee.
Good thing that this one is on Ren'py! :) :) :)

I was thinking of doing something on UE4 in this vein of Game.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Finally getting around to working with this game now that I can unpack the rpa and examine sources.

weird, the mp4 file I added won't play for some reason,
while converting them to webm will work without problem. meh, minor set bakc.
Right now game tries to load webm and mp4 movies. Next update it will check mkv and avi too.
If your mp4 is not playing then probably it used unsupported codecs inside mp4 container. In this case converting is a way to go.
Here is list of supported format and codecs:
You wouldn't happen to be running a Linux distro instead of Winders would you? MP4 is a proprietary patent encumbered format (container/codec combo) controlled by a cabal of rent seekers that include M$ and crApple. Those two platforms thus bundle it with their O/S installs. Matroska (MKV container/various codecs) is considered a GPL licensed thingey that Linux handles out of the box as long as the codecs used within are under GPL, MIT or other license that provides for free distribution. AVI is very much a M$ container/codec combo that Redmond uses to extort fees from others. Outfits like Mozilla and Linux distros don't bundle it by default so they don't have to pay the a$$hole tax.

That all being said, there's ways of building the extortionist pieces into to your distro after you have done your install. Your package manager probably has additional repositories that can be added to its scans to add commercially licensed only packages including MP4 and proprietary Kernel drivers for things like AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. Gentoo users like me just have to edit our Portage's make.conf to indicate acceptance of patent encumbered and other more unsavory licensing while upholding the fine tradition of F95 flipping the bird to the man

Reactions: DanLong

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
You wouldn't happen to be running a Linux distro instead of Winders would you? MP4 is a proprietary patent encumbered format (container/codec combo) controlled by a cabal of rent seekers that include M$ and crApple. Those two platforms thus bundle it with their O/S installs. Matroska (MKV container/various codecs) is considered a GPL licensed thingey that Linux handles out of the box as long as the codecs used within are under GPL, MIT or other license that provides for free distribution. AVI is very much a M$ container/codec combo that Redmond uses to extort fees from others. Outfits like Mozilla and Linux distros don't bundle it by default so they don't have to pay the a$$hole tax.

That all being said, there's ways of building the extortionist pieces into to your distro after you have done your install. Your package manager probably has additional repositories that can be added to its scans to add commercially licensed only packages including MP4 and proprietary Kernel drivers for things like AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. Gentoo users like me just have to edit our Portage's make.conf to indicate acceptance of patent encumbered and other more unsavory licensing while upholding the fine tradition of F95 flipping the bird to the man
Oh, the horror. People want to make money off software and are willing to offer superior media replay services to justify it? Those fiends!

Why, I can't imagine what other unimaginable horror they might come up with!
Next thing they will be including quality of life features such as easy software instillation, built in security or the worst sin of all an easy to use UI and system that just works in the background as it should without you having to think about it.

Truly the stuff or Mordor.

• Haha
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Radnor and DanLong

DanLong

Mar 23, 2018
sadly, Radnor had family issues or personal issues and had to stop the project. There are those among us who are taking up the project and doing some spin-offs.

Reactions: lagartha

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Hi All! I posted my second mod on the Discord site (link at the very beginning of this thread) and thought I'd mention it here. I've posted 2 mods on Discord: a BBS and a mission. Hope to create a new quest next. Cheers!

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Hi All, I received a message from a person on Discord that my mod does not load. Has anyone else tried it? I cannot reproduce the problem myself so I need more information to help me fix it. Please give my mod a try and let me know if you have a problem. Cheers!

Update! Problem solved. This is sort of strange but the person got the mod working by turning off their add blocker and downloaded the mod file again. I don't understand why an add blocker would corrupt a download, perhaps someone else has an explanation? Regardless I'm relieved that the mod is OK. Cheers!

Last edited:

EroKala

Jul 18, 2019
Mr_Shaky Squirrel24 pointed out a mission that's in the forum that I don't think you saw. page 84, by cflash. "raid_WH2", some sort of night time gang warehouse raid mission. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Looking at the code, looks like it's only really feasible for a bot with at least A rank in everything, including autonomy. Could be a chance for loot, but not useful for anyone early in a playthrough, as it checks for combat, autonomy, electronics, and mechanics in order to determine results. But still, it's another mission mod. Always nice to have more of those.
Oof. The mission says you need to have at least E in Combat and Autonomy, but really, if you look at the weight, anything below A means you are rolling with against a 50 weight outcome of death, and a 50 weight outcome of injury. I feel like marking the requirements as E is really a mean-spirited joke.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DanLong

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Hi All,

I wrote a couple of mods that I hope you will try out.

One includes BBS offers to buy parts. This includes 3 files: 1 for vanilla (built in) parts, 1 for Shaky parts which requires that you have 'ShakyMod_Parts' installed, and 1 for Daedalron parts which requires that you have 'Daedalron_bots' installed.

The second is a mission to send bots to a pawn shop to purchase parts. This one doesn’t require any other mods but it’s a lot more interesting if you have ‘ShakyMod_Parts’ and ‘Daedalron_bots’ installed.

Cheers!

4.60 star(s) 45 Votes