Feb 21, 2019
what would be the optimal engine for this? godot isn't mod friendly. I dont think ren'py would be a significant upgrade. Unity is unity. Maybe Java? Anything else Im missing?

larondan

Nov 12, 2016
what would be the optimal engine for this? godot isn't mod friendly. I dont think ren'py would be a significant upgrade. Unity is unity. Maybe Java? Anything else Im missing?
Broken Dreams Correctional Center is made in Godot and has an integrated Mod launcher that works very well.
Not invalidating your argument, just showing that there are ways to integrate mod support for games made in Godot.
You can find the source code . Maybe the dev is willing to tell you a thing or two about modding in Godot if you ask him nicely.

Otherwise, if you have never made a game before, I would strongly advise to use a game engine and not start from scratch with Java or C++. The learning curve will be high enough already.
This game here is made in Twine btw. which is okay for this kind of game. If you want to see what Twine can do, I would suggest playing some of the top rated HTML games on this site. (Beware, not all are made in Twine)
Unholy Arts is an example of a Twine game that makes extensive use of the engine. In this post the author describes some limitations of it though.

Alternatively to Twine, it is also possible to use a Web development Framework instead. But you will need a greater technical know how for that. For example, Dryad Quest is made in the Angular Framework using Typescript.

Feb 21, 2019
Broken Dreams Correctional Center is made in Godot and has an integrated Mod launcher that works very well.
Not invalidating your argument, just showing that there are ways to integrate mod support for games made in Godot.
You can find the source code . Maybe the dev is willing to tell you a thing or two about modding in Godot if you ask him nicely.

Otherwise, if you have never made a game before, I would strongly advise to use a game engine and not start from scratch with Java or C++. The learning curve will be high enough already.
This game here is made in Twine btw. which is okay for this kind of game. If you want to see what Twine can do, I would suggest playing some of the top rated HTML games on this site. (Beware, not all are made in Twine)
Unholy Arts is an example of a Twine game that makes extensive use of the engine. In this post the author describes some limitations of it though.

Alternatively to Twine, it is also possible to use a Web development Framework instead. But you will need a greater technical know how for that. For example, Dryad Quest is made in the Angular Framework using Typescript.
Thanks for the indepth answer. My experience with godot has been a goose chase in just getting it to load gifs outside it's source files at run time. I got it to work, but the result is a bit unsatisfactory. Or maybe I'm an idealist.

ThroneAweigh

Aug 7, 2018
Thanks for the indepth answer. My experience with godot has been a goose chase in just getting it to load gifs outside it's source files at run time. I got it to work, but the result is a bit unsatisfactory. Or maybe I'm an idealist.
I've found the same. Godot might be good for a lot of stuff, but easy modding doesn't seem to be something that's native to it just yet.

Wombinator

Mar 17, 2023
Seeing how people keep coming here with hope I feel compelled to say this : Sorry guys but you shoudn't expect much improvement TBH.

I didn't write this before because I didn't want to look like bashing on the dev, and I still don't. So please bear that in mind while reading my message. But here's the thing :
I'm a senior developer and I looked at the code. Simply put, it's writen in a way that makes it increasingly hard to add new content. The more content there already is (monters, traps, adventurers class, traits etc...) the harder it is to add the next piece of content because suddenly you have even more variables to take into account.

To give an example : if I wanted to add a new "sadist" trait, similar to "masochist" but the girl gets sexual damage for the damadge she deals rather than recieve, if there is only one kind of monster I only have to add the code on that one page. When there are 5, it's five times more work, 5 times more chances to get things wrong or forget some rule specific to that monster resulting in a bug. And then you add on top of that monster "upgrades" or trap "mode" with their own specific "if" blocks.

That's why if the plan is to have much more than the 3 base monsters with 3 upgrades variants and 3 traps with 3 modes and a few more spells, It needs a code structure overhaul.

I am confident about this because I worked on it last summer. It started with trying to add a new attack in the original "dungeon lord" game. That's when I noticed how complicated it was and thought : well if "new beginning" uses the same structure, no surprise it's taking forever to get updates. So I dived into the code of "new beginning" and it took me a month of work to remake most of the core aspects of fights properly. IIRC I didn't touch the "slave" aspect after the girls are captured but my version of the game was working basicaly just as fine as the original at least on that part.

Now I insist, I don't blame the dev, as you can see just like him I stoped working on it. It's hard to keep focus, interest and/or sometimes being just busy with IRL stuff. And I managed this using extremely advanced stuff, it's really no wonder someone doing it as a hobby wouldn't know, let alone master, these aspects as, not to brag, but even majority of professional devs don't really know much about.

Now in anticipation of some replies : I could provide this version. The issue is for base users it doesn't bring any new content so it's pointless (i'm not even sure I took the time to properly implement all the already existing content), so you'ld need the developper (or someone else with the motivation) to understand the structure and follow its principles. It most probably would require at least a few voicecalls and/or me being available to help debuging when stuck.

The last option would be me continuing on the work, but it has some issues. If you followed the fiasco regarding otherworld new dawn you can easily understand I'm weary about getting myself in a similar spot. Especially since if i had to work on such a game, at some point I would certainly want to improve on the slave training aspect as well, wich would heavily borrow aspects of that game too.

Sep 21, 2019
Seeing how people keep coming here with hope I feel compelled to say this : Sorry guys but you shoudn't expect much improvement TBH.
I thought we came to meme lel
What do you mean you looked at the code? I thought the dev was using SugarCube. I know nothing about SugarCube so you're probably right but did you look at the raw HTML code or with the SugarCube IDE (if there is one)?

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
HTML isn't really code to begin with. It only really deals with visuals and some basic maths.

In any case, the game can be rewritten if the dev ever comes back, but he'd have to be around to do that and it seems like his attention has been elsewhere for... Well, a long-ass time.

• Sad
Reactions: SunlessSpear

Wombinator

Mar 17, 2023
I thought we came to meme lel
What do you mean you looked at the code? I thought the dev was using SugarCube. I know nothing about SugarCube so you're probably right but did you look at the raw HTML code or with the SugarCube IDE (if there is one)?
I meant the actual game code. You can load the HTML file in twine (sugarcube is one of the "engines" but the base framework is twine) and see all the pages and how you switch from one to the other and the code that gives life to the game.

BTW that's one of the issues with that framework. Everything get bundled into one HTML file (except images). Whereas modern coding paradigms demand that the code is split in multiple files for easier readability, navigation and versioning (keeping the history of every single modification of the code). That's why one of my first change was pulling most of the code out of the html and splitting it into javascript files (twine/sugarcube code is in javascript, runs inside a layer). Keeping minimum code "inside" each page.

You are going to be sooooo proud of me when you see the coding overhaul :sneaky: widgets are very cool
I certainly hope so. I'm probably not up to date about the details, I was under the impression you were working on a switch to another language or engine. Is the code still in JS? Did you switch to object oriented programing?

• Wow
Reactions: RandomFapinator

Dungeon Gaming

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2020
I certainly hope so. I'm probably not up to date about the details, I was under the impression you were working on a switch to another language or engine. Is the code still in JS? Did you switch to object oriented programing?
Still using Twine, just becoming more familiar with it and what it can do. Biggest discovery for me was Widgets, which are basically functions in C++ or C#. So now I can code things once and call them as needed instead of having multiple instances of the same code. Other than that, just trying to consolidate my code and clean things up.

Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
Well, you can hardly say the game has a fast dev cycle, but the Dev has been pretty upfront about that. But this is the first tangible sign of progress on site in a while. So that's nice.

Reactions: Med554!
4.30 star(s) 18 Votes