OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
Doubt he'll give a fuck but I'll let him know the pirates also support the translation software.
By this point in this entire shitshow Blue should not stick his nose in the air and ignore our input. When your support drops hundreds of patrons and thousands of dollars because of his and his teams incompetence than you need every bit of input you can get, pirates or patreons. After all, how long would it be (6-12 more months?) if people on here didn't mention mtl to you Skummy? Pirates may not pay, but we still support and try to help with our solutions or ideas (the good ideas at least).

npezone

Dec 31, 2020
The English MTL would very likely benefit from a more casual tone as well. #4 from the human/machine translation is a prime example. 'Full of vigor and drive' sounds like something you'd hear in the military, followed by 'It would behoove you to...'. But that's what proofreaders are for.
As a counterpoint; it’s sometimes nice to have a little variation and complexity in the vocabulary used. Words like ‘vigour’ are especially appliciable to organic people and conjure up a more colourful image than the over-used ‘energy’.

Overall; I can’t really say that one group of translations is preferable to the other: I know I’ve cringed a lot at how poorly structured a good deal of the existing content has been, to say nothing of speeling an de grammars of eet.
There are even occurrences in these examples of a lack of attention to punctuation and tense.

layer1avn

Aug 24, 2021
As a counterpoint; it’s sometimes nice to have a little variation and complexity in the vocabulary used. Words like ‘vigour’ are especially appliciable to organic people and conjure up a more colourful image than the over-used ‘energy’.
Sure, as long as it doesn't cross the line into pretentiousness. That line just felt really stiff to me without any other context.

I actually ran across 'callipygian' in another game. :ROFLMAO: It actually fit the overall quality of writing, sorta.

NaughtyOnes

Aug 7, 2019
Looking at the samples posted above, it seems Machine translation has got better sense I last experienced it. If those samples are what one would expect consistently it could easily be cleaned up post release or even ran by a few proof readers before hand.

Honestly machine translations are shit and would ruin the release anyway. I rather wait or just not get it in that case.
Not that I have much expectations of a new release anyway, but if it happens I rather have it not melt my brain with garbled text.

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020

Its late, I'm tired, I'm not putting more effort than this into this right now, here you go I'm gonna go back to being gone again. Full transparency, I've made it clear that from where I'm sitting, its fine as is and what isn't fine we can fix. I'm of the mind that even if its imperfect, enough proofreaders working together can solve it before it goes to public.

Enjoy.
I'm also a fellow german fan and have to say, LC's translation is crap. He translated word for word, one thing that also german english teachers don't approve. Most basic mistake. The MTL is WAY better and is as close to the german text as it can be to make sense. Besides that, the german original isn't great either, nobody speaks like that. Proofreaders for both languages are definitly needed. And I saw a ton of posts of willing people to help with that. Props to you helpful guys!! BC should get out of his own little world and make contact to those people. Preferabel without setting deadlines, because they would make it probably for free.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
He's an Austrian so I mean, he's certainly a native speaker that just talks in a funny way I guess, anyone who would like to help with german proofreading for the love of everything just reach out to Bluecat and express that shit to him, he'll probably be happy to have you come along and work over his stuff, especially since he doesn't want to pay for one if people are gonna just offer to do it lol

I mean I can proofread and I will absolutely do it for free, but if I'm proofreading english from incoherent german, I'm proofreading with bad sources. Granted, all the previous days had a bevy of germans proofreading so it reads a lot cleaner even with being a word to word translation. But yeah, reach out to Bluecat if you are a german fan willing to help out, I'm almost certain your help will be appreciated as this was a topic of discussion some time ago.

Also yes, I'm letting know Bluecat about your all's feedback, he seems generally positive and at the very least its helping my case so there's that. :) This has been a nightmare, and for fuck sakes I hope this is the god damn end of it.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
One of the big hangups Bluecat has is that because its from german, and barely any fluent english speakers speak german, he's worried that if not enough german proofreading is done then any mistakes to the german script screw up the english script.
I know BC has his idiosyncrasies, but does he not grok that at this point, a questionable translation is much less bad than further delays? I mean, he doesn't owe us pirates anything, but for fucks sake he should be putting more weight on catering to his patrons than his personal hangups.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
I know BC has his idiosyncrasies, but does he not grok that at this point, a questionable translation is much less bad than further delays? I mean, he doesn't owe us pirates anything, but for fucks sake he should be putting more weight on catering to his patrons than his personal hangups.
Hence why he posted it to everyone and wanted their feedback before moving on, he's now been met with near universal approvals of the idea and it should get him over his hangups and get things moving....I hope.

Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
Hence why he posted it to everyone and wanted their feedback before moving on, he's now been met with near universal approvals of the idea and it should get him over his hangups and get things moving....I hope.
I really hope so also Hubris can be a double edged sword, either raising talent to great heights or pummeling it into oblivion.
Also, ‘Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.’ so let's see if Bluecat learns from this.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
The Empire State building: Year it started being built 1930. Time to completion, 1 year 45 days.
The aircraft carrier USS Yorktown(the one that replaced the one sunk at Midway) Year it started being built 1941. Time to completion, 16 and a half months.
Super oil tankers: 9-15 months to completion.
747 jumbo jet: 43 days to completion.
A 57 storey skyscraper in China: 19 days to completion.
Merging already existing content together: 21 months and counting...

There you go kids. Wanna be a programmer? Quit now and become an engineer. Its quicker.

Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
The Empire State building: Year it started being built 1930. Time to completion, 1 year 45 days.
The aircraft carrier USS Yorktown(the one that replaced the one sunk at Midway) Year it started being built 1941. Time to completion, 16 and a half months.
Super oil tankers: 9-15 months to completion.
747 jumbo jet: 43 days to completion.
A 57 storey skyscraper in China: 19 days to completion.
Merging already existing content together: 21 months and counting...

There you go kids. Wanna be a programmer? Quit now and become an engineer. Its quicker.
That's kinda unfair. Those projects had vision, competence, planning and hard work. This one has...good PR?

Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
I wouldn't call it good PR...
You really shouldn't be hard on yourself. If you Goggle "We are professional manipulators" you should find an article from the University of South Carolina from a Dr. Shannon Bowen, who researches and teaches PR ethics at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications that claims PR reps (in anonymity) say that they lie and manipulate professionally.
Honesty and integrity may be the minority but perseverance and time will tell. Truth always invariably comes out.(y)

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes