Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
Ah, ok lol

A janky translation can always be fixed later, but if it's never released, then that's it. Personally, I rather get it out and hope for better later than just give up.
I'd agree but for the fact that it seems most devs rarely go back and correct language/grammar. At least in all of the games I've played so far. Even the completed ones. Unless the dev is good in English and grammar to begin with, I don't see it happening successfully, especially considering the sheer amount of text in some of more ambitious titles. The more content there is, the harder it'll be to comb through it all later. I'm sure there some out there that do correct them. I just haven't seen it yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeancul

Eponymous_01

Nov 6, 2020
The last thing ES needs at this point is more reasons, real or manufactured, for why there is still no content. If Blue Cat is able to release a new day and the only thing holding him back is scuffed machine translation, let's take it. We'd have progress (finally), proof that he has actually done something (finally), and a new surge of support for the project. The translation could be fixed later either by the team or by fans.

On the other hand, if I and others here are right and the varied and often nonsensical excuses given lately are signs that the team is making no progress and that the only content made were the handful of images shared to patrons, then insisting that machine translation is fine will make BC's latest lie/excuse less effective and keep the pressure up.

Last edited:

opiex942

Mar 9, 2018
Honestly machine translations are shit and would ruin the release anyway. I rather wait or just not get it in that case.
Not that I have much expectations of a new release anyway, but if it happens I rather have it not melt my brain with garbled text.
Well, without machine translations the projected release window is "about a month after they find a translator willing and able to process an average sized novel every couple of months for a fraction of the money a regular translator would make". Which is to say... probably never.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeancul

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019

Its late, I'm tired, I'm not putting more effort than this into this right now, here you go I'm gonna go back to being gone again. Full transparency, I've made it clear that from where I'm sitting, its fine as is and what isn't fine we can fix. I'm of the mind that even if its imperfect, enough proofreaders working together can solve it before it goes to public.

Enjoy.

Wolfen5

Mar 4, 2019
With the exception of example 3, I find the machine did a better job, better adjectives and verbs. imo

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
A janky translation can always be fixed later, but if it's never released, then that's it. Personally, I rather get it out and hope for better later than just give up.
Also since 'merges' are part of the plan, it gives them a reason to go back and touch it up later if needed.

Its late, I'm tired, I'm not putting more effort than this into this right now, here you go I'm gonna go back to being gone again. Full transparency, I've made it clear that from where I'm sitting, its fine as is and what isn't fine we can fix. I'm of the mind that even if its imperfect, enough proofreaders working together can solve it before it goes to public.

Enjoy.
Does BlueCat write his own patreon posts? Because some of the terminology used there I would think his fluent in it almost like I've said before but that's beside the point.

The machine learning translation itself is... fine, great even. I'd argue it just comes across as a different take almost, but in some of them it seemed like the better translation and others would just need proof reading and minor touch ups. E.g, one was clearly missing some commas to deliver the line properly, and where it mentioned "full of vigour and drive to get dressed and thus prepare for the new school day" you could manually change to be more in line with how one might think it should sound (energy, get ready, etc).

It's nothing that a proof reader who does minor adjustments when needed couldn't do. This is actually a lot better than expecting, especially based off how people here thought it might go. If doing it this way with a proof reader/editor would result in it being done faster than BlueCat should absolutely go with this going forward because it would save a lot of time by the looks of it and no quality would be lost.

Raxac

Jul 26, 2017
So yeah as was expected another update that shows nothing but yeah let me comment on it:
I don't believe in the excuse "that was just too much to translate" and what more likely happened there involve $$$.

The second thing, merge like srly? Wasn't this abandoned by now? LIKE WHY? Why do u have someone still working on the translation of the merge? Why does it even still being translated? Wasn't this supposed to be done like one year ago?? This here is actually proof that not only pretty much nothing was done from the dev/programming side, but the script as well. Like how long it is now 18months? and now event the script is done hilarious xd

Let's come back, so plan "b" was to deliver the next update as soon as possible, but now we have plan "c" which is to mtl the script WHEN YOU STILL HAVE SOMEONE TRANSLATING THE MERGE.

Like, why does even plan "c" is a thing? What u should do now is to provide the update with mtl not tell ppl that you're planning to do that? DUDE your past 1.5year are plans...

Yeah I'm done, not going to bother anymore with commenting this shitshow cuz it's past the point of stupidity.

Last edited:

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019

Enjoy.
There's one or two that sound a little iffy, but as you said, proof readers will correct anything that needs it, and I assume the Alpha and Beta tests would cover that already. At worst, you'll need one person to make it sound consistent, but that seems like a smaller job when you don't have to translate everything as well.

If I understand correctly, it was you who brought the idea forward, right? So, good job on getting this shit moving. Much appreciated.

So yeah as was expected another update that shows nothing but yeah let me comment on it:
I don't believe in the excuse "that was just too much to translate" and what more likely happened there involve $$$.

The second thing, merge like srly? Wasn't this abandoned by now? LIKE WHY? Why do u have someone still working on the translation of the merge? Why does it even still being translated? Wasn't this supposed to be done like one year ago?? This here is actually proof that not only pretty much nothing was done from the dev/programming side, but the script as well. Like how long it is now 18months? and now event the script is done hilarious xd

Let's come back, so plan "b" was to deliver the next update as soon as possible, but now we have plan "c" which is to mtl the script WHEN YOU STILL HAVE SOMEONE TRANSLATING THE MERGE.

Like, why does even plan "c" is a thing? What u should do now is to provide the update with mtl not tell ppl that you're planning to do that? DUDE your past 1.5year are plans...

Yeah I'm done, not going to bother anymore with commenting this shitshow cuz it's past the point of stupidity.
It's "too much to translate in time". Whether that's due to non-committed translators or BC having a unreasonable deadline, that still actually sounds believable to me.

The merge still going isn't really prove of anything. If the new days just need translating, then Latecomer wouldn't haven't anything to do with them. It makes sense they're going to still be trying to solve whatever the fucks going on with the merge.

The merge never needed translating. Not to English anyway. You can literally play the fully translated content of the merge now by downloading it from this thread. It's just in three parts, plus the specials. What are you even on about?

Raxac

Jul 26, 2017
There's one or two that sound a little iffy, but as you said, proof readers will correct anything that needs it, and I assume the Alpha and Beta tests would cover that already. At worst, you'll need one person to make it sound consistent, but that seems like a smaller job when you don't have to translate everything as well.

If I understand correctly, it was you who brought the idea forward, right? So, good job on getting this shit moving. Much appreciated.

It's "too much to translate in time". Whether that's due to non-committed translators or BC having a unreasonable deadline, that still actually sounds believable to me.

The merge still going isn't really prove of anything. If the new days just need translating, then Latecomer wouldn't haven't anything to do with them. It makes sense they're going to still be trying to solve whatever the fucks going on with the merge.

The merge never needed translating. Not to English anyway. You can literally play the fully translated content of the merge now by downloading it from this thread. It's just in three parts, plus the specials. What are you even on about?
Well I don't think that deadline has anything to do in this case since Bluecat himself didn't publicly state any.
As for the rest it's my bad since I took Latecomer working on month 1 as translating it which is clearly not the case, so I do apologize about this mistake.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Latecomer's translation had some common idiosyncrasies - such as got the feeling instead of have the feeling - so I wonder if the MTL will be better at that overall.

One big cringe was when Matsu said "good kid" to his girls, which he did quite a bit. I always felt "good girl" would have been more appropriate. Would really like to know how the MTL handles that.

Yasuo Reynald

Jul 21, 2019
The translation seems fine, for me even if it's junky as fuck i don't mind because if the bulk of the contexte and so on are understandable it's "ok". I wonder if the refusal could be about the topic of the game, that could be an issue. Let's remember what is about the DM patch, just for a sec. Well i guess you understand.

I may be naive hoping that Blue didn't got lazy and wanted free money. Because i really like the game and would be a shame if it got abbandonned, but if it's the case well fair enough, i got tricked and felt stupid. Anyway, it's kinda funny to see the shitstorm here, i don't know if here or somewhere else ( i'm not gonna namedrop the other dev, but if i say something along the line of academy you know who i'm talking about) we're pretty in the same situation, albeit different in some points.

Anyway, i hope Blue will apply plan c and hope for the best.

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019
Well I don't think that deadline has anything to do in this case since Bluecat himself didn't publicly state any.
As for the rest it's my bad since I took Latecomer working on month 1 as translating it which is clearly not the case, so I do apologize about this mistake.
Fair enough. Sorry if I came off cunty about it. I think LC did translate the older stuff, but I guess they want him focused on getting the merge working from now on. Which makes sense. Every the merge is suppose will need to be done eventually, so they may as well try and get it done ASAP.

Reactions: Yasuo Reynald

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
Hmmmm so yeah now that I'm less drunk lemme spell some stuffs out before I scurry cause I wanna clear the air. Ain't exactly been cordial lately and so I just zooped off so yeh.

One of the big hangups Bluecat has is that because its from german, and barely any fluent english speakers speak german, he's worried that if not enough german proofreading is done then any mistakes to the german script screw up the english script. More important how it is translated so that context is lost and the sentence fucks up. My counter to this is mixing proofreaders (easy enough I'd think) so that there's people like me english fluent with writing experience, normie english speakers, germans and strong english, and just the germans in general for his original script to make sure we don't lose context.

That is to say, what I imagine most of the testers comprising of already, and we do this shit for free cause we're fans who don't mind nitpicking all the little bitty stuff before the public gets their hands on it. Yes, I'm the one who gave him a gentle kick in the rear about the MTL usage after I took the advice of some people on here, to trust it as it had gotten way better since I had used it previously. Don't expect me to try to lean on Blue about stuff, but I'm hoping my opinion carries a bit more weight than the few naysayers, though generally we're in agreement that we want an update, janky translations or not.

Sorry for being a dick previously, and hope this helps you guys get some clarity on what's up with this news in particular. Doubt he'll give a fuck but I'll let him know the pirates also support the translation software.

Stay Not Forgetting to Give the Update, Stay Ecchi!

~Skummy Out

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017

I think the translation, both of them, are good.
The german sounds a bit clunky in some parts thought. Not wrong, but clunky, not like most people would speak.

Reactions: qaywsx

layer1avn

Aug 24, 2021
I think the translation, both of them, are good.
The german sounds a bit clunky in some parts thought. Not wrong, but clunky, not like most people would speak.
The English MTL would very likely benefit from a more casual tone as well. #4 from the human/machine translation is a prime example. 'Full of vigor and drive' sounds like something you'd hear in the military, followed by 'It would behoove you to...'. But that's what proofreaders are for.

• Haha
Reactions: DorianGreyEminence

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
The English MTL would very likely benefit from a more casual tone as well. #4 from the human/machine translation is a prime example. 'Full of vigor and drive' sounds like something you'd hear in the military, followed by 'It would behoove you to...'. But that's what proofreaders are for.
Yeah, example 4 isn't good formulated in german as well, it doesn't really fit.

That being said, i found example 2 the strangest. It's been a while since i last played (before the merge), but has the MC a kink for sweaty shirts ?
Because if he tries to express, that he want to see them work hard (seeing them sweat), that's a very strange way to say that :LOL:

Overall i'd, as good as this mashine translation is (closer to the original). Latecomer's translation is better, feels more casual, in half the examples i prefer it over the original.

Reactions: qaywsx

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Skummy Ecchi
As a German myself I say the MTL is better than what Latecomer came up with or in other words if I would have made the translation, it would be very close to the MTL version.
Raziel_8 the line is weird but especially in german but it's not a line from Matsu.
1.JPG

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019
Skummy Ecchi
As a German myself I say the MTL is better than what Latecomer came up with or in other words if I would have made the translation, it would be very close to the MTL version.
Raziel_8 the line is weird but especially in german but it's not a line from Matsu.
View attachment 1682958
Ah, so she's saying she wants to see work up a sweat or something, but yeah it's definitely a line that would need a rework during Alpha/Beta.

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes