720NoScope

Apr 8, 2021
Yeah, well, i was one of the first ones that tried his product, LabRats, when he was just starting, loved it, and then he went and created LarbRats2, milking the success of the first one.

Not cool for those of us that loved the first one, and yeah, i know the mod helps, but any "review" should be maded for the original product, which SUCKS

So yeah, not a good example of a good sandbox game when it literally needs a mod to be played/enjoyed
I get your point and also really loved Lab rats 1, but honestly think vrens work is downplayed by a lot. The mans got a vision, it may not be obvious and align with your expectations of an adult game at first sight but he puts a lot of effort in his game(s) for not even gaining that much more patrons(compared to others) in a 3-4 year span. For example 2017 he already was at 1.8k ish and works rellentlessly till this day with frequent updates and communication to his patrons.
I dont support anyone but if I would it`d honestly be vren for sure.

cumolok

Jan 8, 2022
so i was trying to download this, waited all through the download, started the install, but then when it was completed it said it wasnt able to install on my device? i was using an android with the .apk version, and i had plently of storage. whats up with it?

Spamdumpster

Dec 5, 2019
I am still hoping, at some point, for either clarification as to what is needed to download from a "I am BRAND NEW to this game" perspective, or the links to be re-activated. I tried downloading week 3(I think?) but the link would constantly fail.

So, if/when the FAQ is updated (see my previous post about myself and others being confused even after reading it) I think i'll try to download this again. From what it sounds like though, the developer, one uh...Bluecat? Either they've only just thrown this together in the hopes of avoiding getting flagged as an abandoned project, or something else is going on and I'm still not clear on that.

Regardless of how things work out, I am HOPING that at some point, this will be made clear as to what should/should not be done and what is/is not happening overall.

Parnso

Aug 7, 2016
LabRats2 is pretty good once you get the mechanics going
Degrees of Lewdity is the single best and almost only text based/minimal graphic Hgame I play
Harem Hotel & Public Sex Life were two of this first games I got into on this site.

A sandbox isn't inherently bad, an empty sandbox is bad, and thus when you look at a sandbox early in development it seems bad, but you can only really tell if it will be bad once there is enough content.

Like, especially if they have one of those "everyone moves around all day and different events will trigger at each time/location"
gimicks, as long as there are enough interactions that you can hit "something" at almost any given location, you won't care that you didn't hit a specific thing. Granted with a linear story you will always hit the eventuality of "I'm looking for this very specific interaction" so in-game guides are also usually a must.
In my opinion, all of these would be doable without sandbox and even better.
The sandbox only adds extra clicks to anything, but doesn't really do anything.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I am still hoping, at some point, for either clarification as to what is needed to download from a "I am BRAND NEW to this game" perspective, or the links to be re-activated. I tried downloading week 3(I think?) but the link would constantly fail.

So, if/when the FAQ is updated (see my previous post about myself and others being confused even after reading it) I think i'll try to download this again. From what it sounds like though, the developer, one uh...Bluecat? Either they've only just thrown this together in the hopes of avoiding getting flagged as an abandoned project, or something else is going on and I'm still not clear on that.

Regardless of how things work out, I am HOPING that at some point, this will be made clear as to what should/should not be done and what is/is not happening overall.
Yo. I responded to you here. You may not have seen a notification because the post was deleted for a time and I had to petition to have most of it restored.

Once I get some more feedback from "newbies" I'll update the FAQ.

Last edited:

jwhu

Nov 25, 2020
Hi can anyone help? Game works fine without the DM patch but when i put the DM patch into the game folder i get the following error when opening the game.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/menu/options.rpy", line 36, in <module>
NameError: name 'game_stage' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 492, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/script.py", line 797, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/script.py", line 485, in finish_load
node.early_execute()
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 2193, in early_execute
value = renpy.python.py_eval_bytecode(self.code.bytecode)
File "/Applications/renpy-7.4.11-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 2269, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/menu/options.rpy", line 36, in <module>
NameError: name 'game_stage' is not defined

Darwin-21.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Ecchi Sensei
Thu Jun 9 04:09:44 2022

Reactions: The_Sentinel

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
Joining the offtopic i have to say i loved labrats and couldnt wait for updates...and then it was over and labrats2 came...i dont dislike sandbox and managing at all, in fact i prefer 4x and roleplaying games with tons of management and character development, but it was not labrats anymore and honestly, without the mod its the most boring game i ever played and a disgrace for labrats1.

To go a little ontopic, any news about the future? Is the merge still planned or will bc wait until the next abandoned tag hovers over his wallet to make a quick release without all the features he claimed to had improved?

Essecks

Sep 1, 2018
Lab Rats 2 may not be your jam, but saying that it's "milking the success of LR1" is absurd when the work being put in on Lab Rats 2 is far greater than the previous game. Vren is doing things to push Ren'py to its limits and is now looking to integrate Live2D into it. Whether it's a good game for all that effort is a matter of debate, but you can't act like he's coasting by on his previous success when he's putting in that much work.

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
I finished the update. Language-wise the machine translation was OK, a few tweaks by any native English speaker would clean it up easily. The codebase is still a mess, which we knew it would be since fixing the code is part of the "merge." If I were paying BC, I would be pissed off at this attempt. The people still paying deserve a better update than this. But in the end it probably did its job, which was to stabilize the loss of Patrons. Story-wise, it was a bit weak, essentially confirming things that we already knew and not really moving the plot that much. It really is disappointing to see a game with so much potential end up the way it has.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
To go a little ontopic, any news about the future? Is the merge still planned or will bc wait until the next abandoned tag hovers over his wallet to make a quick release without all the features he claimed to had improved?
If you want official info, see the post where Ickerax kindly shared with us the Patreon update.

Generally, the release doesn't seem to have had much effect on opinions about the state of development.

As for me, I remain willing to give Blue the benefit of the doubt, at least WRT his intentions.
I've only played through D22, but the release is pretty much what I expected. The only real criticism from me is that workarounds for a pretty big issue with the phone were developed pretty quickly by players, both here and on the discord. But the issue only occurs when you load a save from W3. And since this content will have to be re-released and replayed when/if the merge is done, it's somewhat forgivable they didn't try to fix the issue.
Additionally, I never had a high evaluation of the teams' coding skills, so something like this wouldn't phase me in any case. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: pgm_01

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
I know this post...i also know all the 23 status reports about the merge from before...i just prefer some reliable infos. I mean, i understand it if shit happens and the delay grows up to a few months, real life tends to fuck you, but a trustworthy dev would have put a stop to the payments during such a time and as far as i am aware that never happend here. My trust is lost here, so i dont only doubt anything BC says, i dont believe anything from him at all until we get regular updates again and that fucked up merge gets posted.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
don't know if it works with the archive still compressed but here a little patch for the message error
This is the best workaround IMO, it's easy and clean (from a code perspective).

I did get an error when I first launched the game after installing it. I think that's because the archives contain rpyc files instead of rpy files. Anyway, I quit and re-launched the game with no problem. Loaded the W3 save provided by Ickerax.* No phone issues so far (end of D22).

* Luckily I had already enabled the console, so I could change the name he chose for Mastu: Incest. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

LooLoo Baloo

Mar 15, 2021
If you want official info, see the post where Ickerax kindly shared with us the Patreon update.

Generally, the release doesn't seem to have had much effect on opinions about the state of development.

As for me, I remain willing to give Blue the benefit of the doubt, at least WRT his intentions.
I've only played through D22, but the release is pretty much what I expected. The only real criticism from me is that workarounds for a pretty big issue with the phone were developed pretty quickly by players, both here and on the discord. But the issue only occurs when you load a save from W3. And since this content will have to be re-released and replayed when/if the merge is done, it's somewhat forgivable they didn't try to fix the issue.
Additionally, I never had a high evaluation of the teams' coding skills, so something like this wouldn't phase me in any case. :sneaky:
So after two years of excuses, pr spins and made up deadlines, one broken update is enough to convince you that bluecat is a good developer with integrity. This update was to remove the abandoned tag, but I see that some people continue to be misled so easily

And as for the merge it's never happening. Partly because bluecat isn't capable of finishing the merge, only latecomer can. Latecomer stopped working on this game 18 months ago, that is why there is no merge and that is why this update was not translated properly. And the second coder isn't skilled enough to do most the work that's required, it's why they had to remove every single feature on this update, and yet it still has basic bugs they aren't competent enough to bother fixing. So unless the merge develops a consciousness and completes itself, it isn't happening

I'll check-in in 6 months, just to see people wondering where the merge is. And how could bluecat ever lie to them. And seeing them question if people are being milked or not. Which they are

JEER0X

Sep 17, 2019
so i am running into an issue with downloaded week 3 supposed to be Week 3 - Days 15-21 but when i downloaded the Torrent as well as the mega link its day 20-21 in fact all links to week 3 are wrong and some are broken

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes