DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Has chapter 2 gone out to the 2nd stage of testing yet?
Last news from Notty yesterday, she decided to listen to her tester that warned the amount of free roam part was too big (too many possible choices to make for the time you had for them, not the amount per se compared to the VN part) for the chapter and did not make the chapter as fun to play as she wished (also see Akamari's remark below for further clarification):

Getting close. One of the things (one! ha!) that's slowed stuff down is by taking out some locations I need to make sure that the switches for convos are all stripped out correctly for the later scenes in the lounge if you go down that route. Since, as quite a few of you know, my coding looks like Jenga mixed with "pick up sticks" unpicking my stuff isn't as easy as throwing it all together in the first place.

But here's a picture of a world of wonder to keep you amused.

What a nice looking place.

Oh and again on the subject of scale... chatting to Sarah in her room before you play VR is longer than the original chapters VR scene.

EDIT: In case the more IT savvy were wondering....Obviously the switches won't work if the items/locations haven't been found but because people will look at the code I'm taking all the convos and actions out so as to not have anything for the next chapter spoiled.

Last edited:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
xsssssssss
Last news from Notty yesterday, she decided to listen to her tester that warned the amount of free roam part was too big (too many possible choices to make for the time you had for them, not the amount per se compared to the VN part) for the chapter and did not make the chapter fun to play:
To clarify this a bit, it's not that it wasn't fun, but her first tester felt the pace dropped (which arguably was due to her choice to go beyond what it was designed for and check every available location (via save/load) to determine what would be "the best rooms for her save"). So it's something that depends on the playstyle.

That of course doesn't mean any locations will be scrapped, just that they will be available to visit starting in future chapters. Understandably, going from five explorable locations to over twenty was a big jump, so unlocking them more gradually makes sense to me.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
xsssssssss

To clarify this a bit, it's not that it wasn't fun, but her first tester felt the pace dropped (which arguably was due to her choice to go beyond what it was designed for and check every available location (via save/load) to determine what would be "the best rooms for her save"). So it's something that depends on the playstyle.

That of course doesn't mean any locations will be scrapped, just that they will be available to visit starting in future chapters. Understandably, going from five explorable locations to over twenty was a big jump, so unlocking them more gradually makes sense to me.
I know I would have tried to check every nook and cranny of her huge ...tracks of land. Wait, what were we talking about again?

jan.spam

Mar 30, 2018
does anybody know if the new ch 2 covers the same amount of time space / story development as the original? I get that it is soo much bigger, but will it end storywise where current Ch3 (old school) picks off?

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
does anybody know if the new ch 2 covers the same amount of time space / story development as the original? I get that it is soo much bigger, but will it end storywise where current Ch3 (old school) picks off?
Yup, it will end at the same "timestamp", i.e. the end of the first night. The big difference is that you, as a player, will have much more things to do during that first day on Ophion :)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I think I remember her mentioning work on chap 4 before starting the rework. I am guessing also that start will need rework too?
To some degree, yes. The renders will have to be redone, some of the coding will have to be changed for the new navigation system, that kind of thing. Also, there will need to be some fixes to the writing to make room for the choice in race and gender.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
To some degree, yes. The renders will have to be redone, some of the coding will have to be changed for the new navigation system, that kind of thing. Also, there will need to be some fixes to the writing to make room for the choice in race and gender.
Okay, thanks for the heads up. Didn't know my waiting on original chapter 4 to come out before playing would be a year later, but I can wait.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Okay, thanks for the heads up. Didn't know my waiting on original chapter 4 to come out before playing would be a year later, but I can wait.
On behalf of Notty, I thank you for your patience :)
Some malevolent assholes (alright, this was me) had told her that the animations for chapter 2 weren't up to par and she spent a lot of time reworking them while still improving bits here and there, but we're seeing the end of this phase and the beta should come to the testers soon who promise to thoroughly test the chapter as fast as possible.

• Haha
Reactions: DA22 and TheDevian

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
On behalf of Notty, I thank you for your patience :)
Some malevolent assholes (alright, this was me) had told her that the animations for chapter 2 weren't up to par and she spent a lot of time reworking them while still improving bits here and there, but we're seeing the end of this phase and the beta should come to the testers soon who promise to thoroughly test the chapter as fast as possible.
Of course it was you Huiti. You do know after this admission of guilt, I am expecting some Broken Dreamers level of animation from you... Do not disappoint, otherwise an airlock/viking funeral will be in your future.

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
Of course it was you Huiti. You do know after this admission of guilt, I am expecting some Broken Dreamers level of animation from you... Do not disappoint, otherwise an airlock/viking funeral will be in your future.
no need to be drastic.... he'll simply never get a glass of water on ophion and no C&C game sessions for him

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I recommend not waiting for Chapter Four anymore. Two alone is much expanded with new paths, gameplay elements, all the content that was cut from the original, and more. It's miles ahead of the original in most aspects.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I recommend not waiting for Chapter Four anymore. Two alone is much expanded with new paths, gameplay elements, all the content that was cut from the original, and more. It's miles ahead of the original in most aspects.
Exactly. As I once said, chapters 1 to 3 should now be seen as an early demo of what the game would offer in term of writing quality, and the remaster is the real deal.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes