DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
It's still a bit "crashy" at the mo. Unity is a bit tougher to get a grip on than renpy, plus graphically far more of a challenge. So....not something I'd like to share. Even in rough cut form.
Yeah and I understood it also needs way more work to create a good UI and some functions that are automatically inbuilt in Renpy, but if the complexity of the game goes beyond the more regular sandbox/VN and what you want to do in it deserves it, it is the right choice.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah and I understood it also needs way more work to create a good UI and some functions that are automatically inbuilt in Renpy, but if the complexity of the game goes beyond the more regular sandbox/VN and what you want to do in it deserves it, it is the right choice.
I'll see. At the mo I've been using it as a refresher in between render runs to keep me fresh. A day here, a day there. That sort of thing. But it might be a bit more to bite than I can chew y'know? Anyhoo, we'll see.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I'll see. At the mo I've been using it as a refresher in between render runs to keep me fresh. A day here, a day there. That sort of thing. But it might be a bit more to bite than I can chew y'know? Anyhoo, we'll see.
True Unity is a lot bigger and wilder beast to tame as Renpy, but if you can do it there are loads of extra things you can do with it. If do not need those though, Renpy likely is the wiser choice and easier to support for people here.

Also what Krynh said, he is one of the more interesting newer devs on this site with an interesting game and great attitude.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Unity also runs on android. So that's not a valid argument for/against :D

Now, back to discussing Heavy 5.

Last edited:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Before we get a big Renpy/Unity discussion here, let us remember it is not for this game but a side project Notty sometimes works on when she needs a little break from this game and that is intended to be released as a full game when she is finished with it.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well, hopefully my game will take off, and I will be able to support this and some of my other favorites.
Well you are ambitious after all :p, besides do not trouble yourself over the future too much though planning is wise, since sometimes solutions turn up or help like some of Anne's tips in coding that are not there at this moment. Just we both know as well that if you are not happy with the end result, that is as much a problem or more as taking more time for it.
Seriously, why didn't you just get Annie to do the coding!!! I mean, I know she is busy fixing the ship, but I am sure she could find the time for you! If you bribe her with some booze and snaky cakes.
It's still a bit "crashy" at the mo. Unity is a bit tougher to get a grip on than renpy, plus graphically far more of a challenge. So....not something I'd like to share. Even in rough cut form.
I did have some issues, though mostly seemed to be with some addons I was trying to use, now that I have a helper who knows what they are doing, it seems not to be a problem mush any more. lol funny how that works.

Yeah, for full 3D you can't use as much geometry. I know someone who was trying to do a VR one, and he was really having to simplify things.
But this isn't about making a VN in Unity, is it? Ren'py is far more suitable for that task.
True, but it is harder for a lot of things, like minigames, allowing the player to change cursors, fonts, and so on. Just depends on what your goals are too. I could go on, but this isn't the place for it, like they said. Let people use what they want to use, if you don't like how they do it, make suggestions on how to improve it (not change engines, but suggest features you want that are missing). Either one can work really well if you know what you are doing.

Reactions: DA22 and Oddball2k

tontoman

May 4, 2017
Unity also runs on android. So that's not a valid argument for/against :D

Now, back to discussing Heavy 5.
If you run a different compile to make that version iirc. In the other case you just need one.

And I'd put my money on my Android running renpy better then that unity hog. Which many devs mess up and make it eat gpus for breakfast heh.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes