DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Well given how disaster prone I am I'd wait 'till the release but aye, this month is a good one. Primary tester thought I was "fucking nuts" so...*thinks that's a good thing*
True you might be slightly too ambitious for your own good with a first game (though we can see the old chapters as a test run), then again maybe if it would not be first game and you had known more, you would have been so scared of own ambition you would have never tried it. :ROFLMAO: So glad you did. :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
True you might be slightly too ambitious for your own good with a first game (though we can see the old chapters as a test run), then again maybe if it would not be first game and you had known more, you would have been so scared of own ambition you would have never tried it. :ROFLMAO: So glad you did. :)
To be honest I think I ended up doing quite a lot of things because I had no idea they were meant to be hard. The PDA, which we've had from the start, is a good example. It uses some quite complex screen handling which if you asked me now to put in, I'd probs tell you to fuck off as it's just too difficult to do. But since everything was hard when I started I just made it in complete ignorance!

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Doing my best to effect an air of patience while inside all I want to do is unwrap the shiny new update.
I'm the same but on the other side of the hill. Trying to stay calm but just itching to get it out so it can be played.
Last night I almost shipped it. It would have been a dumb thing to do ofc, but I was so tempted just to get the blessed thing out

reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019

I'm close but it needs a bit more polish, especially on some images.
Good to hear - I know you want to release probably more than any of us, but I'm glad you're waiting. I think it's always best to wait until you're happy with it (or at least, as happy as you can be :p ) rather than releasing something you're not happy with and regretting it, or worrying about having to release a quick fix, or whathaveyou.

I didn't want to quote your whole post, but
Nottravis said:
...I made this section almost devoid of any fun. Without the database things were impossible to find and with it... it was like a Bioware map at it's worst.
Ouch. I like it. Even if now I'll regret not being able to play Ophion Power Plant repair simulator 2020.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Good to hear - I know you want to release probably more than any of us, but I'm glad you're waiting. I think it's always best to wait until you're happy with it (or at least, as happy as you can be :p ) rather than releasing something you're not happy with and regretting it, or worrying about having to release a quick fix, or whathaveyou.
Aye. There is so much here that is just so...fucking...good that to spoil it at the last moment would be madness. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it had gone out yesterday and in retrospect there is a lot of things I'd have done differently timewise (vanishing down the black hole of the "glam game" easily lost me more than a week, and perhaps introducing four new mechanisms all in one go was...not wise) but when it hits...I'll be proud of it. And more importantly they'll be something in it for everyone to enjoy regardless of why they play H5.

As an aside, average time spent by the testers on the Chris module alone is two hours. One one module.

reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019
Aye. There is so much here that is just so...fucking...good that to spoil it at the last moment would be madness.
Exactly. You've gotta be happy with it, first and foremost, right? Anyway, I don't think you're going to be disappointed in peoples' reactions, if the vague previews we've had from the testers are any indication :p

And try not to be too hard on yourself regarding the development time and all. In retrospect it's easy to think, you know, you could have spend less time on this; or maybe implemented that feature in an easier way. But that's just part of development and it does lead to a better understanding of the game, or even just your development process. Even if you spent 'too much' time on something, or even it it doesn't get implemented at all, that's not the same as that time being wasted.

Nottravis said:
And more importantly they'll be something in it for everyone to enjoy regardless of why they play H5.
Oooh. Even wholesome brother-sister bonding time? >.>

reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019
Also also: welcome back, Notty! As fun as the thread's been it just wasn't the same without you :D

Yeah, I know, slow post is slow. Don't blame me, I've got three months and 60 pages' worth of posts to catch up on >.<

Last edited:
Reactions: Nottravis

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Well given how disaster prone I am I'd wait 'till the release but aye, this month is a good one. Primary tester thought I was "fucking nuts" so...*thinks that's a good thing*
That's not the primary reason for supporting you, I meant to subscribe last month and then forgot :D

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Exactly. You've gotta be happy with it, first and foremost, right? Anyway, I don't think you're going to be disappointed in peoples' reactions, if the vague previews we've had from the testers are any indication :p

And try not to be too hard on yourself regarding the development time and all. In retrospect it's easy to think, you know, you could have spend less time on this; or maybe implemented that feature in an easier way. But that's just part of development and it does lead to a better understanding of the game, or even just your development process. Even if you spent 'too much' time on something, or even it it doesn't get implemented at all, that's not the same as that time being wasted.

Oooh. Even wholesome brother-sister bonding time? >.>
There is something along those lines, aye.... but not in the usual fashion ofc.

Reactions: reiterhaniwa

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Also also: welcome back, Notty! As fun as the thread's been it just wasn't the same without you :D

Yeah, I know, slow post is slow. Don't blame me, I've got three months and 60 pages' worth of posts to catch up on >.<
Thanks *is trying to be good tho*

A gentle reminder that I have a which is a bit more freewheeling which anyone is welcome to drop in on. It's not a patreon exclusive jobbie.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I've had more than a couple people suggest SubscribeStar as a preferred method of subscription. Anyone use it? Is it any good?
Well, I guess if they are not that good then, maybe Tippee? IDK, still looking into alternatives as well...
Better to be too ambitious than not enough!
nodding face tenor.gif

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes