moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
how this don't have abandoned tag?? it's been 2 years now...
It's certainly unusual to be "remastering" the game before even completing it.
For almost 2k a month in support, I'd expect more progress. These delays are absurd.
Here we go again...

It's been 1 year and 5 months since the last release (September 12, 2021), not 2 years. For about 4 of those months, she hasn't been working in the game at full throttle as she suffered a nasty car accident, which of course you may or may not believe. However, facts are that dev's current support , not 2k; and she has paused pledges for the last 10 months in a row anyway (basically since the alleged accident) so she's not getting anything near that, only the initial pledge from those new patrons that have signed in since April 1, 2022. There's a net gain of 18 supporters in the meantime (from 218 to 230 as of yesterday), although there are daily variations so let's say she might have cashed in around 150 single pledges in 10 months? Feel free to do the exact math using graphtreon data but I'd suspect she has received not even a month-worth of regular pledges in the whole period. And, according to her , we'll get the 4 reworked chapters plus the brand new chapter 5 in a 6-8 weeks span starting any moment now.

People are entitled to their opinion about the whole thing, I'd just wish you didn't use inaccurate data to justify yours unless, of course, your intention was an ill one from the get-go. Not modulating your views after seeing these simple true facts would make you look like a proper troll who just likes to spread fake info about devs you don't like or agree with. So, are you guys adult and rational people, or basic internet trolls?

STNeish

Mar 20, 2020
Erm... I'm as eager for the next chapter as anyone, but I would never dream of complaining about delays for a game that's FREE, and at LOT of work. And that's without considering any other issues that might delay it. The developers of these games owe us NOTHING, least of all any explanations for delays. If they provide them, it's as a courtesy. We can at least try to be as courteous ourselves.

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
Erm... I'm as eager for the next chapter as anyone, but I would never dream of complaining about delays for a game that's FREE, and at LOT of work. And that's without considering any other issues that might delay it. The developers of these games owe us NOTHING, least of all any explanations for delays. If they provide them, it's as a courtesy. We can at least try to be as courteous ourselves.
It is simply wrong to say that this game is free. Just consider, for example that even if the payments are currently suspended, a lot of people have given money to support the development in the past.

Also, And no matter whether you have given money or not, criticism in itself is not bound to being a customer. It doesn't matter on which level, whether it's AAA criticized by a game magazine that often gets the game copy for free but still has to write something honest, or here in crowd founding, where a developer is asking for the support of the community and people should openly express their opinion, so that a group dynamic for the evaluation of the performance of the developer is enabled. Considering how many projects fail within crowd finding, i thnik, this is something that is more than necessary.

Ultimately, everyone's goal is to actually see a project finished. And if a developer becomes lost in perfectionism, and thus the completion becomes increasingly unlikely, it is better to critically question whether everything is really going right. No matter if you can give money or not. As long as you don't get insulting, and try to be fair, criticism is something that makes sense. Only if there is honest feedback, one can correct mistakes that one does not see oneself.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It is simply wrong to say that this game is free. Just consider, for example that even if the payments are currently suspended, a lot of people have given money to support the development in the past.
Are you among those persons ?
I bet that the answer is no, therefore for you the game is free and all your argumentation is pure bullshit. But anyway, even if you had spent half a buck on the game, your argumentation would still be flawed.

Like anyone who never pledged for a game before, you imagine Patreon as a subscription platform that it isn't and never was. It's a patronage/sponsorship platform. You like what someone is doing, and give her/him few bucks to help her/him be able to continue. The vast majority, if not all, Patreon accounts have a low tier where all you do is giving money. You give the money, and still you only have access to the public release, that is never the last update.
How does this fit in your narrative ? Those people willingly spare a buck or two monthly, knowing that they'll get the game at the exact same time than everyone who don't give a cent and just come to the Patreon page time to time. And they are doing it because they want to. It's shocking I know, but Notty don't pay hitmen to run across the world, putting a gun on your head to force you to pledge for her game.

Well, to be honest and fair, they get the game before those who just check the Patreon page, because they all come from here. This low tier is for people who don't really have spare money, but still appreciate the game they are pirating, and want to make a symbolic gesture. But since they already get the game, they could perfectly not pledge, it would change absolutely nothing for them.
Of course, they also have access to what Notty is saying but, well, globally what she's saying end here anyway. So yeah, they pay for nothing, and they are doing it willingly... And unlike you, who don't spent a single buck on the game, they aren't complaining about the delay, strange, isn't it ? I mean, if someone have the right to complain, it's them more than anyone else. They are giving money against nothing, and get even less than nothing... Yet apparently they are more fine with this, than you who don't spend money at all...

Also, And no matter whether you have given money or not, criticism in itself is not bound to being a customer.
Of course, you don't need to be a customer to critic something. But when you complain while not being a customer, don't be surprised when people see what you say as nothing more than an angry rant made by a barely pubescent spoiled brat.
I can complain that Sephora is over pricing, but what would be my legitimacy ? How could I be credible while I don't even need what they are selling ? I'm not some expert or authority in cosmetic and perfume price and quality. I know shit about all this and my complaint would just be as ridiculous as your constant rants.

It doesn't matter on which level, whether it's AAA criticized by a game magazine that often gets the game copy for free but still has to write something honest, [...]
Oh, so you are the authority in terms of game development and cost. My excuses, the mail warning me about this must have been put in the spam folder by error. Or perhaps are you telling us that you are payed to give your opinion on a piracy internet forum ? If it's the case, do they hire ? Asking for a friend.

Seriously, do you think before you write ? Do you read what you write ? How can you dare to compare you, a nobody on an internet forum, to a journalist giving his opinion on a game because it's his job ? Unlike you, who hide behind a pseudonym and held no responsibility for what you say, a journalist write on his name and his responsible for every word he write. Every time he write a critic, he engage his credibility and his future. You, you just waste your time trying to feel important, and yet you believe that the two can be compared, that the two are the same thing ? Pathetic...

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
17 months since last update, looks abandoned and dev is just stringing along patreons for money.

Dev has 16 days to update the game or the abandoned tag goes up.
Stuff has been released for Patrons; it just hasn't found its way here.
No payments taken in 10 months (technically 11 as March has been paused too!)
The aboned tag doesn't matter, it'll be removed just as quickly when the update is released.

reiterhaniwa

Apr 16, 2019
Also, And no matter whether you have given money or not, criticism in itself is not bound to being a customer. It doesn't matter on which level, whether it's AAA criticized by a game magazine that often gets the game copy for free but still has to write something honest
by a game magazine that [.....] still has to write something honest
What's it like having woken up after having been cryogenically frozen since 1994? Genuine question.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
The aboned tag doesn't matter, it'll be removed just as quickly when the update is released.
The last "GAME" update is on here and is over 17 months ago, wallpaper and posting does not count for "GAME" update.

Rules for abandon tag are:

1. No contact from dev in 90 days on here or the dev's main site = abandoned tag.
(Main site is normally patreon.)

Or.

2. No "GAME" update in 18 months = abandoned tag until or if a new game update comes out.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
The last "GAME" update is on here and is over 17 months ago, wallpaper and posting does not count for "GAME" update.

Rules for abandon tag are:

1. No contact from dev in 90 days on here or the dev's main site = abandoned tag.
(Main site is normally patreon.)

Or.

2. No "GAME" update in 18 months = abandoned tag until or if a new game update comes out.
Don't you realize that he just answered all of your 3 claims, the abandoned tag being the less important of them?

You said:
17 months since last update, looks abandoned
To which he replied:
Which means that the game is not abandoned, as Patrons know, no matter whether or not it gets the tag on this site. The game is being worked on, and we got some minigames in this period on top of the development news and test builds.

You said:
dev is just stringing along patreons for money.
To which he replied:
Which means that dev is not stringing anyone for money, since she's not taking any money.

And you said:
Dev has 16 days to update the game or the abandoned tag goes up.
To which he replied:
The abandoned tag doesn't matter, it'll be removed just as quickly when the update is released.
Which means that he knows how the abandoned tags work, at least as well as you, as your last post shows.

If this is really that important for you, congrats, the game is likely to get the tag anyway. It won't mean it's actually abandoned though. Not sure if you'd be able to understand that.

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
Are you among those persons ?
I bet that the answer is no, therefore for you the game is free and all your argumentation is pure bullshit. But anyway, even if you had spent half a buck on the game, your argumentation would still be flawed.
Think about it, do you really think that I would choose such a formulation if I had not already given something in the past. :oops: Admittedly, it was a Patreon only for 4 months in 2019, but I'm just someone who changes quickly, and today picks out more the games that are kind of small, but with nice basic idea (often overlooked).

Like anyone who never pledged for a game before, you imagine Patreon as a subscription platform that it isn't and never was. It's a patronage/sponsorship platform. You like what someone is doing, and give her/him few bucks to help her/him be able to continue. The vast majority, if not all, Patreon accounts have a low tier where all you do is giving money. You give the money, and still you only have access to the public release, that is never the last update.
WTF?!? I have supported several projects on Patreon over the years and I am well aware of what the idea is and what some of the weaknesses of the Patreon idea are.

In general, it is important to understand that no matter how the financing may be, it is important for every project to set realistic goals and to pursue them. It's no use pretending that you have all the time in the world, only to end up with a game that's not even half finished.

Of course, you don't need to be a customer to critic something. But when you complain while not being a customer, don't be surprised when people see what you say as nothing more than an angry rant made by a barely pubescent spoiled brat.
I can complain that Sephora is over pricing, but what would be my legitimacy ? How could I be credible while I don't even need what they are selling ? I'm not some expert or authority in cosmetic and perfume price and quality. I know shit about all this and my complaint would just be as ridiculous as your constant rants.
Your major mistake is that you think criticism is something negative. I see that completely differently. For me, criticism, especially when a project like Heavy Five has gone off track, is something that can lead to improvement. That you reject this criticism, and try to discredit it with personal insults does not change the fact that the project has problems. The very fact that the developer suspends the contributions is a sign that things are not running smoothly and that the developer realizes that more is expected.

Anyway, I think it is important to point out that as a developer, you are selling the idea of the project, and therefore you have entered into a certain moral obligation also towards the previous patreons. There is no use in trying to gloss over further delays with more and more long messages. It is also important to consider whether the goals have been set too high, and whether perfectionism is standing in the way of the completion of the game.

Ultimately, i think, we all have the goal of seeing this game completed. But you also have to face reality and, if necessary, say honestly and directly that things are really bad at the moment. That doesn't mean that things can't get better again, but maybe that requires an understanding that something has to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: dschunky and ItzSpc

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Don't you realize that he just answered all of your 3 claims, the abandoned tag being the less important of them?

You said:

To which he replied:

Which means that the game is not abandoned, as Patrons know, no matter whether or not it gets the tag on this site. The game is being worked on, and we got some minigames in this period on top of the development news and test builds.

You said:

To which he replied:

Which means that dev is not stringing anyone for money, since she's not taking any money.

And you said:

To which he replied:

Which means that he knows how the abandoned tags work, at least as well as you, as your last post shows.

If this is really that important for you, congrats, the game is likely to get the tag anyway. It won't mean it's actually abandoned though. Not sure if you'd be able to understand that.
There is other payment option on the OP besides patreon.
It is regardless what dev has posted or testing in the background the last UPDATE for the GAME was over 17 months ago and in 16 days this should get the abandoned tag until a "GAME" update gets released.
On patreon shows the game for patreons that can be seen is the same version on here that was released over 17 months ago.

Reactions: ItzSpc

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
There is other payment option on the OP besides patreon.
It is regardless what dev has posted or testing in the background the last UPDATE for the GAME was over 17 months ago and in 16 days this should get the abandoned tag until a "GAME" update gets released.
On patreon shows the game for patreons that can be seen is the same version on here that was released over 17 months ago.
Again, so what? It will get the tag, the tag will be removed whenever some new content gets out. It's simply not an abandoned game

ItzSpc

Oct 7, 2020
Again, so what? It will get the tag, the tag will be removed whenever some new content gets out. It's simply not an abandoned game
It's been 17 months and we're still waiting on Chapter 5. How long until it's done? Will it ever been done? Is 17+ months the standard for new chapters now? If that's to be the case, how many years will it be until this game is done? At this rate the game will never be done.

Looks like the dev is keeping their supporters on the hook by telling people the game isn't abandoned and posting low effort screenshot to convince people that the project hasn't been abandoned. Y'all are being swindled.

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
How many pencils do we need to sharpen to get our TV to work?!
How many tantrums/whining/negative reviews do we have to write to get the developer to change her attitude?! Especially when she doesn't even read them?!
Seriously guys, aren't you bored yet? The world will not adapt to you. Neither will the developers.

DanteRed

Oct 28, 2020
It's been 17 months and we're still waiting on Chapter 5. How long until it's done? Will it ever been done? Is 17+ months the standard for new chapters now? If that's to be the case, how many years will it be until this game is done? At this rate the game will never be done.

Looks like the dev is keeping their supporters on the hook by telling people the game isn't abandoned and posting low effort screenshot to convince people that the project hasn't been abandoned. Y'all are being swindled.
Dude, many people have explained the situation to you. It will be done when it will be done.

You keep saying that people are swindled but you always ignore when people tell you that she has paused payment for some time. Seriously, check her Patreon status right now and you will see it says exactly that.

"How long until it's done?" And the answer is - when she feels satisfied with her work which will take some time, because she wants to make the best experience out there. She is a perfectionist. Trust me, sometimes I too wish she weren't but so far, most of her tweaks have been for the better and it's a new and improved experience compared to before.

The reason so many people are defending her is because they do what you and others like you don't want to do and that is research. She explains things quite well on her Patreon page and if that is not enough, she's quite active with her fanbase on discord, twitter and her own webpage.

She also communicates with her fans and takes the more worthwhile advice in consideration. And like others said, she did release some content for her patrons but it was just some mini-games that didn't find their way here.

Honestly, I get the frustration of the next update taking a long time but there are other things that you can do with your time. Play other games, go outside and enjoy nature or go to the beach. You don't have to spend your time on this forum repeating the same thing over and over.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Think about it, do you really think that I would choose such a formulation if I had not already given something in the past. :oops:
Like all those who complain about a dev supposed to be milking, slacking, doing it bad, or whatever which one among the eternal complaints, yes, you would without a single hesitation.

Your major mistake is that you think criticism is something negative.
Really ? Just because I gave only one example and it was a negative one ?
What I said apply as well for positive criticism. I'm still not a cosmetic and perfume expert and, not being a customer, nor even a possible one, saying that whatever brand have good products, prices, or whatever, would be as ridiculous.

[...] and try to discredit it with personal insults [...]
So, "pathetic", that is the sole word addressed to you, is a personal insult ? Well, why not.
Everything else was explicitly targeting a behavior, and not a person. Therefore, if you took it for yourself, it's your problem, not mine, and you should reconsider your life choices.

The very fact that the developer suspends the contributions is a sign that things are not running smoothly and that the developer realizes that more is expected.
It just prove that she's honest. It's far to be something new. She expect X months of development, and when she goes over this time, or are not effectively working on the next chapter, the pledges are frozen.
Did she plan badly ? Perhaps, but not more than all professionals are doing. And in the end it's her who's impacted by it, not us. It's a game, not a drug, one can perfectly live without it and if, what have near to no risk to happen, the game is not finished, it will not kill us.
There's thing more important in life than complaining, almost days after days, about the same thing on a forum thread. And I'm not talking about war, famine or whatever. I'm talking about things that can add something to your daily life ; family, friends, and whatever is your passion. But well, if your passion is to bitch on a forum, I'll not starts to kink shame you.

Anyway, I think it is important to point out that as a developer, you are selling the idea of the project, and therefore you have entered into a certain moral obligation also towards the previous patreons.
And once again the subscription bias...

When I tip a waiter, he have no moral obligation towards me, in fact he have no obligation at all. You don't pledge on the future, you pledge as reward for what have been previously done. It's a part of the reason why, by example, there's still people willingly pledging for ICSTOR ; from their point of view his years of creation and ~10 finished games still worth it, this whatever he's now doing.
As indie and amateur developer, the only obligation you have is towards yourself. Unlike the waiter from my example, that have for obligation to serve you, because he's payed for it, an indie amateur developer have no obligations. (S)he can perfectly develop on his own and never release anything. If there's people who decide to pledge in those conditions, it's not the developer fault, nor her/his responsibility. They are knowingly doing this on their own, for their own reasons, and you have no say on this ; you aren't more an expert on money spending, than you are on game development.

There is no use in trying to gloss over further delays with more and more long messages.
And there's even less use in trying to change this by pilling up, days after days, posts carrying exactly the same message, on a place that is barely read by the person you want to address this message. Yet you are doing it since some times now, and clearly believe that it's the right thing to do.

It is also important to consider whether the goals have been set too high, and whether perfectionism is standing in the way of the completion of the game.
Who is saying that it's standing on the way of the completion of the game, except you ?
From Notty point of view, the game will be completed only when she'll be fully satisfied by it. Therefore whatever if she's releasing chapter 5 this night, it would change nothing, the chapters 1 to 5 wouldn't be completed yet. It's for you, and only for you, that it would change something, because you would finally be able to play this said chapter 5.
So, stop hiding behind what you expect to be noble principles. The truth isn't that you care about the delay, the truth is that you want to play the game, and to see its conclusion, as soon as possible, this whatever the quality it will come with.
And, in before, she's perfectly aware that life can be a bitch and that she can die tomorrow ; what obvious I don't wish her. But the fact is that she prefer to deceive Heavy Five fans by letting the game unfinished because life would have decided that way, than to deceive both the fans and herself by releasing something she find purely imperfect (to stay polite).
This is known since years, and if you effectively were a patron for four months in 2019, you already know it.

Ultimately, i think, we all have the goal of seeing this game completed.
No. I, and I know that I talk in the name of some here when saying this, have the goal to see Notty be happy by what she did. Whatever if the game is completed or not, as long as she's smiling, it's good for us. We are a bunch of crazy old folks (some older than others), and it's how we see life.

But you also have to face reality and, if necessary, say honestly and directly that things are really bad at the moment.
We can't say that things are really bad at the moment, and in the same time be honest. After months of near depressive state due to her car crash, Notty is smiling, and have a lot of fun working on her game. Therefore, things are really good at the moment, way better than they were six months ago.
It's from your point of view, that worth any other one, that things are bad. You are waiting for you dose, feeling withdrawal, and you have difficulties to face it.

That doesn't mean that things can't get better again, but maybe that requires an understanding that something has to change.
Well, learn patience, starts to appreciate things like and when they come, and stop to over care for what is nothing more than a game. You'll see, this simple change will make things get better again for you.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019

Let's apply your twisted logic. She is lying her 230 now-non-paying patrons (plus her 7k social media followers) making and posting minigames as well as different playable parts of a game she is **totally not** making while monthly refusing to get 1,2k USD so that she can cash in a few bucks from some poor individuals who started pledging since last April and never got charged again. That would be the weirdest swindle ever, honestly. Sounds so dumb that I'm wondering why you aren't trying your luck at it. It would fit you well.

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
How many pencils do we need to sharpen to get our TV to work?!
How many tantrums/whining/negative reviews do we have to write to get the developer to change her attitude?! Especially when she doesn't even read them?!
Seriously guys, aren't you bored yet? The world will not adapt to you. Neither will the developers.
Like almost all public criticism, it is about addressing all sides. Not just the developer, but the community as a whole. As long as you talk about the game, no matter if critical or not, it fits here. Why should you pretend that everything is fine in a game that is on the brink like Heavy Five? Just as I don't go around badmouthing optimistic posts, there's no reason to try to suppress a discussion that tries to point out problems.

I'm convinced that Heavy Five, similar to some other larger projects, is at high risk to fail due to too ambitious goals. In particular, the fact that a never-ending update follows directly after the remaster is a really clear signal for excessive perfectionism that seems to lose sight of the goal to actually finish this game.

Reactions: ItzSpc
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes