Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
So, instead of "You" as name, there will be "Thoughts", which seem relatively explicit (at least for me). If you can make the text wrap in the name box, you can even go with "Your thoughts" if you want it to be even more explicit.
Personally, I would find this solution distracting, confusing or annoying, but then again I have no problem with the italics. I don't recall a single case where I would have mistaken spoken text for the thought one.

Otherwise, a very good assessment of the game!:)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
And glad I did it.

Personally, I found them perfect like they are. Not invasive and transparent enough. I prefer that to no boxes at all, what I always found a little weird because the text seem to float on the air.

The main problem is that the italic font isn't marked enough. Put side by side, the difference is visible. But here you have one, then the other, and something you're wondering if it's italic or not.
But perhaps that the answer isn't in the font itself. Why not having a Character dedicated for this ? Something like :
Code:
define mcThoughts = Character( "Thoughts", window_background="ui/talkmc.png", what_style="mcThoughts" )

style mcThoughts is say_thought:
    color "#fff"
    outlines [ ( 2.5, "#00264d" ) ]
    italic True
So, instead of "You" as name, there will be "Thoughts", which seem relatively explicit (at least for me). If you can make the text wrap in the name box, you can even go with "Your thoughts" if you want it to be even more explicit.

You deserve them.
  • The characters have an effective and deep personality, far from the habitual cliche and different enough while still being complementary ;
  • The dialogs are well written, with the right dose of humor ;
  • The story interesting, with enough mystery to be captivating, but not to much so it's not confusing ;
  • The rendering great (and now that I try to use Daz3D I'm even more amazed) ;
  • The User Interface fall right in place ;
  • The game mechanism works fine and give enough freedom without loosing the player ;
  • The choices have an effective meaning, without blocking the player (well unless "pew pew pew in your face" :D ) ;
  • Hell, even the "pew pew pew in your face" is proof that you effectively thought about the outcome of the players choice ;
  • The hints are correctly dosed, neither too blurry, nor too directive, and they really help to not be stuck.
And on top of that, you even stopped with a wonderful cliffhanger.

On the other side, there isn't many things to say.
The game probably need to be restarted once, because the role play part is important and, like any other games, adult ones or not, it take some time to find how you'll do it. But that's not a big problem, it's Ren'py, just skip the already seen texts and it don't take much time to fall back where you left.
The only thing that was "wrong", is the trigger for the system outage. You're in the crew room after having talked with Sarah, and you need to left, then go back to it, for the scene to be triggered. But that's not this much a problem and it's easy to trigger it, just not this intuitive.

Perhaps also the apparent (it's the first release, I don't know what will happen next) incompatibility between Chris' routes. I feel like I could love to have a save where I squeezed it, while in the same time she was so near to Sarah's lips. The text saying that she'll not offer the possibility to change the decision make it feel like it's now or never. But perhaps is it just to say that you can't quit the cage once she put it on you, and she'll try to put it later if you choose her solution over Annie's one.
Bloody hell...what does a hack like me say to all that!

Thank you, I suppose. :) As some of the guys know, I've said before I'm a writer first, then an artist and finally a coder. It means a lot to me when someone not only likes my writing but can appreciate the character depth. Thank you.

And aye, pew pew indeed :) ...Well actions should have consequences no? I -think- if I recall correctly if that is to happen then there is a hint in Annie's dynamic character sheet that it's on the cards *could be wrong it's been a while since she poked around in Chapter One*. Still, stockings as consolation isn't too bad, no? :)

As to the apparent incompatibility, (which I can understand why you would think that of course) Chris gets bored easily. There's more than one route to the girl's paths - but I appreciate this isn't readily apparent from a single chapter of course :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Here I've gone around dropping arcane facts here and there while doing my best to gather enough sacrifices, incense, and blood candles in order to perform a ritual upon the great altar in order to summon computer upgrades from the depths of the abyss..
So...nothing like acting like a cultist then? ;)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Personally, I would find this solution distracting, confusing or annoying, but then again I have no problem with the italics. I don't recall a single case where I would have mistaken spoken text for the thought one.

Otherwise, a very good assessment of the game!:)
Maybe I am just old school, but I am of the opinion that "speech should get double quotes" and 'thoughts should get single quotes'. ...I know, I know, I am weird for using the tools as they are (sort of) intended, sorry, sorry. :p

Reactions: Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Maybe I am just old school, but I am of the opinion that "speech should get double quotes" and 'thoughts should get single quotes'. ...I know, I know, I am weird for using the tools as they are (sort of) intended, sorry, sorry. :p
Haha, actually it's interesting. I've checked some of my favourite Japanese VN's with professional translation and they ALL use "double quotes" for speech and just plain text for thoughts. While the "western" games here use plain text for speech and (parentheses) for thoughts as I remember. Hmm...:unsure:

Reactions: TheDevian

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Haha, actually it's interesting. I've checked some of my favourite Japanese VN's with professional translation and they ALL use "double quotes" for speech and just plain text for thoughts. While the "western" games here use plain text for speech and (parentheses) for thoughts as I remember. Hmm...:unsure:
You know those "double quotes" might really be a solution. It does makes it easier to differentiate now that I focus on it.:)

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Makes sense for more traditional text, but in this format, I tend to look at the text blocks almost like comic text bubbles. So I guess I prefer to declutter and do away with quotation marks in general. Unless the character is actually quoting from something/someone else, in which case use 'em doubles for sure.

That leaves interior monologues, and honestly, I'm ok with most of the options (different colour text, italics, brackets) as long as it's used consistently and isn't too heavy on the eye.

Reactions: johnconnor

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Guys, just peeking in to say it looks like it might be tomorrow. I added some new stuff to the PDA and it's being a total bitch to work right for some reason.

It's probs something stupid, and if I can't get it to work in the morning I'll strip it out.
Sorry to hear you're having an issue like that.

Of course, I have no problem waiting a little longer. I'd tell you to take as long as necessary to fix the bugger, but I understand how frustrating this must be for you. Again, I can only wish you good luck in finding the cause.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Guys, just peeking in to say it looks like it might be tomorrow. I added some new stuff to the PDA and it's being a total bitch to work right for some reason.

It's probs something stupid, and if I can't get it to work in the morning I'll strip it out.
Either way, best of luck, but as much as I like to see stripping, features are usually an exception. Sometimes when you take a break, you can see it with fresh eyes (though I know how hard it can be to stop when you are into it).

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes