Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I wonder if we'll see some overland map mechanics in this game. Say there's a hex search grid and you can only move x number of spaces before you have to resupply. Once the ship is repaired, you can convince Chris to drop your team in a certain location, but you still have to get back to shelter before the dust storm (or whatever).
Maybe...

Sulring Durgul

Sep 2, 2018
Hope we have enough vitamin D for all that!
Oh, come on! This vitamin D story sounds like a load of bovine fecal matter! Staying five days in a different environment isn't gonna lead to a life threatening metabolic problem. There's something else going on, and the "vitamin supplements and contraceptives" sound really suspicious. I'd refrain from taking any until more info is available...

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Oh, come on! This vitamin D story sounds like a load of bovine fecal matter! Staying five days in a different environment isn't gonna lead to a life threatening metabolic problem. There's something else going on, and the "vitamin supplements and contraceptives" sound really suspicious. I'd refrain from taking any until more info is available...
*gasps at such doubt!*

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I think the public wants BP to be eye destroying as if it was made during the 80s.

Sure not taking a vitamin for a few days won't normally have a detrimental effect to the point of illness, depending on a persons condition of course, but we can't know the last time they were given their vitamins, might be months in between, thus making them important to take. With contraceptives it is good to be consistent with them, otherwise accident happen.

Sulring Durgul

Sep 2, 2018
...but we can't know the last time they were given their vitamins, might be months in between, thus making them important to take.
Dude, you get vitamin D in your food, particularly in fish and butter. If you have a balanced diet, you do not need to take vitamin supplements - period.
Of course, spacefaring people might need to supplement their diet with various vitamins and trace elements to counteract a number of physiological problems caused by limited gravity, lack of UV exposure, et caetera. The simplest way to do it is to "spike" their food with higher than usual levels of vitamins.
Adding higher levels of carbs or stimulants to food is standard practice for many armies and navies around the world, so I don't see why a spacefaring navy wouldn't do it.

That is why I find the notion of "take these supplements to be okay on Ophion" extremely suspicious...
Then again, I'm a military man in an increasingly unfamiliar situation: my trust levels are getting pretty low... :cool:

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Dude, you get vitamin D in your food, particularly in fish and butter. If you have a balanced diet, you do not need to take vitamin supplements - period.
Of course, spacefaring people might need to supplement their diet with various vitamins and trace elements to counteract a number of physiological problems caused by limited gravity, lack of UV exposure, et caetera. The simplest way to do it is to "spike" their food with higher than usual levels of vitamins.
Adding higher levels of carbs or stimulants to food is standard practice for many armies and navies around the world, so I don't see why a spacefaring navy wouldn't do it.

That is why I find the notion of "take these supplements to be okay on Ophion" extremely suspicious...
Then again, I'm a military man in an increasingly unfamiliar situation: my trust levels are getting pretty low... :cool:
Vitamin D in
butter: ~9IU per serving (not worth mentioning)
tuna/salmon: 300 - 600 IU per serving (worth mentioning)
herring/sardines: ~1680 IU per serving (serious) (specifically North Atlantic, Pacific herring are lower for some reason)

Recommended amounts: (note, the U.S. RDA is not how much you need to be healthy, just the bare minimum to avoid serious issues)
If you get lots of sun: 600 IU daily
Moderate amounts of sun: 1000 IU daily
*If you are diagnosed with low vitamin D levels: 2000 IU daily or a weekly shot of 50,000 IU (depends on your doctor)
Maximum that your doctor will likely recommend: 50,000 IU/weekly (if your levels are low)
Maximum tested safe dose: 100,000 IU weekly for up to 12 months

I can't imagine a ready supply of North Atlantic herring or sardines for the entire, spread across space Navy, but I can imagine regular supplementation (especially given that the requirements for our own bodies to make it, UV, can also lead to things like skin cancer. Thanks, evolution.)

That said, five days on a dusty rock, your regular supplements should be fine. Also, you don't switch up contraceptives like that. Both vitamin D and contraceptives need to accumulate in your system, and that's just not going to happen.

I tell you, I don't trust him at all. I must get into that lab.

*Some of us (especially that live in places like the US Pacific Northwest) still have difficulty generating enough vitamin D to stay healthy. Optimal blood vitamin D is 40 - 59 ng/mL, adequate is 30 - 39, low is less than 30. My tested level was 12 ng/mL. So yeah, I take 2000 IU daily per doctor's orders and my tested levels have now been consistently between 49 and 53.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
You know what the really interesting thing here for me is?

Not one of you are saying I screwed up on the science, instead you're distrusting the characters or the orders.

I mean, I havent got my science wrong of course but the show of faith is appreciated. :)

*still thinks it could be an admin cock-up herself...*

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
What happened to the atrocious background color policy? This is actually pleasant to the eyes. Did the boys recieve counsel from Dianne?:p
I choose the colour randomly by just clicking on the colour wheel :)

Although having just finished the interview I think the boys have bit off a bit more than they can chew this month...

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
You know what the really interesting thing here for me is?

Not one of you are saying I screwed up on the science, instead you're distrusting the characters or the orders.

I mean, I havent got my science wrong of course but the show of faith is appreciated. :)

*still thinks it could be an admin cock-up herself...*
I trust no one except for Becca

frap

Oct 17, 2018
You're not seriously going to listen to a gossipy engineer retelling a tale her drunk friend told her are you?
Not that story, specifically. It's just looking more and more like a world where her conspiracy theories may be closer to the truth than what we see on the surface. I think Lt Playerlastname is in for a touch of paranoia and/or insanity before this is all done.

But at a certain point, there accumulates such an abundance of coincidence that it is no longer the simpler answer that it is coincidence.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes