DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I totally want to have a nod of some kind to Heavy Five in my project, but using an actual character is something I would never do. I just find that unethical.

Now, if Notty wanted to participate including writing the lines for it, that would be different. I'd still need to emphasise to players that it's not a blatant character theft though.
Well copying is one of the sincerest forms of flattery but yeah it all depends on whether you give due where it belongs and do so with respect. I do like the way timestamps does it sometimes on the TV or while playing a game. Notty did same with DeLuca family at start of chapter 2.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Oh, mine wouldn't be theft, I would get permission... and it would be a homage (see, I do know some French!) I already have permission for some other very well-known characters to have cameos in my game. :)
Well, I hope you will have it explained in the game that it's with permission. As a player, I don't take kindly when I see a dev using someone else's character as "cameo". It tends to look as a cheap attempt to parasite on someone else's popularity most of the time I see it.:)

Last edited:

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Well copying is one of the sincerest forms of flattery but yeah it all depends on whether you give due where it belongs and do so with respect. I do like the way timestamps does it sometimes on the TV or while playing a game. Notty did same with DeLuca family at start of chapter 2.
I've seen quite a few games show this site whenever someone is looking at a computer screen! :)

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Well, I hope you will have it explained in the game that it's with permission. As a player, I don't take kindly when I see a dev using someone else's character as "cameo". It tends to look as a cheap attempt to parasite on a someone else's popularity most of the time I see it.:)
The two characters already signed on to do cameos will be introduced as coming to "help out with something", then they'll get there spot! Already planned out and one of them already has a script. :)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
That's different of course. I'm talking about actually using someone else's character and giving it your own lines. :)

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
I'm thinking I might poach Becca for that bit! Do you think Notty will let her go for a few hours on secondment to me? :unsure::sneaky:
:ROFLMAO:
I was actually thinking about asking Notty for the character she uses for Thea, for the same reason. What I'm working on would take place in some similar timeline, possibly about a hundred years later. It definitely wouldn't be the same "universe", but some reference wouldn't look out of place. Though I could also just vaguely reference it within some dialogue, as the "Ophion Incident" or something. Whatever the reader takes from such reference would then depend on his or her own playthrough(s) or imagination.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
:ROFLMAO:
I was actually thinking about asking Notty for the character she uses for Thea, for the same reason. What I'm working on would take place in some similar timeline, possibly about a hundred years later. It definitely wouldn't be the same "universe", but some reference wouldn't look out of place. Though I could also just vaguely reference it within some dialogue, as the "Ophion Incident" or something. Whatever the reader takes from such reference would then depend on his or her own playthrough(s) or imagination.
I have an idea of one character being an ardent fan of Daphne DeWitt's films. As my project is set in a slightly alternate version of current time Earth it's what would make most sense. :)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian and DA22

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Oh, mine wouldn't be theft, I would get permission... and it would be a homage (see, I do know some French!) I already have permission for some other very well-known characters to have cameos in my game. :)
(Just so you know, it's "hommage", with two "m". Because va te faire foutre, that's why :D)

I wouldn't be too keen to see Becca used in the same role she already has in H5, actually. I think something discrete is always preferable, like maybe a PPF poster or a few lines talking about a scene from another game. But using straight-up another game's character, and especially for the narration bit which could be the very first scene your players will see, I think there are more subtle ways to pay tribute to our favorite Smuttress.

Cameos are only as great as the scene/game/movie/media whatsoever they appear in. If I was to make the shittiest turd of a movie with nonsensical plot, awful acting, etc. and then put in great characters from a great movie, let's say Darth Vader, to use an over-the-top example. Then my movie would not only not be better, but it would sully an important character for everyone. Now, if I were to make the funniest movie ever, with a great story and wonderful actors, and then add Tommy Wiseau's character from Tommy Wiseau's movie The Room (by Tommy Wiseau), it would not diminish my own movie but would instead shed a positive light on TW.

Long story short: be careful with cameos.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
(Just so you know, it's "hommage", with two "m". Because va te faire foutre, that's why :D)

I wouldn't be too keen to see Becca used in the same role she already has in H5, actually. I think something discrete is always preferable, like maybe a PPF poster or a few lines talking about a scene from another game. But using straight-up another game's character, and especially for the narration bit which could be the very first scene your players will see, I think there are more subtle ways to pay tribute to our favorite Smuttress.

Cameos are only as great as the scene/game/movie/media whatsoever they appear in. If I was to make the shittiest turd of a movie with nonsensical plot, awful acting, etc. and then put in great characters from a great movie, let's say Darth Vader, to use an over-the-top example. Then my movie would not only not be better, but it would sully an important character for everyone. Now, if I were to make the funniest movie ever, with a great story and wonderful actors, and then add Tommy Wiseau's character from Tommy Wiseau's movie The Room (by Tommy Wiseau), it would not diminish my own movie but would instead shed a positive light on TW.

Long story short: be careful with cameos.
True, that's why I'd rather pick Thea. She'd be fun to see across several games as a . Just the nameless character you see walking out a store as you enter, or unnamed engineer you see soldering some circuitry in a corner of your screen, or lined up as one of the Valkyries at the edge of a medieval battlefield.
She actually already is an "extra" in Heavy Five. She speaks no lines, and you only get to see her on the RahRah path. There's no indication whatsoever that she has, or ever will have, any decisive role within any plotline, nor that we'll ever hear about her again. It's fairly probable that Notty laughed her ass off, with how her marginal character blew up in all our theorizing. Well, she DID blow up, but here, she also blew up metaphorically.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
True, that's why I'd rather pick Thea. She'd be fun to see across several games as a . Just the nameless character you see walking out a store as you enter, or unnamed engineer you see soldering some circuitry in a corner of your screen, or lined up as one of the Valkyries at the edge of a medieval battlefield.
She actually already is an "extra" in Heavy Five. She speaks no lines, and you only get to see her on the RahRah path. There's no indication whatsoever that she has, or ever will have, any decisive role within any plotline, nor that we'll ever hear about her again. It's fairly probable that Notty laughed her ass off, with how her marginal character blew up in all our theorizing. Well, she DID blow up, but here, she also blew up metaphorically.
*smiles slowly...*

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Well, if that helps you sleep at night...:sneaky:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
*reads up*

I swear I did Bored Pilot before any of this...*pinkie swears!*
Sure and you are incapable of changing anything on the fly if you wish to. :p For some weird reason I do believe you this time though.

noname777 The latest version is already on this site and Notty is already working as hard as she can and her computer allows on Chapter 4. It will be here when it is ready and a Pirate decides to share it or the version becomes public when chapter 5 is released. No earlier and no later.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
noname777 The latest version is already on this site and Notty is already working as hard as she can and her computer allows on Chapter 4. It will be here when it is ready and a Pirate decides to share it or the version becomes public when chapter 5 is released. No earlier and no later.
Actually, he means public version of Chapter 2.
Public release of Chapter Two will be after Chapter Three is released to Patrons. (note I need to check Patreon's terms and conditions as Two gets a bit naughty so might have to be behind a $1 wall. Will advise)

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes