VN Ren'Py Abandoned Hex Nymphs: The Luna Moonslay Chronicles [v0.4] [Amborella]

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Well, this is interactive fiction with a fairly linear story and some options about how to walk through it.
The debate on whether or not Visual Novels qualify as games is old and we wouldn't solve it even if we spent a week sitting at a table discussing while sharing beer and pretzels.
I don't think "The Maiden Hunter" will ever have a gameplay. Nor do many of the most classic Visual Novels, especially lewd ones, so while your point is perfectly true, personally I don't see it as a problem, as long as fun sexual adventures of Luna and friends keep flowing.
I think the greatest thing a Visual Novel can offer is to offer meaningfull choices and a unique adventure to each player.

It's still the very beginning of Amborella's game, but one thing that could greatly improve the game would be to add consequences to each choices.

Currently there's no reason to give a "negative answer" to each existing choice unless you just want to avoid watching a scene.

At the same time, going too deep could also lead the game to being a maze of choices and the story (and Amborella's mind probably) would quickly collapse as it would become nightmarish to make the stroy progress.

It's not easy to find the right balance.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
This story is linear on purpose. This is the first time that I have written a story in this way, so I don't want to make it complex to add choices that seem unnatural. I might add choices when most of the chapters are done, but for now I will keep it simple. This is my first game and there's much I need to learn, but I am happy with the result so far.

Because of that, I haven't added gameplay to this game. And I never said that I will make it branching, so if you are looking for a story with meaningful choices, the game might not be for you (in its current state).

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
It's still the very beginning of Amborella's game, but one thing that could greatly improve the game would be to add consequences to each choices.
That'd be nice, and not too difficult to implement.
Like:
"Show off to the Brigands" -> "Exhibitionist" tag
"Make love with Jasmine" -> "Lesbian" tag [OK, Luna is canonically bi, just bear with my bad example]
Then, later, have an important moment of the game where having the Exhibionist or Lesbian tag changes the outcome.
Not a sex scene, so not to soft-lock content, something that Amborella clearly doesn't want to do. Something more like: "Exhibitionist" meets a guy that recognizes her and it comes to a badass fistfight, while "Lesbian" meets a nice girl that reveals a bit of the backstory.

At the same time, going too deep could also lead the game to being a maze of choices and the story (and Amborella's mind probably) would quickly collapse as it would become nightmarish to make the stroy progress.
Story of my life as dev... :cautious:

Ares02

Jan 20, 2018

It's not easy to find the right balance.
Speaking of which... purely out of my mind, so feel free to ignore it.

An easy way to add a barebone system is to "count" the events the player engages in and build on that.
A quick example
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
This story is linear on purpose. This is the first time that I have written a story in this way, so I don't want to make it complex to add choices that seem unnatural. I might add choices when most of the chapters are done, but for now I will keep it simple. This is my first game and there's much I need to learn, but I am happy with the result so far.

Because of that, I haven't added gameplay to this game. And I never said that I will make it branching, so if you are looking for a story with meaningful choices, the game might not be for you (in its current state).
Yeah, dev going too big is often a reason to get their game abandoned especially when it's the first one.

People don't often realize how time consuming it is to even create 10 minutes worth of game content.

Better have realistic expectations.

Slavoj

Sep 28, 2022

Linear story is absolutely fine, what i meant was more lack of backgrounds and accompanying pictures to the text. Would rather see more of the artwork than read with only the character sprite to look at (as great as she looks)

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Linear story is absolutely fine, what i meant was more lack of backgrounds and accompanying pictures to the text. Would rather see more of the artwork than read with only the character sprite to look at (as great as she looks)
I am aware of the fact that there are missing assets. I have added a few backgrounds, and more will come. However, it takes time to produce art assets, so it might take a while before every art asset is created.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Update:
Since the end of the year is rapidly approaching, I wasn't able to update the game with many new things. However, there is good news.

The artist is finishing the last scene needed for chapter 1, and then we will start with chapter 2. This means that chapter 1 will be done before the end of December(hopefully earlier).

The 0.2.3 will contain 2 new scenes and a more polished chapter 1.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Good news:

I just asked the moderators to update this thread with the newest version.

The 0.2.3 adds:
- Changed main menu
- Changed pause menu
- Add Christmas scene
- Add carrying deer carcass scene
- Add campfire scene

After the thread is updated, you can play the new version. Have fun, and please let me know if you have any feedback.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
For now the only non-optional scenes are:
  • Carrying the dead carcass of the deer she killed, because she needed to eat food.
  • Reminiscence in front of the campfire, thinking about what being a Huntress is like.
Scenes of which I believe player would like t skip because a personal preference (like tentacles) will be skippable. But scenes needed to build the stories will not.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
okay, the naming and versioning is a bit confusing here.

is it now called amborella the maiden hunter or amborella tales of the huntress?
is the versioning now Alpha 0.2.3. or 0.0.2.3?

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
For now the only non-optional scenes are:
  • Carrying the dead carcass of the deer she killed, because she needed to eat food.
  • Reminiscence in front of the campfire, thinking about what being a Huntress is like.
Thank you, my bad, I was solely thinking of non-optional lewd scenes, if those aren't a thing I am more than happy to give your game a try no matter what else there is.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
okay, the naming and versioning is a bit confusing here.

is it now called amborella the maiden hunter or amborella tales of the huntress?
is the versioning now Alpha 0.2.3. or 0.0.2.3?
I understand the confusion. As you can see, I still confuse myself. The full title of the game is Amborella: Tales of the Huntress. And the version is 0.2.3. I will change that in a future release, sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Daxter250

myself

Sep 21, 2017
From the top of my head:

- Blowjob
- Vaginal penetration
- Threesome
- Furry (werewolf...)
- Lesbian

I plan to write it in a way that all scenes can be skipped, if the player wants.
will there be bestiality and or futanari?

Sadowdark

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 4, 2020
Luna's work is similar to that of The Witcher. Only I have a monster hunter instead. Few pictures, lots of text. I have no fight scenes depicted, little locations shown, Black screen and two talking characters, no background of the room. Static characters only in one position. terribly boring. Luna looks more like a thug or bodyguard. Or a bandit in a dark alley. But the tramp suits her too. But he doesn't look like a monster hunter. But she is very sexy. But I will watch the game

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Luna's work is similar to that of The Witcher. Only I have a monster hunter instead. Few pictures, lots of text. I have no fight scenes depicted, little locations shown, Black screen and two talking characters, no background of the room. Static characters only in one position. terribly boring. Luna looks more like a thug or bodyguard. Or a bandit in a dark alley. But the tramp suits her too. But he doesn't look like a monster hunter. But she is very sexy. But I will watch the game
I draw inspiration from the Witcher series, and the comparison is easily made. I am aware that the game is lacking many visuals and music, but as the game progresses that content will be added to make the game feel more alive.

Reactions: Sadowdark

Sadowdark

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 4, 2020
I draw inspiration from the Witcher series, and the comparison is easily made. I am aware that the game is lacking many visuals and music, but as the game progresses that content will be added to make the game feel more alive.
(y)It's good that you draw inspiration from The Witcher.Will Luna's outfit change in the future as well as the weapons, or will she still have to earn money for the outfit and weapons? So that he doesn't look like a bandit, a bodyguard, a vagabond. I understand that Luna

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
(y)It's good that you draw inspiration from The Witcher.Will Luna's outfit change in the future as well as the weapons, or will she still have to earn money for the outfit and weapons? So that he doesn't look like a bandit, a bodyguard, a vagabond. I understand that Luna
I chose this design on purpose. I liked the idea of a tough, female warrior who doesn't hide her body and does not need heavy armor to protect herself. It's a design choice on purpose.

The other character you mention is unknown to me, I just liked the idea of a succubus who is good (sometimes more than) friends with Luna.

Does it make sense for Luna to not wear heavy armor? Ciri from the Witcher also does not wear heavy armor. But I do have an other outfit planned for her...Which will become important in chapter 1 and 2.

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes