Ren'Py Abandoned HSS -HighSchool Shenanigans- [v0.1.1 (bugfix)] [Studio Errilhl]

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes

calync

Nov 18, 2017
I've run into a couple of bugs.
1) I will click on the bathroom to go in but instead take a shower without entering. Not major but still annoying.
2) This ones game breaking. I went to work on the bike before school on a Tuesday and after failing it sent me straight to the kitchen without any way to leave. I can open the phone menu and save so I tried to save and reload but that didn't work. screenshot0001.png

Skads

King of Cunts
Donor
Aug 27, 2016
1) I will click on the bathroom to go in but instead take a shower without entering. Not major but still annoying.
2) This ones game breaking. I went to work on the bike before school on a Tuesday and after failing it sent me straight to the kitchen without any way to leave. I can open the phone menu and save so I tried to save and reload but that didn't work. View attachment 62609
Did you try to rollback before working on the bike?

calync

Nov 18, 2017
Did you try to rollback before working on the bike?
Yes and that helped, but I think what causes that bug to happen is going into the garage from outside before school and after eating. (After working on the bike it says something about eating and showering before school.)
When I went to the garage from inside it still flashes to the kitchen but doesn't get stuck there.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
2) This ones game breaking. I went to work on the bike before school on a Tuesday and after failing it sent me straight to the kitchen without any way to leave. I can open the phone menu and save so I tried to save and reload but that didn't work. View attachment 62609
Hm. Interesting. I will look into that kitchen-bug - should in theory not be possible, given how scene-changes are done, but then theory and practice isn't necessarily the same thing when it comes to coding... :D
As for the bathroom, this is due to a check for a True/False-flag that isn't updated when you exit an event before completing it - I've fixed most of these, you found another one, will be fixed next update.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Hm. Interesting. I will look into that kitchen-bug - should in theory not be possible, given how scene-changes are done, but then theory and practice isn't necessarily the same thing when it comes to coding... :D
As for the bathroom, this is due to a check for a True/False-flag that isn't updated when you exit an event before completing it - I've fixed most of these, you found another one, will be fixed next update.
Well, the bathroom bug is fixed. The kitchen one... I've yet to be able to recreate it, so I'm relly not sure why that happened :/

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Well, the bathroom bug is fixed. The kitchen one... I've yet to be able to recreate it, so I'm relly not sure why that happened :/
It maybe the one where you are automatic taken down to the bike at 6 am but the player like myself backed out of that one and went to the kitchen to eat and then get stuck in the kitchen working on the bike before it will allow you to leave.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
It maybe the one where you are automatic taken down to the bike at 6 am but the player like myself backed out of that one and went to the kitchen to eat and then get stuck in the kitchen working on the bike before it will allow you to leave.
Hm... Perhaps... lemme test that and see if that causes the issue

Still can't make it happen. If I go out of the garage without doing anything, I end up either in the entrance/hallway, or outside. If I use either exit-button while the menu is up, the same happens, same if I use it when the dialogue is shown. And, going into the kitchen, from either the living room or the entrance, will load the correct way... so I'm currently inclined to mark this as a very specific error happening at a very specific set of defined causes, and currently, I'm not able to recreate it.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Yes and that helped, but I think what causes that bug to happen is going into the garage from outside before school and after eating. (After working on the bike it says something about eating and showering before school.)
When I went to the garage from inside it still flashes to the kitchen but doesn't get stuck there.
Hm, I've tried making this happen for me as well, going to the kitchen for breakfast, and then going to the garage from outside, but... while I can see some issues happening (mostly the wrong options being presented), none of them causes the kitchen to not load properly, as far as I can tell.

calync

Nov 18, 2017
Hm, I've tried making this happen for me as well, going to the kitchen for breakfast, and then going to the garage from outside, but... while I can see some issues happening (mostly the wrong options being presented), none of them causes the kitchen to not load properly, as far as I can tell.
I just tested it on a new run and it happened again. I can't tell what exactly causes it but it happened at the same time of day on the second week. Hopefully this helps. screenshot0003.png

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
I just tested it on a new run and it happened again. I can't tell what exactly causes it but it happened at the same time of day on the second week. Hopefully this helps. View attachment 63367
What did you do, was it the automatic send down to the bike when you wake up at 6 am?

Please describe exactly what happen and I also will go try and recreate it in my game.

calync

Nov 18, 2017
What did you do, was it the automatic send down to the bike when you wake up at 6 am?

Please describe exactly what happen and I also will go try and recreate it in my game.
I wake up at about 6 and head straight to breakfast, then I'm sent straight outside at 6:30 by the game; I choose to stay home, head into the garage to work on the bike, and that's when it sends me to the kitchen with no arrows to click on.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I wake up at about 6 and head straight to breakfast, then I'm sent straight outside at 6:30 by the game; I choose to stay home, head into the garage to work on the bike, and that's when it sends me to the kitchen with no arrows to click on.
Aha! I've finally managed to recreate the bug! :D
Okay, I will have this fixed in the next version (it's a rare bug, with at least 3-4 conditions having to be met to happen, hence difficult to reproduce).

Reactions: a1fox3

arelor

Oct 6, 2017
I am passing days without doing anything. There isn't anyone in the house 7/24 there is no event. The only event I got is I got late to school mom get us up then go to school for detention and nothing else happens mate.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I am passing days without doing anything. There isn't anyone in the house 7/24 there is no event. The only event I got is I got late to school mom get us up then go to school for detention and nothing else happens mate.
As the events are all currently random, it might just be that you're very unlucky. There is currently mostly one main story for the sis, and one for the neighbor (Karen) - however, neither of them are finished. Hopefully at least one of these will be fully finished for the next regular release (9th Feb). I might not be able to modify the randomness properly before the next release, but if I manage, there will be a bit more structure to the event-chains as well.

Reactions: arelor

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
As the events are all currently random, it might just be that you're very unlucky. There is currently mostly one main story for the sis, and one for the neighbor (Karen) - however, neither of them are finished. Hopefully at least one of these will be fully finished for the next regular release (9th Feb). I might not be able to modify the randomness properly before the next release, but if I manage, there will be a bit more structure to the event-chains as well.
I never got anything with the neighbor and was never able to leave the house other than going to school.
I just stop playing because I thought that was all there was to it.
I get on the bike to try and go to the beach and it just stays in the garage.
Can't walk to the beach so I thought it was just a portal for next release.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I never got anything with the neighbor and was never able to leave the house other than going to school.
I just stop playing because I thought that was all there was to it.
I get on the bike to try and go to the beach and it just stays in the garage.
Can't walk to the beach so I thought it was just a portal for next release.
I'm guessing that that is actually a bug (although I'm not entirely sure why that happens) - the first interactions with the neighbor / Karen is in the morning when going to school, and it evolves from there. I will make sure that it works better / more often in the next release. Working on finishing up the sister-events now (which starts in the morning) and inputting them in the game, I will do the Karen events next

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
New release up on Patreon, HSS 0.022 - it will be released here in 14 days as well (Patreons have a one-version head start)

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
It's been around 3 months since I last played this game, and decided to give it a go again... Other then the new house visuals/navigation, some new items to pickup, and the achievement system, I'm not seeing a whole lot of improvements or new content... The old bugs have been replaced by new bugs, with several of them being game breaking... I'm really not impressed for the moment... I expected more content in the house, especially since this is following a typical day cycle relationship grinding game... Only time I ran into any characters in the house, is first thing in the mornings... And the bugs causing game play to halt most of the time... I went ahead and updated my review...

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes