Ren'Py Abandoned HSS -HighSchool Shenanigans- [v0.1.1 (bugfix)] [Studio Errilhl]

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I think it's way simpler than this. In latine countries, "collège", "colegio", and other declination according to the language, is before high school (11yo-14yo, so late loli). In the same time, whatever your own language, "high school" is explicit. Even if you don't really know about UK/US school system, even if your English skills are weak, you understand that it's the higher level of school.
To this, you have to add the planning, which is more stable and predictable in high school than university, which is a great helper for creators.
There are always cultural differences where ever one goes... When I say College/University, I'm talking about higher level education/degree programs (i.e. BA Degree, MA Degree, DR Degree, etc)... If someone is confused by what i'm talking about, I have no problems having a discussion about it... But I also don't want to hijack this thread with lengthy off topic discussions, so lemme know...

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I dunno how but I get to 34 o'clock ;)
Interesting - I thought I worked out those kinks. Did you manually advance the time, or...?

*EDIT* I found the bug - when advancing the time via minutes (not hours) it doesn't reset on hitting 23:59/00:00 - I will fix that.

Fragmentation

Oct 16, 2016
Found another bug. After you take the sister's buttplug and she confronts you in the hallway, that confrontation repeats anytime you go upstairs.

Also it seems that after you've collected a certain number of items collecting any more results in an error everytime.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Seems I need to go through some of the transitions (as these blinking issues has not been an issue for me while developing). As for closing the phone and tab, it uses the normal placement for the off-button (I will add a way to do this via keyboard as well in the next update).

As for age, they're all legal age. No underage at all. And yes, the choice of using HighSchool is just because it sets up easier schedules. It's an interesting comment, though, given the issues that has been mentioned earlier, about HHS - which is definitely a highschool setting...

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Found another bug. After you take the sister's buttplug and she confronts you in the hallway, that confrontation repeats anytime you go upstairs.

Also it seems that after you've collected a certain number of items collecting any more results in an error everytime.
Okay, I will look into that - the event should only happen once, so... that's definitely a bug. What items are you talking about?

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
How do you minimize the phone again? I went there to save up and now I have no idea how to close it and continue playing without going to main menu lol.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
How do you minimize the phone again? I went there to save up and now I have no idea how to close it and continue playing without going to main menu lol.
There's a power button on right the side, where the power button is on a real *cough* iphone *cough*

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
There's a power button on right the side, where the power button is on a real *cough* iphone *cough*
I don't use iphone only android, it may be the reason I didn't see it.

Jokes aside, I didn't even noticed there was a button until you mentioned it lmao. It should be a bit more noticeable, unless you do a little tutorial later.

Thanks for the fast answer btw.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
For some reason the ESC button will not allow you to go to the main menu and does not work for me.

How do you save in this game?

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
After getting some amount of panties I start getting exceptions, anybody with this issue?

For some reason the ESC button will not allow you to go to the main menu and does not work for me.

How do you save in this game?
You need to get the phone in your room.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
After getting some amount of panties I start getting exceptions, anybody with this issue?

You need to get the phone in your room.
Ok next question how do you exit out of the phone, I have to save the game and exit then reload the game to close the phone.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There are always cultural differences where ever one goes...
You've missed my point, right ? I know pretty well what you mean by college, it's just that it's easier to use "high school" in a game. Firstly because you're sure that anyone will understand, secondly because the day by day process will be easier to translate in terms of game mechanism.

You should probably make it a little bigger. It will be wrong in term of proportions, but better in term of user interface. That's why sometimes usual objects seem weird in games, because the size reduction implied some change in the proportions.
You perhaps also should think of a way to force the player to take the phone, since it's the only way to save/load the game. Don't know, something like:
When the game starts, in the garage, MC say to himself, "Eh, what time is it ? Oops, I forgot my phone in my room, I need to go take it before anything else".
Not only it will focus the attention of the player on the phone, but it will also introduce the fact that he can interact with some objects to take them, and that he need to search for them. After all, not everyone was raise with Lucasart/Sierra games ;)

All this said, I like where the game goes. Except the flash each time the screen is updated, the new design is easier to understand. Talking about it, you should probably do a quick update just to get ride of the said flash. It's a killing thing for epileptics.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Power button need to be black so it can be seen. HSS 2018-01-27 17-47-03-70.jpg

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
You should probably make it a little bigger. It will be wrong in term of proportions, but better in term of user interface. That's why sometimes usual objects seem weird in games, because the size reduction implied some change in the proportions.
You perhaps also should think of a way to force the player to take the phone, since it's the only way to save/load the game. Don't know, something like:
When the game starts, in the garage, MC say to himself, "Eh, what time is it ? Oops, I forgot my phone in my room, I need to go take it before anything else".
Not only it will focus the attention of the player on the phone, but it will also introduce the fact that he can interact with some objects to take them, and that he need to search for them. After all, not everyone was raise with Lucasart/Sierra games ;)

All this said, I like where the game goes. Except the flash each time the screen is updated, the new design is easier to understand. Talking about it, you should probably do a quick update just to get ride of the said flash. It's a killing thing for epileptics.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't see the flashing, so I will need to look into that a bit. Test on a different system, perhaps. And I will rethink the phone-bit :) To me, it's obvious, but as you say, it's not that common, perhaps, for more modern games.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
The double flashing of every screen when you do something is driving me crazy and I don't think I can play very much more with that happening.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
The double flashing of every screen when you do something is driving me crazy and I don't think I can play very much more with that happening.
Yeah, I get that this is annoying. I'm still trying to figure out how this is happening in the build, and not the dev-version, and get it fixed. I will update as soon as I have a solution for this.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Is there any kind of time table so we know where anyone is, the only NPC's I interact with at home is mom when she wakes MC up and breakfast and only seen the sister 1 time to say MC is sorry.

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes