Ren'Py Abandoned HSS -HighSchool Shenanigans- [v0.1.1 (bugfix)] [Studio Errilhl]

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Yako

May 6, 2017
during the night it's IMPOSSIBLE to see anything and thus very difficult to navigate, especially considering that some of the doors are really narrow... this game seems to have potential though, keep going man

ilozq

Jul 26, 2017
aww i thought this was hentai high school v2 , why u gotta play with me like that :FeelsBadMan:

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
during the night it's IMPOSSIBLE to see anything and thus very difficult to navigate, especially considering that some of the doors are really narrow... this game seems to have potential though, keep going man
Hm... the night-images is not dark on my screen - or, they're dark, of course they are dark, but not too dark to see? Monitor settings? I added a few night-time images to the first post, I can see all of them perfectly fine, on all my screens (different ones, different panel types, different settings), my laptop (Macbook Pro, non-retina) and also on my phone (I've tested an Android build). So... I don't think it's the images. I think it's your monitor, or your brightness setting. (Note: I run most of my monitors at around 65-75% brightness, with night-mode (a slightly softened light) usually on after 21-22 o'clock - even at night-mode, they work for me).

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
aww i thought this was hentai high school v2 , why u gotta play with me like that :FeelsBadMan:
Where does it say anything about HHS? The name is different, the logo is different (granted, I see that my signature logo isn't updated, I will fix that), and the graphics are completely different... Also, completely different studio / creator. I don't get it. Though, I hadn't even heard about it before starting making this :D

U

User_10739

Still hoping this game will actually include Shenanigans rather than empty rooms and placeholders...

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Still hoping this game will actually include Shenanigans rather than empty rooms and placeholders...
We're getting there. Next update will update at least two of the story-arcs (for Juliette and Karen), and there will be a bit more of the "shenanigans" bits ;) There will also be a couple bonus items for patrons on my page, but that isn't part of the game per se, just the same people as in-game.

jason95821

Feb 10, 2017
Where does it say anything about HHS? The name is different, the logo is different (granted, I see that my signature logo isn't updated, I will fix that), and the graphics are completely different... Also, completely different studio / creator. I don't get it. Though, I hadn't even heard about it before starting making this :D
he just seen HS and his mind went straight to that game ^_- nothing else mattered lol

Reactions: Studio Errilhl

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Some comments:

The door of the player bedroom is difficult to find. If you don't know that's the door, you can easily miss it. It's worse at night, so you should probably lock the possibility to night walk the first night. This way, the first time the player will have to navigate through the house will be at day, when the pictures are way easier to understand. It will let him the time to take his mark and know where to look at.

Probably found a bug. I toke the panties during the first night (hey, I'm a pervert, give me the possibility to wander at night on a house full of girls, it will be the first thing I'll do), and I was offered the possibility to do it again in the morning ; obviously I didn't missed this opportunity and now have two panties :D

And finally for your rollback problem with the inventory. Try using "renpy.store.object" as ancestor for your Container class. The class include some rollback features and is supposed to ease the integration between objects and rollback.

Oh, and the days are really short, or am I missing something ?

Reactions: Studio Errilhl

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Some comments:

The door of the player bedroom is difficult to find. If you don't know that's the door, you can easily miss it. It's worse at night, so you should probably lock the possibility to night walk the first night. This way, the first time the player will have to navigate through the house will be at day, when the pictures are way easier to understand. It will let him the time to take his mark and know where to look at.

Probably found a bug. I toke the panties during the first night (hey, I'm a pervert, give me the possibility to wander at night on a house full of girls, it will be the first thing I'll do), and I was offered the possibility to do it again in the morning ; obviously I didn't missed this opportunity and now have two panties :D

And finally for your rollback problem with the inventory. Try using "renpy.store.object" as ancestor for your Container class. The class include some rollback features and is supposed to ease the integration between objects and rollback.

Oh, and the days are really short, or am I missing something ?
I will look into the renpy.store.object :) And thanks for that feedback, that made a bit more sense. Sure, I can limit the ability to walk around first night. I'm an old-skool gamer, from the time where adventure games had you scan the whole screen with the mouse, just to see if anything at all moves, changes, or does anything indicating you're supposed to do something. But I will fix that.

As for the issue with the panties - did you at all do a rollback before you happened upon them the second time around? Because that's what's causing that - it's not supposed to be possible to see them again, but it happens (which means I need to fix my inventory system) :)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
As for the issue with the panties - did you at all do a rollback before you happened upon them the second time around? Because that's what's causing that - it's not supposed to be possible to see them again, but it happens (which means I need to fix my inventory system) :)
My first intention was to answer "no", then I remembered that at one point I wanted to see the sources. So, like I restarted to use un.rpyc, yes I did a rollback. But in fact the problem is not here ; the rollback works fine, it's the design of your inventory which is in cause here.

You define the object at init time ("config.rpy" lines 174 and further). This mean that Ren'py will not save them and recreate them each time you restart the game. And from here the error spread to your inventory. You now have :
Code:
fs_panties_item != backpack.inventory[0].item
but like backpack.inventory[0] is the fs_panties_item object from the previous play, you also have :
Code:
fs_panties_item.name == backpack.inventory[0].item.name
So, either you change "has_item" to compare the name, or you move the item creation after the start label.
I recommend the second option since the design of "has_item" don't make it easy to compare the name. But I know what you'll say: When a player will use the save from a previous version, he'll not have the items added by the new version.
So double it with an "after_load" label :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And now each time a saved game will be loaded, it will create the missing [something]_item objects. You can even limit the change in the "start" label to a simple call to "updateInventory". Since there's no objects yet, they'll all be created. But obviously, don't forget to remove the init block on "config.rpy" first.
Normally it should fix the issue once for all.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Yeah, I've modified the code already, testing now. Now there are new weird issues, like some if-statements never getting triggered (nothing to do with the inventory system, just... something that doesn't work, all of a sudden, and I have no idea why - working on it, though - might hit you up if I can't figure it out :) I will add your suggestions and test some more!

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
@anne O'nymous hm... seems there's an issue with doing it that way - I get an error in Ren'py stating that StoreModule object has no attribute 'absolut_item' (which is the first inventory item) when I add the $ updateInventory() inside the start-label. And yes, I did remove the init in config.rpy.

For some reason, it doesn't seem like it's possible to check store for something that isn't there...? Or I'm doing something very wrong, I dunno.

Current code in script.rpy:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
For some reason, it doesn't seem like it's possible to check store for something that isn't there...? Or I'm doing something very wrong, I dunno.
OMG :( Sorry, really sorry. You aren't doing something wrong, I was.
use "hasattr( store, name+"_item" )" instead of the "getattr". Because yes, you obviously can't get an attribute which don't exist.
Telling you to not forget to remove the init part was right, but it would have been better if I had done it myself.

I really need to finish what I'm working on and take a long good night of sleep, seem it's more and more an obligation.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
(This review has been moved to the review section above, for this thread)

Last edited:

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I can really tell that this VN is in super early development... It also appears that at one time this was another of those Family Sex themed VN/Games that is being converted, but the conversion is not done yet...
It still is. Read the spoilers at the OP ;) Though, since it's a patreon game, that needs to go out the window, hence the downloads are without the patch.

That being said, I know there are a lot of bugs, both time-wise (as you said about the shower), and some other quirks.

It's random, but it's a weighted random, so over time, you will experience less of the things that decreases stats, and more of the ones that increases them (again, depending on other stats, that influence your other relationship associations). If you're a general asshole, the random events will have a more likely outcome of being negative as well.

You can cheat, though, and modify said stats directly, if you want.

As for the entrance, that needs to be modified - although those aren't closet doors :D I'm working on getting that one fixed up for one of the coming releases.

The items in inventory is mostly for modifying stat-gains and such, in different parts of the game. Most of it is not utilized at the moment. There are also some bugs with the inventory in the current release, which have been fixed in upcoming version.

However, the description of the breakfast events... it's the "landlady" making breakfast... not the roommate. Or, at least, it should be. If you get random roommate decreases, you need to talk to her, to solve the situation from the introduction. If you're talking about something else, I would need some more information :D

And yes, it's an early Alpha - I mean, the version number isn't even at 0.1 yet. So there's gonna be a lot of back and forth, and modifications probably up until around 0.1 (is the hope) to get the mechanics working properly.

I hope you'll hang around, and take a look at coming versions, although you might wanna skip a release or two, because there might not be that many visible changes between releases (check the changelog).

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes