4.10 star(s) 50 Votes

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well 1.5 years since last update and 3ish weeks since last patreon post.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
If we're all perfectly honest, there is only one person truly believed this would get an update.

Then again, i'm still not sure if he actually believed an update would happen or was just trying to be loyal to his friends and saying nice things about them.

This is about like the dev of Primal Instinct I was just talking about in another thread. Everything was laid out on a silver platter for this game to be a success. It had the design, the writing and a growing player base.

The fact that losing 1 member completely stumped them to the point that they haven't recovered years later speaks volumes.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
The fact that losing 1 member completely stumped them to the point that they haven't recovered years later speaks volumes.
This seems to happen with many top-tier games or highly promising up-and-coming games like this one. It makes me think that in many of these games the person with their "name" on the Patreon page is more of a manager, with one or more other people doing nearly all the work, especially the rendering and coding. This key person likely doesn't get most of the donation money, yet is doing most of the development work, and eventually gets burned out, resentful, or both. Plus, since their name isn't on the project, they don't have any particularly loyalty to the game, so if they find something more interesting to do with their time, c'est la vie. The main developer / manager is left without the ability to finish the game at the same high level.

Reactions: Motoko Kusanagi

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
This seems to happen with many top-tier games or highly promising up-and-coming games like this one. It makes me think that in many of these games the person with their "name" on the Patreon page is more of a manager, with one or more other people doing nearly all the work, especially the rendering and coding. This key person likely doesn't get most of the donation money, yet is doing most of the development work, and eventually gets burned out, resentful, or both. Plus, since their name isn't on the project, they don't have any particularly loyalty to the game, so if they find something more interesting to do with their time, c'est la vie. The main developer / manager is left without the ability to finish the game at the same high level.
Afair they released at least one update after the guy left and I couldn't really tell the difference. It probably helped that it was the gfx guy, who left and the visuals never really were the strongest part of this game. I mean, it's kinda generic Daz stuff.
The frustrating thing was that the new game of the guy, who left was supposed to be a side project, but soon after he left he released a relatively huge first version, which seemed a little shady (and it's kind of a cash grab, or, in other words, basic and boring, at least compared to Last Call).
Nevertheless Last Call still got updated, even though the new gfx guy was learning Daz from scratch (he even posted videos about his progress afair). They way it fizzled out makes it seem like the devs were never really into it, which is frustrating, because their supporters were showing a lot of good will from the start. It seemed like a passion project, but all we're left with in the end is the generic cashgrab from the splinter dev, which has been going strong ever since.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Smarmint

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Afair they released at least one update after the guy left and I couldn't really tell the difference. It probably helped that it was the gfx guy, who left and the visuals never really were the strongest part of this game. I mean, it's kinda generic Daz stuff.
The frustrating thing was that the new game of the guy, who left was supposed to be a side project, but soon after he left he released a relatively huge first version, which seemed a little shady (and it's kind of a cash grab, or, in other words, basic and boring, at least compared to Last Call).
Nevertheless Last Call still got updated, even though the new gfx guy was learning Daz from scratch (he even posted videos about his progress afair). They way it fizzled out makes it seem like the devs were never really into it, which is frustrating, because their supporters were showing a lot of good will from the start. It seemed like a passion project, but all we're left with in the end is the generic cashgrab from the splinter dev, which has been going strong ever since.
It is sad that this game is gone, althought not really surprising after all this time.
I don't blame anything on the dev which left, iirc there were some real life changes, he also was the one which trained the guy which works on the visuals here (after he left the team), so i wouldn't call it shady.
As for his other game, yes he did release a large update a couple of months after he left the team, that game has no animations thought.

• Sad
Reactions: Kazanovaromeo

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
I don't get these last messages. Was the Abandoned tag first applied and then removed or what?
I've just arrived and nothing seems to have changed here.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I don't get these last messages. Was the Abandoned tag first applied and then removed or what?
I've just arrived and nothing seems to have changed here.
Long story short....

Devs started out making game. One of the devs left to work on his own game and the devs of this never recovered.

The update after all the shit went down took a long time but since then it's like they stopped giving a shit.

Rules for the abandoned tag have changed recently and now it's 18 months of no update and it gets tagged. That 18 months is up very soon.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Long story short....

Devs started out making game. One of the devs left to work on his own game and the devs of this never recovered.

The update after all the shit went down took a long time but since then it's like they stopped giving a shit.

Rules for the abandoned tag have changed recently and now it's 18 months of no update and it gets tagged. That 18 months is up very soon.
Avaron, you know I've been in this thread for years; you didn't need to explain that for me :BootyTime:

What I meant is that I didn't understand those last few messages suddenly speaking as if the game were officially dead, saying goodbye to it and all. That's why I thought that maybe the abandoned tag had been put and then removed. One more day and the tag will be in order, though, so maybe you were kind of preparing yourselves.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
If we're all perfectly honest, there is only one person truly believed this would get an update.

Then again, i'm still not sure if he actually believed an update would happen or was just trying to be loyal to his friends and saying nice things about them.

This is about like the dev of Primal Instinct I was just talking about in another thread. Everything was laid out on a silver platter for this game to be a success. It had the design, the writing and a growing player base.

Feels like Offcuts all over again. They have a golden game that was left to rot. They then proceed to give out monthly blog posts on Patreon for years. Time goes by but nothing happens.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Actually, it's been just over 18 months without an update.
For F95 purposes, the game should be tagged "Abandoned" now even if it's still being worked on.

jclosed

Dec 3, 2019
"Aboned" tag already applied.
They must have reconsidered it or something.
And rightfully so. I can't see 10 day's would make any difference after 18 months of complete silence.

Look - I would love to see any progress in this VN, but at the other hand it does not make much sense to keep the VN in a zombie-like state and give the people here false hopes. The developer had enough time to do at least something. Even the tiniest update would have been enough (although it would not sit well with the plreaders here). But after 18 months of some promises but no substance there is a time when it has to be admitted that any hope of further progress is nothing but a fairy tale.

A shame, because I liked this one, but enough is enough...

Bobhanw

Feb 8, 2023
I'm going to be honest I don't like when devs won't say when a game is abandoned
I have way more respect for devs who are honest and admit when a game is dead
I don't think lying is a very nice thing to do
Have to agree being burned out or not feeling motivated working on a game is completely fine hell if you need some time think how your going to progress the story sure put it on hold but disappearing completely without a trace is kinda a jerk move as you said honesty is key especially if you decided to come back later with a new update or new game cause that way folk won't be skeptical of you

Bobhanw

Feb 8, 2023
Long story short....

Bit curious what other game was it the other dev moved on to?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Bit curious what other game was it the other dev moved on to?
they were making this and to be a king originally and due time constraints they were going to drop tbak but then they split and 1 went to make tbak and rest stayed on this.

now this is abandoned and other is on it's way there.

4.10 star(s) 50 Votes