Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
For anyone who decided to jump ship because of the proposed Patreon changes, Patreon has decided to not implement them after all, based on the negative feedback they received. This means that things will continue as they have been before, for the time being. They're promising that they'll involve patrons and creators in discussions about such changes in the future, and that they'll stay out of the business relationship between a creator and his/her patrons.
Glad to hear, although from a business stand point I can see why they were trying to basically take a cut of the proceeds... As they are a business and they have to make money somehow... They must not be making enough money from Ads or they plan to grow the business, at least that is the only 2 logical reasons outside of greed that I can think of...

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
they don't need to go the ads route. they take a cut of the pledges. something like 5% and and extra 2% administrative fee or something like that. that's how they keep the lights on and the BMW payments going.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Glad to hear, although from a business stand point I can see why they were trying to basically take a cut of the proceeds... As they are a business and they have to make money somehow... They must not be making enough money from Ads or they plan to grow the business, at least that is the only 2 logical reasons outside of greed that I can think of...
they don't need to go the ads route. they take a cut of the pledges. something like 5% and and extra 2% administrative fee or something like that. that's how they keep the lights on and the BMW payments going.
This was not a cut for Patreon. It was for the payment providers. Patreon takes a straight 5%. Not everything needs to be a conspiracy, even if it's poorly thought out.

Reactions: Emperor_Arcturus

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
anyhow there are other forums to discuss this but good news is they are not proceeding with the changes.

now to look forward to 0.4 :FeelsGoodMan:

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
Anyway, all of this talk of cuneiform (by me) has given me an idea. Cuneiform was usually written on clay tablets or cylinders, and if you aren't familiar with them, they can seem quite unremarkable. I imagine a scene were there is a spell the player needs, perhaps the orientation altering spell, perhaps another one, which is written on such a tablet, and the protagonist has been using it as a doorstop or paperweight for years. It would work better in a point-and-click adventure game, where you could put it out in the open in the background of a room with a tiny hit box and laugh maniacally when players can't find it and wonder if it's even actually in the game. People should probably be happy I don't develop games.
That might be hard to do because Cuneiform tablets were also the first, and generally the best, form of encryption during the ancient era's. Basically, you could write them down on these tablets then, if I remember correctly, seal them between two tablets. That way, if the message came to you and it was opened, which you would have to do with a chisel, which would be very obvious to the person receiving the message, you could quickly realize that someone knows what you're planning and act against it. Cuneiform might make sense for the game, but at the same time it might not. Cuneiform was used in between the 31st Century BC to the 1st Century AD. But even by the 1st Century, and for a while before that, people were using papyrus to write things down, rather than the tablets (though that is mostly speculation, don't quote me on that, not an expert in that field). Coming across one randomly would be extremely rare, and most who would actually have a cuneiform tablet would realize that it's some form of writing, but perhaps not what it says. So, if you wanted to go down that route, perhaps a rich collector or merchant in town has one and you have to haggle for it?

Reactions: Augustus Commodus

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Belle you got annoyingly loyal patreons, they dont share anything with us :frown:
I was really struggling to understand what you are referring to, but it finally dawned on me. You're talking about the Patreon posts, aren't you? Heh, got to keep some boons for my patrons, you know. ;)

On the flip side, I've shared a lot of things in this thread that I haven't gotten around to sharing with my patrons yet (mostly because I forget).

Fenix34

Jun 16, 2017
I was really struggling to understand what you are referring to, but it finally dawned on me. You're talking about the Patreon posts, aren't you? Heh, got to keep some boons for my patrons, you know. ;)

On the flip side, I've shared a lot of things in this thread that I haven't gotten around to sharing with my patrons yet (mostly because I forget).
my broke ass is waiting on those previews of the girls

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
You won't get those particular previews without being a $20 patron (they are 4k renders made specifically as a patron reward), but I'll provide a different kind of preview for the rest of my patrons a little later.

WaveOfPig

May 12, 2017
Amidst all of these exceedingly long posts, I failed to land my eyes upon a date or time frame for the next release. Of course there may not exist such words amongst the copious sea of insights and quarrels that lay within the labyrinth that are these last few pages, but should such an offhand grouping of text exist, might one of the kind souls of this forum reiterate them to me?

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
Amidst all of these exceedingly long posts, I failed to land my eyes upon a date or time frame for the next release. Of course there may not exist such words amongst the copious sea of insights and quarrels that lay within the labyrinth that are these last few pages, but should such an offhand grouping of text exist, might one of the kind souls of this forum reiterate them to me?
There should be an update shortly sometime this month, the OP maybe miss dated the last update was Nov 29th or 30th.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
0.4 will be released to patrons before the end of the month. I don't give a specific date since I'd rather focus on getting it right than on hitting an arbitrary release date. 0.3 is going to be released to the public on December 28th.

WaveOfPig

May 12, 2017
0.4 will be released to patrons before the end of the month. I don't give a specific date since I'd rather focus on getting it right than on hitting an arbitrary release date. 0.3 is going to be released to the public on December 28th.
I totally understand not constricting yourself to a release date. I'm just hyped to see these new lady folk.

Reactions: Belle
Aug 15, 2017
That might be hard to do because Cuneiform tablets were also the first, and generally the best, form of encryption during the ancient era's. Basically, you could write them down on these tablets then, if I remember correctly, seal them between two tablets. That way, if the message came to you and it was opened, which you would have to do with a chisel, which would be very obvious to the person receiving the message, you could quickly realize that someone knows what you're planning and act against it. Cuneiform might make sense for the game, but at the same time it might not. Cuneiform was used in between the 31st Century BC to the 1st Century AD. But even by the 1st Century, and for a while before that, people were using papyrus to write things down, rather than the tablets (though that is mostly speculation, don't quote me on that, not an expert in that field). Coming across one randomly would be extremely rare, and most who would actually have a cuneiform tablet would realize that it's some form of writing, but perhaps not what it says. So, if you wanted to go down that route, perhaps a rich collector or merchant in town has one and you have to haggle for it?
Time to risk being brought before the Hague Tribunal again.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What? My wholly accurate description of them wasn't enough? Don't let Belle fool you with his "inaccurate" label. He's just trying to obfuscate the brilliance of my deductive skills.

My dearth of wit aside, there are only eight $20 patrons, and we have no way of knowing if any of them even frequent this thread. Unless one of them can be convinced to share, we'll just have to settle for whatever deliciously tender morsels of information Belle deigns to dish out to us ravenous hordes.

I totally understand not constricting yourself to a release date. I'm just hyped to see these new lady folk.
I'll add one observation to this. Belle has mentioned that there are a lot of things he or she would like to include in this update, but there may not be time for all of it. That indicates, to me at least, that while the release date is flexible, it is more likely to get released near the end of December than be delayed extensively because something isn't done yet. Of course, I'm often misread things, so take it for what it's worth.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Yeah, if I run out of time I'll release what I have and add what I didn't have time for in the next update instead. I'm still trying to get used to all of this, and it's not straightforward. It's also exhausting beyond what I was prepared for, but I can deal with that.

Fenix34

Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, if I run out of time I'll release what I have and add what I didn't have time for in the next update instead. I'm still trying to get used to all of this, and it's not straightforward. It's also exhausting beyond what I was prepared for, but I can deal with that.
yeah just go ahead and finish up the entire game by the end of the month thanks.

XD for real tho do what you can, we all appreciate your hard work!

Reactions: Belle

WaveOfPig

May 12, 2017
While I believe that the grind is super real right now, based on the size of this forum for the amount of time that its been up and your unique story and high quality renders, I believe that this will quickly become worth it. I'm actually predicting that your game will become one of these massive, multi-hundred page games because I believe your work merits it. Push through these beginning phases and you will be glad you persevered.

Reactions: drud and Belle

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
While I believe that the grind is super real right now, based on the size of this forum for the amount of time that its been up and your unique story and high quality renders, I believe that this will quickly become worth it. I'm actually predicting that your game will become one of these massive, multi-hundred page games because I believe your work merits it. Push through these beginning phases and you will be glad you persevered.
Thanks! Just to be clear, there's no reason to be afraid that I won't finish what I've started. As a person, I'm stubbornly dedicated to my projects. I've seen some other projects that fell apart because of the creator struggling with mental issues (such as depression), but I'm not like that at all. If I ever feel like I'm overworking myself, I'm perfectly capable of scaling back things until I get my head back above water, and then go full steam ahead again. It also helps that my life doesn't rely on the success or failure of this project, which keeps the pressure down.

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes