The Warden

Jun 25, 2017
...why woud you play a RenPy game online?...
I could understand if you have problems importing your old save files in the local installation, but the other way around?
Not to mention it's generaly a bad idea to import a save game from a later release into a previous one... that screams for unnecessary errors
"later release into a previous one" - when you get a headache, right?

I came across LLtP on gamcore and started playing it online. I got myself up to day 43 and have now come across a couple roadblocks (version .25 with a couple missing graphic files). So, I went googling and found this site and downloaded .26 directly. The online .25 version has an import/export save option in the top left of the screen, but the downloaded .26 does not. Unfortunately, simply copying the exported saves in the .25 saves folder doesn't result in a save that can be loaded (something about a missing matrix module). I really don't want to start all over. Is there an import function I'm missing, or is there a way to edit the save file and turn it into something useful? (I've seen save editors mentioned, but I haven't seen a link to any and googling hasn't turned up anything obviously useful.)
Thanks!
Online? Never saw, never won't.

YOU CAN'T IMPORT NEWEST SAVE GAME TO OLDER GAME VERSION!
There must be a huge warning sign on the site that warns about the save incompatibility between versions?
No, you have to know it in 2020.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Better do that as the story progress instead of trying to edit the save and end up with some weird errors.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I don't know why the perverted little faerie cracks me up so much but she does. Looking forward to seeing more.

Edit: I just realized why this seems so familiar to me. She's like a female version of the skull that Harry Dresden has in Dresden Files. They both have a similar sense of humor and are both comparably sex crazed.

Last edited:

Betobe

Nov 18, 2019
"later release into a previous one" - when you get a headache, right?

Online? Never saw, never won't.

YOU CAN'T IMPORT NEWEST SAVE GAME TO OLDER GAME VERSION!
There must be a huge warning sign on the site that warns about the save incompatibility between versions?
No, you have to know it in 2020.
My mistake...I meant I tried to copy the exported save from .25 into the .26 directory.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
My mistake...I meant I tried to copy the exported save from .25 into the .26 directory.
than it depends on what files you exported/imported?
I think you need the "persistent" file and "1-1-LT1.save" for example
Also make sure you have the save files in both locations (game folder AND "C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Roaming\RenPy")

Armin

Dec 16, 2017
Well, that was sort of a gut shot for me. FQ was always my favorite and even if t was a longshot, I was sorta kinda hoping for her to be an epilogue option. But it is a hallmark of good writing that you go through even with the unpleasant consequences, and since saving the MC critically weakened (read pretty much killed her anyway) this really is the only way forward.
There is a NG+ mode planned, the FQ storyline has a lot of places where future insight can derail things.

Betobe

Nov 18, 2019
than it depends on what files you exported/imported?
I think you need the "persistent" file and "1-1-LT1.save" for example
Also make sure you have the save files in both locations (game folder AND "C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Roaming\RenPy")
I've placed the save files (persistent wasn't included in the .25 export so I just left the .26 file where it was) in both the game/saves and .renpy/LongLiveThePrincess-502893155 directories (I'm using Linux). The following is the error I get when trying to load one of the .25 save files:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 452, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
ImportError: No module named matrix

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/ast.py", line 912, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/python.py", line 2004, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
ui.interact()
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/ui.py", line 295, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/core.py", line 2699, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/core.py", line 3510, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/layout.py", line 998, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/layout.py", line 998, in event
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/screen.py", line 707, in event
rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/layout.py", line 244, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/layout.py", line 244, in event
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 946, in event
return handle_click(self.clicked)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 881, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 320, in run
return action(*args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 452, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/loadsave.py", line 760, in load
roots, log = loads(location.load(filename))
File "/home/###/Downloads/llp/LongLiveThePrincess-0.26.0-pc/renpy/loadsave.py", line 63, in loads
return cPickle.loads(s)
ImportError: No module named matrix

Linux-5.3.5-200.fc30.x86_64-x86_64-with-fedora-30-Thirty
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
Long Live the Princess 0.26.0
Mon Nov 18 18:34:27 2019

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I've placed the save files (persistent wasn't included in the .25 export so I just left the .26 file where it was) in both the game/saves and .renpy/LongLiveThePrincess-502893155 directories (I'm using Linux). The following is the error I get when trying to load one of the .25 save files:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'd say either you have a corrupted DL or what ever that "export" of your file is you got is not a common RenPy save...

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
One minor issue I have noticed is that in certain scenes the music cuts out and the game is silent. Not sure if that's intentional or accidental but it would be nice to at least have some ambient sound like crickets or whatever if it's supposed to be a quieter scene rather than total silence.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
One minor issue I have noticed is that in certain scenes the music cuts out and the game is silent. Not sure if that's intentional or accidental but it would be nice to at least have some ambient sound like crickets or whatever if it's supposed to be a quieter scene rather than total silence.
I try to use ambient sound where it makes sense for the location, but I might have missed a couple of spots. Some locations would have so little ambience that I didn't bother including any.

My long-term plan is to add sound effects to spice things up a bit. Look at the Ace Attorney series for an idea of what I have in mind. The big challenge I have is that there is too little music for it to keep playing at all times. It would become way too repetitive if I tried. Adding more music isn't really a straightforward thing either. I have high standards when I pick which music to include, and that comes with a price tag attached. The music in this game so far has cost me $500 in licensing fees. If the number of patrons/subscribers at the $5 level and above ever passes 1000, I'll have to fork out an additional $1500. So, it shouldn't be any surprise that I have kept the music selection somewhat sparse.

I plan to compose some music of my own for the later parts of the game. That should be fun, and I won't have to pay any license fees. :)

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes