Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
I posted a today about who people's favorite girl in the game is at the moment. If you're a patron at any level, don't forget to vote. :)

It's surprisingly exciting to watch the development as the votes come in. Right now Belle and Primrose are in the lead but really close to each other. I hadn't expected Primrose to get this many votes, actually.
I hope my personal favourite Primrose will make it :) At least she got my vote

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Primose is pretty high tier, but from what I've read Belle and Nell are by far the most beloved girls in the game.
Belle and Nell fans are more vocal about it, at the very least. I think there is a reason why this is the case, but I'm going to save that for my in-depth look at Primrose if she ends up winning.

Aug 15, 2017
I went ahead and voted for Nell, but it's tough to pick one. Right now, my personal rankings would be Nell > Callie > Primrose > Evelyn > Samarra with Callie and Primrose almost tied. To be honest, I'm not sure where I feel Belle fits. Between her working completely differently to the other characters and her fourth wall breaks . . . I think the best way to describe my feeling for Belle is that she is literally in a class all by herself.

Reactions: Belle

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
@Belle I was wondering, is Nell somehow inspired by Mantis from Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Not her personality, but her face? Somehow I see a similarity between them

York24

Dec 10, 2017
Speaking of NTR, I have a question to those of you who strongly disapprove of it:

Previously, some people have suggested a way to not change Callie's sexual orientation and instead hook her up with other girls to make her happy that way, perhaps allowing the player to secretly watch as the two girls have hot lesbian sex with each other. What are your feelings about this kind of optional story? I'm not saying it's something that is guaranteed to be in the game, but the thought appeals to me for a number of reasons. Yet it would result in characters having sex with each other without the player being directly involved, which is why I'm asking this question. I honestly don't even consider it to be anything remotely close to NTR (at least based on Urban Dictionary's description of it), but seeing as some people react in an almost absurdly strong fashion to even the idea of NPCs having sex with each other, I figured I might as well ask.
Im a fan of redheads, so any content with her would be nice. Up to you.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
@Belle I was wondering, is Nell somehow inspired by Mantis from Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Not her personality, but her face? Somehow I see a similarity between them
I have never watched either of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, so no.

zazzaro

Jun 5, 2017
I went ahead and voted for Nell, but it's tough to pick one. Right now, my personal rankings would be Nell > Callie > Primrose > Evelyn > Samarra with Callie and Primrose almost tied. To be honest, I'm not sure where I feel Belle fits. Between her working completely differently to the other characters and her fourth wall breaks . . . I think the best way to describe my feeling for Belle is that she is literally in a class all by herself.
I have the same tier list, down to Callie and Primose being very close to each other. I however can pretty safely put Belle between Nell and Callie, and very close to the former.

Reactions: Augustus Commodus
Aug 16, 2016
Belle is in a class of her own due to personality and her 'wingman' status. The others don't have nearly the same kind of opportunities to make their personalities come forward and shine. For the other girls it'd have to go Prim > Nell > Evelyn > Samara. Once I found Callie was not interested in men, my mind just kind of moved on since that'd be a waste of time and I don't see what right MC would have to try to make her change her preferences.

zazzaro

Jun 5, 2017
Belle is in a class of her own due to personality and her 'wingman' status. The others don't have nearly the same kind of opportunities to make their personalities come forward and shine. For the other girls it'd have to go Prim > Nell > Evelyn > Samara. Once I found Callie was not interested in men, my mind just kind of moved on since that'd be a waste of time and I don't see what right MC would have to try to make her change her preferences.
I don't see how the MC has a right to mind control girls into fucking him either, or molesting them in their sleep for that matters. It's a videogame, just try not to think about if you can and enjoy the tits.

Anyway, Samara seems to be the lowest for everyone... and I'm ok with that.

Renetta

Jan 30, 2018
My ranking:
0. Belle (the unfair option in the poll in my opinion, she just plays such a different roll in the game then rest of the girls)
1. Evelyn (your beautiful blonde virgin sister, who is secretly in love with you.I will never forgive the dev for what he did to her)
2. Samarra(Hot character and very different then other girls in the game,no real story yet but there is a lot of potential in her)
3. Primrose(super cute weirdo who seems to be into you, sadly lacks any real personality)
4. Callie(pretty character but unfortunetly very under developed as of now)
5. Nell(never understood the facination that guys have with asians and i probably never will)

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't thought a lot about it myself yet, admittedly. I would probably limit the available pool of options, not only because of what you just pointed out, but also because it would be a nightmare to implement this for "every" girl in the game. I don't want this to be some kind of major feature, but instead a fun option for people to play around with if they want. I love options.
I had considered asking whether we'd have an opportunity to set Callie up with someone, but ended up discarding the notion when I reflected on just how much work that could be for a character who wasn't the main. I'm quite glad to hear that you're considering a way to implement it anyway! I like Callie, and playing matchmaker for your cool best friend sounds like a nice thing to do, even without considering the voyeuristic possibilities. I mean, those are neat too, but it would feel strange to me if you couldn't help your best friend if you weren't interested in her yourself, since you're well aware of her romantic frustrations.

Character Rankings
Since everyone else is talking about theirs...

1) Belle (Isn't it kind of cheating for her to participate in these rankings? Well, it's not like Belle cares about not cheating, I guess...)

2) Callie (Not as a romantic option, but something about her attitude just seems endearing, I guess? Like the big sister you never had.)

3) Samarra (One has to respect a woman who knows what she wants, really. Something about her way of speaking rubs me the wrong way, but it can't really be changed without changing her characterization.)

4) Primrose (I do love bookworms, but it doesn't feel like she has enough characterization yet... She'll probably rise a lot in my rankings once she's more developed.)

5) Nell (I want to like her, but she's just so... Passive. I feel like I'd like her a lot more in five years, once she's had a bit of independence. She's awfully cute, though, and the core of her personality is sound. She just needs more seasoning, though that would probably turn off people who like her as she is.)

6) Evelyn (I don't dislike her or anything, but we don't see her often, and I'm not really into the whole incest thing. I kind of wish there was a path for her to end up with Thaddeus instead of Dickon, just so she could have a healthier relationship than pining for her brother, but the playerbase would surely revolt.)

Aug 15, 2017
I don't want this to be some kind of major feature, but instead a fun option for people to play around with if they want.
It occurs to me that many of the features of this game run the risk of feature creep. As mentioned already, the spell to alter sexual orientation, which is an important facet in Callie's and Belle's stories, could potentially be used on any girl. Invade Mind would be extremely useful in myriad situations, if only to be able to have a conversation with a character which they will not remember later. Have a stubborn guard that's impeding your progress? If you happen to uncover one of his secrets, you can use Remove Inhibitions on him: "Guard duty is so boring. Wouldn't you rather head on over to the local pub and throw back a pint?" I do think it's a testament to how good some of these ideas are that they can ignite the imagination, but I can also see things spiraling out of control.
Once I found Callie was not interested in men, my mind just kind of moved on since that'd be a waste of time and I don't see what right MC would have to try to make her change her preferences.
2) Callie (Not as a romantic option, but something about her attitude just seems endearing, I guess? Like the big sister you never had.)
I think 05841035411 said this quite well. There are other ways to like a character other than romantically. I share your wariness of imposing such a drastic change upon Callie; it feels like a fundamental violation of her character. She's still currently second on my list. I am very interested in seeing how the friendship between her and Dickon will evolve.
Anyway, Samara seems to be the lowest for everyone... and I'm ok with that.
She is the least developed of them all. I suspect she'll rise quite a bit in the ranks once I start to reveal her story. She's way more than just an angry fighter.
Samarra just made a bad first impression with me. First, she's wearing typical female fantasy armor, which is a pet peeve of mine. Armor is supposed either absorb or, preferably, deflect blows. The angles of a chain-mail bikini-style armor creates traps that actually deflect blows towards vital areas, such as the sternum or throat. It's actually more dangerous for the wearer to be in a fight in that armor than no armor at all. It can transform what would be a superficial wound into a mortal one. I know realism isn't necessarily the best mindset to have while enjoying a fantasy game, but it just bugs me. I'm also fairly conservative, and I find tattoos unattractive, further hindering Samarra's appeal to me. Finally, I don't like conflating sex with violence; therefore, I do not share Samarra's arousal from the adrenaline rush of battle. I'll try to keep an open mind, and Samarra may still win me over, but she definitely started with a handicap compared to the other girls. Everyone has different tastes, though, and it's good that Samarra's in the game for those that find her attributes appealing.
3. Primrose(super cute weirdo who seems to be into you, sadly lacks any real personality)
4) Primrose (I do love bookworms, but it doesn't feel like she has enough characterization yet... She'll probably rise a lot in my rankings once she's more developed.)
I must cavil at those assessments. Everyone has their own tastes, and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder;" consequently, it's only natural some will like some characters or less than others, but I actually think Primrose is one of the most developed characters in the game. She's a romantic, and she lives partially in her own little fantasy world. Ahab is her wise, benevolent, and protective father. Sure, he drinks too much and his glances make her a little uncomfortable, but he really is a great man. Then there's Dickon. He used to be boring and a bit of a nuisance, but then she realized that he's a type of mage, just like in the stories. So powerful and dashing, and . . . and he seems to understand her and help her. Could he be her hero?

Primrose is probably, besides Belle, the most fleshed out character in the game at this point. That might be part of the reason why those two characters are dominating the poll so far. She isn't delusional, but her romanticism colors her perception of the world, allowing her to see value in things others would cast aside. The subtle evolution of Primrose's reactions to and interactions with the protagonist speak volumes about her character and her personality; however, with Primrose being so understated, reserved and introverted, it speaks in a mere whisper. On the other hand, Belle is the only one that really knows Primrose's character, and I may be letting my own romanticism color the way I view the character.

On a slightly related note, here is small update on the poll for non-patrons as of the time I'm writing this. Earlier, it was neck-and-neck between Primrose and Belle, with the pixie seeming to hold a slight edge, but Primrose looks like she's starting to run away with it.
6) Evelyn (I don't dislike her or anything, but we don't see her often, and I'm not really into the whole incest thing. I kind of wish there was a path for her to end up with Thaddeus instead of Dickon, just so she could have a healthier relationship than pining for her brother, but the playerbase would surely revolt.)
Considering the planned New Game+ feature, this made me imagine a Groundhog Day scenario. At first, Dickon just wants to use his powers to seduce beautiful woman and benefit himself, but eventually he realizes how empty and shallow such an existence is. He decides to spend his ever repeating existence to learn to help those around him. He finds Callie a nice girlfriend, he convinces Evelyn to pursue a relationship with Thaddeus, he amicably resolves the tension between Primrose and her father. He becomes a wise and beloved figure in his town. I'm kind of interested in seeing a scenario and ending along those lines, but I'm also unsure whether the average player would consider that a good ending or a bad one.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
It occurs to me that many of the features of this game run the risk of feature creep.
They would, but I try to avoid letting them. Things like a potential spell for changing sexual orientation would only be available to cast in a few, important situations, not for every character in the game. It's the kind of thing I might go back and add to after the rest of the game is finished though, but it's not something that's going to push the ending back as far as I'm concerned.

I'm generally very mindful of the development progress for this game. I don't want it to be stuck in dev limbo but want to make sure it gets completed within a reasonable amount of time. Some of the game's limitations are set up to help facilitate this.

I must cavil at those assessments. Everyone has their own tastes, and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder;" consequently, it's only natural some will like some characters or less than others, but I actually think Primrose is one of the most developed characters in the game. She's a romantic, and she lives partially in her own little fantasy world. Ahab is her wise, benevolent, and protective father. Sure, he drinks too much and his glances make her a little uncomfortable, but he really is a great man. Then there's Dickon. He used to be boring and a bit of a nuisance, but then she realized that he's a type of mage, just like in the stories. So powerful and dashing, and . . . and he seems to understand her and help her. Could he be her hero?

Primrose is probably, besides Belle, the most fleshed out character in the game at this point. That might be part of the reason why those two characters are dominating the poll so far. She isn't delusional, but her romanticism colors her perception of the world, allowing her to see value in things others would cast aside. The subtle evolution of Primrose's reactions to and interactions with the protagonist speak volumes about her character and her personality; however, with Primrose being so understated, reserved and introverted, it speaks in a mere whisper. On the other hand, Belle is the only one that really knows Primrose's character, and I may be letting my own romanticism color the way I view the character.
I like your romanticized view of her. It's actually not all that far off, but I haven't seen anyone really mention most of it before. Primrose's interactions with the MC are dominated by a specific character trait of hers. I get the impression that a lot of people misinterpret it, just like many people do in real life as well. I'm going to talk about this in the article I write about her if she ends up winning the poll. She definitely has a more complex personality than many seem to give her credit for, which doesn't surprise me at all.

zazzaro

Jun 5, 2017
My ranking:
0. Belle (the unfair option in the poll in my opinion, she just plays such a different roll in the game then rest of the girls)
1. Evelyn (your beautiful blonde virgin sister, who is secretly in love with you.I will never forgive the dev for what he did to her)
2. Samarra(Hot character and very different then other girls in the game,no real story yet but there is a lot of potential in her)
4. Callie(pretty character but unfortunetly very under developed as of now)
5. Nell(never understood the facination that guys have with asians and i probably never will)
That's a weird tier list.

Anyway it's not asians per se, it's Nell herself. Personally I only have a bias for asian/caucasian mixes, those are by far the prettiest ethnicity.

Jan 10, 2018
Primrose is probably, besides Belle, the most fleshed out character in the game at this point.
Ah, let me rephrase my two-sentence assessment a bit... It's not that Primrose hasn't been developed, but rather that the game has been laying the foundation for her up to this point, and we haven't yet seen the payoff for it yet.

For a character like Callie or Samarra, the foundation itself is something the player can immediately interact with, as they appear to be fairly open characters, but for Primrose, the foundation is built in large part upon her reluctance to interact with other people, and in seeing the few connections she has to others. We get a few hints as to what the deeper person is like, but there are more mysteries to her than there are direct statements, and one can see several different types of person which could plausibly lie beneath.

I usually like characters like this, so I expect I'll like her after we progress further in her character arc, but I do need to see more of her before I can really give a fair opinion of her. As it stands, much of what I could say about her would really just be me forcing my interpretation on things by connecting her to similar characters that she might not actually have much in common with at all when she's fully revealed, and on drawing conclusions from the hints that we've been given that I might be reading too much into. Not that there's any real harm in that, of course, but I'd rather not get too attached to a character interpretation that might be contradicted in the next update.

It's not that she's underdeveloped relative to the other characters, but rather that her personality requires more effort to reveal relative to the others, and we're not far enough into the work as a whole to see enough of the picture.

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes