Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
playing on my gaming pc, windows 10. every save is broken and i start the game over each update
It's kinda hard to diagnose it from afar like this, but since it works for most people (that don't use mods) just fine, it's most likely something on your end. Try other save games, make sure the versions are complete and save games are moved over correctly, make sure you really didn't use a mod of any kind etc.

stargate1979

Mar 12, 2020
It's kinda hard to diagnose it from afar like this, but since it works for most people (that don't use mods) just fine, it's most likely something on your end. Try other save games, make sure the versions are complete and save games are moved over correctly, make sure you really didn't use a mod of any kind etc.
will do thanks

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
Question. I do not use mods, however every fucking update I have to start this shit over. These devs do realize that many games don't have this issue. recycle bin time
Sorry you've had issues. It is something that people do mention with every update, but it never seems like it affects the majority, so it's kinda a head scratcher. A lot of people who do run into the problem find that an earlier hard/quick/autosave works.

I suspect it might be owed to saves made on the thanksforplaying screen. I've never had a save break from that personally, but I may start commenting that code out instead of outright removing it to see if that cuts down on broken save reports.

YuNobi1

Aug 9, 2021
Sorry you've had issues. It is something that people do mention with every update, but it never seems like it affects the majority, so it's kinda a head scratcher. A lot of people who do run into the problem find that an earlier hard/quick/autosave works.

I suspect it might be owed to saves made on the thanksforplaying screen. I've never had a save break from that personally, but I may start commenting that code out instead of outright removing it to see if that cuts down on broken save reports.
I always make sure that I'm at least a couple speech boxes before the "thanks for playing screen" for the "end-of-update" save, but it will always fail to load in the following update. Older (pre-immediate preceding update) saves will load, so I don’t know if the issue is caused by the previous update, or a save needs to be made before the last scene, or perhaps a minimum number of screens before the end in order to load properly.

Biscardone

May 2, 2020

You may be onto something. I don't know very much about Ren'py, but the first thing that popped in my mind is: how does Ren'py handle loading a save which "points" to a line of dialogue, or generally speaking a place in a script, which has been removed (or simply moved) between two different releases? (A stack trace may be useful to diagnose the problem)
I can't promise much, but now that my curiosity is piqued, I'll see if I can run a test on that particular edge case.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
On that note, I did lose time in how some memories were unlocked and then relocked if the game shuts down. Never quite tracked that down (and then again, I'm replaying the thing from the beginning and starting to streamline that process to what works for me so I'm not complaining...)

MrBubu

Mar 31, 2022

What I have seen other dev do is leaving the screen but adding the jump right after (and maybe removing some pause or something), so that when you load the game it seamlessly goes to the new part (user does not see the thanksforplaying screen on load). It's worth a try.

You may be onto something. I don't know very much about Ren'py, but the first thing that popped in my mind is: how does Ren'py handle loading a save which "points" to a line of dialogue, or generally speaking a place in a script, which has been removed (or simply moved) between two different releases? (A stack trace may be useful to diagnose the problem)
I can't promise much, but now that my curiosity is piqued, I'll see if I can run a test on that particular edge case.
My gut feeling is that renpy handles saves location the same way it handles if you've seen text. For each files it stores the exact line that was seen, or where you are at the time of save.

e.g.: scriptX.rpy: "Some dialogue with possibly a typpo"

Now if that line is fixed to: scriptX.rpy: "Some dialogue now without the typo" and you happened to have a save at that exact location then renpy won't be able to find it and load the game.

Maybe try to test that theory if you have time.

On that note, I did lose time in how some memories were unlocked and then relocked if the game shuts down. Never quite tracked that down (and then again, I'm replaying the thing from the beginning and starting to streamline that process to what works for me so I'm not complaining...)
Yes that happened to me before, the persistent game state is persisted only if the game exits normally, if it crashes then it is not saved. It is not saved when you save a game (they are different files).

Tuatha Dé

Oct 20, 2021
a query before there was another mod, I think it was a multi mod that allowed you to select all the features at the beginning, do you know who was the one who uploaded it and if he has a patreon or something like that, I don't know his files had the extension .rpyc because the WT mod are the .rpy
Because none of my saves work :c
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Biscardone

May 2, 2020
My gut feeling is that renpy handles saves location the same way it handles if you've seen text. For each files it stores the exact line that was seen, or where you are at the time of save.

e.g.: scriptX.rpy: "Some dialogue with possibly a typpo"

Now if that line is fixed to: scriptX.rpy: "Some dialogue now without the typo" and you happened to have a save at that exact location then renpy won't be able to find it and load the game.

Maybe try to test that theory if you have time.
Well, I ran a couple of tests, and I was able to somewhat reproduce the issue - loading a save made on the "Thanks for playing" screen with an older version of the game in a newer one causes a blocking exception with the message "Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?". However this test was run from non-standard conditions (I started the game and immediately jumped to a label near the endgame to speed up the process), and that may be part of the issue, or muddle the waters anyways. I need to perform some more tests with a cleaner setup - something I'll probably lack the time to do in the near future. I'll let you and TD know if I manage to.

Last edited:

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
BIG QUESTIONS for the Authors:

1. does a chapter cover a whole week? i.e.: will chapter 4 include the whole 3rd week with the 3rd exhibition?

2. if yes, how many parts till the end of week 3? is chapter 4, part 4 going to cover the weekend exhibition?

3. have you already decided how the story ends?

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
BIG QUESTIONS for the Authors:

1. does a chapter cover a whole week? i.e.: will chapter 4 include the whole 3rd week with the 3rd exhibition?

2. if yes, how many parts till the end of week 3? is chapter 4, part 4 going to cover the weekend exhibition?

3. have you already decided how the story ends?
I'm not the author, but I'll take a stab at it.

1. Yes, the Chapters correspond to the weeks of the Exhibition. Chapter 4 will be the final week of the competition and also the end of the game (plus the prologue and potentially some epilogues). TD has explained this in the past, and AFAIK it's still the plan.
  2. I don't think there's a set number of parts; it's been growing with each Chapter as the plot (and number of variables) expand. Since TD has begun to favor smaller but more timely updates, the number is likely to keep rising, but we'll just have to see what happens.
  3. I'm pretty sure TD knows how the game will end in broad strokes, but I doubt he has every path planned out in detail. He'll likely add or alter material to 'fit the meter' when he's finally writing the end.
Again, these are just my educated guesses.

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
How often does an update come out?
Ch1 - 2020/04/16
Ch2.1 - 2020/08/02 (109 days)
Ch2.2 - 2020/11/23 (114 days)
Ch3.1 - 2021/03/15 (113 days)
Ch3.2 - 2021/08/18 (157 days)
Ch3.3 - 2021/12/31 (136 days)
Ch3.4 - 2022/06/18 (170 days)
Ch4.1 - 2022/10/31 (136 days)
Ch4.2 - 2023/04/15 (167 days)
Ch4.3 - 2023/09/01 (140 days)
The simple average is 138 days, but the first three updates were quicker. I suspect that TD and GIL were ablaze with youthful vigor in that halcyon year of 2020. Or maybe it was due to lockdown; there's no way to know. But looking at just the last six updates, the average is 151 days. More interestingly, recent updates seem to alternate between ≈138 day intervals and ≈165 day intervals. Following that pattern, we could expect approximately 165 days from Sep 1st.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
I'm not the author, but I'll take a stab at it.

1. Yes, the Chapters correspond to the weeks of the Exhibition. Chapter 4 5 will be the final week of the competition and also the end of the game (plus the prologue and potentially some epilogues). TD has explained this in the past, and AFAIK it's still the plan.
5 chapters, it is, then. Chapter 1 is the prologue, chapter 5 will be the 4th week. I hope we'll have proper aftermath stories for each main girl (Mina, Hana and the Carnations).

Ch1 - 2020/04/16
Ch2.1 - 2020/08/02 (109 days)
Ch2.2 - 2020/11/23 (114 days)
Ch3.1 - 2021/03/15 (113 days)
Ch3.2 - 2021/08/18 (157 days)
Ch3.3 - 2021/12/31 (136 days)
Ch3.4 - 2022/06/18 (170 days)
Ch4.1 - 2022/10/31 (136 days)
Ch4.2 - 2023/04/15 (167 days)
Ch4.3 - 2023/09/01 (140 days)
The simple average is 138 days, but the first three updates were quicker. I suspect that TD and GIL were ablaze with youthful vigor in that halcyon year of 2020. Or maybe it was due to lockdown; there's no way to know. But looking at just the last six updates, the average is 151 days. More interestingly, recent updates seem to alternate between ≈138 day intervals and ≈165 day intervals. Following that pattern, we could expect approximately 165 days from Sep 1st.
Early releases had not animations - they started to add them later. This is why early releases were faster, I guess. Just my hunch.

It would be nice if we had the next update for Xmas time.

Reactions: Bill Temple
4.90 star(s) 474 Votes