JinnRemona

Feb 18, 2018
It isn't true when one of several things happens: A. The developer says it is no longer in progress, B. The developer goes completely radio silent for multiple months, minimum of three, C. The developer is caught in a milking scheme.

None of the above is the case, so the game is not dead.

As for being scared of something that won't happen, that is correct, because he isn't getting funding for the version it would happen to. We're talking about companies like Toei and DC Comics here, both of which are known to be very active against copyright infringement. In fact, Toei has been so active in the last year that several YouTube channels that were under blatant fair use protection got hit by incorrect copyright strikes. The only reason other parody games are fine now is because they aren't parodying off of huge companies with both the resources and the will to go after those games. You seem to be under the impression that everyone abandoned ship, but that isn't the case or development would have shut down a while ago, and no, a pause is not a shutdown.
Yes they are. Your arguments are literally countered by a simple glance around on F95. Hell, I saw two different DC related games, and surprise, one about Dragonball. That was a quick glance too. So go tell your lies to idiots who might actually believe them. And many others from other publishers who, apparently, strike out against parody games by your own claims, but all live on perfectly fine. So don’t use the that excuse when it’s really a fear of nothing.

Reactions: Abagofbabies

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Yes they are. Your arguments are literally countered by a simple glance around on F95. Hell, I saw two different DC related games, and surprise, one about Dragonball. That was a quick glance too. So go tell your lies to idiots who might actually believe them. And many others from other publishers who, apparently, strike out against parody games by your own claims, but all live on perfectly fine. So don’t use the that excuse when it’s really a fear of nothing.
I'll go tell my 'lies' when there are lies to be told. Until then, the truth is only a few pages back, written by Paradice himself and then quoted by him after. You can believe what you want, but what you believe and the actual status of this game are not the same. There is no such thing as a fear of nothing in this case, all it takes is the wrong person crossed by a developer, whether a player who doesn't like the direction a game is taking or a troll, to bring the attention and copyright claim from the actual copyright owners. It has happened before and it will eventually happen again, the only question for future cases is who will be struck by it. It was an extremely good precaution to take, a better one would have been not to make a parody from the start. This is Patreon we're talking about, they suspend first and ask questions later, so it is better to not take chances.

ParadiceZone

Game Developer
Sep 7, 2019
I'll go tell my 'lies' when there are lies to be told. Until then, the truth is only a few pages back, written by Paradice himself and then quoted by him after.
Hey man, it's not a winning fight here, Jinn has always been ranting about how this game is dead, even when it was getting weekly releases. If it's not on patreon, then the game is dead for him.

Appreciate it though.

Just as a refresher to anyone reading.

Game is onhold, and because of various reasons I have stated before, even the H edition isn't getting as big of releases as it used to. If I was really abandoning the game, with no intent to update it, I wouldn't be making this effort here to let people know it's onhold, or I would simply label the game as abandoned.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
He's not the only one, either. That mentality is rampant across places like F95 and even Patreon has its fair share. Your keeping us up to date is appreciated as well, hoping things work out for you both in terms of getting the games back to full speed and in general.

Jul 30, 2018
so the game is on hold because of potential lawsuit ?
understanable, the other one is a good one to be profit and this can be (just to sastify horny bois)
take your time brother, you need it when it came to those lawsuit
PUT was out because of such thing too
i don't want another parody to be killed just because it doesn't fit their way of portray the original characters ;)

JinnRemona

Feb 18, 2018
understanable, the other one is a good one to be profit and this can be (just to sastify horny bois)
i don't want another parody to be killed just because it doesn't fit their way of portray the original characters ;)
There's no lawsuit. There's nothing but fears in his own head, at present. So the game is on permanent hold, because chances are slim he'll resume it. The other game makes him money and he thinks this one doesn't. So, probably best to move on. Lots of other games out there doing great Parody games.

Lupin the 3rd

Sep 21, 2019
There's no lawsuit. There's nothing but fears in his own head, at present. So the game is on permanent hold, because chances are slim he'll resume it. The other game makes him money and he thinks this one doesn't. So, probably best to move on. Lots of other games out there doing great Parody games.
As long as the Developer says that he returns to this game at some point, your reply here is bullshit.
He is not a "Icstor" Variant so you can't judge him here. ICC Creations also works on two games and Filf gets on hold a couple of months before he starts working on it again (right now, He works for new updates).
Also how are you so sure that it is unreasonable fear in this case? Maybe he really got problems and was asked to remove it.
You should really READ the RULES here and how this game got the On Hold Tag. The Developer communitate here that the Game get's a break but will come back. This my friend is "on hold" and not "abandoned". Get your facts right.

Either way, no one really cares for the Non Parody (H) Version since the Parody Version is better so I hope that the new Update comes soon.

JinnRemona

Feb 18, 2018
As long as the Developer says that he returns to this game at some point, your reply here is bullshit.
He is not a "Icstor" Variant so you can't judge him here. ICC Creations also works on two games and Filf gets on hold a couple of months before he starts working on it again (right now, He works for new updates).
Also how are you so sure that it is unreasonable fear in this case? Maybe he really got problems and was asked to remove it.
You should really READ the RULES here and how this game got the On Hold Tag. The Developer communitate here that the Game get's a break but will come back. This my friend is "on hold" and not "abandoned". Get your facts right.

Either way, no one really cares for the Non Parody (H) Version since the Parody Version is better so I hope that the new Update comes soon.
Those artists aren't this one, this one won't ever continue it because, as both he and others have said, he doesn't see any money in it. Those other artists you mentioned worked on two games, but didn't drag one side of their fans through the dirt and completely ignore one while making both of them. Also, your argument that I have no idea whether their is a case is just...dumb. Straight up dumb. No offense, but it is.

If he had gotten any kind of situation that forced him to remove it, guess what, we wouldn't be here talking. It would be gone, and the game wouldn't be on hold. He also would've likely told us that, instead of keeping all his fans waiting for something that won't come. The developer only posts here to constantly tell people that he's not actually abandoning a game that is basically abandoned, and everyone knows it. That's why they've all moved on.

And yes, I do agree. No one cares about the H Version and that the Parody version is better. Too bad the Dev can't see that.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Not directly, this version of the game was taken off of Patreon to avoid the potential for a lawsuit and another version of the game with completely original characters made with Honey Select 2 took its place. As a result, this one is currently on hold while the other gets more focus for funding reasons among others.

There is no permanent hold, but there would have been if he had continued using this version for funding. This version is on hold because the other one, as the funded project, gets priority.

The removal was done as a precaution, there was no copyright holder telling him to stop, he started the other version as the one to be getting Patreon funding to make sure that didn't happen in the first place. The problem here is a clash between player impatience (and it is not a single player, there is a group of them) focused on the completely free version, the one that is not being funded by Patreon to avoid potential copyright issues, and the developer placing more focus on the one getting him funding to continue development.

These players need to understand that game development is not a free industry, we (I say we because I am also a hobbyist developer that refuses to release specifically because of this kind of drama, I develop for my own enjoyment) can't just pull a game engine, video assets, graphical assets, audio assets, and a completed code structure out of thin air. There isn't a single developer on the planet that can singlehandedly make every aspect of a game without preexisting assets or commissioning new ones, there are expenses involved. For the majority of Patreon developers, that's where Patreon comes in. Patreon gives us the funding, assuming people are willing to subscribe, without having to take every expense out of our own pockets, which then frees us up to make a better game than we could have without ever spending anything (free assets tend to suck...horribly. They are completely unsuited to be anything except a placeholder, so we have to get funding at some point to replace them or the game is guaranteed to fail. Paid assets tend to not be cheap enough to completely fund it out of a lone developer's pocket, only big companies like Microsoft and small teams that pool resources can pull that off without risking being unable to pay living expenses).

Jul 30, 2018
Not directly, this version of the game was taken off of Patreon to avoid the potential for a lawsuit and another version of the game with completely original characters made with Honey Select 2 took its place. As a result, this one is currently on hold while the other gets more focus for funding reasons among others.
"Potential" is enough for me to put me on edge
especialy if you are doing Parody work
you just have to thread carefuly in parody work or you will lose all the years progress because the "Company" said so
try nintendo for the example and i get it why the dev is on edge and put it on hold for now
i don't think it's the dev greed or laziness for the game
but when it's "possible" for the game to be taken down completely i think it's for the best that it turns out like this.

Sep 21, 2017
I've been reading through this whole argument and if I'm not mistaken the EULA in Honey Select 2 says you cant sell a product using its assets its just Illusion isn't very good at enforcing their copyright. So strictly speaking both the regular and H version are both up in the air for a copyright lawsuit legally speaking. My guess would be the dev was just more willing to take his chances with Honey Select alone rather than both them and other property owners like DC, Toei, and Kadokawa. I was interested in making something at some point so while exploring my options this came up as a point of contention.

Sep 21, 2017
I've been reading through this whole argument and if I'm not mistaken the EULA in Honey Select 2 says you cant sell a product using its assets its just Illusion isn't very good at enforcing their copyright. So strictly speaking both the regular and H version are both up in the air for a copyright lawsuit legally speaking. My guess would be the dev was just more willing to take his chances with Honey Select alone rather than both them and other property owners like DC, Toei, and Kadokawa. I was interested in making something at some point so while exploring my options this came up as a point of contention.
Looking into it, it seems that Fakku (the EN distributor of Honey Select) actually made a statement on it since I last looked into the issue. See the discord photos but the President of FAKKU said its not okay to use any assets from Honey Select for any commercial projects so both games are already doing something that could get a cease and desist unless he's spoken with FAKKU and obtained permission already which is information I wouldn't have. There really isnt more of an argument about legality its essentially just whatever project he feels like working on with my current understanding of the issue, could be missing some important details so take it with a grain of salt. If he did already get a license from FAKKU there could be some other legal reason for the switch just dont know that.

Full article where its discussed more below, look it up on google if you dont trust the link should be easy to find.

1649714905375.png

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
"Potential" is enough for me to put me on edge
especialy if you are doing Parody work
you just have to thread carefuly in parody work or you will lose all the years progress because the "Company" said so
try nintendo for the example and i get it why the dev is on edge and put it on hold for now
i don't think it's the dev greed or laziness for the game
but when it's "possible" for the game to be taken down completely i think it's for the best that it turns out like this.
Same, I would have done the same exact thing given the potential of my entire development operation being destroyed by copyright claims. Actually, I would have just done the H version from the start to avoid it entirely. Nintendo is another good example of companies that are even ignoring fair use, they've been making claims despite blatant fair use in projects they claim on for a while now.

Patreon is a grey area, it technically isn't selling the game, it is supporting the developer. People like to claim they are paying for the game, but that is not and never was the case.

Looking into it, it seems that Fakku (the EN distributor of Honey Select) actually made a statement on it since I last looked into the issue. See the discord photos but the President of FAKKU said its not okay to use any assets from Honey Select for any commercial projects so both games are already doing something that could get a cease and desist unless he's spoken with FAKKU and obtained permission already which is information I wouldn't have. There really isnt more of an argument about legality its essentially just whatever project he feels like working on with my current understanding of the issue, could be missing some important details so take it with a grain of salt. If he did already get a license from FAKKU there could be some other legal reason for the switch just dont know that.

Full article where its discussed more below, look it up on google if you dont trust the link should be easy to find.

View attachment 1752307
FAKKU is known for pulling shady crap to get money off of unsuspecting people, they cannot be trusted to be acting in good faith in this case, especially Jacob.

Reactions: Ř@ĐįäÞïőñ
Jul 30, 2018

View attachment 1752307
then what's the point with Studio NEO in the first place right ?
if it's not for personal project or redistribution with reimagined design for another title ?
i know that they wanted to sell the game under their supervision but to ban people from making money out of something they created inside their tools(Studio NEO) that they had paid for is stupid imo.
it's like you bough a (car) and (a set of tools) to make the bodywork or mods out of the (car) and sell it to public
does it considering stealing from the said (car) design ?
even if it's function the same but with different design that the car maker (Original HS Dev) didn't put in the car (HS game/Tools) in the first place, they can't take away something that people create !
if it was the case Artist/Fanart/Parody and such along those line that make a living out of it will cease to exist or goes down in number to freely promote your material for free !
it's so stupid that those law is blured and lee-way around it is absurd but we can't do nothing about it
it's a shame, really.

Reactions: alex2011
Sep 21, 2017
Same, I would have done the same exact thing given the potential of my entire development operation being destroyed by copyright claims. Actually, I would have just done the H version from the start to avoid it entirely. Nintendo is another good example of companies that are even ignoring fair use, they've been making claims despite blatant fair use in projects they claim on for a while now.

Patreon is a grey area, it technically isn't selling the game, it is supporting the developer. People like to claim they are paying for the game, but that is not and never was the case.

FAKKU is known for pulling shady crap to get money off of unsuspecting people, they cannot be trusted to be acting in good faith in this case, especially Jacob.
Im assuming you didnt go through the article and just saw the one discord post, Illusion confirmed in an email that FAKKU does indeed have the enforcement power for Honey Selects copyright, they made it explicitly clear that patreon was not a grey area, if you posted their games content their and were making money without a license it was a violation of their copyright. You can call the president shady all you want but that doesnt change that they do seem to have legitimacy in their claims to dealing with copyright. The dev would need to obtain permission from FAKKU in the form of some license to make a game using their assets, if you post paywalled content like progress updates using screenshots from their game thats still considered making money off patreon using their assets no matter how you word salad it and could potentially be a legal issue down the line. There have been a few cases in the US where porn devs are told their parody isn't fair use if they use the characters from certain franchises without permission, I dont intend to get into an argument over this I'm just pointing out the facts of the case as I see them. Both the H version and Parody version would both be in some hot water unless the dev already talked with FAKKU for the license, I believe Runey got a license from FAKKU to continue the development of Harem Hotel so it should be possible to get one then he could work on the H version without a care. For the parody he needs to make sure its different enough from the actual property to constitute its own thing which I think it would already be at that point but I'm not a copyright lawyer.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Im assuming you didnt go through the article and just saw the one discord post, Illusion confirmed in an email that FAKKU does indeed have the enforcement power for Honey Selects copyright, they made it explicitly clear that patreon was not a grey area, if you posted their games content their and were making money without a license it was a violation of their copyright. You can call the president shady all you want but that doesnt change that they do seem to have legitimacy in their claims to dealing with copyright. The dev would need to obtain permission from FAKKU in the form of some license to make a game using their assets, if you post paywalled content like progress updates using screenshots from their game thats still considered making money off patreon using their assets no matter how you word salad it and could potentially be a legal issue down the line. There have been a few cases in the US where porn devs are told their parody isn't fair use if they use the characters from certain franchises without permission, I dont intend to get into an argument over this I'm just pointing out the facts of the case as I see them. Both the H version and Parody version would both be in some hot water unless the dev already talked with FAKKU for the license, I believe Runey got a license from FAKKU to continue the development of Harem Hotel so it should be possible to get one then he could work on the H version without a care. For the parody he needs to make sure its different enough from the actual property to constitute its own thing which I think it would already be at that point but I'm not a copyright lawyer.
FAKKU doesn't have distribution rights to any game used by Paradice, they have the distribution rights of Honey Select 1 while Illusion went directly to Steam with Koikatsu (used for this version of Public Sex Life) and has yet to release Honey Select 2 (used for Public Sex Life H) at all outside of Japan. Illusion alone has the copyright powers on the games used in this case and they have shown themselves to be unwilling to enforce outside Japan, so Public Sex Life and Public Sex Life H are both safe from Illusion, it's the copyright holders for characters like Raven or Froppy he has to worry about as they have the history proving a will to enforce.

Runey uses Honey Select 1 for Harem Hotel (which is distributed by FAKKU, unlike Koikatsu or Honey Select 2), and yes, he did go through the licensing thing (it was a HUGE topic around the time FAKKU issued their statement in the HH thread), though I never heard if he actually got said licensing sorted.

Reactions: Ř@ĐįäÞïőñ

tpopop

Feb 26, 2020
Can I get a list of all characters in the game? Seems to be a few, but I don't know how many exactly

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
It's more than 7 months
So should we consider it abandoned...
No, abandoned would be neither version getting work done and no contact, no posts at all on any site Paradice is known to visit and update the game on, for at least three months. So far, the closest to abandoned this has gotten is more focus being put on the other version due to it being funded.

4.10 star(s) 44 Votes