4.00 star(s) 107 Votes

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
SuperWriter
I'm not sure how to ask this without sounding like a dick...
The old version was up to 0.8 this version is up to 0.6 with all respect due how long do you think it will take you to reach 0.8 ?
Without working yourself into a early grave...and having fun and relaxing
I'm leecher...so I apologize if I sound...ungratefull...I am not :p just can't wait to play the game :)
I could be wrong on this, but I am thinking that this means that the re-rendering of the new character look was done through 0.6, and that means over 75% of the game. That would leave 25% of the game to re-render, however, some of that may not be necessary if scenes are multipurposed. To explain that, if you are having a conversation with Sasha in one set of clothes in her bedroom, a later conversation in the same room (and same clothes) could re-use assets that have already been rendered. That was one of the huge ways that Palmer kept the number of renders in "Daughter For Dessert" under control, in that many times, Daughter (who usually wore the same outfit) had a "talking" scene, "smiling" scene, and "pensive" scene that could be used over and over. All of that being said, the Superwriter seems pretty confident that the next release will be 0.10 and that there will be new content to come, and I don't think they would be as strong in asserting this if they didn't have a plan to make it happen.

Reactions: BTLD and OneTonSoup

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
Yes, maybe I and some others here have gone too far in the comments. And yes, it is your game, your development. And I also understand your motives for the revision/revamp in some way. But please also understand us, the players. We experience something like when, in a popular television series, all the main actors suddenly are replaced in the middle of the show and you even have to watch all the old episodes with them again, too! I'm sure that even you would sit in front of the TV in disbelief, shaking your head and no longer understand the world. Also: please be prepared for at least the same if not worse comments on Steam, too...

Nevertheless, or maybe because so many people are complaining: This actually shows that we really love the game and are already attached to it. At least I am.
I was strongly considering replacing all of the models just like Paris, but I thought that would be unfair to you guys, so I considered your feelings.

I kept the same bodies. I kept the same hair. I kept the same faces (minus Paris)

All I changed was the skin textures and eyes. And the story is exactly the same

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
I could be wrong on this, but I am thinking that this means that the re-rendering of the new character look was done through 0.6, and that means over 75% of the game. That would leave 25% of the game to re-render, however, some of that may not be necessary if scenes are multipurposed. To explain that, if you are having a conversation with Sasha in one set of clothes in her bedroom, a later conversation in the same room (and same clothes) could re-use assets that have already been rendered. That was one of the huge ways that Palmer kept the number of renders in "Daughter For Dessert" under control, in that many times, Daughter (who usually wore the same outfit) had a "talking" scene, "smiling" scene, and "pensive" scene that could be used over and over. All of that being said, the Superwriter seems pretty confident that the next release will be 0.10 and that there will be new content to come, and I don't think they would be as strong in asserting this if they didn't have a plan to make it happen.
Each revamp update takes about a week to release. I have three more until I catch up.

• Love
Reactions: BTLD and Brovalon
May 26, 2018
Updating the game EVERY month. I have explained the reason for the revamp, so you talking about me upgrading the game every six months and what not clearly shows me that you are not listening.
My apologies, apparently I was not clear. "Thinking about You" is a game that every time the developer gets to a certain point, they start all over, changing things and basically making a crap game. "Aftermath" is a game where each update seems to change triggers and action/progression points where it is not even worth playing.

Yes, I know you UPDATE this game every month (as far as I can see), but when you start changing things, making code changes or regressing where the player has to start all over again, that is the problem. If you are not changing the basic code, triggers, and progression points, then why are saves no longer compatible?

As I said, I will try to be fair and give your re-vamp a tryout. As for Miracle, she was the youngest so she SHOULD look younger than her sisters. NOW she looks older than they do (at least from what I have seen and noted from others on here). For me, that just seems like a screwed up action. I apologize if that offends you or makes you unhappy/disappointed, but I Am at least giving you my opinion. Yes, my opinion is my own, and no one has to agree with me. Not even you. :) It is your game, but I felt you would have at least liked to know how your "re-vamp" affected my tendency to subscribe to or support your game.

I do not know how many times changes like this has been made, and in truth, as far as I can recall, I THINK this is the only one. But I sure would not have changed things after a year of development. Again, simply my opinion.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Yes, maybe I and some others here have gone too far in the comments. And yes, it is your game, your development. And I also understand your motives for the revision/revamp in some way. But please also understand us, the players. We experience something like when, in a popular television series, all the main actors suddenly are replaced in the middle of the show and you even have to watch all the old episodes with them again, too! I'm sure that even you would sit in front of the TV in disbelief, shaking your head and no longer understand the world. Also: please be prepared for at least the same if not worse comments on Steam, too...

Nevertheless, or maybe because so many people are complaining: This actually shows that we really love the game and are already attached to it. At least I am.
I think you missed something in the middle of all the back and forth that is an important point. Superwriter has been actively engaging with the Patrons who are actually funding the development of the game, and they have been involved / engaged in putting their opinions in on what they want changed. Unlike TV which gets ratings based on raw numbers, games like this depend on support, so if the supporters who are actually funding the game want it done, their opinion, quite frankly, is the only opinion that really matters.

May 26, 2018
I was strongly considering replacing all of the models just like Paris, but I thought that would be unfair to you guys, so I considered your feelings.

I kept the same bodies. I kept the same hair. I kept the same faces (minus Paris)

All I changed was the skin textures and eyes. And the story is exactly the same

I am sorry, but you DID change all of the models, at least from what I have seen and have read in the comments here. You even said you felt Miracle looked too young, so you made her look older, you removed Tattoos from (I believe) Sasha, and you changed Paris.

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
My apologies, apparently I was not clear. "Thinking about You" is a game that every time the developer gets to a certain point, they start all over, changing things and basically making a crap game. "Aftermath" is a game where each update seems to change triggers and action/progression points where it is not even worth playing.

Yes, I know you UPDATE this game every month (as far as I can see), but when you start changing things, making code changes or regressing where the player has to start all over again, that is the problem. If you are not changing the basic code, triggers, and progression points, then why are saves no longer compatible?

As I said, I will try to be fair and give your re-vamp a tryout. As for Miracle, she was the youngest so she SHOULD look younger than her sisters. NOW she looks older than they do (at least from what I have seen and noted from others on here). For me, that just seems like a screwed up action. I apologize if that offends you or makes you unhappy/disappointed, but I Am at least giving you my opinion. Yes, my opinion is my own, and no one has to agree with me. Not even you. :) It is your game, but I felt you would have at least liked to know how your "re-vamp" affected my tendency to subscribe to or support your game.

I do not know how many times changes like this has been made, and in truth, as far as I can recall, I THINK this is the only one. But I sure would not have changed things after a year of development. Again, simply my opinion.
Miracle does not look older than the other girls, but even if she does, it's fine. I look younger than my older brother, so looks don't have to be strictly one way.
And it's fine you would have done things differently, but we're different people and do things different ways. I have explained over and over the reason for the revamp, so you will accept it or not but there's nothing I can do.

I hope you enjoy the game.

I think you missed something in the middle of all the back and forth that is an important point. Superwriter has been actively engaging with the Patrons who are actually funding the development of the game, and they have been involved / engaged in putting their opinions in on what they want changed. Unlike TV which gets ratings based on raw numbers, games like this depend on support, so if the supporters who are actually funding the game want it done, their opinion, quite frankly, is the only opinion that really matters.
I even put up several public polls so the people of f95 could vote on all the changes and I posted on here a handful of times to let them know what was going on so I did try my best to involve everyone.

Reactions: seamanq
May 26, 2018
So, are you saying that as a potential supporter/subscriber, my opinion does not matter? Not much of an incentive for me to support or subscribe to a game then, is it?

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
I am sorry, but you DID change all of the models, at least from what I have seen and have read in the comments here. You even said you felt Miracle looked too young, so you made her look older, you removed Tattoos from (I believe) Sasha, and you changed Paris.
The only thing I changed with Miracle was her skin which does make her look slightly older, but like I said. These are the same models with the same bodies. That's why they all look practically the same to older models. You can clearly tell who's who

May 26, 2018
I will end my participation by saying - again - I will give the re-vamp a try. :) Who knows, maybe I WILL like it better. :D In truth, the final opinion from me will be how fast he recovers back to upgrade/update 0.8 or higher after this revamp and decrease in Version number. Either way, I DO wish him luck and am looking forward to being proven wrong in my opinion. And if I AM proven wrong, I will be the first on here to admit it.

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
So, are you saying that as a potential supporter/subscriber, my opinion does not matter? Not much of an incentive for me to support or subscribe to a game then, is it?
Why does it matter what anyone else says? You see that I'm on this site engaging with you and everyone else when I can easily stay on patreon. I'm doing that because I care about everyone's opinions, not just the people financially supporting me.

I think my presence here shows that

JustPeekin

Mar 21, 2020
So you were going to change them all because someone else made them and you wanted to put your stamp on them? It's your game so make it how you want. As you said, people get attached to them.. You had to know many people would not like this change. Anyways just wish I didn't play the older version... I may grow to like the new models but, kinda miss the old ones...

May 26, 2018
Why does it matter what anyone else says? You see that I'm on this site engaging with you and everyone else when I can easily stay on patreon. I'm doing that because I care about everyone's opinions, not just the people financially supporting me.

I think my presence here shows that
Yes it does, and thank you for being courteous and understanding. :) Even with my potentially acerbic and/or rude (?) comments, You have treated me with respect and courtesy. That speaks well of you and makes me more inclined to support once I am able to do so. :)

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
Yes it does, and thank you for being courteous and understanding. :) Even with my potentially acerbic and/or rude (?) comments, You have treated me with respect and courtesy. That speaks well of you and makes me more inclined to support once I am able to do so. :)
No problem. You actually tried to explain your points and I understand you more now and you are willing to give the game a chance, even if you have some skepticism, so I really appreciate that as a game developer who has put very hard work into this.

I hope you enjoy it, but even if you don't thank you for giving it a try. Seriously

Ysbald

Nov 1, 2018
SuperWriter, i can totally understand how it can be to see his hard work being criticized like this (Much like the Freeloading Family thread, everything was going great and then the update of anger)

Obviously, you don't feel a connection with any character model if you don't appreciate the story that goes with it. Your story and the behavior of your characters are appreciated by many

I don't think I saw a negative opinion (or very very minority) concerning the overall graphic improvement concerning the quality of the renderings other than the characters

You say you accept constructive criticism. Only if (for the example) you realize that you don't like Paris hair color anymore. you do not intend to redo all the renderings again? Ok that's easy, you can say in the game that she went to the hairdresser.

Once again I find that Paris is much better this way (but still not my favorite), Miracle is much better this way and Sabrina apart from her first appearance in the game which makes me uncomfortable. , the improvement is noticeable.
As for Sasha I think I found what is disturbing (again, will you agree? Or not?)
Sasha 1.png Sasha 2.png

1- too much eyelash
2- the new skin is very special almost too perfect for a human. it's almost the uncanny valley
3- the eyes of the old version are more beautiful (ok very personal taste, but when you had changed her eye color and someone noticed that she looked better with the old eyes you agreed. )

extract from the last scene, this skin rather gives the impression of a plastered wall
skin.png
wall.png

Akoonx

Jul 6, 2018
The technical improvements are obvious, your growing skill shows.

Not a fan of the new Paris, she was my favorite and had a distinct and unusual face, now she looks totally generic, like a face I've seen in a hundred games. The others are mostly okay even if a little bit inferior except for the little brit cutie, she is definitely better.

That said, you do you, it's your game, if you are not happy with what you are doing it will be difficult to work on it in the future, a lot of abandoned games come from that. Hear the feedback you are given and if possible take it into account, but ultimately do what you want and feel is right.

Cheers.

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Yes, that is an argument. If this is really what most patrons wanted, then okay. After all, they are the ones who pay him now. It just sounded as if it was a wish from the dev witch was maybe confirmed by some involved patrons (they tend not to be too critical in such cases). But again: if they wanted it, of course they should get it.

4.00 star(s) 107 Votes