OhGodNotAgain

Aug 11, 2023
I know this subject has passed already, but I'm going to comment anyway. No, not the tattoos :cool:. I've been away from the site for a while. So...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
What about comic book time travel? Creating alternate timelines instead of actually changing anything.

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
What about comic book time travel? Creating alternate timelines instead of actually changing anything.
Well, that's not restricted to comic books. It's one concept of how changing the past might go. And it's the messiest of all, in my opinion. Consider this:
  • You go back in time to change something
  • A new timeline is created
Now where do you go when you go forward in time again? If you return to your original timeline, you're in one where you never changed anything, so what was the point? If you go forward to the same time in the new timeline, you disappear forever from the original timeline. Your family and friends, they'll never see you again. And in the new timeline it's almost certain there are now two of you.

None of these are easy to resolve in a satisfying way, except possibly the two yous: merge them into one person with the memories of both. But even that...imagine their lives diverged enough that they have conflicting memories of the same events? The alternative is you replace the other you (not cool, man! They were a person and you just erased them.)

What alternate universe stories usually do is ignore all of this as best they can. That also to me makes them the laziest and least satisfying. The most satisfying are stories like Primer, and the two versions of 12 Monkeys (the film is a closed loop, the TV series has a singular timeline that is repeatedly changed in unexpected ways). Or Back To The Future, where you're not supposed to take any of it at all seriously.

On the subject of "is it safe?" No. The original timeline is safe because it cannot be changed. The actions you take in the past never happened there. The new timeline? You'll only know the effects of your actions when you get back to the present. And whatever they are, you can't change them without creating yet another timeline, and you'll leave behind the timeline you messed up.

Last edited:

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
tl;dr: safe time travel is impossible, unless time is fixed.
That question is pretty much one of the center questions of the story right now: CAN the past be changed? And probably at some point also SHOULD the past be changed.

Not to fuel the endless tattoo debate once more, but I think we should wait for future patches with this, because I would expect the Skylar's tats to have a meaning inside of the story. They were a clear signal to the player, that she is or has changed and that something is off about her. If that will be paid off in future updates...we'll see...

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
That question is pretty much one of the center questions of the story right now: CAN the past be changed? And probably at some point also SHOULD the past be changed.

Not to fuel the endless tattoo debate once more, but I think we should wait for future patches with this, because I would expect the Skylar's tats to have a meaning inside of the story. They were a clear signal to the player, that she is or has changed and that something is off about her. If that will be paid off in future updates...we'll see...
I speculated a while ago that the Skylar with tats is not "the real one" but a version from a year or two in the future that traveled back to MC's present.

Plus that the past could not be changed in big ways is from a discussion with an individual that MC does not trust nor like and that clearly has many secrets around him, his goals, his organization, ...
Meaning he could be lying to enlist the help of MC but to discourage him from changing to much.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
While Shelby isn't my favorite or anything I would of said fuck her and wrote her off but after seeing her dad in the last episode idk anymore . I want to wait till more of her story unfolds before I judge her now.
Shelby started off as a villain and mean girl.

Between the photoshoot and Shelby's conversation with her dad while the MC and Sklyar are dining at the same restaurant, I see a Shelby who is evolving as a person.

I don't give her a free pass for what she did earlier in Ripples But I will give her the opportunity to climb out of the pit she dug for herself.

screenshot0001.png

screenshot0002.png

Here, in the restaurant, Shelby blushes when she notices the MC is at the restaurant (why blush if he does not matter to her).

I think she is starting to care about the MC, but she does not know how to get out of the hole she has dug with him and his friends.

It will be interesting to see if Shelby will become an ally to the MC in the future.

I believe that her father is part of the 'evil' faction investigating/trying to take advantage of the time machine/research lab mystery and Shelby has a part to play in the conflict between the two? factions involved.

Cheers!! :coffee:

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
I can't get the first hidden render in episode six, the clickable thingy refuse to appear. The hint from the gallery "winter is comming" isn't really helpfull. And the hint from the WT can't help me neither...

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Shelby started off as a villain and mean girl.

Between the photoshoot and Shelby's conversation with her dad while the MC and Sklyar are dining at the same restaurant, I see a Shelby who is evolving as a person.

I don't give her a free pass for what she did earlier in Ripples But I will give her the opportunity to climb out of the pit she dug for herself.

I believe that her father is part of the 'evil' faction investigating/trying to take advantage of the time machine/research lab mystery and Shelby has a part to play in the conflict between the two? factions involved.
As soon as she was introduced, I had a feeling a redemption arc was planned for her, and, yes, now we get to see that it was nurture, not nature, that likely led her to being a bit of a queen-bee bitch: she's ignored and dismissed at home by her dog of a father, but she's also wealthy so she has the means to buy status and loyalty amongst peers and elevate herself. MC might be helping her learn that she can get the affection and respect she wants and needs in other ways. She still isn't my "best girl", but I want her to have a good ending.

As for her sperm donor being part of the evil faction, I think earlier conversations (maybe Riley, but also with Krystal) basically confirms that - it's even acknowledged by MC in that scene, if I recall correctly.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
I can't get the first hidden render in episode six, the clickable thingy refuse to appear. The hint from the gallery "winter is comming" isn't really helpfull. And the hint from the WT can't help me neither...
Are you using the walkthrough mod? I couldn't get the first two, but the others appeared just fine. I think there's a glitch that involves the walthrough mod, as something similar happened in Ep5 with the hidden image during the lingerie shoot - the pineapple appeared, but you couldn't trigger it no matter how many times you clicked on it. That was fixed in this episode, as I was able to go back and get it and have it appear in the gallery. Might need for LightmanP to do a review of his mod to see if it is indeed creating the issue, as SteveyP has confirmed they all work in the unmodded version of the VN.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
No there is not AFAIK.

Since it is unconfirmed whether MC actually is the Father of Krystal, Skylar, Darcy, Shelby, ... , or not.
It is "relatively clear" that Jessica is only his sister, though.
At least it is so far.

Maybe Jessica is his daughter as well and he traveled a year further than we have experienced now ...

Would explain his mothers strange behavior at times, why he could not find his dad in 1999 and why the job interview at the powerplant was so important to the masked dude.

It's a circle I think, a flat one
Very likely. Yes.

MC in the middle and straight lines to all girls "of appropriate age"

Gass478

Jan 20, 2024
Hello,

I've just discovered this forum, so I'm new here. Firstly, congratulations on the game; the story is excellently crafted, and the graphics are beyond words. I truly admire those who can seamlessly blend technique and art.

I have two questions, and I'm not sure if it's normal or if there's an issue. First, I don't have any sound in the game. I've checked all the audio settings, but since there are volume options, I'm wondering if this might be normal. Second, regarding the animations, they seem to loop with a maximum duration of 1 to 2 seconds. Is this a normal feature of the game?

Also, I want to mention that I've tried modifying all the options to resolve these problems, but it hasn't worked. Is there a configuration file where I could change values to fix these issues

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Xythurr

Oct 29, 2017
It's usually either the delivery, or the lack of any context or reasoning, that identifies someone as a troll. They also have a tendency to use what are likely secondary accounts - a few years old, very few comments relative to the age of the account (e.g., the account was created in 2018 but there are only a 100 or so comments, maybe less) and a history (you can easily check this) of making incendiary remarks elsewhere. I've often seen comments or reviews that reek of either an alternate account for a Dev, or a Dev acolyte.

Real trolls are easy to identify, and then ignore, if you just pay a little bit of attention.
Lol I'm one of those old accounts with relatively few posts. In my case it's because I came here and downloaded things without engaging with the community for years until very recently.
I was an active member of ye olde hongfire days though.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Lol I'm one of those old accounts with relatively few posts. In my case it's because I came here and downloaded things without engaging with the community for years until very recently.
I was an active member of ye olde hongfire days though.
Yeah, but you aren't a troll. (Usually. ;):ROFLMAO:)

• Haha
Reactions: Xythurr
4.80 star(s) 293 Votes