Ren'Py Completed Room for Rent [v16 beta] [CeLaVie Group]

2.90 star(s) 104 Votes
Aug 17, 2019
Just finished trying this out. This game is actually pretty good for a sandbox game with an overarching narrative. The problem is as the game goes on it becomes boarderline impossible to complete without some kind of walkthrough, and after the content for the V.12 patch it starts getting really bad sequence breaking problems. Case in point, I ended up saving a bunch of the girls from having been kidnapped before they'd even left the house, and I'm being told to arrange a meeting with the cop on the boat when she's already next to my pool. When I'd completed the most recent patch, I'd only unlocked 20/52 new scenes.

Reactions: Alfius

BoobiesSugoi

Pixel Connaisseur
Donor
Mar 18, 2020
Yeah, this is coming dangerously close to needing the Abandoned tag. Their Patreon is all about their new game and nothing about this unfinished one.
Story wise came "Room for Rent" to an climax and can be considered complete -at least for the Moment...
"My Best Friend Daughter" as pointed out already, is intended as the successor.

The Dev`s. pointed out, that if the patrons are not happy (how MbFD will turn out) they will consider to return/continue the "Room for Rent" story.

So i`m not sure if it`s fair to say they "abandon" it.

As far as i can see, MbFD was made with the thought to evolve the game, to bring new Features like a "Help Gallery" to the game-
To implant the Feedback from the Fan`s and the Critics equally.

I was very skeptic first, but MbFD managed to surprised me on so many levels positive, they really stepped up their game.

So if you liked RfR, maybe you should give MbFD a try.

Last edited:

Trevords726

Jan 17, 2018
i seem to be stuck. I don't remember what version i have got to V7 to 8 possibly I have completed 7 of 40 events in this section. The last things that actually happened was girls bored at school, so MC set up next step as a party, he offered for them to have the party at his house at the weekend but nothing happened at the weekend and nothing new coming up during the next week either. What do i need to do or go to, to get the weekend party to kick off?

Got there eventually - had to go through a whole extra week with no new actions to get to a second weekend and now the event it starting

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerie

Masterjaxx

Nov 30, 2017
In section 7 or 8 when the cop comes to your door to talk about Lulu Longsuck and you are given the option of talking about it or not talking about it, what is the functional difference in the short and long term?

I chose to tell the girls about it and am now in the tenth ark and more than 40 days later and am not sure if i missed content or not.

Reactions: D7oom17

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
OK so let me just start of by saying I enjoyed this game a LOT, despite the ratings and warning.

IMO NightTrain 's mod is must for playing the game. I can definitely see the frustration of 10+ options each time and none of them seemingly progressing the story. I actually enjoyed it when it was only the 3 girls a bit more, but the story twist after all the other girls joined was riveting. I have worked with NightTrain before and his work is awesome!

Some suggestions (Constructive criticisms) to Celaviegroup (I'm sure you have heard a ton of them before)
1) Continuity: When the girls starts disappearing you sometimes still find a girl that disappeared at your house. The most obvious one I can think of now is Nellie, that you still find at the swimming pool or on the couch in the morning after they are away from the house.
2) Sleeping arrangements: Sometimes, the house seems to be running out of room where you wonder where are everyone sleeping. The biggest example for me would be where are Anna sleeping when Julia and Josie are recovering.
3) Also the girls abductions are not always correlating with the text, For instance Rachel being abducted, but then not found in the sex dungeon. (This could be plot points that I maybe missed)

Non of this I found game breaking, but for me immersion is everything, so it does detract ever so slightly.

I think the biggest negative in the ratings, would be the a the not knowing what to do next. People complain about grind, but some of the most popular games on here are sandbox type games like BB (and currently CureMyAddiction). The problem comes with not enough guidance on what to do next. People like me, like to figure out problems, but people never want to feel stuck. So a good hint system is essential.

I can honestly not talk too much about this, as I have used the mod from the start, but I have played other games where I got stuck and did not know what to do next. This game have a lot of places/options, so if you do not know what to focus on next, it will be very dauting to try and figure out what to click when. For the record, I did like your initial hint system on the PC.

PS. Another small complaint would also be the amount of interactions between the different girls. For instance I loved Joye, but I don't think you ever get to have sex with her, apart from interaction when sleeping with Liza in the morning. On the other hand, you get tons of interactions with Lindsay and Emily at the end. This one is obviously just a personal preference of mine. I can kinda understand Emily, as she becomes a "Main Character", but I do not get the big amount of Lindsey Screen time compared to the other girls. (You will not hear that I'm not complaining about Amy....well Amy is the main girl, so she can never get enough time!!!)

In anycase, maybe this feels like a backhanded compliment, but I really enjoyed the game and looking forward to continue with MBFD!

Last edited:

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
OK so let me just start of by saying I enjoyed this game a LOT, despite the ratings and warning.

IMO NightTrain 's mod is must for playing the game. I can definitely see the frustration of 10+ options each time and none of them seemingly progressing the story. I actually enjoyed it when it was only the 3 girls a bit more, but the story twist after all the other girls joined was riveting. I have worked with NightTrain before and his work is awesome!

Some suggestions (Constructive criticisms) to Celaviegroup (I'm sure you have heard a ton of them before)
1) Continuity: When the girls starts disappearing you sometimes still find a girl that disappeared at your house. The most obvious one I can think of now is Nellie, that you still find at the swimming pool or on the couch in the morning after they are away from the house.
2) Sleeping arrangements: Sometimes, the house seems to be running out of room where you wonder where are everyone sleeping. The biggest example for me would be where are Anna sleeping when Julia and Josie are recovering.
3) Also the girls abductions are not always correlating with the text, For instance Rachel being abducted, but then not found in the sex dungeon. (This could be plot points that I maybe missed)

Non of this I found game breaking, but for me immersion is everything, so it does detract ever so slightly.

I think the biggest negative in the ratings, would be the a the not knowing what to do next. People complain about grind, but some of the most popular games on here are sandbox type games like BB (and currently CureMyAddiction). The problem comes with not enough guidance on what to do next. People like me, like to figure out problems, but people never want to feel stuck. So a good hint system is essential.

I can honestly not talk too much about this, as I have used the mod from the start, but I have played other games where I got stuck and did not know what to do next. This game have a lot of places/options, so if you do not know what to focus on next, it will be very dauting to try and figure out what to click when. For the record, I did like your initial hint system on the PC.

PS. Another small complaint would also be the amount of interactions between the different girls. For instance I loved Joye, but I don't think you ever get to have sex with her, apart from interaction when sleeping with Liza in the morning. On the other hand, you get tons of interactions with Lindsay and Emily at the end. This one is obviously just a personal preference of mine. I can kinda understand Emily, as she becomes a "Main Character", but I do not get the big amount of Lindsey Screen time compared to the other girls. (You will not that I'm not complaining about Amy....well Amy is the main girl, so she can never get enough time!!!)

In anycase, maybe this feels like a backhanded compliment, but I really enjoyed the game and looking forward to continue with MBFD!
Thank you very much for very constructive criticism - that's useful and appreciate it.
When someone starts to complain about who's sleeping where and where is the girl at a certain point - it can't be so bad :). Please keep in mind that this is a game and not something from real life :). I'm sure - if you start to search for inconsequence parts you'll be busy for many months. There are lot of bugs, glitches etc - but as I always say - when the party goes on - no one will see it :). My priority in my games is to make it close to 95 % bug free - not 100 % as the last 5 % will take significant longer time than the first 95 %. My priority has been many images and events and new release every months. As someone said "I found 5 wrong images in the game - meaning that 11945 images were ok - I can live with that".
Grind - yes indeed. When I started to make the game - I was very afraid that it was too easy and makes it boring. I couldn't be more wrong. In the beginning I had no alpha testers so the game was a big mess for sure. Slowly I tried to make it easier - but still not enough. Especially the free users had problems and people started to make mods. The last versions is significant easier and with the new gallery hint system in MBFD - WT, mod or anything else is not needed any longer.
I'm still learning but don't expect that I'll be able to satisfy all players.

Reactions: Alegor and Alfius

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Thank you very much for very constructive criticism - that's useful and appreciate it.
When someone starts to complain about who's sleeping where and where is the girl at a certain point - it can't be so bad :). Please keep in mind that this is a game and not something from real life :). I'm sure - if you start to search for inconsequence parts you'll be busy for many months. There are lot of bugs, glitches etc - but as I always say - when the party goes on - no one will see it :). My priority in my games is to make it close to 95 % bug free - not 100 % as the last 5 % will take significant longer time than the first 95 %. My priority has been many images and events and new release every months. As someone said "I found 5 wrong images in the game - meaning that 11945 images were ok - I can live with that".
Grind - yes indeed. When I started to make the game - I was very afraid that it was too easy and makes it boring. I couldn't be more wrong. In the beginning I had no alpha testers so the game was a big mess for sure. Slowly I tried to make it easier - but still not enough. Especially the free users had problems and people started to make mods. The last versions is significant easier and with the new gallery hint system in MBFD - WT, mod or anything else is not needed any longer.
I'm still learning but don't expect that I'll be able to satisfy all players.
Sorry if this has been answered before, I just picked up this game for the first time last week.

Is Room for Rent Basically complete with My Best Friend's daughter basically being the sequel?

The story looks like it's kind of at a completed state. And the game description of the next one looks like the continuation of the story on the MC's yacht/Island?

Just curious.

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
Sorry if this has been answered before, I just picked up this game for the first time last week.

Is Room for Rent Basically complete with My Best Friend's daughter basically being the sequel?

The story looks like it's kind of at a completed state. And the game description of the next one looks like the continuation of the story on the MC's yacht/Island?

Just curious.
Good question - the answer is yes/no
For now RfR is on hold - reason when they are at the yacht - MC's phone is calling - it is his best friend and they talk about the good old days. That leads to the jump to MBFD. At the end of MBFD it will jump back again and RfR will continue.

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
I constantly end up on a bad end, is that normal and normal. Everyone dies except one. If that's the normal end and it's a pain in the ass, then we all get pissed off and we all grow up with it just to see them die.

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
I constantly end up on a bad end, is that normal and normal. Everyone dies except one. If that's the normal end and it's a pain in the ass, then we all get pissed off and we all grow up with it just to see them die.
?? are you sure you're talking about RfR?

Masterjaxx

Nov 30, 2017
In section 7 or 8 when the cop comes to your door to talk about Lulu Longsuck and you are given the option of talking about it or not talking about it, what is the functional difference in the short and long term?

I chose to tell the girls about it and am now in the tenth ark and more than 40 days later and am not sure if i missed content or not.
So ive now asked this question twice and its been ignored twice. I don't just mean not answered, its been completely ignored.

Is there a reason that no one is willing to answer this question?

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
So ive now asked this question twice and its been ignored twice. I don't just mean not answered, its been completely ignored.

Is there a reason that no one is willing to answer this question?
Maybe nobody else decided to not tell the girls the truth and warn them about possible dangers, so nobody knows the consequences?
I cannot help, sorry, because I decided to warn them.

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018

You didn't missed anything - you'll have the option to tell them at dinner until you do it.

Masterjaxx

Nov 30, 2017
You didn't missed anything - you'll have the option to tell them at dinner until you do it.
Then why would that even be included?

I thought there might have been some kind of side plot where the girls get involved with these criminals because they don't know to avoid them if you decide not to tell them.

But all that really happened was some weird scenes that almost seemed like programming glitches where some old lady came to the door to complain about Lulu and another scene where Lulu Longsucks gang were hangoung out around the pool for a couple frames before vanishing never to be heard from again. Or at least not so far as ark 10.

Celaviegroup

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2018
Then why would that even be included?

I thought there might have been some kind of side plot where the girls get involved with these criminals because they don't know to avoid them if you decide not to tell them.

But all that really happened was some weird scenes that almost seemed like programming glitches where some old lady came to the door to complain about Lulu and another scene where Lulu Longsucks gang were hangoung out around the pool for a couple frames before vanishing never to be heard from again. Or at least not so far as ark 10.
Wait and see - nothing in this game is as it seems to be. You'll realize that later on. Wish you happy playing

2.90 star(s) 104 Votes