NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
one suggestion tho, if its supposed to be scifi game, whats the deal with the fantasy elements and demons? I feel like that is unnecessary distraction from the main story. If the game is about banging alien chicks, you could just make aliens that remind of succubus or something.
Hell wouldn't suddenly cease existing just because we built a slightly better rocket (now if we built a really big, dimension-hopping rocket on the other hand.... but I digress). Besides, demons have been in major scifi works for a long time, just look at 40k and Doom.

Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
one suggestion tho, if its supposed to be scifi game, whats the deal with the fantasy elements and demons? I feel like that is unnecessary distraction from the main story. If the game is about banging alien chicks, you could just make aliens that remind of succubus or something.

Anyway keep up the good work, love the game.
Then you would be surprised if in some moment you discover something like DOOM or my all time favorite, Warhammer 40K.
Edit: add to the list, event horizon or if you take what we through were demons but in reality are just species who looks like what our take of demons, we can have Childhood's End and a long list.

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
I think this game is one of the hidden gems on this site. I would place it on my top 5 list with Being a dik and summertime saga.

All the starship trooper vibe and music is also very welcome. I really liked all the kinks being listed on the menu, simple thing but good idea.

Anyway keep up the good work, love the game.
Many thanks, dond1! :love: Really appreciated (and glad to see another Trooper fan :p)

On the Daemon storyline: NoStepOnSnek and Dysphorika got it bang on right there - the Daemon storyline isn't as separate from the sci-fi as you might think! It works out differently depending on how you play it, but it's an important part of several main story-threads (mainly psi and faith, but with an effect on others)… unfortunately I won;t be able to say much more without some major spoilers! :censored:

SuddenReal

Jun 21, 2017
unfortunately I won;t be able to say much more without some major spoilers! :censored:
Meaning: "I once bought the assests and thought, why not use them? I'll figure something out later."

Just kidding. I hate the fact that people think sci-fi and fantasy are mutually exclusive. Both are a big sandbox, so why not use them both? One of my all time favourite graphic novel series is Thorgall, the tale of a man, raised in a viking village, who finds out in the first two issues that thousands of years before, the Antlanteans left Earth to find a new planet to live on, and send back an exploration mission to bring back resources and that he's the son of two crewmembers and one of the few survivors after their spaceship was destroyed. So, just when you think "oh, it's sci-fi", next issue, he's facing off witches and wizards. In one of the later issues, he even sneaks into Asgard and ranks the top five of "things I want destroyed" of the mythical serpent Nydhogg. And why not? If it works, go with it.

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Meaning: "I once bought the assests and thought, why not use them? I'll figure something out later."

Just kidding. I hate the fact that people think sci-fi and fantasy are mutually exclusive. Both are a big sandbox, so why not use them both? One of my all time favourite graphic novel series is Thorgall, the tale of a man, raised in a viking village, who finds out in the first two issues that thousands of years before, the Antlanteans left Earth to find a new planet to live on, and send back an exploration mission to bring back resources and that he's the son of two crewmembers and one of the few survivors after their spaceship was destroyed. So, just when you think "oh, it's sci-fi", next issue, he's facing off witches and wizards. In one of the later issues, he even sneaks into Asgard and ranks the top five of "things I want destroyed" of the mythical serpent Nydhogg. And why not? If it works, go with it.
Absolutely! I enjoy a mix of genres - in this instance mainly sci-fi space opera, western and mythology... I'm not big on boundaries! However, I think one of the reasons sci-fi, fantasy and mythology are so often classed together (basically as geek culture :geek:) is that they deal with very similar concepts and challenges - e.g. the requirement to construct a world with an internal logic and depth of history; examining the interplay of different sentient species; large-scale narratives and consequences. The same questions recur in all of them - what does it mean to be human in a world where we aren't the only sentients? Can different races with different ethical systems and biological needs live side by side or are they doomed to eternal Darwinian conflict? So do the same racial tropes: the barbarous Orc-Klingon-Demon, the ethereal Elf-Vulcan-Guardian Angel, etc.

There are serious questions as the start of any project, tho - materialism or supernaturalism is a huge one, violation of which can seriously undermine the internal logic of the fictional universe. I think this is where the criticism of the Daemon come from - but I'd ask that judgement on that be withheld until their story-arc is further along ;)

NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
At a macro level, it's really just the basic flavour and whether you default to science or magic when explaining certain capabilities without even necessarily excluding either of them as long as the world makes sense internally.

dond1

Jul 29, 2019
I know there is ton of scifi/fantasy stuff that has both elements. I'm just wondering if the demon stuff is necessary as the scifi story is already interesting enough.

I don't know how long the final game will be, but I hope it will be cut to smaller chapters instead of huge 12h campaign.

edit. also what i would like to see is some kind of cabin for player, where he can have a bit of freeroam time between the story segments and relax.

edit2. Also what bothered me a bit was the damn brickwall staircase, i know its minor thing to complain about it as some assets do not fit the scifi theme, but that thing stood out pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanliLabz

sulimo04

Nov 14, 2019
I know there is ton of scifi/fantasy stuff that has both elements. I'm just wondering if the demon stuff is necessary as the scifi story is already interesting enough.

I don't know how long the final game will be, but I hope it will be cut to smaller chapters instead of huge 12h campaign.
actually huge 12h campaign is not bad

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
actually huge 12h campaign is not bad
Hehe - well, there sure is going to be a lot of gameplay at the end - but dond1 can rest assured - we're very close the end of this Phase 1 'prologue', and it will be possible to skip to the Phase 2 'stat-builder' (although with a big fat form of choices to fill out if you do! :ROFLMAO: )

edit. also what i would like to see is some kind of cabin for player, where he can have a bit of freeroam time between the story segments and relax.

edit2. Also what bothered me a bit was the damn brickwall staircase, i know its minor thing to complain about it as some assets do not fit the scifi theme, but that thing stood out pretty well.
Lol - the staircase is a bit of a joke... but there's actually no reason concrete wouldn't be used on board a spacecraft for secondary structural features (and this is a recruitment centre ship, so pretty low priority). The Union is running out of resources as is loses the War, after all!

You'll be getting a fair bit of free roam, though - and the next story update will introduce you to your brand new bunk! :p In Phase 2 you'll have a fair bit of free-roam generally - but the content for that will have to be built up over time.

NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
Lol - the staircase is a bit of a joke... but there's actually no reason concrete wouldn't be used on board a spacecraft for secondary structural features (and this is a recruitment centre ship, so pretty low priority). The Union is running out of resources as is loses the War, after all!
86f.gif

• Haha

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Since when is a 12h campaign considered long? :oops:
I always prefered games that took 100 hours or more to complete.

I guess kids nowdays really do have a much shorter attention span. :p
Young whippersnappers these days! :ROFLMAO: I'm a big strategy game fan - so I'm quite happy to play 1000 hours conquering the world in EUIV and suchlike… or a 100 hours fucking shit up in openworld games like GTA. (Near-autistic levels of patience are a must for a game dev :p). As long as things are kept new and exciting within a game - i.e. no grind - I'm happy :D

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
Young whippersnappers these days! :ROFLMAO: I'm a big strategy game fan - so I'm quite happy to play 1000 hours conquering the world in EUIV and suchlike… or a 100 hours fucking shit up in openworld games like GTA. (Near-autistic levels of patience are a must for a game dev :p). As long as things are kept new and exciting within a game - i.e. no grind - I'm happy :D
Total war series and old style rpgs like Baldur's gate, Elder scroll series and first two Fallouts for me, though the GTA series certainly has a lot to offer as well. ;) And then there's of course the Aurora.

But yeah, I never understood the appeal of hurrying through the games without exploring everything they have to offer. :)

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
I can agree, until you get to games like disgaea and the grind is max leveling through every item... It just becomes stupid to grind.
I haven't played disgaea - after wasting many, many months on World of Warcraft when I was a kid, I vowed never to grind again!
Total war series and old style rpgs like Baldur's gate, Elder scroll series and first two Fallouts for me, though the GTA series certainly has a lot to offer as well. ;) And then there's of course the Aurora.

But yeah, I never understood the appeal of hurrying through the games without exploring everything they have to offer. :)
Fallouts are great - a truly inventive, well crafted series; and Elder Scrolls are generally worth the time. I like a lot of GTA (my favourite is San Andreas) - but Rockstar's crowing achievement was Red Dead Redemption - it's fucking amazing!

Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
Since when is a 12h campaign considered long? :oops:
I always prefered games that took 100 hours or more to complete.

I guess kids nowdays really do have a much shorter attention span. :p

I haven't played disgaea - after wasting many, many months on World of Warcraft when I was a kid, I vowed never to grind again!

Fallouts are great - a truly inventive, well crafted series; and Elder Scrolls are generally worth the time. I like a lot of GTA (my favourite is San Andreas) - but Rockstar's crowing achievement was Red Dead Redemption - it's fucking amazing!
me too.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
The disgaea grind is stupid. Each item has an "item world" which is a tower of 99 levels. This is the same for weapons, armor, etc. That is all side grind stuff. So hundreds of items with about 100 stages to go through in a strategy game, you can imagine the bloat.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
How his shorts came off is definitely a chin stroker.

3 teams on the field, that's a yellow card.

6 chin strokes, 1 sad face, all the rest good. I don't know math but that's more than 2 thumbs up, Siskel and Ebert would be proud.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
*Goes back to check the OP and realizes he never gave it a like. Facepalms and rectifies the mistake immediately.*
Oops, sorry about that. :oops:

• Haha
4.10 star(s) 168 Votes