4.20 star(s) 143 Votes

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
I'm not being confrontational, but if that's your intent then do it proper once. Once you've settled on the "remake" then push it live. As it stands currently with constantly changing all previous playthroughs is that you are mandating folks replay the entire VN every single update until one day you are satisfied that the rework is complete.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If you're going to do it, then to it proper once and move on. Reworking code over and over is a debatable strategy... again, all of this being mho working with many, many VN's and dev teams.

Something to think about. Again, intended as constructive criticism and not hostility. So, there's nothing to read between the lines.

Regards. Time for me to get busy with the rework as well... again.
You might want to wait for a couple of weeks: he posted before the release that he was going to add/correct a few things for the final 0.6.3 version that should be ready in 2 weeks or so.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
You might want to wait for a couple of weeks: he posted before the release that he was going to add/correct a few things for the final 0.6.3 version that should be ready in 2 weeks or so.
Well, it'll take me a while to prep for what's already been done so I might as well try to keep up. If I lag too far behind then updates are excruciatingly slow.

The Naughty Captain
While speaking of add/correct, you should check all the conditionals in day3, day5, etc. for the use of ep3handshaked since that's no longer a variable that can become True with v0.6.3. You may need to change all the conditionals for every choice/scene conditional it's still being used in all the scripts.

There may be more but I'm just now starting the outline of porting over the mod's Core.

Edit: same with ep3sfangrylove - it's been removed from choices but is still used in many conditionals in Day4 and Day5.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawk784563

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
It's not okay if you change it every long update. You should move on on the story progress!
You should debate this with him via patreon private messages. I don't think any dev gives a flying duck about the demanding in a piracy board. Even if they're here to discuss things. But that topic isn't one of the things. Please don't take this as offense because I doesn't meant to be offensive.

I'm with you. I prefer story progress over reworks and changings too and I hate it when a dev makes reworks, because in my opinion it does mean the delivered work wasn't ready. But we all know that the AVN we play are works in progress. At the ass the duck gets fat. How a dev reach the own goal is their thing and sometimes there're changings which should be made. If we don't like it how a dev works we don't pay for it on patreon. If we can live with that way we pay. Simple as that.

Reactions: Renonymous

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
But Captain woulndt be better if the focus of the next updates were only focused on future scenes ? I know the past scenes are not going to be the main focus, but the updates already have a very long release Window. Why dont vou rewrite or rework something from the past only when it comes to the final version?
The best time to rework a game is when it's in actual development. And that's now.
That being said, the update I just released is about 99 % new content.

I'm not being confrontational, but if that's your intent then do it proper once. Once you've settled on the "remake" then push it live. As it stands currently with constantly changing all previous playthroughs is that you are mandating folks replay the entire VN every single update until one day you are satisfied that the rework is complete.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If you're going to do it, then to it proper once and move on. Reworking code over and over is a debatable strategy... again, all of this being mho working with many, many VN's and dev teams.

Something to think about. Again, intended as constructive criticism and not hostility. So, there's nothing to read between the lines.

Regards. Time for me to get busy with the rework as well... again.
I'm not either.

So far I reworked day one, and haven't touched it since then. Will I ever touch it again? I don't know. For me, it has reached its final form, but if I find a flaw, a bug or anything that needs correction, I will correct it.
I'm not constantly reworking the same thing over and over.

Also, as I mentioned above, this update is about new content. I didn't rework anything. I removed some options to eliminate some useless variant paths, which should allow me to progress faster. That is all.

Also: V0.6.3 is fully compatible with your v0.6.2R saves.
I didn't encounter any issues loading my saves and my beta tester didn't have any problems either. So no. The player doesn't have to start over.

The Naughty Captain
While speaking of add/correct, you should check all the conditionals in day3, day5, etc. for the use of ep3handshaked since that's no longer a variable that can become True with v0.6.3. You may need to change all the conditionals for every choice/scene conditional it's still being used in all the scripts.

There may be more but I'm just now starting the outline of porting over the mod's Core.

Edit: same with ep3sfangrylove - it's been removed from choices but is still used in many conditionals in Day4 and Day5.
I'm aware. I will most likely clean up the code in v0.6.4.

It's not okay if you change it every long update. You should move on on the story progress!
Well, according to the changelog, this update is 99% about new content.

Changelog v0.6.3

• New content. 7 scenes (Scenes 19 to 25), 29 417 words, 10 000 lines of code, 959 images for 1015 total renders.
  • Added a text message interface to display text interactions. Only for Day 6 part 3 content for now.
  • The inkling module has been removed. It is replaced by the lifeline, which will allow for a more precise display of the whole trigger chain.
  • Stealing the panties during day 2 will now lock you into either the Moronic Hero, Psychotic Knight or Evil Asshole paths.
  • Jack cannot be friendly with Luke anymore during the coffee shop event on day 3.
  • Being a cad during the night pool event on day 3, is now only available on the Moronic Hero, Psychotic Knight and Evil Asshole paths.
  • The option to lie to Cassie again, about Jack's experience, has been removed.
  • As a consequence, Dom Cassie is very pleased and won't crush Jack's balls anymore during her night event on day 3.
  • The final option to reject Eve on her love path on day 3 has been removed.
  • The option to fail your love story with Cassie on day 5 night has been removed.
  • The option allowing you to exit the Dual Dom path on Day 6 has been removed.
  • A few continuity errors have been rectified.
  • Several typo and punctuation errors have been corrected.

There are 30 k words of new content and I didn't rework any scenes in this update, I just removed some options.

I'm with you. I prefer story progress over reworks and changings too and I hate it when a dev makes reworks, because in my opinion it does mean the delivered work wasn't ready. But we all know that the AVN we play are works in progress. At the ass the duck gets fat. How a dev reach the own goal is their thing and sometimes there're changings which should be made. If we don't like it how a dev works we don't pay for it on patreon. If we can live with that way we pay. Simple as that.
You are 100% right.
That's the truth. I wasn't ready when I started working and publishing Summer Scent. And the early episodes are crap, in both renders and writing. I want to bring them up to the level of Day 6.
Yes, that is a lot of work.

I was his patron for a few years, but not anymore since he started revising the game and the updates took a ridiculously long time. It's okay to revise the game in one update, but not in every update like he does. This sucks because you have to start the game over every time.
Well, sorry if I disappointed you.
As I said, I didn't rework anything in this update, but I will in the next one. V0.6.4 should also contain new content.
Also, your saves should load just fine, and you don't have to start over.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
That is exactly what I'm doing.
There will be more changes in next updates. I thought it was clear that I would regularly rework entire scenes.
As it stands currently with constantly changing all previous playthroughs is that you are mandating folks replay the entire VN every single update until one day you are satisfied that the rework is complete.
Some people like doing a new replay every time a VN is updated; most don't as we have other VNs we enjoy and would rather spend a few hours on an update rather than a week on a replay every time one comes out.

Fixing technical stuff to keep the VN from breaking down over and over is great and necessary, but re-envisioning the past with each new release is exhausting and turns people off.

This one has been on my list, but I'll now push it and maybe wait for the finale in a few years, once the vision is finalized and coherent.

Reactions: The Naughty Captain

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Also: V0.6.3 is fully compatible with your v0.6.2R saves.
I didn't encounter any issues loading my saves and my beta tester didn't have any problems either. So no. The player doesn't have to start over.
You're forgetting you introduced new variables in Day3 and Day5.
Python:
ep3cantbesure
ep5tellyoueverything
ep5nochoice
If the Player does not start over then those will never be set, whether they are only to be used in "Lifeline" or not. It's the little things like that, is why I mention folks generally having to start over, not due to save issues (which would be a whole other issue, so please don't attempt to update the fundamental RenPy version the VN is built on... oh the headaches there).

If you don't wish the Player to revisit those old Days then make a new conditional in Day6Part2 that tests against an already known variable and set them for the Player when that Day6P2 start label is initiated.... then it's automatically sorted. In other words there are options for all these types of things but none have been implemented yet.

Reactions: hawk784563

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
You're forgetting you introduced new variables in Day3 and Day5.
Python:
ep3cantbesure
ep5tellyoueverything
ep5nochoice
If the Player does not start over then those will never be set, whether they are only to be used in "Lifeline" or not. It's the little things like that, is why I mention folks generally having to start over, not due to save issues (which would be a whole other issue, so please don't attempt to update the fundamental RenPy version the VN is built on... oh the headaches there).
Those variables are only used in the lifeline. They won't fail a save, as they are defaulted, and they do not impact the story.
So no. There is no reason to start over.
Maybe I'll break the game entirely in the future, I'm sure trying not to, but I can tell you it will never happen. But with this update, your saves are fine and you don't have to start over.

I also added plenty of variables from Day 2 to 6, dedicated to the lifeline. Again, they should not be an issue as they are defaulted and are not impacting the story.
Worst of the worst, the data displayed by the lifeline will be incorrect.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Those variables are only used in the lifeline. They won't fail a save, as they are defaulted, and they do not impact the story.
So no. There is no reason to start over.
Maybe I'll break the game entirely in the future, I'm sure trying not to, but I can tell you it will never happen. But with this update, your saves are fine and you don't have to start over.

I also added plenty of variables from Day 2 to 6, dedicated to the lifeline. Again, they should not be an issue as they are defaulted and are not impacting the story.
Worst of the worst, the data displayed by the lifeline will be incorrect.
Let's be honest: the true reason why some people are unhappy is that you took a whole year from 0.6.2 (the update where you told us what happens in day 6 in the afternoon) to 0.6.3 (evening of day 6).
I'm positively sure that if you released (much) faster updates no one would be unhappy with the fact that you are reworking the early days.

Have you considered the chance of releasing shorter updates with less scenes?

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
Some people like doing a new replay every time a VN is updated; most don't as we have other VNs we enjoy and would rather spend a few hours on an update rather than a week on a replay every time one comes out.

Fixing technical stuff to keep the VN from breaking down over and over is great and necessary, but re-envisioning the past with each new release is exhausting and turns people off.

This one has been on my list, but I'll now push it and maybe wait for the finale in a few years, once the vision is finalized and coherent.
This has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. It is worth getting into. There are changes being made, as the previous comments demonstrate. However, many of those changes are in the background. You won't be disappointed playing with the current version.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Something wicked this way comes....

SanchoMod proudly presents (includes new Core v7):
Summer Scent (v0.6.2R Update)
View attachment 2401117
Go get you some.
( Simply click on the banner image above )
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Please enjoy. Mod core is updated to the latest v7a with even more features. I hope you find at least one feature beneficial to your experience. Remember absolutely everything can be toggled on/off as desired and on the fly. Complete information and exhaustive previews can be found on the mod's thread (simply click the banner above). Regards and be well.

- Sancho
SanchoMod update (v0.6.3 Early Release)
Summer Scent - Multimod Edition
SS_SM_Cover.png
Go get you some.
( Simply click on the banner image above )
1688357454090.png 1688357530120.png

For those The Naughty Captain supporters that have access to v0.6.3, I spent the last 15hrs straight updating SanchoMod for that early release (although I'm about done and up to my eyebrows with beacons, inklings, lighthouses, lifelines, tugboats, etc. tbh). I appreciate the nods to StoneFox though, and hopefully one day soon the Captain and I can get on the same page as I am with Stoya.

A separate link for this version can be found in the mod's OP (just click on the banner in this post).

Thanks to @(you know who) for access and allowing me to prep for v0.6.3 Public Final. I provide this early release for you and the other supporters prior to public release.

The mod is updated to the latest Core with most of it's associated features enabled. The other features I might implement at a later date, we'll see.

Apologies if I read a bit cranky, I'm exhausted after a multi-day update binge. Time for an adult beverage then a nap.

Regards and enjoy.

Last edited:

fishbrain

Engaged Member
Apr 9, 2018
You don't want to complete everything in this game, believe me.
Fucking serious nightmare fuel. It was hard enough to come back after that, then learning that it was only a couple points that fucked me. Cassie was already the best too.. fortunately it's been long enough that I don't remember the visuals but I'm still pissed we didn't get to "Dexter" them ourselves. I would've switched back and forth and cut them into pieces while they were still alive. Probably the worst experience I've had since I started playing VNs and that far outweighs the fire in AL with that psycho ginger bitch.

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
Have you considered the chance of releasing shorter updates with less scenes?
Yes, but it's impossible in the actual state of the game. as I wanted to progress all paths at the same time.
However, it may become possible in the near future. Some paths are coming to an end in the next update, and the changes I brought to old content inv0.6.3 should allow me to save some time.

We'll see.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Still faster than Radiant, so is all good.
I certainly wouldn't make these comparisons. Naughty Cap is neither a milker nor a scammer: he's a perfectionist, I guess.

Yes, but it's impossible in the actual state of the game. as I wanted to progress all paths at the same time.
However, it may become possible in the near future. Some paths are coming to an end in the next update, and the changes I brought to old content inv0.6.3 should allow me to save some time.

We'll see.
Let's hope. I'm sure you'd have more patrons with faster updates.

When is the public release date or it has been leaked?
You never got public releases here, bro: what you got here were always leaks donated by some generous fellow pirate chap.

Latest public release is 0.4.1 and you can find it on the Cap's patreon page.

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
I'm sure you'd have more patrons with faster updates.
But how should he manage this with that ammount of story paths? We all love to play games where choices matter but the price is that it blows up the storys which ends in long update processes.

4.20 star(s) 143 Votes