VN Ren'Py Tainted Heritage - a.k.a Weird Shit Is Going to Happen [v0.7.1] [recreation]

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
It looks better, sharper, clearer, but it's not like the 1080p version looks bad on a 1440p monitor. It won't be as sharp, might be a bit blurry, but that's about it.
The 4k version is more or less for people who have a high bandwidth, that don't care about the size, and/or have a 4k monitor/tv and want to get the most out of it.
Cool thanks for the reply, I do pretty good bandwidth and dont care about size (got plenty of staorage space lol) was mostly just the monitor/GPU that concerned. I am downloading the 4K and may try the 1080P after just to see if i notice any difference. May not right simply due to my eye sight and lens perscription being way out of date anyway lol

Reactions: recreation

Maethir

Jul 28, 2018
FWIW, Amazon has this in stock (LG 34BK95U-W UltraFine 34" 21:9 5K). Not curved (which there's enough reviews out there that basically show curved to be no more than marketing gimicks) and it is $1500+ but it's a damn nice monitor. (And I really do miss having better eyesight so I could actually use its 5120x2160 resolution.) This game does look stunning at 3840x1608 (yeah, custom res that's >4k... because: reasons), but mostly I run the 4k ver of this windowed @ half screen... because: multitasking).
But if you're in the same boat as me & food is more important than fancy computer things... I feel your pain.
Thanks for the info mate, Not usually a fan of UW monitors but that does look nice. And yea i feel your pain on the eyesight issue. its why i basically have to have a 32" or larger monitor, i would never be able to see anything smaller lol

Reactions: jdw6

Daastaan007

Jan 10, 2019
First time I played V0.2

Then I played V0.4 and I had to start a new game.

Again in V0.5, had to start from begin.

Probably in the next version, we will have to start from beginning again and so far.

Dev should finished the game at once and then say should have say, "start from begin"

Last edited:

stahalle

Jul 11, 2018
First time I played V0.2

Then I played V0.4 and I had to start a new game.

Again in V0.5, had to start from begin.

Probably in the next version, we will have to start from beginning again and so far.

Dev should finished the game at once and then say should have save "start from begin"
or maybe, if it bothers you, you should just wait till a game is completted to play it. it happens all the time with games still in development.

Daastaan007

Jan 10, 2019
or maybe, if it bothers you, you should just wait till a game is completted to play it. it happens all the time with games still in development.
Yeah, should have wait until completed.

Or atleast dev could give a option like player can start from any episode or could provide save files.

Last edited:

jdw6

Nov 30, 2019
recreation Just curious as to what the technical reasons would be to cause this sort of "must start over" or "saves not compatible" thing. Not just with your game, but in general. Is it something to do with how Ren'Py creates saves? Is it that Ren'Py saves variable names & values and those "need" changing to help future dev or story direction changes? Or is it something completely different?

it happens all the time with games still in development.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
recreation Just curious as to what the technical reasons would be to cause this sort of "must start over" or "saves not compatible" thing. Not just with your game, but in general. Is it something to do with how Ren'Py creates saves? Is it that Ren'Py saves variable names & values and those "need" changing to help future dev or story direction changes? Or is it something completely different?
Something big changes in the code and can no longer read old code saves were made on.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
renpy saves variables and values in save files, so if a dev has to change a variable, or needs to introduce a new one earlier in the code, the game simply won't recognise it until it's used/requested, but once that happens and renpy can't find the initial variable in the save, it will throw errors and stop working.

A quick example of something that happens quite often, especially if the dev is new:
We have variable A and variable B, both are defined quite early, usually at the beginning of the game:
define A = 10
define B = 5

^ this goes into the save file.
later in the game we have a condition that changes B:
if userchoice "yes":
B = +5
if userchoice "no":
B = -5

^ This also get's saved.
While working on the next episode/update the dev realizes that he needs another variable C that depends on A and B, so he makes a new variable:
define C = 1
^ this get's saved, and even if it didn't exist in the prior save, it will get saved now and work in the future.
Now he wants to set C's value (1) to a different value depending on if A and B got more or less points:
if B < 5 and A < ...wait a minute.
Now the dev realizes he forgot to include a condition to change variable A in the previous release.
He doesn't know what the user would choose, so he can't set variable C, but C is needed to trigger an important scene later in the game, so the player will have to start a new game to change A.
This example wouldn't even throw an error in most cases, but if the player doesn't start a new game, the A value will never change, so C will never be set, and the scene where it's needed would never trigger.

Another example would be switched variables: instead of A, like intended, a choice changes B, so A and B have wrong values, and even if the code is fixed, there's no way to figure out if the save contains the correct (the fixed, or the non-fixed) values.
^ this happened to me in v0.3

The problem with most of those type of games is that they're more or less an early alpha, not even a beta, and in such an early stage of developement it's hard to forsee every little bit of code change, to know every single variable in advance, and then there's human error... (probably the biggest problem).

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
renpy saves variables and values in save files, so if a dev has to change a variable, or needs to introduce a new one earlier in the code, the game simply won't recognise it until it's used/requested, but once that happens and renpy can't find the initial variable in the save, it will throw errors and stop working.

A quick example of something that happens quite often, especially if the dev is new:
We have variable A and variable B, both are defined quite early, usually at the beginning of the game:
define A = 10
define B = 5

^ this goes into the save file.
later in the game we have a condition that changes B:
if userchoice "yes":
B = +5
if userchoice "no":
B = -5

^ This also get's saved.
While working on the next episode/update the dev realizes that he needs another variable C that depends on A and B, so he makes a new variable:
define C = 1
^ this get's saved, and even if it didn't exist in the prior save, it will get saved now and work in the future.
Now he wants to set C's value (1) to a different value depending on if A and B got more or less points:
if B < 5 and A < ...wait a minute.
Now the dev realizes he forgot to include a condition to change variable A in the previous release.
He doesn't know what the user would choose, so he can't set variable C, but C is needed to trigger an important scene later in the game, so the player will have to start a new game to change A.
This example wouldn't even throw an error in most cases, but if the player doesn't start a new game, the A value will never change, so C will never be set, and the scene where it's needed would never trigger.

Another example would be switched variables: instead of A, like intended, a choice changes B, so A and B have wrong values, and even if the code is fixed, there's no way to figure out if the save contains the correct (the fixed, or the non-fixed) values.
^ this happened to me in v0.3

The problem with most of those type of games is that they're more or less an early alpha, not even a beta, and in such an early stage of developement it's hard to forsee every little bit of code change, to know every single variable in advance, and then there's human error... (probably the biggest problem).
Well put! Your use of define had me worried there, but you do use default in your game so all's good. *phew* :geek:

jdw6, Avaron1974 has a point, too. See for technical details on why saves can break.

jdw6

Nov 30, 2019
renpy can't find the initial variable in the save, it will throw errors and stop working.
This is kinda what I expected, just wasn't sure. Kinda more that 25+ year dev "educated guess" than anything. Basic -> C++ -> C -> Perl -> VB -> Java with a few side steps into other languages here and there... been on here enough to know there's try...catch type logic available, but I've spent most of my career fixing bad coding to know not to equate any dev with good coding. Even that crap I wrote now() - 1 ago. :ROFLMAO:

And, wow! Thanks for the uber detailed response. :) (But, what?!? You don't have a crystal ball to foresee the unforeseeable future?)

Hordragg Ah... rollback stuff (from that link) dur! Don't know why I didn't realize all of that was in there too. (So, naturally if the text of scenes get redone, and the old is still in there, or the ordering of the scenes... yeah, whole bunch of reasons.)

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
just came by the forest that part shown in the photos and was wondering is it supposed to be so dark you cant see whats happening ? as in i could see that something was moving but only after it was done could i actually see what happened.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
just came by the forest that part shown in the photos and was wondering is it supposed to be so dark you cant see whats happening ? as in i could see that something was moving but only after it was done could i actually see what happened.
This one?

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
That specific shot is supposed to be quite dark, but if you can't see the next shot/camera angle properly, then there's something wrong.
next ones where quite visible. i just thought in this one you should at least be able to see whats happening a bit more clearly while keeping it dark :p

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes