VN Ren'Py Tainted Heritage - a.k.a Weird Shit Is Going to Happen [v0.7.1] [recreation]

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
A little bit of drama is fine and not bad at all, but I also think of games as some kind of releave from the real world, I don't need endless drama, I don't want to play a soap opera, I want to have fun in games, and that's what I'm trying to do with my games: create a fun experience with maybe a little bit of drama on top.
I wish more devs had this mindset, real life already has enough drama.

dddkingddd

Apr 27, 2018
That's a large part of why I refuse to play that game at all.

Doesn't matter how nice the renders look or how good people keep saying the writing is. I really dislike unavoidable deaths or "gotcha" moments that can't be avoided or mitigated via player choice. Especially if it feels like it comes out of nowhere and is there more for the shock value/to make you feel bad rather than an organic part of the ongoing story. It's the same reason I refuse to play Leap of Faith.

And yes, I acknowledge the "Well, that sort of thing happens in real life!" or "It's more realistic!" arguments, but I don't really play AVNs (or games in general) for "realism". If anything, I play them for escapism. I want to get away from real life and realism. The whole point of player agency is to be able to shape the world to your whims rather than simply getting carried along on the tide of inevitable fate.

I don't mind tragedy overall (and bad endings are fine if it's my own bad choices that led to them), but LIs getting "fridged" or raped or otherwise "broken" out of the blue just to increase drama for the MC always feels a bit icky to me. Especially if the player is given no way to prevent it or save them.

(To be honest, it's the same reason why I wasn't keen at all on the scene in THIS game with Bethany and the tentacles, where even if you pick the fastest option to help her she still gets violated. Especially since it feels like you could have gotten the same emotional rescue moment without going that far. If anything, the scene could be even more cathartic/satisfying if you get there just in the nick of time and save her before anything too bad happens.

Well, assuming you pick the first option to save her. If you just stand around watching obviously it would/should happen regardless.
)
speaking as someone who also gets heavily immersed in these fictitious worlds as a means of escapism, i really appreciate when games incorporate some level of realism, even if the plot is the most convoluted shit ever. to me, realism keeps the 4th wall behind my eyes as opposed to in front of me at all times, it helps with my immersion. in a story where everything is too good to be true, where conflict is lacking and everything is perfect, the plot tends to lack any real direction; conflict resolution is fundamental to most expository works.

i think the first game that got me to appreciate realism was being a dik (same dev), it pushed me to take responsibility for my actions and break the habit of outcome manipulation, no longer choosing the decisions that lead to the outcome i wanted, but instead, choosing the decisions i'd truly make, then and there. i believe that's because a lotta the decisions in the game are reactive as opposed to proactive. things happen that are out of your control and you choose how to approach these problems, and at times when you make choices that cause problems for yourself later, you're pushed to resolve them, as opposed to undoing them. this way, the ups and downs of life are translated to the plot and i'm way more invested in the events that transpire cus i don't feel invincible, the decisions feel meaningful; i haven't escaped the bitter/sweet struggle of life but i've escaped the struggles of mine so mission accomplished yk? at least the problems encountered in these works of fiction are often easier to manage.

management games tend to be a bit less linear but usually have less of an impactful plot, though gameplay wise, feels a lot more free. i get what you mean about a lotta AVNs using these unavoidable tragedies for what feels like shock value and nothing else, honestly i feel that same way about a lotta them too, usually japanese stuff tbh. eventually you just get desensitized to it and its either boring or it genuinely pisses you tf off cus yk it exists for that sole reason, breaking your immersion entirely. some events could be easily avoided and others could've been prevented with the player's input, instead of relying on the protagonist's scripted personality. its realistic in the sense that you don't have control over everything and things don't always go your way, but unrealistic at the same time cus you know shit would've still gone differently had the conflict/characters made any amount of sense lol

i've never gotten the appeal of the whole rape/broken/corruption/ntr stuff either, i'm not a cuck, that's not a world i wanna escape to and i had the same issue with THAT scene in THIS game. like mom...no :HideThePain:
but wrt this game, i have more than a few nitpicky issues with it. i think the LACK of realism in that scene is what ruined it for me. our protagonist, being aware of the power of the amulet, REALISTICALLY would've never given it up so easily and would be in more of a rushed panic after finding it on the floor in front the door to his mother's room. had me like "bro we ALL know what happened if you don't hurry tf up you fucking dumbass. who tf wrote you to think like this?" and poof, immersion gone. suffice to say, i wasn't too pleased w it. i prefer my protags at least half as braindead as that.

packor

Oct 11, 2021
i've never gotten the appeal of the whole rape/broken/corruption/ntr stuff either, i'm not a cuck, that's not a world i wanna escape to and i had the same issue with THAT scene in THIS game. like mom...no :HideThePain:
but wrt this game, i have more than a few nitpicky issues with it. i think the LACK of realism in that scene is what ruined it for me. our protagonist, being aware of the power of the amulet, REALISTICALLY would've never given it up so easily and would be in more of a rushed panic after finding it on the floor in front the door to his mother's room. had me like "bro we ALL know what happened if you don't hurry tf up you fucking dumbass. who tf wrote you to think like this?" and poof, immersion gone. suffice to say, i wasn't too pleased w it. i prefer my protags at least half as braindead as that.
had to rewatch a few scenes, because that's not how I remembered it. The father already died for whatever reason, so it's not NTR; corruption, yes.

He didn't know that much about the amulet at the time, just that it could turn into a weapon. He had no idea that she would enter another place. At that point, for all we knew, she knew more about the amulet than he did. At least it seemed that way.

dddkingddd

Apr 27, 2018
had to rewatch a few scenes, because that's not how I remembered it. The father already died for whatever reason, so it's not NTR; corruption, yes.

He didn't know that much about the amulet at the time, just that it could turn into a weapon. He had no idea that she would enter another place. At that point, for all we knew, she knew more about the amulet than he did. At least it seemed that way.
when i referenced corruption, ntr etc. i was just speaking generally, not specifically wrt the game.

i also had to revisit the game after reading your comment, he'd travelled to another world twice before by the time his mother got transported there. he used the amulet as a weapon once and didn't forget this, attempting to weaponize it the second time, it was also a feature that stood out with nara, then his mother makes an issue of it at the dinner table. i dunno about you but that was more than enough information for me to refuse to hand it over and ask what she knows about it instead.

the amulet being on the floor in front her room was more than enough reason to panic as well, he's just slow, it doesn't take a genius to start making inferences from the get go, just the thought that his mother might've been transported to a world with monsters should've put some pep in his step.

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
I don't mind tragedy overall (and bad endings are fine if it's my own bad choices that led to them), but LIs getting "fridged" or raped or otherwise "broken" out of the blue just to increase drama for the MC always feels a bit icky to me. Especially if the player is given no way to prevent it or save them.
this is exactly the reason why i stopped playing
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
as this one also has a few of those yes they fit in the story but even if you do everything right its still going wrong kind of things. which is a shame as those few events ruined the entire game for me

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
this is exactly the reason why i stopped playing
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
as this one also has a few of those yes they fit in the story but even if you do everything right its still going wrong kind of things. which is a shame as those few events ruined the entire game for me
Yeah, a lot of the elf-related stuff kind of goes to dark places. Which is even worse in a way because it contrasts with the rest of the story not being that way. Doubly so since the way the game is designed means you can't just completely ignore a character you're not a fan of because it blocks other people's storylines. Triply so because Maria's storyline basically goes from light-hearted to horrific to almost entirely ignoring the repercussions and going right back to feeling like nothing ever happened, which is mood-whiplash to the extreme (and makes the drama feel even more gratuitous).

Reactions: ChopTheHead

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, a lot of the elf-related stuff kind of goes to dark places. Which is even worse in a way because it contrasts with the rest of the story not being that way. Doubly so since the way the game is designed means you can't just completely ignore a character you're not a fan of because it blocks other people's storylines. Triply so because Maria's storyline basically goes from light-hearted to horrific to almost entirely ignoring the repercussions and going right back to feeling like nothing ever happened, which is mood-whiplash to the extreme (and makes the drama feel even more gratuitous).
yeah i can handle all of the game up until that whiplash that one is just physically scarring for someone with my kind of brain. i know it fits the story but even if you say on everything she should not do it she does. if there just was that tiny difference it would all be okay. just an option for her not to do that one thing and the game would be perfect in my eyes. its written great its fun to play but things like that can ruin the entire game.

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
Ah damn it.

I just played through this.... and now that I looked at it again, last release was almost a year ago. And Bad Memories is the other game. Sigh... this is gonna be a long wait.

Mathesar

Mar 20, 2018
Ah damn it.

I just played through this.... and now that I looked at it again, last release was almost a year ago. And Bad Memories is the other game. Sigh... this is gonna be a long wait.
Fortunately, updates don't usually take this long. The dev was dealing with hardware failure, but that has been fixed.

Reactions: reyreynao

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I sure hope not. It would be a shame to ruin a good game.
Futa's generally fine when the player gets to choose whether or not it's a thing.

And I say that as someone who is generally fine with it.

The problem there is that it makes work harder for the dev, because they need to do double the renders and tweak the dialogue a bit for both possible paths.

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes