Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
I am thoroughly enjoying the slow burn. Please don't rush things.
Same here its a good slow steady build-up and you have a lot going on with the story and with all the different characters we have. Making Thim a part of the medical crew I wonder if we will hear the lines of damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an engineer. :D

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
Just a thought: It would be helpful to have a render of character's face next to the speaker tag. That would make introductions easier like in the scene with two naked ladies telling "My name is A." "My name is B." It would also make easier to remember who is who when we return back to this story after each update. Especially, in a scene where render doesn't change to the speaker.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Just a thought: It would be helpful to have a render of character's face next to the speaker tag. That would make introductions easier like in the scene with two naked ladies telling "My name is A." "My name is B." It would also make easier to remember who is who when we return back to this story after each update. Especially, in a scene where render doesn't change to the speaker.
You can't read a name? Have to be against this idea as the majority of devs who introuduce this do so with avatars that are farrrr tooo big. if they are small, unobtrusive and fit the theme...then I'm not against them per se.

Reactions: HoboCop86

Silvenight1

Aug 23, 2020
Some games have made this route a success, but very few. Small faces in the text box are alright, but can extend the dev time as they have to be inserted each and every time. Or they are attached to the name and that can get buggy. Unfortunately many games use a subtitle overlay instead of a text box so the scenes are not blocked, which leads to big assed echo characters on the scene blocking the action.

Games like Light of My Life effectively dodge this by making the character pictures part of the scene, but for a game like this one where cinematics are key to it's success this path ruins the game.

Just my thoughts on this, but I hate missing a scene because of a dialog pic in my way.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
You can't read a name?
I can. These visual novels are quite challenging to those who can't read, don't you agree? ;)

The point was: when you have two people standing next to each other introducing themselves while the render isn't showing which one of them is speaking, it's quite difficult to know who is who. In this case, I'm talking about the scene that happened after I helped all those ladies out of the milking complex and three of them decided to thank me. In the start of the fucking scene two ladies were next to each other just introducing themselves and only later I found out who was who when I had to choose whom to fuck first. I don't have their names on hand because I played this update last weekend and deleted the game files after I reached to the end of content. That's why I wrote A and B earlier.

What comes to the size of avatars, I trust in Perverteer who isn't just any dev. How funny it would be if it was player's choice if avatars were shown or not...

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
You can't read a name? Have to be against this idea as the majority of devs who introuduce this do so with avatars that are farrrr tooo big. if they are small, unobtrusive and fit the theme...then I'm not against them per se.
I'm always against that shit. It's why I use my transparent script and if a dev adds in the images, I have to go in and remove them. They are eyesores in my opinion.

Reactions: Silvenight1

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
I kinda get why it might be a problem in the larger scenes. I'll take a look at Ren'Py's documentation and might just implement this (small circular portrait next to the say box) as an optional feature. So it will be a preference setting which is off by default.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
for example alexandra has those "talking heads" but in there those are from 1st encounter of char no matter how he or she changes later.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
I do wonder though how on earth you cope watching a film or tv series...I mean...so many people in a scene might be talking between each other when the camera doesn't focus on them... ;)
Well, if I can see their mouths moving (and their body language) while they're talking it's much easier to connect speaker with their voice (and possibly their name if the scene introduced them) with the scene lasting longer than a single frame as it was the case in my example. It's slightly more difficult to know who was "talking" if you only see a single picture and more than a person talks via a text box.

But, because you asked, in my childhood in 1980s our non-Finnish movies and tv production had Finnish subtitles (movie theaters had also Swedish subtitles under Finnish subtitles because it's our second official language) so I kind of grew up reading movies and tv stuff. I even learned English by reading subtitles and listening to people talking before I started learning English in the school as my third language when I was 13. ;)

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Finally played this update.

Sure wasn't expecting the whole milking women factory plot. It seems quite like a big good versus evil choice for Camran to let the factory keep going or to destroy it.
being a good guy my Camran destroy the place with Jade's help and the proceeded to shot the furry "milk slaver" with Thyia (to the surprise of Jade). :devilish:

Now to know why that asteroid field is so dangerous the pervert twik sisters aren't following the Bastard.

I'd define Céline as a true relationship, Vess isn't at that level yet, but the kiss is the start of the route. Same goes for Jade, she's mostly with Cam because she was a birthday gift, but that's changing too.
That is nice to know. I like Céline but i do find Jade more interesting.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Finally played this update.

Sure wasn't expecting the whole milking women factory plot. It seems quite like a big good versus evil choice for Camran to let the factory keep going or to destroy it.
being a good guy my Camran destroy the place with Jade's help and the proceeded to shot the furry "milk slaver" with Thyia (to the surprise of Jade). :devilish:

Now to know why that asteroid field is so dangerous the pervert twik sisters aren't following the Bastard.
My first thoughts:

Reavers.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

or

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Silvenight1

Aug 23, 2020
I'd be effing afraid of Reavers like Firefly's.:oops: Just sayin'...

When mentioning them and judging by Mass Effect being popular with people on this site... imagine a whole freaking fleet of Indoctrinated psychopaths landing on you planet.

4.40 star(s) 135 Votes