VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Manifest: Shadows Over Manston [v2.2] [White Phantom Games]

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I really hope the dev will come back to Shadows over Manston after completing Defending Lydia Collier, this one is really great and deserve more development and story.
And if the dev ever revive this i hope he'll go back to re-introducing the LI routes he removed when he rewrote the game by removing several LI (as mentionned in this old post ).
I agree with first, unfortunately not really with second. If dev did decide it was too big and complicated to handle that many LI's and choices for him that rather shows wisdom and good project management from his side. Way too many games on this side stranded because too many paths, too many LI's or too many kinks that do not work together and got nowhere in the end but abandoned and quite often before we even got to the real juicy bits.

Regularus

Apr 2, 2019
I agree with first, unfortunately not really with second. If dev did decide it was too big and complicated to handle that many LI's and choices for him that rather shows wisdom and good project management from his side. Way too many games on this side stranded because too many paths, too many LI's or too many kinks that do not work together and got nowhere in the end but abandoned and quite often before we even got to the real juicy bits.
Yes, as much as i would love an extremely complex AVN with very indepth routes for lots of possible LI each with very well wrote developped characters, i agree that the amount of work it requires is often a key ingredient to the dev abandonning the project.
That may only be possible for large dev team and really lots of patreon money to pay everyone for the time it would take.
And of course the writing talent for it like White Phantom Games has.
One can dream :D

Reactions: DA22

longjohngold

Jan 22, 2020
I had another little zip through this one as it'd been forever since I played it... while I don't really care about the more fantastical stuff with the soldiers and whatnot, the stuff with the family and school is great. I really like how you can turn the wife into a spineless sub, or a bitch who's beating her daughter and looking for other young girls to get involved with. Bonus points for getting to knock up one of the girls from school, though shame you're not able to pursue them all. Really hope the dev does actually get back into it at some point.

Machete

Apr 7, 2020
I had another little zip through this one as it'd been forever since I played it... while I don't really care about the more fantastical stuff with the soldiers and whatnot, the stuff with the family and school is great. I really like how you can turn the wife into a spineless sub, or a bitch who's beating her daughter and looking for other young girls to get involved with. Bonus points for getting to knock up one of the girls from school, though shame you're not able to pursue them all. Really hope the dev does actually get back into it at some point.
Fun thing i find Defending Lydia Collier insanely boring by comparison (and in general) i don't understand what possessed the patreons at the poll.

DirectXD1943

Dec 9, 2022
No, it's not. White Phantom has addressed this many, many times on this very thread. It's on pause until Defending Lydia Collier is completed. It's only marked as Abandoned because of F95's rules on labeling game threads. It's not actually abandoned at all.
You realise it's gonna take AGES for Defending Lydia Collier to be completed though, right? Either he should've dedicated his time to one, or interchanged them. Defending Lydia Collier right now is largely getting scenes cause the paths diverge so much that they're all seperate sections, Shadows Over Manston was done better where it's all closer together. They're a great dev in terms of content, I appreciate their work, but Defending Lydia Collier is absolutely a prime example of needless complexity. I don't even think anyone cares about the story anymore, cause it's been SO long since the actual story has even been RELEVANT to the experience.

Reactions: Pinsel

DirectXD1943

Dec 9, 2022
I'd agree that introducing love interests is a good idea, so long as they're independent to the main paths. The issue he's clearly having with DLC is that he's made these wildly diverging paths that just absolutely soak up development time. I can't even remember the last update where the main story was even relevant because of it.

I mean, I understand the ethos: they're making a game with replay value, and making sure each playthrough is diverse enough to justify the replay. That's obviously a good thing, but that kind of content push should really be done with a larger team. If they just had 'side events' between the story parts of Shadow Over Manston with the scrapped LIs, it'd work well.

Reactions: Freezer14

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
You realise it's gonna take AGES for Defending Lydia Collier to be completed though, right? Either he should've dedicated his time to one, or interchanged them. Defending Lydia Collier right now is largely getting scenes cause the paths diverge so much that they're all seperate sections, Shadows Over Manston was done better where it's all closer together. They're a great dev in terms of content, I appreciate their work, but Defending Lydia Collier is absolutely a prime example of needless complexity. I don't even think anyone cares about the story anymore, cause it's been SO long since the actual story has even been RELEVANT to the experience.
You realize I was just answering a QUESTION about whether this was officially abandoned by the dev or not, right? Either you assume I have some pull with the dev or am living on copium, but I merely conveyed what the dev has said himself. I have no idea why you felt the need to quote me, as if you're rebutting some argument I made. I never said anything about that game being done soon. You're arguing something to ME when you should be talking to the DEVELOPER instead.

DirectXD1943

Dec 9, 2022
You realize I was just answering a QUESTION about whether this was officially abandoned by the dev or not, right? Either you assume I have some pull with the dev or am living on copium, but I merely conveyed what the dev has said himself. I have no idea why you felt the need to quote me, as if you're rebutting some argument I made. I never said anything about that game being done soon. You're arguing something to ME when you should be talking to the DEVELOPER instead.
I feel like you have to learn when to use capitalisation for exaggeration if you're going to mimic my use. I responded because your quote was relevant to my comment about the game. Stop whining, you spent more time bitching than if you'd just ignored it. You're a strange dude, keep the comments relevant to the game.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I feel like you have to learn when to use capitalisation for exaggeration if you're going to mimic my use. I responded because your quote was relevant to my comment about the game. Stop whining, you spent more time bitching than if you'd just ignored it. You're a strange dude, keep the comments relevant to the game.
. . . says the dude whose comment was almost entirely focused on the other game. Right, sure man. Whatever. I was mocking your ludicrous use of capitalization, not trying to mimic it. Careful, the hypocrisy of your whiny reply is showing. Don't bother responding, though: you're on my ridiculous-enough-to-be-ignored list. Bye now.

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes