Ren'Py Abandoned The Things We Do For Love [Ep. 1-2] [DSeductionGames]

4.00 star(s) 18 Votes

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Hmmmm..... Finally we got update, but now i worry about 2 protagonists. Not exactly about protagonists, but about story perspective. I mean why not a narrator? Why do both protagonists tell from 1 view? I never have seen in books such things.
The idea, for me, behind the narration is that the twins themselves are relaying the story to us. And, as they are twins, their relaying of the story is in the same format as their normal behavior, completing one another's thoughts, swapping between the person speaking as the story goes on. If you recall the dinner scene with the D&D story, the entire game is that on steroids. So yes, it's different from every story you've ever read. Yes, it might be difficult to follow sometimes. However, that is an intentional action by me to make the story feel a certain way.

Alexander has the most feminine personality and appearance in all the games present in this site. The beginning scene was bad enough but making him so meek and helpless while his twin sister so strong I cannot but wonder if this was not meant from the beginning to be a gay game but the DEV did some last minute changes to hide that fact and increase the number of his subscribers?
For people who can identify with a rather beta main protagonist, this might be fun. For me it's sadly not.
An effeminate beta male mc? Please tell me we can eventually turn him into a sissy
Alpha and beta males are not a thing. Masculinity is not defined by muscle density or lack of empathy. Being a victim of rape does not make one less of a man. Dealing with the psychological damage of that victimhood does not make one less of a man. Not being heterosexual does not make one less of a man.

No, this game was not designed as a gay game and changed later. It was designed as a romance between a male and a female. However, Alexander and Alexis are written as a sort of expression of my individual, pansexual self. To be honest, you shouldn't relate to either one of the protagonists, because neither one is a whole person without the other. While there will be options that express this sexuality later, it will not be forced on you outside of characterization.

Remember, at all times, I am not forcing you to play my game, I am not forcing you to pay for my game. It is up to you whether you engage with it. If you're unable to open your mind to an experience that differs from your own, that's fine, but please, keep that to yourself and move on. I'll not be changing the game to suit your tastes or tailoring it to fit your experience.

Do not come into this thread to invalidate the experiences of those you don't understand. Do not treat this thread as a place to denigrate the manhood of others. I will not tolerate speech that may cause harm to people in this thread and will apply liberal use of the report feature. I ask that the moderation staff use extreme prejudice. My game does challenge the status quo of masculinity, heteronormativity, and misogyny in games. It will quickly devolve into flame wars if not moderated properly.

Do you have a discord?
My discord is currently Patron only, however it is available to all tiers. I may open it as time goes on, but for now I don't have much I can reward my patrons with, as the amount of time that goes into putting out a release is already quite high.

If there is going to be ntr in later updates will it be avoidable ?
Absolutely. As someone already said, you make decisions for both parties, if you decide to go down that path it will be your choice.

Then either the patch is breaking it somehow, or the one posted here is different from what you have in some way. I tried every combination including your suggested "Tease Him" + "Turn" + "I Can't" and the result of that combination is that you get the menu options but when you choose "Embarassed is Embarassed" you still get the path of the mother calling them lovebirds and then cut to the car scene. That is because choosing "Tease Him" and "Turn" will each give her a lust point and trigger her forced fantasizing thus give you 7 points in Alexislust. That is the current unavoidable issue making the "else" topless scene unreachable. You need to have Alexislust < 7 which is not possible with the requirements.
I see now what you're saying. I thought you were saying the scene where she ends up checking her phone was broken. I will look at that and have an official fix for it when the patron reward scene is finished so I can add it to the release.

But, [at the risk of starting a war] is it really NTR if you play as the female MC and have sex with different partners? If you were playing a completely male-MC-based game, it probably would be. But in this one, I don't know.
So, here's how I see NTR, and in this, I'm specifically referring to Netorare, not Netorase.

NTR is a situation wherein A is, a person with a relationship that constitutes a bond of trust with another person, B. B is then, whether through coercive force, or free will, convinced into breaking that bond in the course of a growing sexual relationship with person C.

Cheating in and of itself is not necessarily a break of that bond. Usually, what has to occur is B, in spite of everything, chooses C over A completely. Often this will be represented in a sort of "I love my _____ but I just can't stop coming back to this ____." Eventually C demands a show of that loyalty, maybe A has some major function or Anniversary that is important to them and C demands B attend to them and their needs over the needs of A. The moment B does this, of their own free will, they are betraying that bond of trust, they are breaking down the wall. Whether A ever finds out or not won't matter, because we'll know what is in B's heart, so we know the outcome.

In this way, it would be narrative that would make it NTR. Sure, you yourself might not feel cucked, but that wouldn't change the narrative itself, nor the emotional impact on A at B's betryal, just how it might affect you personally.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It would be nice to know how these variables affect the various routes.
Well, they're more on my end. Ideally, unless you make a labeled final choice, one such example existed in ep2, you'll be able to recover or lose some of those points and still end up on your ideal route. I want things to feel more organic, not so mechanical. It's best not to worry about them in the larger game. They might feel very rigid right now, but as you can see from the sheer number of variations already, there will be plenty of opportunities to make up or lose points as it goes on.

I am vehemently against showing those points because it changes, fundamentally, how people approach the game. An example, in Babysitter, there is a scene where you are at the club with Christine and Jessica, Robert, the Bartender is also involved, and he is one of the romantic rivals, not even a real netori, just a rival. A player complained about "forced NTR" with this scene because when they chose to dance with Jessica (remember, their choice), and then chose to let Robert into their home, it resulted in the TorD scenario where there were some minor sexual interactions.

Why did they make the idiotic choice to let Robert into their home if they wanted to avoid NTR? Because not doing so reduced some points with Christine. If the person had been paying attention to the actions, behaving as they should to get the outcome they desired, keeping Christine for themselves, they wouldn't have had a problem. But instead they were paying attention to the points.

In short, don't worry about the points. Those will be for my benefit, a way to gate and ungate you as I see fit. With as many paths as this will have, the variables will leave you all over the place.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I'd like to praise the realism of the characterization, on many fronts but especially this one: the pall of the trauma still hangs over the family like a mostly impenetrable shroud. It intensely infects the mother's every word and action. Adult games tend to treat trauma like most of us treat quickly aborted mosquito bites, so this is extremely welcome.

I forced myself to rewatch the opening scene. I won't do that again (and I think the option to avoid the visual was, ultimately, the right choice...even though I know you would have preferred otherwise and I understand why), but I do want to congratulate you for it. It was about as well executed (pun intended) as a scene like that could possibly be without being unnecessarily exploitative. I particularly approve of the way you framed Alexis from the moment she entered her brother's bedroom until the end of the scene.

On a more pleasant note: Alexis, especially in her fully seductive mode, is absolutely irresistible.

One thing I'd still like to see changed is the color of the character names in the text box. You've already given them very similar names and introduced a nickname that could easily apply to either. It adds unnecessary confusion and delays comprehension of the text, especially since the siblings are talking to each other more than they're talking to anyone else. I'm not a "only 5 minutes of content?" guy; I read when the writing's good. But even I had to constantly roll back to figure out where I'd lost the thread and started attributing one sibling's words to the other. It would be really helpful (and speed the consumption of the narrative for the player) if one of them was a completely different primary or near-primary color. Please consider it.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
The idea, for me, behind the narration is that the twins themselves are relaying the story to us. And, as they are twins, their relaying of the story is in the same format as their normal behavior, completing one another's thoughts, swapping between the person speaking as the story goes on. If you recall the dinner scene with the D&D story, the entire game is that on steroids. So yes, it's different from every story you've ever read. Yes, it might be difficult to follow sometimes. However, that is an intentional action by me to make the story feel a certain way.
I would also imagine that the split in their narration will become more evident as the Twins spend actual time apart. Right now they are stuck in relatively the same area during the car ride. But once they get where they're going and have time to spend time doing separate things, the two perspectives will become more distinct rather than every decision just being two sides of the same conversations.

I am vehemently against showing those points because it changes, fundamentally, how people approach the game. An example, in Babysitter, there is a scene where you are at the club with Christine and Jessica, Robert, the Bartender is also involved, and he is one of the romantic rivals, not even a real netori, just a rival. A player complained about "forced NTR" with this scene because when they chose to dance with Jessica (remember, their choice), and then chose to let Robert into their home, it resulted in the TorD scenario where there were some minor sexual interactions.
The worst example of "Showing Numbers" that I've seen was in the game Wifey's Duties, in which the Dev literally showed you which option was the "Correct" one by making the choices color coded.

On the flips side though, what I hate is when people do official walkthroughs in which they show the "+R Points" but don't actually tell you what those points are for what they'll be used for in the future. One of the games that updated this week was "Where it all started" which tracks Relationship and NTR points which are givens, but then there's Sub, Dom, and one that was called "Mom's Jealousy" which have no explanation given as to whether they're good or bad because sometimes Devs like to confuse you with whether you getting Character Sub points means that you are more sub to them, or they are to you.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
An example, in Babysitter...
You've used this example a lot...really a lot ;)...and while I completely agree with your point, I'd like to offer a slightly tangential counterpoint.

You're "complaining" about people treating a story as a game rather than treating it as a story. Which is a completely valid complaint in a world where most games don't actually reward the latter rather than the former, but it's not particularly the world of adult gaming as it exists. I think — I haven't taken a survey or done a study, so this is conjecture — most games probably reward gameplay over what you and I would probably identify as role-playing.

In Babysitter, for instance, it's not massively difficult to navigate the primary love interest route by making sensible choices. But if you want to play the NTR content — and it's there to be played, which means the dev wants it to be available — most players are going to have to refer to the walkthrough. This is a gameplay reward, not a story reward.

A better example, though, is DMD vs. Melody. Same team, or parts of a team, or...hell, I can't keep track anymore. But in the former there's a "perfect" daughter route that relies much more on a player keeping a careful eye on point accumulation than it does on being the sort of pervert father than a dumb-as-rocks daughter would want to sleep with. Sorry, that just slipped out; what I meant to say is that he can still do many things of which she really shouldn't approve and you can still be on the "perfect" route, and so it's really just about not sleeping with her best friend and/or your coworker one time out of a half-dozen. (I may be exaggerating for effect.)

Whereas Melody is also a game that rewards point-monitoring, but it binds those points to reasonable real-world choices. Obviously you are not going to get away with screwing the best friend, the aunt, the neighbor, the flight attendant, the waitress, and the title character. The text gives you plenty of clues that you're on a path you can't reasonably sustain, even if the game hasn't yet punished you for it. That's shifting the reward system from gameplay to story fidelity. And if more games did that, I think your "complaint" would be even more relevant.

As it is, though, we have Milfy City.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
In Babysitter, for instance, it's not massively difficult to navigate the primary love interest route by making sensible choices. But if you want to play the NTR content — and it's there to be played, which means the dev wants it to be available — most players are going to have to refer to the walkthrough. This is a gameplay reward, not a story reward.
If it is intuitive to navigate the sensible choices, then why is it not also intuitive to do the opposite?

I know I've used that example a lot, it's because it stands out to me and is something the dev and I talked about at length. It is something that, after playing games like Big Brother, Man of the House, and Dating My Daughter I already knew I didn't want, and that was before this example.

I agree with your criticism of DMD whole-heartedly, even the part you apologized for.

I'm not quite sure what you meant with Melody, I chose to skip it.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
If it is intuitive to navigate the sensible choices, then why is it not also intuitive to do the opposite?
It's quite a bit trickier and less obvious to get to the NTR in that game. It's certainly obvious how to f up the MC's relationship with the main lust object, and the initial choices early in the game (ignore, dismiss, let her dance, etc.) are pretty clear, but the "don't identify yourself on the yacht" (or whatever) choice is extremely non-intuitive, or at least it seems so to me. It's a choice that's asking you to decide whether or not taking down your rivals is what you're there for, and doesn't necessarily imply that she's going to go ahead and have sex with them. Though it's been a while since I've played and maybe I'm misremembering; it's one of a huge number of games that I decided I'd wait for completion to play, because — perhaps relevantly — I was "gameplaying" to assemble my important saves rather than immersing myself in the story, but without knowing exactly where the game was going on each path.

I'm not quite sure what you meant with Melody, I chose to skip it.
It's a much better game. Much, much better. More relevantly, it's a massively more logical game in which the MC still has some slightly dodgy motivations regarding younger women but pretty much everyone else's choices make sense. Which I'd think you'd agree is a vast improvement over DMD.

For instance (I'm not gonna spoiler-protect this, sorry), you're introduced to the titular character by her aunt. Who is very attractive, turns out to be rather horny (shocking, I know), and whom you can bed on multiple occasions. But when you're having lunch/dinner with her or her niece, your internal monologue makes it clear that you know you can't get away with this. Same with the neighbor, who questions your daily visitors. Same with the flight attendant, whose begging for a redux you have to deliberately hide. Unlike DMD, Melody is a game where the fact that you can't actually do everything/everyone you wish to do is constantly laid out in the storyline. DMD doesn't ever do that until the most recent updates, and even then it hedges.

Reactions: Walter Victor

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
It's quite a bit trickier and less obvious to get to the NTR in that game. It's certainly obvious how to f up the MC's relationship with the main lust object, and the initial choices early in the game (ignore, dismiss, let her dance, etc.) are pretty clear, but the "don't identify yoursel on the yacht" (or whatever) choice is extremely non-intuitive, or at least it seems so to me. It's a choice that's asking you to decide whether or not taking down your rivals is what you're there for, and doesn't necessarily imply that she's going to go ahead and have sex with them. Though it's been a while since I've played and maybe I'm misremembering.
Well, I have never had too much problem navigating the game, understanding what does what. But maybe I'm simply more tuned into how these choices work? I mean, don't get me wrong. I save all the time and rollback frequently, mostly because I can't help but see how bad some of the obviously bad things can go, but I generally find myself pretty good at getting the results I want out of games without worrying about points or whatnot.

This does get me into trouble sometimes though. There was a point early in the game where you needed to have accessed Christine's phone and been using the spycams that I didn't do in babysitter, because I don't really care for that type of content. But that's been kinda fixed now. You still have to do it. But doing it is something that isn't day and time specific and while you have to do the spy content, I don't hate hate it.

As to Melody, I might give it a go if it ever finishes (hah) but I'm not really excited to play it.

TiffanyMonroe

Forum Fanatic
May 29, 2018

Alpha and beta males are not a thing. Masculinity is not defined by muscle density or lack of empathy. Being a victim of rape does not make one less of a man. Dealing with the psychological damage of that victimhood does not make one less of a man. Not being heterosexual does not make one less of a man.

No, this game was not designed as a gay game and changed later. It was designed as a romance between a male and a female. However, Alexander and Alexis are written as a sort of expression of my individual, pansexual self. To be honest, you shouldn't relate to either one of the protagonists, because neither one is a whole person without the other. While there will be options that express this sexuality later, it will not be forced on you outside of characterization.

Remember, at all times, I am not forcing you to play my game, I am not forcing you to pay for my game. It is up to you whether you engage with it. If you're unable to open your mind to an experience that differs from your own, that's fine, but please, keep that to yourself and move on. I'll not be changing the game to suit your tastes or tailoring it to fit your experience.

Do not come into this thread to invalidate the experiences of those you don't understand. Do not treat this thread as a place to denigrate the manhood of others. I will not tolerate speech that may cause harm to people in this thread and will apply liberal use of the report feature. I ask that the moderation staff use extreme prejudice. My game does challenge the status quo of masculinity, heteronormativity, and misogyny in games. It will quickly devolve into flame wars if not moderated properly.
Yikes. Did you really just use the speech harms people excuse for being a dick? I don't know if your vitriolic comment was directed at me or not but wow what an overreaction to a simple question.
I'm not a marketing expert but I'm pretty sure attacking potential customers or people that actually like your game is not a good idea.
Good luck with whatever you're going through.(y)

Reactions: Pharan

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I generally find myself pretty good at getting the results I want out of games without worrying about points or whatnot.
I generally don't either, but I thought the game went a bit off the rails once it hit the yacht and I had trouble understanding the consequences of my choices. I really don't want to play the game from the start again because it's sooooo loooong, but I will...once it's done.

That said, I don't share your sunny optimism w/r/t in-game choices. I just finished Lancaster Boarding School, for example, and I seriously don't know how that game's content could ever be fully explored without a walkthrough. But there, again, is me treating it like a game — gotta see all the bewbs — than a story. Unfortunately, I think that's what it rewards. Completism is a destructive fetish among players, but it's no credit to devs either.

As to Melody, I might give it a go if it ever finishes (hah) but I'm not really excited to play it.
It did get to the desired, uh, climax much sooner than DMD (maybe not in terms of real-life months, but definitely in terms of releases). I reserve final judgement until it's finished, but it's a good game. Not Depraved Awakening, but a perfectly good game.

Jun 9, 2017
Yikes. Did you really just use the speech harms people excuse for being a dick? I don't know if your vitriolic comment was directed at me or not but wow what an overreaction to a simple question.
I'm not a marketing expert but I'm pretty sure attacking potential customers or people that actually like your game is not a good idea.

My discord is currently Patron only, however it is available to all tiers. I may open it as time goes on, but for now I don't have much I can reward my patrons with, as the amount of time that goes into putting out a release is already quite high.

Absolutely. As someone already said, you make decisions for both parties, if you decide to go down that path it will be your choice.

I see now what you're saying. I thought you were saying the scene where she ends up checking her phone was broken. I will look at that and have an official fix for it when the patron reward scene is finished so I can add it to the release.

So, here's how I see NTR, and in this, I'm specifically referring to Netorare, not Netorase.

NTR is a situation wherein A is, a person with a relationship that constitutes a bond of trust with another person, B. B is then, whether through coercive force, or free will, convinced into breaking that bond in the course of a growing sexual relationship with person C.

Cheating in and of itself is not necessarily a break of that bond. Usually, what has to occur is B, in spite of everything, chooses C over A completely. Often this will be represented in a sort of "I love my _____ but I just can't stop coming back to this ____." Eventually C demands a show of that loyalty, maybe A has some major function or Anniversary that is important to them and C demands B attend to them and their needs over the needs of A. The moment B does this, of their own free will, they are betraying that bond of trust, they are breaking down the wall. Whether A ever finds out or not won't matter, because we'll know what is in B's heart, so we know the outcome.

In this way, it would be narrative that would make it NTR. Sure, you yourself might not feel cucked, but that wouldn't change the narrative itself, nor the emotional impact on A at B's betryal, just how it might affect you personally.

Well, they're more on my end. Ideally, unless you make a labeled final choice, one such example existed in ep2, you'll be able to recover or lose some of those points and still end up on your ideal route. I want things to feel more organic, not so mechanical. It's best not to worry about them in the larger game. They might feel very rigid right now, but as you can see from the sheer number of variations already, there will be plenty of opportunities to make up or lose points as it goes on.

Why did they make the idiotic choice to let Robert into their home if they wanted to avoid NTR? Because not doing so reduced some points with Christine. If the person had been paying attention to the actions, behaving as they should to get the outcome they desired, keeping Christine for themselves, they wouldn't have had a problem. But instead they were paying attention to the points.

In short, don't worry about the points. Those will be for my benefit, a way to gate and ungate you as I see fit. With as many paths as this will have, the variables will leave you all over the place.
Alright people no need for being discourteous to each other. A measure of respect and acceptance for different opinions is appreciated.

Reactions: Robert Monotoli

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Very clearly, you were one of 3 people caught up in that. Had you not chosen a slur, you wouldn't have been. The majority of it was not aimed at you, but I wanted to be sure that the sentiment was clear to all who chose to use the slur. If if continues I will report you. No. I do not give a flying fuck about the patronage of one person who cares more about being able to say toxic shit than they do the effect that toxic shit might have on the psyche of the already marginalized people it targets.

Again, it is now, and will always be your choice to engage with my content or not. If content that challenges societal norms doesn't interest you, feel free to find a safe space in a game that doesn't elsewhere.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The fact that the narration is swapped between the two is an interesting device, and doesn't bother me in the slightest. But, the thing that does bug me is that when the twins are together, unless the other sibling is mentioned in the text, it is often difficult to know which one is narrating. It's the anal in me. So if you could add the character names to the narration text boxes, that would help my feeble mind, which is often unable to distinguish between the two narrators, and for some strange reason, wants to.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
The fact that the narration is swapped between the two is an interesting device, and doesn't bother me in the slightest. But, the thing that does bug me is that when the twins are together, unless the other sibling is mentioned in the text, it is often difficult to know which one is narrating. It's the anal in me. So if you could add the character names to the narration text boxes, that would help my feeble mind, which is often unable to distinguish between the two narrators, and for some strange reason, wants to.
What if, when I assign new colors to the normal characters as others have suggested, I make all narration text by that character that color?

I would rather not give them a name when narrating, but I think this might be a good compromise, and I think I can do it to the choices too, making it clear who is making them.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
What if, when I assign new colors to the normal characters as others have suggested, I make all narration text by that character that color?
Full discolored narration would be even more than I hoped for, but nevertheless very much welcome. This is a game that requires very specific attention to two very close siblings. Any opportunity to differentiate them would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: Robert Monotoli

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Oooh, but which one?
Lex (insert some form of troll face)

But no, Alexander, whose red color is a little difficult to see, makes sense as the one to change. Plus, I fucking love purple.

(by the way, even with liberal use of the copy paste function, it actually took an hour just to do episode 1's narration. Now to do episode 2 and hope our mysterious benefactor catches on for the patch.)

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017

I would rather not give them a name when narrating, but I think this might be a good compromise, and I think I can do it to the choices too, making it clear who is making them.
Wonderful. I can die happy! [While jerking off to this game]

4.00 star(s) 18 Votes