Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
No, it's not. I've got a number of renpy games and none of it gets flagged.
False positives are possible. Nevertheless I'm not used to them. Thus I'm not convinced and I prefer to err on the side of safety.
I can definitely understand your concern, considering I'm a new developer. Feel free to come back when new versions are out and the game is more established as an authentic project.

LaCroix32

Jan 26, 2019
Faerie Dust

Intersting idea with random mood of character each day. But is it really neccesary to degrade affection each day? Wouldnt it be better to lower aff if you havent interacted with them some time. Like 3 whole days without interaction for example.
Its silly to lose affection at the end of the day, if you actually spend this day raising it.

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Some food for thought:
  • About the flagged exe file - if you want to play the game, but don't trust the exe file, just use any other exe file from any other renpy game, put it in the game folder and rename it to: WonderlandWitches.exe
  • Faerie Dust - Please do yourself and all of us a favor and consider compressing your images. Right now with only about 120 images, it's not really a problem. But it will become one soon enough. If you start using webp format instead of png, your game will be a lot smaller (like 10% the image size) without any noticeable quality loss. Webp is even smaller than jpg and it supports alpha channels.
  • Choices that have been "used" already could be removed from the list of choices. It's not much fun asking her about 10 times "Are you a witch or a mercenary?" with always the same answer.
  • Why do all girls share the exact same face, body and skin texture? Are they clones or something :) A little more variety would be nice. A different skin texture and some changes to the body would help already. Changing the face is not that hard either, even if you don't want to buy a ton of daz stuff in the beginning.

Last edited:

Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
Faerie Dust

Intersting idea with random mood of character each day. But is it really neccesary to degrade affection each day? Wouldnt it be better to lower aff if you havent interacted with them some time. Like 3 whole days without interaction for example.
Its silly to lose affection at the end of the day, if you actually spend this day raising it.
Thanks for your feedback. I agree that you shouldn't lose affection if you met them on that day, it will be implemented for v0.1.2. Though 3 days seem too much, I don't want players to have 100 affection with every girl at the same time. For me, that would be immersion-breaking. The mood system will allow more variety in the dialogues in the future.

LaCroix32

Jan 26, 2019
Though 3 days seem too much
It was just example/suggestion. Final choise belong to the creator.
Is there plans to deepen combat system? So for now you either surrender, run or atack. Having weak atack, strong(costly/or risky) atack and defend/recover would be a start.
I recommend to use "while" and separate module for battle, relocate battle script from woods in separate file.

$ inCombat = True
while inCombat:
if currenthp <= 0:
$ inCombat = False
jump end_battle
call b_actions
if enemy_hp <= 0:
$ win = True
$ inCombat = False
jump end_battle
call e_actions

Make b_actions separate module with posible action to make (player) and e_actions - enemy actions.

This gives nice loop of turns.
PS cant make right intendation in this post editor. Hope you get idea.

Last edited:

Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
Some food for thought:
  • About the flagged exe file - if you want to play the game, but don't trust the exe file, just use any other exe file from any other renpy game, put it in the game folder and rename it to: WonderlandWitches.exe
Well, that was unexpected. Actually it was your game that inspired my sandbox / loop system instead of just creating a linear VN. I much prefer games with actual gameplay, even if it means a lot more coding.

Thanks for your feedback, your tip on replacing the exe file will definitely help a lot of players. And for sure, when the game starts to get heavy I will compress the background images. For now though, the size is still relatively small and the priority is adding more content.

Fun fact: this game is not made with Daz, but a hell lot of Photoshop. Aside from the initial base body, everything is photoshopped to death. It takes a long time to create new poses, so it was a conscious decision to streamline the art. The upside is that I'm not restricted to Daz textures, so my imagination is the limit when it comes to adding new items, clothing, etc. You probably won't see them in any other game. Changing skin tone / adding freckles should be simple enough, but for now I'm satisfied with the art. It helps me develop the game faster and since it's a sprite based game, I can always go back and add more variation if needed. The curvy body type won't change though, take it or leave it.

Removing choices already selected would be great, though I still need to figure out a way to do it efficiently on the code. Creating a new variable for every choice is really time-consuming and likely not the best approach. I will look more into this in the Lemmasoft forums.

P.S. Aly best girl

LaCroix32

Jan 26, 2019
Removing choices already selected would be great, though I still need to figure out a way to do it efficiently on the code. Creating a new variable for every choice is really time-consuming and likely not the best approach. I will look more into this in the Lemmasoft forums.
No need to create new variable for every new set of choises. Just set it to default value after each scene which is require it.

P.S. learn to use call command, you are overusing jump

Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
It was just example/suggestion. Final choise belong to the creator.
Is there plans to deepen combat system? So for now you either surrender, run or atack. Having weak atack, strong(costly/or risky) atack and defend/recover would be a start.
I recommend to use "while" and separate module for battle, relocate battle script from woods in separate file.

$ inCombat = True
while inCombat:
if currenthp <= 0:
$ inCombat = False
jump end_battle
call b_actions
if enemy_hp <= 0:
$ win = True
$ inCombat = False
jump end_battle
call e_actions

Make b_actions separate module with posible action to make (player) and e_actions - enemy actions.

This gives nice loop of turns.
PS cant make right intendation in this post editor. Hope you get idea.
Of course, I always encourage players (and coders!) to give me feedback so thanks a lot for that.

I wasn't aware of the while function. It will be useful not only in combat, but in other parts of the game as well. Don't worry, I can see the proper indentation when I click reply. I will read more into the call function as well.

Yes I plan to increase the complexity of the combat, it's more of a placeholder right now. But first I want to polish some other areas, like a proper introduction to the lady at the market and adding more events. For now, the combat strategy really is before the battle actually happens. Should you be greedy and search for ingredients knowing that you have low health/energy, or eating/healing before just to be safe?

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Well, that was unexpected. Actually it was your game that inspired my sandbox / loop system instead of just creating a linear VN. I much prefer games with actual gameplay, even if it means a lot more coding.
Unexpected as in me writing something in your game thread? I check out most of the sandbox games that come out, since I prefer these types of games over the VN "click, read click, click, read" style.
As for the inspiration, that's nice to hear, thanks :)

It's a lot faster if I just tell you :)
Python:
$ i_option1 = True
$ i_option2 = True

label whatever_menu_start:
       menu:
        "Ask for whatever1" if i_option1:
            $ i_option1 = False
            "....."

"Ask for whatever2" if i_option2:
            $ i_option2 = False
            "......"

"Quit conversation":
            jump whatever_end

if i_option1 or i_option2:
        jump whatever_menu_start

label whatever_end:
    "Have a nice day!"
You can reuse the "option" variables as often as you want.
With the if i_otion1 or i_option2 at the end, you can also "auto finish" the conversation, if nothing else can be done anyway. So the player doesn't have to click the "quit/end option".

If you want to save yourself some headaches, move away from single variables for your characters. it will take a little getting used to, but in the end, it will open up a lot of new options and possibilities if you use a character class and create instances for every member (girl).
But going into this some more is too much for this thread. If you want to discuss it or would like some general ideas, send me a PM.

PS: Using calls makes sense where possible, but you should always use calls with ().
So instead of:
call battle1

you should do:
call battle1()

passing the necessary variables to the underlying function:
call battle1(i_strength = 10, i_health = 50)

Last edited:

Seewolf

Feb 27, 2019
Right now it lacks the content for making a proper review. Unfortunately all the girls look the same, except for the hair color. This needs to be changed. Except for collecting herbs, selling them and improving relationship, there is nothing to do, yet. I'll monitor this thread for future updates. though.

Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
Unexpected as in me writing something in your game thread? I check out most of the sandbox games that come out, since I prefer these types of games over the VN "click, read click, click, read" style.
As for the inspiration, that's nice to hear, thanks :)

It's a lot faster if I just tell you :)
Thank you for the helpful comment! I will play around with the code and get back to you if I need some more guidance. I'm glad you tried out WW and best of luck with your project.

Rpgfan6622

Aug 23, 2017
Right now it lacks the content for making a proper review. Unfortunately all the girls look the same, except for the hair color. This needs to be changed. Except for collecting herbs, selling them and improving relationship, there is nothing to do, yet. I'll monitor this thread for future updates. though.
The girls could be triplets. One mage, one thief and one trader. The next section is my mini review.

My problem with this game is the sandbox. For me, it seems you don't collect enough items to save money. By day 20, I only sold only hp potion. There is no way to get 50 gold by day 90. It's seems like you lose the game before you even play it. Hopefully, the money mechanics is fixed in the next few updates since it the main grind(Item collections).

Reactions: Faerie Dust

oulala93

Aug 30, 2017
Hello, I wanted to test the game but when I extract the game from the Zip file, I am not the "aplication" file to launch the game :( :(

Faerie Dust

Game Developer
Jan 15, 2020
The girls could be triplets. One mage, one thief and one trader. The next section is my mini review.

My problem with this game is the sandbox. For me, it seems you don't collect enough items to save money. By day 20, I only sold only hp potion. There is no way to get 50 gold by day 90. It's seems like you lose the game before you even play it. Hopefully, the money mechanics is fixed in the next few updates since it the main grind(Item collections).
The balance for the game is an ongoing process, no need to worry about the 50 gold coins right now. I want it to be just enough money so that you can buy bread, sometimes sleep at the inn and afford some items. The 90 day in the prologue will be changed, since the days can go by quite fast. Thank you for the feedback.

no sex yet ?
Not yet. It's more teasing for the next updates, but it'll get there in time.

Reactions: Kalrotix
2.50 star(s) 4 Votes