juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Not write the story/plot/characters complete first, and just make it up as you go along starting with a few ideas.. Perfect way to paint yourself into a corner. Adding a ton of characters that would require a own manuscript just to keep track of, doesn't do yourself any favors either.. Perfect recipe to turn your project into a chore and burn your candle from both ends..
As far as i know, he has the outline of the story written

Aug 14, 2017
Hopefully he doesn't go down the perfectionist rabbit hole, that pretty much spells doom for this game. As it has for many others. But I also think this is the pressure of expectation manifesting itself. He is experiencing IRL issues -> Update delay -> Fans get antsy -> BD wants to keep his fans happy -> Try's to make the update the best possible -> Self-doubt/Perfectionism creeps in -> More delay -> Fans get antsy....

Not a good cycle to be in.
This is exactly what has happened. The anticipation has been built up for so long that he's worried the update will not be enough/worth the wait for some. It's ready but he's not ready to potentially face negative feedback in his mental state.

Although I do believe the overall reception would be more positive than not, it's inevitable that it won't live up to the wait for some. He would be better off releasing it as is and then taking a proper break to sort himself out. One less weight off his shoulders.

LordDreamWolf

Jan 17, 2020
I don't support BD financially, so I can't complain. Though I am on the dev team of another game on here. So I understand some of the stress BD is under. I agreed he needs to just drop the Update, then take a break for a month or two to rest, refresh, and deal with his grief

PhazeUFO

Sep 28, 2021
This is exactly what has happened. The anticipation has been built up for so long that he's worried the update will not be enough/worth the wait for some. It's ready but he's not ready to potentially face negative feedback in his mental state.

Although I do believe the overall reception would be more positive than not, it's inevitable that it won't live up to the wait for some. He would be better off releasing it as is and then taking a proper break to sort himself out. One less weight off his shoulders.
Ego will do that to you. The main thing people need when they release something to other people is enough humbleness to take whatever criticism that will come. You can't please everyone and there are plenty of people looking to hate.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Back when I was writing regularly my method for avoid paralysis from perfectionism was to deliberately write one part that was bad. Maybe the story would begin with "It was a dark and stormy night" which is the classic bad intro or I'd write ome dialogue that made Anakin's I hate sand speech look like Shakespeare.

Doing this meant perfection was impossible which made it easier to just write.

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
Now get ready for rage over “bru bru” spam or whatever it was. Almost uninstalled the game haha

oh ya i mean it was cute at first but over and over nah I'm good to much Lol Tho im little more upset by the fact i told shauna to call me daddy she says it like twice only and just uses MC name for the rest of the whole scene in the hotel kinda like the baily scene earlier Like why even give the option to pick it if they aren't actually gonna do it?

then agian my game could just be bugged who knows

memegamerfun

Jan 20, 2021
oh ya i mean it was cute at first but over and over nah I'm good to much Lol Tho im little more upset by the fact i told shauna to call me daddy she says it like twice only and just uses MC name for the rest of the whole scene in the hotel kinda like the baily scene earlier Like why even give the option to pick it if they aren't actually gonna do it?

then agian my game could just be bugged who knows
Just name your MC Daddy and problem solved lol

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
So let's summarize it very simply.

BD needs help.
In the meantime, he has looked and found some for his personal problems.
As for the game, it's going to be difficult.
He doesn't need and probably won't want a writer, because it's quite simply his story, which he wants to tell the way he likes it, he doesn't need someone for the graphics or coding side either.

What he could use is someone for "public relations".
Someone who just keeps this crap of eternally crying people off his back.
Someone who tells him that posting so much of your personal life on the internet might not be the best decision either.
The sad irony of the whole thing, he provides his MC with all this help dozens of times in the form of endless girls, and it takes him years to seek even the slightest help for himself...

I hope he eventually finds what he's looking for and that he doesn't lose sight of his own little family with all the shit that's going on in his life.

Last edited:

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
Its impossible to keep everyone happy, the sooner people realise that the better it is for them. idk what is happening in his life but the longer he delays it the more he will feel like that if he really is that worried that the update wont live up to how long its taken.

You need to stick to your vision when it comes to storys, sure you can look at some criticisms regarding different things but if you listen to the outside noise too much it will take you away from where you wanted to go with it. Maybe he is worried that people wont support him anymore if he puts out a bad update or if its not perfect, idk. worrying too much and over analysing everything to the point where you do nothing will hurt way more than 1 bad update.

aaachris

Oct 26, 2019
It's the bootlickers fault. They make you feel like you're not in the ground. They don't hold you accountable.

After 1year of creating renders, you can't be like what's the sequence, order. I don't know which dev makes render without sorting out the story and sequence first.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
It's the bootlickers fault. They make you feel like you're not in the ground. They don't hold you accountable.

After 1year of creating renders, you can't be like what's the sequence, order. I don't know which dev makes render without sorting out the story and sequence first.
Philly makes the renders before he writes, he said so in his Q&A a couple years ago.

I don't get it personally, but it seems like art based developers tend to write around the renders. Whereas story based developers tend to write, then render. Seems backwards to me, so I guess I'd be a story based dev. Not that you can't be both though.

But the key for this kind of style (render -> write) is to have a clear idea of what the scenes are going to be, even if the writing isn't done yet. And that is really hard to do if you run into a block like BD has. He knows what the scenes needs to be... but he can't quite figure it out. So he is tinkering until it seems "right" and that adds to his problems.

Reactions: HeavyMetalSuizid
3.70 star(s) 642 Votes