Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Philly makes the renders before he writes, he said so in his Q&A a couple years ago.

I don't get it personally, but it seems like art based developers tend to write around the renders. Whereas story based developers tend to write, then render. Seems backwards to me, so I guess I'd be a story based dev. Not that you can't be both though.

But the key for this kind of style (render -> write) is to have a clear idea of what the scenes are going to be, even if the writing isn't done yet. And that is really hard to do if you run into a block like BD has. He knows what the scenes needs to be... but he can't quite figure it out. So he is tinkering until it seems "right" and that adds to his problems.
Kinda like movie makers shoot the movie first and made the script and plot afterwards. I think those that make the renders first and then make up the story afterwards kinda kick themselves in the balls if they claim they already got the story made though.

Mar 24, 2018
Kinda like movie makers shoot the movie first and made the script and plot afterwards. I think those that make the renders first and then make up the story afterwards kinda kick themselves in the balls if they claim they already got the story made though.
I'd kinda imagine it being like storyboarding, viasualizing the scene you had in mind before fully writing it. Might help a more artistic dev, although my artistic qualities include occasionally enjoying 3d vaginas and drawing dicks on napkins when hammered, so maybe it doesn't help a dev at all, maybe they just like it.

Reactions: HeavyMetalSuizid

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I'd kinda imagine it being like storyboarding, viasualizing the scene you had in mind before fully writing it. Might help a more artistic dev, although my artistic qualities include occasionally enjoying 3d vaginas and drawing dicks on napkins when hammered, so maybe it doesn't help a dev at all, maybe they just like it.
Storyboard is typical made on a whiteboard that is easy to edit and alter though. Not time consuming rendering. I'm all for creators use make of storyboard, but do it by render scenes that seems awful time consuming and not very practical.

Abhishek_tanwar

Feb 20, 2021
I said a couple years ago (my last post in this thread), and this is probably controversial, but I think this game blowing up the way it did actually hurt BD overall. Sure, it made/makes him a lot of money. But going from a nobody to one of the most popular game developers seemingly overnight puts a huge pressure on someone. Pressure he is now feeling in the midst of a series of personal tragedies.

He didn't have a slower buildup like almost every other developer, including pro's like Pinkcake and Philly had. A lot of people get into making games to make $$$, but having a slower buildup is actually very beneficial. You learn and improve, under lesser pressure, and when/if you do get big, you're prepared for it.

But with BD? Nope. He was a modest dev for a while, when he was doing weekly or bi-weekly releases. Then people subbed. A lot. This thread blowup. Tons of supporters...along with some haters. Some, like myself, who became dissatisfied with the game just quietly left and didn't even get noticed. But along the way, this game became one of the most polarizing on the site. You either love it, or you hate it. This just adds to BD's mental health issues. Figuratively speaking, he was tossed into the fire.

And then you have IRL issues causing even more problems/pressure. So, combine pressure/expectations of thousands of fanboys. And some haters/controversy. And a series of unfortunate IRL issues. Yeah, it gets difficult to say the least. The issues he is dealing with today have been building up for literally most of this games history.

Hopefully he doesn't go down the perfectionist rabbit hole, that pretty much spells doom for this game. As it has for many others. But I also think this is the pressure of expectation manifesting itself. He is experiencing IRL issues -> Update delay -> Fans get antsy -> BD wants to keep his fans happy -> Try's to make the update the best possible -> Self-doubt/Perfectionism creeps in -> More delay -> Fans get antsy....

Not a good cycle to be in.
In my point of view your pov is almost at perfection yet I have some doubts which I will mention.

1. "game blowing - Issue"

Overall I am not agree with this one, Overall all major devs(Dr. pink cake or philly games ect.) gone through same. Their game get biggest audience here, then some of the audience became their supporter. Yet they(Devs) did well and provided update while in progress of updates they provided status update every single week so their supporter have clear view of situation.

=>Pinkcake game got real rise up very fast(acting lesson) _ not to mention blow up in the end.
=>Philly have same faith (Depraved Awakening).

" game blowing up the way it did actually hurt BD overall." : I have doubt on it (It's because I consider BD very mature dev so it's not a problem until it's chosen to be one).

I like to mention : With huge supporter, More option should be available in every way for devs YET somehow everything goes out of windows and there is always some kind of problem(For some devs).

2. "either love it, or you hate it" : That is perfectly said but only because of blind lovers. In past I have criticism for some points about the game and got branded myself troll by some while I love the game. This problem got worsen when an moderator come down with hammer and try to dictate every word you say should be by book of law here.

So outcome was some serious people which have honest opinion in their own way, chose to get out of here in Silence, Same happen 100 times in force in BID thread so some of my friend chose to leave.

3. Perfection : The Idea of perfection is biggest bs in my pov because Perfection doesn't exists. There is always a flaw in anything that existed or will. All I am trying to say is do best and that is all and let people judge.

What I said above, I know my opinion is not in majority here but In the end I wish BD best for his game, life and health.

Shawnchapp

Modder
Feb 13, 2018
That works until the dean starts calling you daddy, then things just get ... weird. :)
also doesn't work later on when the girls stop using "mc name" and only call you baby instead anyways making the "daddy" option pointless and changing MC name pointless its not real issue but fake options annoy me i'd rather the "option" not be there in the first place

memegamerfun

Jan 20, 2021
also doesn't work later on when the girls stop using "mc name" and only call you baby instead anyways making the "daddy" option pointless and changing MC name pointless its not real issue but fake options annoy me i'd rather the "option" not be there in the first place
It was a joke lol

Mar 24, 2018
Storyboard is typical made on a whiteboard that is easy to edit and alter though. Not time consuming rendering. I'm all for creators use make of storyboard, but do it by render scenes that seems awful time consuming and not very practical.
You can push out quick and dirty renders fast enough for storyboarding, and if you have a separate render PC then you can make even higher quality stuff for the same purpose.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
You all seem to be describing the Marvel method where Stan would give an outline to one of his artists, have them create the actual story through pictures, then write the dialogue :unsure:

rudebeggar

Jun 4, 2017
Its impossible to keep everyone happy, the sooner people realise that the better it is for them. idk what is happening in his life but the longer he delays it the more he will feel like that if he really is that worried that the update wont live up to how long its taken.

You need to stick to your vision when it comes to storys, sure you can look at some criticisms regarding different things but if you listen to the outside noise too much it will take you away from where you wanted to go with it. Maybe he is worried that people wont support him anymore if he puts out a bad update or if its not perfect, idk. worrying too much and over analysing everything to the point where you do nothing will hurt way more than 1 bad update.
I think he will lose more support from no updates than a bad update. No one is perfect, Will you stop watching your favorite TV show because of one bad episode? I doubt it. We all deal with life problems differently and none of us live in this guys head but when you get paid then you should do the job as well.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I think he will lose more support from no updates than a bad update. No one is perfect, Will you stop watching your favorite TV show because of one bad episode? I doubt it. We all deal with life problems differently and none of us live in this guys head but when you get paid then you should do the job as well.
If he cancelled the pledges for the duration, he not getting paid anything though. Also, unless you an active supporter that pledge to him using the; "if you get paid you should do the job" argument fall short. If you pirate something for "free" and then get annoyed the creator doesn't release something because he get paid, you come across as a freeloader at best.

Jackie123

May 2, 2018
Why is he taking so long for the next update almost a whole year? its a genuine question because he was always relatively fast with his updates so what happenend exactly?

Reactions: michael1984
3.70 star(s) 642 Votes