SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
All my saves are from new game, started playing last version
There is a different places you can go in Chapter 2 rather than Hartlepool, but I guess Kaelkirk loads for you.

I'm guessing for some reason the Hartlepool load takes so much time your computer gives up on the game (I guess you have it in an HD). Do you have suspension options for HDs not being used on windows settings? (Just a wild guess, but it can be).

For next versions I really need to make the level loading more performant, as there is where more random bugs occurs on low end computers. (Unless you have a very good computer and we're facing a bug here).

Anyway. There is this two users that have this strange problem: screen goes black on Hartlepool and the game keep playing (but it loads) That's a worst and more random problem.

Not loading is a lesser problem.

Is a problem on your end -not for your fault of course, but my fault as the game is not optmized to work on hundreds of different computers and system configurations), and is probably that there is something you can do to fix it (like trying to installing the game on a SSD if you have it or checking what your computer does while playing if you have a second monitor.

ANYWAY, I really need to take a big look into level loading in order to avoid problems for you guys. Probably I'll try new things in next releases (probably in something in the quick release that is coming very soon).

Thanks for reporting ;)

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Such a great game. It really get you interested in the story.
Are words like "sard" some kind of english dialect i didnt knew or is a medieval made up dialect?
Thanks ;)

"Sard" and "Swive" were the historical equivalents to a casual "fuck" now.
For sure in some places and ages.....

I try not to use many old words, just some for a bit of inmersion (specially insults)

Kerelian2004

Sep 8, 2020
Hello,
I get crashes every time I want to return to the 'Travel Map' either from Kaelkirk or Hartlepool.
I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and started the game with 15e.
Crashes happen 100%.
Debug logs attached.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Yeap it seems the problem is still there. Pity I liked this game
Hello,
I get crashes every time I want to return to the 'Travel Map' either from Kaelkirk or Hartlepool.
I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and started the game with 15e.
Crashes happen 100%.
Debug logs attached.
Finally found where the problem for the random and/or 100% times crashes (and may as well be black screen problem (game working but not loading the graphics, specially so low on Vram).

This being my first big game, and not being a professional programmer, never find myself the problem not people with modern/big vram graphics cards, and people with lower specs on the graphic card, yes. The problem has only be able to be very visible to me as the game was even bigger and bigger are more people with low specs cards were playing it.

This is the problem:
Even the if the game only consumes the CPU and RAM focused on the scene you're looking at (generally low), all graphics of a level are loaded on VRAM and Hartlepool for example has 3000 1920x1080 graphics that are directly loaded on your Vram (Bigger the level, bigger the possibility of low end graphics cards to crash the game). And when changing to another level, as I do asyncronic loading in order to make the loading more seamless, there is a moment where the graphics of the two levels collide consuming even more vram. Is like trying to run various high demanding games at the same time, sooner or later, some of them will crash or freeze.

Solution:

With last unity versions, I can load and unload sprites on demmand from VRAM. I've been also talking with the providers of some of the intermediary engines I use to make my engine work and in the future they'll provide automatic ways to handle this in a more automatic form. For the moment I'll start adding those solutions to the more bigger levels first in order to stop giving problems, and eventually all game will be optimized for low Vram eating.

I'll inform about my progress on optimisation, and I'll try at least that 0.19 incorporates those solutions to the more problematic levels.

Kerelian2004

Sep 8, 2020
Hello,

thanks for the quick reply. I guess you are right with the vram problem.
Whenever I wouldn't consider my grafic card GeForce GTX 1660 (6GB) as low end ;)
I monitored GPU memory while provoking a game crash (see picture)
- game start screen 1141 MB GPU
- Hartlepool loaded 4779
- switch to travel map -> crash

It's a pity I have to wait until 0.19 :cry: as I liked the game as a great GOT fan.

Regards,
Kerelian

Skyrim

May 4, 2017
There is a different places you can go in Chapter 2 rather than Hartlepool, but I guess Kaelkirk loads for you.

I'm guessing for some reason the Hartlepool load takes so much time your computer gives up on the game (I guess you have it in an HD). Do you have suspension options for HDs not being used on windows settings? (Just a wild guess, but it can be).

For next versions I really need to make the level loading more performant, as there is where more random bugs occurs on low end computers. (Unless you have a very good computer and we're facing a bug here).

Anyway. There is this two users that have this strange problem: screen goes black on Hartlepool and the game keep playing (but it loads) That's a worst and more random problem.

Not loading is a lesser problem.

Is a problem on your end -not for your fault of course, but my fault as the game is not optmized to work on hundreds of different computers and system configurations), and is probably that there is something you can do to fix it (like trying to installing the game on a SSD if you have it or checking what your computer does while playing if you have a second monitor.

ANYWAY, I really need to take a big look into level loading in order to avoid problems for you guys. Probably I'll try new things in next releases (probably in something in the quick release that is coming very soon).

Thanks for reporting ;)
I have low pc quality. I was well aware it could be difficult playing this game with my pc (2gb ram and a poor basic graphic card), but i love this game and i tried. I reported my problems cause until end of ch1, the game was working for me (and for my low standarded pc). problems appearead with ch2 so I asked if it was a ch2 problem or something related to my previous choise. reading your reply (i'm not a pc expert, tell me if i'm wrong) it's a combinations of 2 things: very high ram required by hartlepool and low skills of my pc

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
It's a pity I have to wait until 0.19 :cry: as I liked the game as a great GOT fan.

Regards,
Kerelian
it's a combinations of 2 things: very high ram required by hartlepool and low skills of my pc
Yes!

Don't worry, I HAVE to fix the problem, a 2d game cannot consume more vram than a tripleA 3d game :p
I'm on it ;)

4.40 star(s) 57 Votes