VN Others Completed Daughter Saga 1 [Ep. 1-5] [Sagas]

2.60 star(s) 25 Votes

paladin07

May 28, 2017
@paladin07

Well, he has a pretty good excuse for making this soap opera wrap up, but Patreon hasn't really warned him yet, has it? Nor has it blocked his site temporarily as it has been doing with many other devs. He hasn't even changed anything on his Patreon page, for fuck's sake! It means that he's still "flying under the radar".

And pretty much all those other devs that were hit, did find a way to continue with some changes and patching and are continuing with their games.
So, to me it still looks like a really convenient and almost perfectly timed excuse to abandon a game that the dev got tired of, because of the worst possible engine, not really because of the Patreon policy change.

I mean, he already mentioned that he tried to switch engines. I'm guessing that he did that some time after he made that mirror scene. He was obviously planning to continue from there, somehow, with a longer wrap up. But he did get tired of finding ways around the limitations of the engine and tried to switch to something better after that, wasted lots of time on it and then decided to drop the whole thing as fast as possible.

I totally understand him, BTW. He just should have switched the engine right after the first version, when all the limitations of the engine and his own abilities to develop this engine became clear. Unfortunately, the fact that I understand him and will not blame him for dropping the game, does not make this wrap up and ultimately the whole game any better.
The fact is, the dev had a good start and made a decent build up - it means he has potential as a story writer and game developer, the game had potential to go bang. But because of the very limited engine that he tried to develop not before but parallel to the game development, instead of using something that is mostly ready to use like Renpy to build the game on, all the potential of the game and its story got wasted, mangled from the start and now dropped half way. And instead of a big bang, there was only a whiny whizz. To call this dirty wrap up to this story an ending is a ginormous overstatement. It is what it is - a fast and dirty wrap up.

I would respect him a lot more if he stopped blowing hot air up our asses about the reason of dropping the game because of Patreon policy change and be a man to admit that Patreon was just an excuse, not the main reason. He has been good at finding nice excuses for all the delays before and now Patreon is a really good excuse for dropping the game half way, but it just doesn't hold up against the facts that I mentioned above, in the beginning of this post.
I've met plenty of guys of that type - they're always good at finding excuses, but you have to be very naive to believe any of them. I mean, they're transparent enough.

I'd suggest him to stop with these schoolboy excuses, man up and tell the truth, earn some respect by doing it.

I mean, I protected him before, when the story was called bad, when the game still had potential. I hoped for the best, that at least some of that potential will be used and the game would still become better and end better.
And now I'm just really disappointed. Mainly because of those weak excuses.
The dev set this up 2B / creation or / update several months ago, so that's sort of in my view eliminates the criticism that they were taking too long to come out with an update. No I don't like it when somebody gives it a release date of end of December and it comes out in the early part of February or any kind of situation like that, but at the same time it's not like he's milking people once a month. And whether or not he actually was hit by petrion is not the point. His game was called daughter Saga he did clean up his page to remove references to daughter and he obviously wanted to wrap up the game before his patri on page was suspended.

Reactions: Sagas and UncleVT

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
So, this is how his looks like after the cleanup? (screen grab of his page from the time of my previous post attached, should his page change now)
Right after he says there, that the games are the adult kind, there's an image "Daddy, can we please cuddle?!" :biggrin:
Does anyone actually think that this, as it is now, won't be hit by the Patreon puritan "police", when some salty cunt decides to report him?

And, as I have said many times before, all the delays were not a problem for me, I had no right to complain about it. Just all these previous excuses without much of an explanation seems to be a pattern of behavior that makes it hard to believe that this abrupt end to this game was mainly caused by the Patreon policy change, while there are still pretty clear indicators on his Patreon page about the nature of the game.
Are you saying that you actually believe this excuse now?

What I'm saying is that I'm not complaining about anything, but that does not mean that I can honestly say that the whole game is complete or any good as it is now, while it actually is missing the main component, main part of a story. I believe I am quite objective about it here. At least I'm trying to be.

Of course, the renders are beautiful and up until the end of the fourth part the story is decent, despite all the limitations of the engine an irrelevance of the limited choices in the game. Up until that part I was ready to say that the game is pretty great for an incomplete game and it had potential to become a pretty great game after it gets properly finished. And I did say that here more than once.
But the last part is just a thin scar tissue on the dogs tail that was chopped off and there's no way to deny this.

I really hope that the dev won't drop the whole game developing gig, because he has potential to make much-much better games. I just hope that he won't try to create his own engine any time soon and starts to make games on Renpy. I wish only good luck to him doing just that.

Too bad that he didn't had wits or experience to know when it was the right time to switch to a better engine and now didn't had patience to pull through with the current one.

Sagas

Game Developer
Sep 6, 2017
@paladin07 Thanks for being supportive and patient. I can imagine it was frustrating for many.

@Penfold Mole
I've read your comments before and they were always refreshing - you'd always indicated you liked the (overall) plot, despite what others were saying.
So it is indeed sad to hear you say that. Does seem like you felt strongly about the ending, and I'm sure a few others did too. It's something I've been dreading for a while, though expected.
Perhaps the "day in the life of dad and sophie" bonus episode that the ending set up, might make up for it, perhaps not.

The patreon situation was definitely demotivating... Also, the engine needed to be redone from the beginning with stats and proper choices in the story and connecting all of that across episodes. Plus all the feedback made me realize issues with the pacing and storytelling that would make it inaccessible to a broader audience. (I still want to explore some of these mysterious themes, but it shouldn't have to be as puzzling as it was) Lots of lessons learned. It made more sense to start fresh with the rules in mind, where incest wasn't the central theme of the game (thus being able to get away with patches for those parts).
Anyhow, I hope you'll give the new one a try when it releases.

Reactions: Masq87
Nov 25, 2017
@Sagas Daughter Saga was my first 3DCG Adult Interactive VN. The payoff sex at the end (even if it was not animated since the renders were great from the start) was fine. I wasn't bothered that my choices did not matter in the episode I was playing as I just considered what happens in the next episode as canon. But having no option to retrace a different choice also felt frustrating. The slow burn of the story was okay but the ending was unsatisfactory. Even though it's been a while since I played episode 4, I felt an incongruity with the story like it was rushed and some plot threads were unresolved.

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
saves and carryover of points would have enhanced the game greatly. i hope he decides it’s a priority and implements it in his new series.

again beautiful and gorgeous renders. but i can live with a weird story as long as there’s saves and your decision points actually have some impact as well as offering some storyline branching to explore.

paladin07

May 28, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That scene ends there no matter what. Later, when you are talking to Alice (the redhead teacher), you have to tell her you do not agree to leave Alexa along. If you say, it's enough, you get a sex scene with Alice. If you say, but no, I don't think its enough (the other option), then Alice basically rejects you and later you get the H scene with Alexa. You have to go for everything to get every H-scene. You can't ever say, "it's late," or "I stop," etc. The only exception is the H scene with Hazel - you can EITHER use a vibrator or fuck her, not both.

lynx33

Jun 7, 2017
@Sagas Here's my attempt at a review and my advice:
- Your renders are 10/10. Stunning. My only objection is the little sister who either should be completely non-sexual or older. Kudos for the rest all looking like consenting adults though. Beautiful game.
- Your story idea, also fantastic. The whole thing drew me in. Really fascinating story. The mystery plot to me was an even bigger deal than the dad-daughter relation.
- Like the liberal usage of daddy, but the daughter maybe got too heavy on it and the kiddie talk.
- Story handling: Not good. I get you trying to be mysterious and not spelling everything out and leaving us wondering a bit, but this was so full of holes, things we definitely needed exposition on and resolution on that we didn't get and characters that seemed important that just disappeared (half the cult, Molly etc)
- Ending: Very, very rushed. Lots of sex scenes, but little resolution to the story and almost none to the cult part.
- Engine and mechanics: Just... no... use unity or renpy. It's admirable that you tried to build one, but it was damn near unplayable because of it. It's a credit to the renders and the initial premise that I battled it through with that engine.

Conclusion: YOu make great renders, you clearly have good story ideas and know how to build suspense, but use and easier engine, don't rush things, try to make a more complete and comprehendable story and stick it through to the end and I will have high hopes for your next project.

Quaszog55

Oct 4, 2017
there's no cuck or NTR shit in the end...
I consider this a saving grace. I would have been so devastated if some non PC would have gotten his hands on Jen or any other girl with no option of joining in. But i second some cuckold / NTR for the wifey that was effectively promised and not delivered (even though i dislike the fetish in general).

But i agree to summarize my pre-posters: To many girls got half story and zero to non pay off / ending. The overall ending was weird as shit. I was ready to start my corruption family all inclusive harem with Alexa and Nikki as headmistress but no... thats why dark lords cannot have nice things... Hell i might have let bro character join because sometimes i am like that.

Constructive criticism @Sagas:

(1) Use renpy, the engine is python based and fully capable of implementing the saga games and gives you a save feature and are easy to use and well documented. Python is well documented and many people use it and renpy.
(2) The renders were superb. Keep rendering!
(3) Do NOT do full renders of every picture in every scene with a lot of static objects. Backgrounds need to be rendered ONCE per scene / camera perspective. Characters can be hovered in front of that. This will keep system resources and game file-size low. AND will cut down rendering time.
(4) Keep the twists but deliver on all the promises.
(5) remake this game with a better engine.

I enjoyed the School Girl Saga game for good renders as well.

Reactions: -Dreamer-

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
I think Sagas should really bring in a story editor to help him break his stories going forward. His renders are some of the best but the weak link is the way his stories fit together. If he had somebody who would tell him x y and z story elements draw the focus away from plot device q and make the story needlessly confusing he could be making something very special.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
If you say, but no, I don't think its enough (the other option), then Alice basically rejects you and later you get the H scene with Alexa.
(emphasis added) That was the part I was missing. Alexa's scene was after the first Hazel scene.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
I really don't want to replay this garbage, but the curiosity is getting the better of me, could anyone give me a quick rundown of how it ends ? To me it looked like it was going down the Bible Black route

paladin07

May 28, 2017
DUDE! You totally ruined the movie ending!

(Actually, I've already seen that movie, so no spoiler for me. You probably want to take that name out for anyone who hasn't seen that movie, though.)
Fight Club came out in 1999. If you haven't seen it yet, I doubt you will. :cool:

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Fight Club came out in 1999. If you haven't seen it yet, I doubt you will. :cool:
I'm still watching movies from 10 years ago, and occasionally some from the 50's too. I bet there's some guy in his 20's who would love Fight Club, and will one day go watch it.

I've always been annoyed by the idea that some movies are "acceptable" to spoil, simply because they were super popular when you were younger and everyone used to know them. So stuff like Titanic, 6th sense, the Usual Suspects, Citizen Kane, etc. For some reason that hasn't happened with books in decades, but it used to be a thing also that you could say "Scarlet Letter" or "the Ghost of Christmas Past" and have everyone know the plot. Intertextuality like that is, in my humble opinion, masturbatory in the public forum (but useful in narrower settings - like "Eric" on this forum).

Slava333

Jun 1, 2017
Hi, like i understand Ep 5 have only One Ending? When game write about all fine and daughter start live with Ryne (forgot name). Where ending with other girls. It look like Unfinished Beta, for me.

2.60 star(s) 25 Votes