MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Yeah that is one we as old players forgot to warn Notty about, since we were already used to it from the past. Sometimes a fresh face sees what is almost impossible to see for those who already know. :p
Yeah, I really haven't been playing these games for long and have avoided freeroam and sandbox games due to how poorly implemented a lot of them are (not talking about this game). Once I figured out what to do I was fine, just took me a moment since the beginning was VN with no requirement to "move" myself around.

:)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
A skip button with a warning of "You can skip or you could go see what the chief is doing". When icons of characters are shown but they brush the player off because they are busy (legitimate or not) it sends the message that it was wrong to go attempt a conversation.
That doesn't happen in Chapter One. When you first look at the map, you see two locations with icons.

One is the bridge, which is inaccessible. That's not the game telling you should not go meet people. That means you (as a passenger) don't have access. That may be simple regulations. In aviation, there is a thing called "sterile cockpit" which among other things means only the flight crew are allowed to be there during critical phases of the flight (take-off/landing). I gather the similar concept applies here. (Perhaps even a bit stricter here since you only get to go to the bridge when someone takes you there).

The only other icon is in Engineering, so I think it's intuitive that would advance the story since you didn't get any other information, and it does. Throughout Chapter One, any location with a character in it that you can go to advances the story.

You can see better how free-roam works on larger scale in Chapter Two.

Reactions: Oddball2k

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
That doesn't happen in Chapter One. When you first look at the map, you see two locations with icons.

One is the bridge, which is inaccessible. That's not the game telling you should not go meet people. That means you (as a passenger) don't have access. That may be simple regulations. In aviation, there is a thing called "sterile cockpit" which among other things means only the flight crew are allowed to be there during critical phases of the flight (take-off/landing). I gather the similar concept applies here.

The only other icon is in Engineering, so I think it's intuitive that would advance the story since you didn't get any other information, and it does. Throughout Chapter One, any location with a character in it that you can go to advances the story.

You can see better how it works on larger scale in Chapter Two.
Yes, but that requires the MC to want to talk to the Chief Engineer, a skip button could be a "get on with it" button. Yes, the player doesn't get a chance to see some content with a character but that's their choice. My MC was all business (he wasn't strict though) in my first playthrough so I thought it would be a good addition to have a skip button or a prompt.

Reactions: Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Yes, but that requires the MC to want to talk to the Chief Engineer, a skip button could be a "get on with it" button. Yes, the player doesn't get a chance to see some content with a character but that's their choice. My MC was all business (he wasn't strict though) in my first playthrough so I thought it would be a good addition to have a skip button or a prompt.
Oh, yes, I agree with the skip button. Chapter Two has it.

I just don't think it's necessary for the game to also tell you to go speak with someone because the icons provide intuitive alternative.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

I just don't think it's necessary for the game to also tell you to go speak with someone because the icons provide intuitive alternative.
Ah, yeah. No that's fine. I was thinking if the skip button couldn't be added then at least a line of narration could prompt anyone who wasn't aware of what to do.

Reactions: Akamari

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017

It seems to me that you two are actually talking about different skip buttons though, the one in Ch.2 is to skip exploration and the one MrFriendly is talking about would be to skip scenes. I haven't tried using the skip button at night in Ch.2 so I don't know if you can skip Annie/Sarah with it but I'm not sure it would be a good idea, Becca warn us to pay attention and if we willingly skip conversations we would be the only one to blame for missing potential important information.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Yes, free-roam, im not even sure i like this term, its more just a "game", i mean in a platformer you can move back and forth... is that free roam? :unsure: Just to me it gives a more "gamey" rather than "novely" feel to the game overall, but of course anytihng needs substance, just the thing that most games here lack, because they are mostly filled with, as you say, grind, which is just to pad the experience, or add a feeling of "accomplishment", some like me feel that as empty, but seems many like it, too :eek:
Yeah, I don't like free roam or sandbox because usually it is a lot of empty rooms that you wander through trying to find where the new content is located. Often the developer will also add time of day to the game so you not only have to find the room where content takes place but also be there at a set time. The larger the map the longer the player has to roam and look for something to do. In this game there are a handful of rooms and it doesn't take long to go through everything, that isn't a problem compared to the games with entire cities with 10 locations and then a house with 12 rooms. If the maps stay small and have the character icons this won't ever be one of those games.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
It seems to me that you two are actually talking about different skip buttons though, the one in Ch.2 is to skip exploration and the one MrFriendly is talking about would be to skip scenes.
Nope, we both mean skip time. In Chapter One you have to talk to each crew member respectively to advance the story. (I suspect I got so used to the routine of talking to them even when I was rushing through to just check certain parts of the chapter, it never occured to me a skip button would be both useful and logical option to progress.) The skip button would move you to the next map screen as it does in Two. That it is not wise to not talk to them because you'll miss a lot of information is indeed another thing. You shouldn't be obliged to do it though. :)

I haven't tried using the skip button at night in Ch.2 so I don't know if you can skip Annie/Sarah with it but I'm not sure it would be a good idea, Becca warn us to pay attention and if we willingly skip conversations we would be the only one to blame for missing potential important information.
You can. Both meetings with Annie or Sarah (or others) are optional. You may also well end up not being invited.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Very true, alot of games are like that, and i think it simply to give the game a false sense of being big and to give more playtime. It certinley isnt fun to click through those 10 rooms for the 123412 time, like in Milfy City etc.. but most of those games have no context at all to it, since they often lack both story and a real "setting"(just generic modern DAZ house or w/e) which makes it even more dull to click through..
My go to example is Indecent Desires, a VN that was ruined by the free roam.

In Heavy Five since it is a confined space we don't have a giant map to try and find characters in. Also the icons let us know that there is someone to talk to in a location. That will eliminate any issue with finding people. Which was my main concern.

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
My go to example is Indecent Desires, a VN that was ruined by the free roam.

In Heavy Five since it is a confined space we don't have a giant map to try and find characters in. Also the icons let us know that there is someone to talk to in a location. That will eliminate any issue with finding people. Which was my main concern.
The map is going to grow though but I'm sure you'll always be able to find the characters easily thanks to the portraits.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
This is actually an interesting discussion, since, almost all games use the Man of the house / milfy city etc way, thats the most common "sand box" VN's... and i dont like those layouts, with "free-roam" i feel its either good if its well made(lots of content, well made areas, easy to navigate etc); but most times its very bad(confusing, lacks any interest, fast becomes a clicker games only to get through etc).. most people immeditly think of these games when you talk of sandbox or free-roam..

Heavy five is doing this very well, another one is another VN game, Aurelia, which is also amazing.
I will have to take a look at that one as well. I waited to play the sci-fi/fantasy games but am trying to explore them now.

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
I can't get past Aurelia's art, granted it's very well made in the style of 90s LucasArts games but that's not what I'm looking for nowadays.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I can't get past Aurelia's art, granted it's very well made in the style of 90s LucasArts games but that's not what I'm looking for nowadays.
Yeah, I downloaded it and played it a bit. It's not my thing, the nostalgia for graphics of that era is fleeting.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Hrm...*was looking at her tags and wondering how complete they were*

Should this game have the transformation tag? Because of the VR stuff? *isn't sure*

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017

Should this game have the transformation tag? Because of the VR stuff? *isn't sure*
I don't think so; on the one hand, if you add it the people looking for that tag might complain because it's only that one scene, but if you don't add it people might complain because you didn't add it.
Also, it's just one scene for comedic value, I don't think it's meant as a serious scene.
Also also, players won't even see it if they decide to go for a bit of CoC! ;)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Yeah, it is not really transformation since you are just playing a game in a game and for one session unless you want it to be more often.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

I'd say no because it doesn't really happen physically, which is what would be assumed with this tag.:unsure:

I'd suggest adding following tags though.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes