F1forhalp

SOTD: Katzenjammer - Hey Ho On The Devil's Back
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
hm about voiced games idk... game types where you can click through really fast will usually go into a mess with the voice trying to cope. it can quickly become cut off all the time or just garbled with the game trying to voice line after line within milliseconds on top of eachother. i'm a very quick reader.
best example off my head i'd say Snow Daze the music of winter: i can read the text of 2 or 3 lines with just a look, click, voice gets chopped by the next line, click, same all over, and so on. result: sound off.

Reactions: Nottravis

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
To be honest, I can't imagine it being better. :unsure: For me voice only in sexual scenes is a negative.
I dislike voice acting in AVNs of any description and would turn it off regardless.

So will make no difference at all to me.

Chris already has a voice in my head, voice acting would simply conflict with it.
I'm ... not really sure how well that would work. The VA would have to be pretty good in order to match the character of Chris, especially in that route. From what I saw, the teasing is at an all time high, with her changing from sensual to commanding then to gentle and so on and so forth, depending on the mood.

If you know someone that you believe could do a good job and you really wish to do it, then by all means, go for it but I would recommend adding voice acting at a later date. From what I know, recording lines can take quite some time, that is if you wish to do this in a professional capacity.
Gotta add my support behind this.

It's weird but VN's are one of the few media where i have a distaste for voiced work largely due to having my own head cannon for how these characters would already sound.
hm about voiced games idk... game types where you can click through really fast will usually go into a mess with the voice trying to cope. it can quickly become cut off all the time or just garbled with the game trying to voice line after line within milliseconds on top of eachother. i'm a very quick reader.
best example off my head i'd say Snow Daze the music of winter: i can read the text of 2 or 3 lines with just a look, click, voice gets chopped by the next line, click, same all over, and so on. result: sound off.
I also usually turn off voices in games (on the rare occasion that there are any), but this time I'm genuinely interested to see what Notty would come up with; just look at the other things Notty's introduced that you don't see in most other games; where else can you get fully fleshed out mini-games that could effectively be games in their own right? Plus, you know the writing would be spot on! ;)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I also usually turn off voices in games (on the rare occasion that there are any), but this time I'm genuinely interested to see what Notty would come up with; just look at the other things Notty's introduced that you don't see in most other games; where else can you get fully fleshed out mini-games that could effectively be games in their own right? Plus, you know the writing would be spot on! ;)
I certainly do a better Rock, Paper, Scissors than another game I could mention... ;)

F1forhalp

SOTD: Katzenjammer - Hey Ho On The Devil's Back
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
was merely pointing out that if you do mentioned voicing, the timing of that will be horror. just imagine auto forward at different speeds in a scene. you can have BGM "just loop" but that won't be a solution in a quality scene voicing. maybe there are some tools for stretching or variable frameskip/shift but i imagine that might sound somewhat awkward..?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
was merely pointing out that if you do mentioned voicing, the timing of that will be horror. just imagine auto forward at different speeds in a scene. you can have BGM "just loop" but that won't be a solution in a quality scene voicing. maybe there are some tools for stretching or variable frameskip/shift but i imagine that might sound somewhat awkward..?
Good point.

I can set the image to last on screen as long as I want. By breaking down the voice script into timed segments I can link the audio and the images presented in sync. Since the domme module is a hands-off affair (well hands off the keyboard/mouse at any rate... ;) ), this shouldn't be a prob - and I can whomp up a test before I hired anyone to check it out.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Good point.

I can set the image to last on screen as long as I want. By breaking down the voice script into timed segments I can link the audio and the images presented in sync. Since the domme module is a hands-off affair (well hands off the keyboard/mouse at any rate... ;) ), this shouldn't be a prob - and I can whomp up a test before I hired anyone to check it out.
you can whomp me up anytime Notty! ANY TIME........ ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nottravis

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Even if by some miracle the voice actress that does the role isn't terrible, I still can't envision an outcome I would be happy with. Because, if it's good, then...

1) ...it's a shame it happens only in this path and only during the sessions. As fun as the domme minigame is, I find the romance route with Chris far more interesting.

2) ...it's a shame she's the only main character with a voice.

I just don't see a scenario where I wouldn't turn it off because it is disruptive one way or another to the whole game experience. I'd love to play Heavy Five with quality voice acting, but it would have to be done properly on a much larger scale, and that of course isn't plausible (yet) because it'd be enormously costly (and time consuming).

Last edited:

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I'm not doubting Notty's ability.
I just can't with VN's. I've tried and it usually horrible clashes with what i think they should sound like.

As an example for this game

For me Annie is a mix of a girl i used to know named Laura (depsite not being asian) for pitch and tone, and Scotty from Star Trek as far as speaking patterns go.

Similar story for Chadwick...With that name i don't envision her being American. I think South African or British but not a hard Cockney accent. With a stern tone like Scarlet Johannson's Black Widow.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I totally get where you guys are coming from. Really. I think part of the problem is I'm being so bloody opaque about what it is it'll entail as I don't want to spoil it. But that of course means you don't have enough information to make a judgement.

Maybe if I do a version for the testers voiced by me? Then they'd have a better idea of the concept? I dunno. It does seem as it's not something anyone is really keen on.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I totally get where you guys are coming from. Really. I think part of the problem is I'm being so bloody opaque about what it is it'll entail as I don't want to spoil it. But that of course means you don't have enough information to make a judgement.

Maybe if I do a version for the testers voiced by me? Then they'd have a better idea of the concept? I dunno. It does seem as it's not something anyone is really keen on.

I don't know. I say if you want to try something, go for it, especially since when you have an idea, it usually turns out to be a bloody good one. As long as it doesn't become too much in terms of finance, effort or time.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020

Notty,
I have total faith, and to demonstrate total commitment, I volunteer to listen to your voice as much as you wish in any way you wish......
For the good of the cause... deriving no pleasure from it at all..... just dedicated to the cause....
yeah...... that's me! taking the hit for the team!
<3

LoganP

Nov 21, 2017

I agree with the others, don't think I would prefer any voice acting. Much more interested in getting some actual hands on content. Loved the idea of losing bets and having a forfeit to pay. Just waiting for some spanking/bondage/anal to show up in that storyline.

However, it's your game and your vision. If you have something you're that keen on trying out... Then you should 100% try it with your testers, I think that's an excellent idea. None of us know any more than you how it's gonna go. It might as well be the next big thing or a swing and a miss. You'll never know without trying and you definitely seem to want to scratch that itch and then you should.

You write a very captivating story (maybe a bit long without a "reward" in the above mentioned one), and I wish you good luck!

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
While I'm personally not a fan of recorded voices in games in general, I still think that it could work great in this particular case.

Chris' domme path isn't really my thing but I tried it out just to see the mechanics and I must say that I really liked how it all works out. I do however believe, that a sensual voice would improve it even further. And by quite a bit at that.

The main trick would of course be to find an appropriate voice actress. And perhaps you could add an option to turn the voice off to make everyone happy?

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Good point.

I might be the only one doing this but the first thing I do whenever I try a new game is change auto-forward time to max. So the Chris-Domme path wasn't working well at all for me until I realized why. In some cases (I think it was when "Chris said let's look at some pictures") it took literally minutes before it'd auto-advance.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I might be the only one doing this but the first thing I do whenever I try a new game is change auto-forward time to max. So the Chris-Domme path wasn't working well at all for me until I realized why. In some cases (I think it was when "Chris said let's look at some pictures") it took literally minutes before it'd auto-advance.
*put a warning screen up and everything!* ;)

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes