EllaKrael

Aug 9, 2017
*beams proudly* I know, right? :)

The odd thing is I have no idea why! Well, I mean, yes I know what I've done to change them of course - but just not sure why it's suddenly clicked. Probs an accumulation of this, that and the other that I've learned on individual scenes (especially from the work on Four) that I'm now able to apply to the earlier stuff. But, I'll be honest, I'm surprising myself with some of them.

There is also a little sense of "Fuck it. Let's just see how good I can make it and sod the time" which is helping as I spend more time of set dressing etc.

But here's the odd thing. I'm rendering faster too. Those two examples? The first basic one took 40 minutes. The complex one only around 25. I suspect it's the impact of lighting. Certainly the "Lounge of doom" is no quite so "doomy." It used to take nearly two hours to do a lounge scene. Now, without chars, closer to 30 minutes.

With Daz, lighting is absolutely sodding everything...
The first thing I noticed was the stomachs, in the older render they look very plastic and unnatural and in the new one they seem more real (softer/rounder maybe?). Like the skin would actually respond (stretch or give a little) if you touched/stroked or poked it, rather than not budge or break your fingers like you poked a plastic wall.

Not that I would recommend stroking or poking Chris as it may end with broken fingers even with her more touchable appearance...

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
The first thing I noticed was the stomachs, in the older render they look very plastic and unnatural and in the new one they seem more real (softer/rounder maybe?). Like the skin would actually respond (stretch or give a little) if you touched/stroked or poked it, rather than not budge or break your fingers like you poked a plastic wall.

Not that I would recommend stroking or poking Chris as it may end with broken fingers even with her more touchable appearance...
*nods nods nods nods!* Yeppers. Exactly :)

It's just one of those little things which, if I'm honest, I didn't even think anyone would notice - but my goal on the reskinning was to make them as lifelike as possible.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
You make me feel absolutely pathetic at this, the more I see, the more worry about how bad my stuff is going to look when I get that far... XD
Practice, practice and then hope you have some innate talent as well. Part of it is likely getting to know your tools, where with Daz it is likely you need to know more to start as with paint and canvas, but at a certain moment it is things like perspective, composition, lighting and the ability to add your own touch to your renders or painting that makes the difference. When you can do last people will like your renders or not based on their taste.

Just remember that my stuff, now in retrospect, was awful - and people still liked it. Some of the earlier reviews actually gave me little nods of praise on the graphics.

What you're seeing here is not that the old graphics were bad - just that the new ones are so much better.
Halleluja, seems Notty finally has seen the light:p I just refer you to the last part of this post.
https://f95zone.to/threads/heavy-five-ch-3-v1-2-nottravis.23184/post-2475865

The first thing I noticed was the stomachs, in the older render they look very plastic and unnatural and in the new one they seem more real (softer/rounder maybe?). Like the skin would actually stretch or give a little if you touched/stroked or poked it, rather than not budge or break your fingers like you poked a plastic wall.

Now where would be the fun in it if you do not do those things and there was no danger at all? :p Besides I have no intention to hit her at my full strenth with my fingertips and outstretched fingers, just some nice massaging and such:p

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Practice, practice and then hope you have some innate talent as well. Part of it is likely getting to know your tools, where with Daz it is likely you need to know more to start as with paint and canvas, but at a certain moment it is things like perspective, composition, lighting and the ability to add your own touch to your renders or painting that makes the difference. When you can do last people will like your renders or not based on their taste.
I do practice, though I have been stuck in Blender for a while now and have barely progressed beyond character design in daz, but I have no talent, and lighting is a nightmare so far... :p

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I do practice, though I have been stuck in Blender for a while now and have barely progressed beyond character design in daz, but I have no talent, and lighting is a nightmare so far... :p
Well with the exception of a few people like me that really have no talent for it or are just lazy, it is more likely that you just need a better grounding in the techniques. Just a regular art class might help lots, since the way to achieve the results might be different, but the underlying principles are not. I suspect Notty having had to watch movies for a month, while in her mind being busy with composition and lighting might have indeed helped her and given her ideas of what she wanted to accomplish.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Practice is good and all. You always hear people say "just practice" when you wanna get good at something. But when you don't know what to practice exactly, where to start, it's not very useful advice.

You could be practicing something useless, or wrong, or just not understand it. That's usually my problem when I'm stuck trying to learn something new.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Practice is good and all. You always hear people say "just practice" when you wanna get good at something. But when you don't know what to practice exactly, where to start, it's not very useful advice.

You could be practicing something useless, or wrong, or just not understand it. That's usually my problem when I'm stuck trying to learn something new.
Because people telling you to "just practice" are wrong by omission. Practice, but not just by yourself. Either work under a master, or follow a course. For very talented people, instinct could be sufficient, but we all usually learn by watching others do stuff AND training.

Then, it just clicks. All the training you've been doing until then suddenly becomes the foundation for your new work because now you understand how it works and you don't even comprehend how you could not get it at first. It seems so natural.

I believe Notty is in this state now :)

Freezer14

Dec 10, 2017
*peeks in quickly as in a rush*

Yeppers, Chadwick files be around 1pm my time.

Also....from this....
View attachment 418487
*incredibly I re-rendered this one back in June as I didn't like the lighting on the version I'd made in March....

To this...
View attachment 418489

Nottravisgames: TOTALLY fucking remastering the shit out of everything!
Man, these continue to look great. Seems like every time I return to the thread I've got something to look forward to, and eight or more pages of praise to echo. Nothing I can say hasn't been said before, but this is just looking better and better, and I get even more excited for the re-releases.

I'm still unsure of my feelings on Kelly, but my goodness, if she doesn't look amazing here. Same absolutely goes for Chris.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well with the exception of a few people like me that really have no talent for it or are just lazy, it is more likely that you just need a better grounding in the techniques. Just a regular art class might help lots, since the way to achieve the results might be different, but the underlying principles are not. I suspect Notty having had to watch movies for a month, while in her mind being busy with composition and lighting might have indeed helped her and given her ideas of what she wanted to accomplish.
Classes, that's funny. Youtube is about the limit for my budget. Part of it is finding the right assets, the last bar I tied to use was designed for Poser and 3Delight, not Iray, so I had to replace all the lights and everything was washed out and/or too dark, sometimes at the same time... it was a blurry mess. Might just have to make my own sets too... The last bathroom I set up where I made the room itself came out pretty well...
Because people telling you to "just practice" are wrong by omission. Practice, but not just by yourself. Either work under a master, or follow a course. For very talented people, instinct could be sufficient, but we all usually learn by watching others do stuff AND training.

Then, it just clicks. All the training you've been doing until then suddenly becomes the foundation for your new work because now you understand how it works and you don't even comprehend how you could not get it at first. It seems so natural.

I believe Notty is in this state now :)
Depending on your engineering skills, just fucking with something can yield results, and while studying under someone can teach you some things more quickly, it might stick with you better if you figure it out on your own.

For example, I tried following some Blender tutorials, and while I learned a lot, and made some decent things, it was not until I just started really trying things on my own, that things really clicked and now the tutorials make more sense... XD

Though as far as a teacher goes, you also need to find a good one, we don't all learn the same way, so you need someone who can teach in a way that works for you.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Um...*makes it up as she goes along...*

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes