cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Here's a little teaser for a minor feature I was able to sneak into the 0.39 update (which focuses on the Fairy Queen):
will you fix that black bar thing someday? i think you said originally no but it's bit irritating.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
will you fix that black bar thing someday? i think you said originally no but it's bit irritating.
All the bugs and issues with the map are fixed in 0.39, including that one.

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
Damn it this game is getting on my nerves, where is Samarra so I can train Agility, I check every damn day at the train grounds at all times, nothing. Bout ready to drop it, hate this grinding stuff. Only Corrupted Kingdoms made did it well enough that I found it ok.

Bev_

Nov 17, 2018
Damn it this game is getting on my nerves, where is Samarra so I can train Agility, I check every damn day at the train grounds at all times, nothing. Bout ready to drop it, hate this grinding stuff. Only Corrupted Kingdoms made did it well enough that I found it ok.
Well i didn't play it for a long time, but Isn't agility tought by Nell in stables?

Edit: nvm. I've checked it. I think Samarra should be at the lower training grounds, in the morning.

Last edited:

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
Well i didn't play it for a long time, but Isn't agility tought by Nell in stables?
They are never there either. Nevermind. I got rid of it, I found the story interesting at start, but honestly tired of these grind games. It's their way to pad stuff out. I've just realized I honestly hate the mechanic...with a passion.

Reactions: Allan Trumbull

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
They are never there either. Nevermind. I got rid of it, I found the story interesting at start, but honestly tired of these grind games. It's their way to pad stuff out. I've just realized I honestly hate the mechanic...with a passion.
Grinding doesn't mean what you think it means. Seriously, people misusing that word is one of my big pet peeves. This game does not feature grinding and never will, no matter how many times you say otherwise. It was one of my most fundamental design principles from the moment I started designing it.

Sorry to see you drop the game, though. If you had stopped thinking about the nonexisting grind, you might have gotten out of your routine and tried approaching the problem in a different way. Clearly, you were not going to the lower training grounds in the mornings as much as you claim you did, because Samarra is there almost every day. I should know. I programmed her damn routine. The only times she really breaks that routine is during the one week before the big Primrose event, during which she and Nell will spend the occasional morning in the library. Apart from that, she's at the training grounds every. Single. Day. (until a certain late-game event, anyway. But you're not there yet)

For what it's worth, the next update shows icons on the map to reveal the location of characters, taking some of the guesswork out of the equation.

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
Grinding doesn't mean what you think it means. Seriously, people misusing that word is one of my big pet peeves. This game does not feature grinding and never will, no matter how many times you say otherwise. It was one of my most fundamental design principles from the moment I started designing it.

Sorry to see you drop the game, though. If you had stopped thinking about the nonexisting grind, you might have gotten out of your routine and tried approaching the problem in a different way. Clearly, you were not going to the lower training grounds in the mornings as much as you claim you did, because Samarra is there almost every day. I should know. I programmed her damn routine. The only times she really breaks that routine is during the one week before the big Primrose event, during which she and Nell will spend the occasional morning in the library. Apart from that, she's at the training grounds every. Single. Day. (until a certain late-game event, anyway. But you're not there yet)

For what it's worth, the next update shows icons on the map to reveal the location of characters, taking some of the guesswork out of the equation.
But I was. That's the thing, I specifically checked for a week straight Morning to Night. Because I wanted my agility to go up so I could follow my sister. So don't tell me what I was experiencing(I was even checking the stables). I know what I saw, I know my frustration. Never assume what someone was doing, my F'ng OCD wouldn't let me do otherwise, cuz I wanted to follow my sister, my damn agility was not high enough. So it stuck in my mind to get trained, they never showed. To grind is to repeat the same action and over to gain something, which is slang in the game world.

So would you prefer repetition? I am forced into repeating same things over & over at varying degrees of difficulty to gain perceived reward. Be it, pay X coins, Mind Fuck someone X times, Steal X panties, etc.... It's still a repeated process on the same activity over & over again. I personally get very very tired of stuff like that. Blame it on MMO Fatigue. I have the mind to do that stuff, I just hate doing it.

I was here for the story, not the repetitive mini games. I found the story interesting enough to move me forward through initial mini games. But my dislike of mini games halted me. This my experience, opinion, & feelings on the matter. Maybe I'll give it one more shot later down the road, once I've burnt through other 100+ Novella Games I have DL'd. We'll see. I'm not taking away from your skill to interest me in a story, I just disliked the process of doing same things over & over like a lab rat hoping to get that treat at the end.

Last edited:

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
But I was. That's the thing, I specifically checked for a week straight Morning to Night. Because I wanted my agility to go up so I could follow my sister. So don't tell me what I was experiencing(I was even checking the stables). I know what I saw, I know my frustration. Never assume what someone was doing, my F'ng OCD wouldn't let me do otherwise, cuz I wanted to follow my sister, my damn agility was not high enough. So it stuck in my mind to get trained, they never showed.
As I said (in different words), you got so stuck in the "this is grind" mindset that you never popped your head outside your bubble. During a set period of days just before the Primrose event, Samarra and Nell will be at the library in the mornings. Most importantly in your case is the fact that they'll keep going there every morning until you actually interact with them (or the event starts).

A grind is the repetition of a task over and over to improve stats. LLtP doesn't feature that kind of thing. And yet, you kept repeating the same mindless action over and over again with unchanging results, blaming the game when nothing changed. Did you ever stop to think that maybe you're seeing a grind because you expect one, not because there is actually one there?

Never blame others for your own mistakes. In your defense, there isn't really anything calling out the fact that Samarra and Nell are at the library at this stage of the game (until the next version where you will see them on the map), but the game expects you to move around and try different things (ie. not grind), and in the process, you would have inevitably stumbled upon them. But to just keep hammering your head against the wall and then blame the game for it? Nah, that's not cool. The game never asked you to do such a thing. You created that grind for yourself.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
So would you prefer repetition? I am forced into repeating same things over & over at varying degrees of difficulty to gain perceived reward. Be it, pay X coins, Mind Fuck someone X times, Steal X panties, etc.... It's still a repeated process on the same activity over & over again. I personally get very very tired of stuff like that. Blame it on MMO Fatigue. I have the mind to do that stuff, I just hate doing it.

I was here for the story, not the repetitive mini games. I found the story interesting enough to move me forward through initial mini games. But my dislike of mini games halted me. This my experience, opinion, & feelings on the matter. Maybe I'll give it one more shot later down the road, once I've burnt through other 100+ Novella Games I have DL'd. We'll see. I'm not taking away from your skill to interest me in a story, I just disliked the process of doing same things over & over like a lab rat hoping to get that treat at the end.
You added this part after my reply. I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not interested in what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway.

You have a highly skewed and incorrect view of what constitutes "grind" and "repetition" in games. "Pay X coins" is not repetition nor grind, especially since the game is set up so that you are likely to have the money you need by the time you reach an option UNLESS you have specifically attempted to grind something without variety. The game is teaching you not to do those things, so you ignore that lesson at your own peril. The payments are not there to pad the game but to pace it. By putting in a payment gate, I increase the odds that you'll see events in a certain order. That is their entire purpose. Besides, the events that give you money are deliberately designed to not be repetitive. Callie's store has a large number of different events for you to see while earning money, sometimes even throwing you for a loop with them. The library has fewer events but opens up for you to achieve other things, such as doing research for quests, while earning your money, meaning that you're not working there for the money alone but because it is part of what you want to achieve anyway. You see new things every time. Hunting, the most repetitive of the tasks, is that way because it's meant to be so rewarding in terms of money (and expensive in terms of actions) that you'll only do it two or three times per playthrough. In other words, not a grind, nor repetitive in practice.

"Fuck someone X times?" When does the game tell you to do this? When does it gate anything behind that requirement? If you're going to criticize the game to the creator's face, at least don't lie about it.

"Steal X panties" is disingenuous. You are asked to obtain specific panties, each of which you get in different ways from different people, with no repetition. And you only need three of them throughout your entire playthrough. If this is repetitive to you, I dread to imagine how you get through your workday.

Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here, which means I agree with your final "etc..." in that you would continue to list things that are not grinds nor repetitive.

As for your paragraph about minigames... huh? What? Minigames? LLtP doesn't feature minigames. The definition of a minigame is "a short videogame usually contained inside another videogame." Gameplay mechanics are not videogames. If you don't like the gameplay mechanics, then move right along. I don't like sports games. That doesn't mean I'm going to pop into a forum thread about a sports game and criticize it for being a sports game. That would only reflect poorly on myself.

I get that you're annoyed. I have those days myself sometimes where a game will piss me off for no reason. At those times, I take a step away from the keyboard and do something else. On such days, it will only get worse if I keep going. But you're blaming the game, and by extension, me, for your own failures. And to that, I can only say one thing: the door is over there. Feel free to slam it on your way out.

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
You added this part after my reply. I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not interested in what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway.

You have a highly skewed and incorrect view of what constitutes "grind" and "repetition" in games. "Pay X coins" is not repetition nor grind, especially since the game is set up so that you are likely to have the money you need by the time you reach an option UNLESS you have specifically attempted to grind something without variety. The game is teaching you not to do those things, so you ignore that lesson at your own peril. The payments are not there to pad the game but to pace it. By putting in a payment gate, I increase the odds that you'll see events in a certain order. That is their entire purpose. Besides, the events that give you money are deliberately designed to not be repetitive. Callie's store has a large number of different events for you to see while earning money, sometimes even throwing you for a loop with them. The library has fewer events but opens up for you to achieve other things, such as doing research for quests, while earning your money, meaning that you're not working there for the money alone but because it is part of what you want to achieve anyway. You see new things every time. Hunting, the most repetitive of the tasks, is that way because it's meant to be so rewarding in terms of money (and expensive in terms of actions) that you'll only do it two or three times per playthrough. In other words, not a grind, nor repetitive in practice.

"Fuck someone X times?" When does the game tell you to do this? When does it gate anything behind that requirement? If you're going to criticize the game to the creator's face, at least don't lie about it.

"Steal X panties" is disingenuous. You are asked to obtain specific panties, each of which you get in different ways from different people, with no repetition. And you only need three of them throughout your entire playthrough. If this is repetitive to you, I dread to imagine how you get through your workday.

Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here, which means I agree with your final "etc..." in that you would continue to list things that are not grinds nor repetitive.

As for your paragraph about minigames... huh? What? Minigames? LLtP doesn't feature minigames. The definition of a minigame is "a short videogame usually contained inside another videogame." Gameplay mechanics are not videogames. If you don't like the gameplay mechanics, then move right along. I don't like sports games. That doesn't mean I'm going to pop into a forum thread about a sports game and criticize it for being a sports game. That would only reflect poorly on myself.

I get that you're annoyed. I have those days myself sometimes where a game will piss me off for no reason. At those times, I take a step away from the keyboard and do something else. On such days, it will only get worse if I keep going. But you're blaming the game, and by extension, me, for your own failures. And to that, I can only say one thing: the door is over there. Feel free to slam it on your way out. I added more after fact, because my brain goes a mile a minute, takes me a min or 3 for me to go back and clear my thoughts and get more of what's in my head out. So again with this, I have edited it. I find point of making mini posts to be annoying, when I can speak what I need in the original, even if that requires an edit.
Your skewing it to your narrative. I said MIND Fuck someone aka your powers. You have to repeat the process over & over for secrets for the Crone, so you can learn more magic. These are minigame quest mechanics.

You assume people are going follow the path you feel they should follow. Never ASSUME. Folks think/play/interact differently. I'm type of a person who sees an objective I want, I'll focus on that to get it. I wanted that agility period. You are blaming me for not playing your game the way you feel it should be played and that is your fault, not mine. I don't think like you, thus how can I play it the way you feel it should be played.

Not repetitive. lol, look up the definition. Hey go Mind fuck that 1 person, oh you did? do it 3 more times...oh you did? Give me 15 copper and do it 6 times, whats next 12 times and X coin? That is an example of repetition.

I get it you feel like I'm personally attacking your work and you need to throw up your defenses. I'm not, I'm explaining what I dislike & why. I still found story of interest, mechanics far less.

Last edited:

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
Most importantly in your case is the fact that they'll keep going there every morning until you actually interact with them (or the event starts).
Haven't played in a while but I remember that you had to go to the reading room to trigger the interaction. If you just went to the library, worked and then went on trying to find clues for Evelyn's or Callie's secrets, you wouldn't even notice that something's not right

JJDrakken

Oct 28, 2021
Another example, the Dryad. I'll train you...no I wont, sorry your magic dick isn't big enough. Go back and get your magic dick bigger by doing all the MIND FUCKING stuff over & over with higher requirements. Then we'll talk. That's a mini game, mechanic, grind, etc.. whatever you wanna label it.

Going go hunt a boar, naw dog you can't cuz you gotta get this other skill up. Uhhg, why give me the damn thing in the first place. Ok, lets try do that, naw dog you can't do that, you gotta do this other thing to get your skill up...seriously. Lets get Panties, lets wander around looking for clues, lets finger their brain so I can figure out this will work, well there went my day.

Lets try this again & again & again & again & again... Maybe I got the "week" that people are not to be were they are suppose to be. I gave up and started reading books to hopefully raise stats, cuz the pixie like. You gotta be perverted more, finally got the books back, read the books...nothing is raising. -throws hands in air and just gives up-

4.60 star(s) 377 Votes