VN Ren'Py Tainted Heritage - a.k.a Weird Shit Is Going to Happen [v0.7.1] [recreation]

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Ask why update to ren py 8 ++++ ? why not make it with it to end?
Because renpy 7 is pretty outdated and support for it will cease soon. It also uses an old python version and misses a lot of features that exist in 8.
The game is a wip, so even if I try my best to keep save compability it's never a given in the first place.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
Apart from that, the VN is simply under development. It may be a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but I'm pretty sure I remember that every major update to Baldur's Gate 3 also broke the saves. So it's nothing very unusual at all, I think.

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
No, he explained himself pretty clearly... unlike your message you just posted! RenPY 7 support will END SOON. That means, it will be RenPY 8 sooner or later and that means switching over to it and making any nessecary adjustments. It has a MUCH better version of Python which is more up to date = less bugs and more features. That's how ALL software development goes! I did it myself with a game I created and updated over the years (from around 2000 to 2018) and I went through A LOT of changes in the software I used (not RenPY or Python though). You want your software to be as bug free as possible and this is one way to do it.

I personally switched to RenPY 8 (actually 8.1.3 now, Python v3) and it runs well, didn't have to change a thing... but then my project is fairly simple at the moment.

You can keep your cum burger. :LOL:
ok was only me how has understanding problems. I was see it at like Handy ap update... but ok Win 7 is since 3.5 act ac ta . So make sense more but why not use to end? when it was run before?

Reactions: Night Hacker

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
ok was only me how has understanding problems. I was see it at like Handy ap update... but ok Win 7 is since 3.5 act ac ta . So make sense more but why not use to end? when it was run before?
Well, developers tend to change as they go. As the software is updated, they change. At least good developers do. It will happen sooner or later, it's always best to get the update over with so you can continue on with developing and ensure it is as bug free for people who play it as possible.

So you understand, RenPY and Python is what the games are programmed with. RenPY version 8 done a HUGE upgrade to Python version 3. RenPY 7 used Python 2, so that's a major version change. The newer version of Python will have many bugs fixed and improvements, you want him using it so your gaming experience can be as problem free as possible. RenPY is already up to 8.1.3, so it's best to stay up to date and not fall behind so you can correct any coding you need to so it all complies with the newer version.

Again, it helps prevent problems in the long run to keep things up to date. If you DO have issues, I'm sure he would be happy to deal with them if he can. If you're respectful and polite of course. ;)

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Well, developers tend to change as they go. As the software is updated, they change. At least good developers do. It will happen sooner or later, it's always best to get the update over with so you can continue on with developing and ensure it is as bug free for people who play it as possible.

So you understand, RenPY and Python is what the games are programmed with. RenPY version 8 done a HUGE upgrade to Python version 3. RenPY 7 used Python 2, so that's a major version change. The newer version of Python will have many bugs fixed and improvements, you want him using it so your gaming experience can be as problem free as possible. RenPY is already up to 8.1.3, so it's best to stay up to date and not fall behind so you can correct any coding you need to so it all complies with the newer version.

Again, it helps prevent problems in the long run to keep things up to date. If you DO have issues, I'm sure he would be happy to deal with them if he can. If you're respectful and polite of course. ;)
I think Bse want to know why recreation didn't go with RenPy 8 from the start.
One can find good reasons. Like RenPy 8 wasn't available when recreation start the project. Or perhaps his computer or OS wasn't compatible with RenPy 8 at the time.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I think Bse want to know why recreation didn't go with RenPy 8 from the start.
One can find good reasons. Like RenPy 8 wasn't available when recreation start the project. Or perhaps his computer or OS wasn't compatible with RenPy 8 at the time.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Huh? This game has been out far longer than RenPY 8 has! The release date for it was June 26, 2022. This thread has been around since 2019!!! LMAO.

But WHY must WE always be the ones to do the research on this?! It took me a few seconds to look at the date this thread was started, and then the date RenPY 8 was released... quit being so damned lazy and making demands! Yeesh!

Reactions: Bse and torresm

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
But WHY must WE always be the ones to do the research on this?! It took me a few seconds to look at the date this thread was started, and then the date RenPY 8 was released... quit being so damned lazy and making demands! Yeesh!
Sure.
But WHY doing stuff when others can do it for ME?
:)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my hammock, resuming my nap, improving my tan while sipping a cocktail...
SH!T!!! I forget, I'm living in Canada, there snow on the ground and it's near 0 Celsius... Can't even be a lazy ass :ROFLMAO:

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
Huh? This game has been out far longer than RenPY 8 has! The release date for it was June 26, 2022. This thread has been around since 2019!!! LMAO.

Yeah why not take it to the end with Renpy it was starting with????? now we have month waiting only for upadte to new Vision with rendering problems in cpu use... So i dont get why all upadte renpy like a fucking handy app. Some say it is more stable yeah more stable on 2 years old heard wear and sell your self 10or 11 cool now dev´s think all have the new trash heartwear and softwear? cool. And the other sell your data and make mx 4k a month even better ? so what is say is why you do it?

Bse

Aug 1, 2019

I did not mean it like what . It is you start a game with xxx and in mid you chance it even if game was stable... So why bug fix when it was not need? only to be up to date?

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
Because renpy 7 is pretty outdated and support for it will cease soon. It also uses an old python version and misses a lot of features that exist in 8.
The game is a wip, so even if I try my best to keep save compability it's never a given in the first place.
Old don´t mean to be bad. When you had new hardware 2 years old or so ok for update but you start it when? so why use render slow motion what is make with upadte to use more CPU when GPU so normal a Decoding is use 10- 20 % Cpu and 50 and maybe more GPU but new Renpy don´t do it. I have Animation or rendering with 2 FPS in a minute and 100% cpu use and my GPU ask me can i go into sleep mode? So nice Update? Or not? New Fet. ok bug fix ok ut this render error it is not good. Give me feeling about yeah i dont care... if you get what i mean. Nothing against you. but i dont get left the feeling about it.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Bse, you may not know, but changing the version of Renpy makes no difference regarding the images, animation, CPU usage, etc, etc. It is just a tool the developer uses for the coding, everything else is the same.

As to why it was needed, why do you upgrade your computer? Are you still running Windows XP? Sure, its fine to run something legacy for awhile, but eventually newer and newer features and updates occur, leaving you behind as a developer, and you feel like you have to bite the bullet and switch.

It seems like it didn't really cause any major delays anyway, so not sure why it is an issue. As far as old saves, it's not like WSIGTH is a grindy sandbox. It took me maybe 15 to 20 minutes to get back to where I was from the beginning, and it reminded me of several character interactions and plot points I had forgotten. I enjoyed replaying it at fast speed.

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
Bse, you may not know, but changing the version of Renpy makes no difference regarding the images, animation, CPU usage, etc, etc. It is just a tool the developer uses for the coding, everything else is the same.

As to why it was needed, why do you upgrade your computer? Are you still running Windows XP? Sure, its fine to run something legacy for awhile, but eventually newer and newer features and updates occur, leaving you behind as a developer, and you feel like you have to bite the bullet and switch.

It seems like it didn't really cause any major delays anyway, so not sure why it is an issue. As far as old saves, it's not like WSIGTH is a grindy sandbox. It took me maybe 15 to 20 minutes to get back to where I was from the beginning, and it reminded me of several character interactions and plot points I had forgotten. I enjoyed replaying it at fast speed.
1. why no upagrade to Linux or sell yourself 10/11. Some USa bomb some away and may same to buy new is gone. Last year 2,5 K more for flat this year maybe 3 or 4 K more for same use... so money problem? maybe Way do you think i am a pirate and dl for free? Or why i am on black list for bet and firax games or steam ???? Oh why ? because i dont pay for a fucking game with Include dlc in it only to use it with dlc and yep were catch me... poor me for i was online ... stupid was it. but hey i cant make Mods anymore . Ck dont work and other shit. THX Steam. so why should i sell myself to steam how is Hd index take and sell search and even give me Cloud fuck to take down Site? take me 5 years to get ride of cloude. So be my guest to sell yourself. I do not do.

tyrannicpuppy

Nov 9, 2021
Rec has explained why they changed versions. It makes no difference to how you play the game but makes their life easier when developing it.

And it is done and dusted now. It barely affected any players beyond having to replay. Something that often happens with in-progress VNs anyway. The cost of playing something actively in development. And it's highly unlikely to ever happen again, as I doubt they'll be shipping Renpy 9 anytime soon and I don't think the story has legs enough to last out that far into the future.

So I really don't get why you're moaning so much about a change that has already happened, isn't going to be reversed and won't affect your enjoyment any more than it already has. It's over. Time to move on with our lives.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Granma came back from visiting Aunty Mabel in the Big City and she was enraged. As she walked up the orchard path she pulled me out of the pear tree and dragged me by the ear into the kitchen.

“As I was crossing South Bridge I heard Troll like echoes which sounded very much like you!” she said in a quiet and dangerous tone “What have I told you about playing with the Duh’mu boy!” whilst fishing the butter paddle out of the drawer she continued “you are lucky that Bse’s ululations drowned out your feeble attempts and no one will have noticed you!”.

“But Granma, it was a joke!” I stuttered through tears as the paddle whacked my buttocks. “Joke or not” she retorted “No grandchild of mine will take up Trolling. Let this be a lesson to you".

I had to stand to eat my dinner, sitting is going to be painful for a while...

buff

May 29, 2017
Fun update! As much as I enjoy BM, I like this one better, so I'm sad it is back for a long stay on the back burner. Some great teases here - Mia showing up in the dreams, only for us to get cockblocked by MC's "subconscious" and (if you played the scene right) the hint at a lezcestual 3some with Liv and Chloe both have me looking forward to the next one.

NIce work, recreation!

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes