slick97

Dec 2, 2021
Perverteer - I'm honestly impressed at just how complex the story gets later on and the insane number of branching paths. I've been through 4 separate playthroughs now in an effort to try and view every possible scene and yet I keep stumbling across more. One of the branches in particular has been a major pain to navigate, so I'm going to leave me thoughts on it behind a spoiler:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

A heads up for others: I'd recommend playing through the game blind the first go around before using a walkthrough mod or adding a script editor like Universal Ren'Py Mod (URM). Afterwards, both tools are useful for those wanting to chase a specific romance path or are trying to set up specific romance combinations (e.g. keeping it in the family, or chasing after only the aliens).

I still can't believe there are over 200+ variables you can affect in just the first 12 chapter alone...

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
Perverteer - I'm honestly impressed at just how complex the story gets later on and the insane number of branching paths. I've been through 4 separate playthroughs now in an effort to try and view every possible scene and yet I keep stumbling across more. One of the branches in particular has been a major pain to navigate, so I'm going to leave me thoughts on it behind a spoiler:

A heads up for others: I'd recommend playing through the game blind the first go around before using a walkthrough mod or adding a script editor like Universal Ren'Py Mod (URM). Afterwards, both tools are useful for those wanting to chase a specific romance path or are trying to set up specific romance combinations (e.g. keeping it in the family, or chasing after only the aliens).

I still can't believe there are over 200+ variables you can affect in just the first 12 chapter alone...
Thanks! The branching sometimes confuses me as well, as a result Eva's path went through quite a few bug fix sessions. Not all of those 200 variables will probably be important in the long run, but a great many of them are. Sadly, as a one-man operation, I lack the ability of implementing wildly divergent branching, but I do hope that the paths that are present provide some replay value.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks! The branching sometimes confuses me as well, as a result Eva's path went through quite a few bug fix sessions. Not all of those 200 variables will probably be important in the long run, but a great many of them are. Sadly, as a one-man operation, I lack the ability of implementing wildly divergent branching, but I do hope that the paths that are present provide some replay value.
on other game i played each option created 2 new options and when game had multiple chars so easy to guess that branching got out of hands after a while.

Reactions: DivineDeviant

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
You've done a fantastic job so far at keeping me engaged with the story and genuinely caring about most of the characters. I think what matters most in the long run is maintaining a healthy amount of branching, whereing older branches come to their conclusion while paving the way for newer ones.

As cxx mentioned, it can quickly get out of hand once you try to account for every permutation of the choices a player can make. Just taking a look at some of the conditions you've set for certain scenes to play out have left me in awe (e.g. The variation in conditions for Eva's romance path).

Reactions: Perverteer

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
I think the very large number of possible routes through the game are what make it a true game rather than a VN.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: cxx and Ayhsel

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Greetings Perverteer, my friend!:devilish:

I have been playing Tales from the Unending Void since it's initial release and must say that I find your work most impressive! I've enjoyed this AVN immensely and it rates up there with many of my favorite titles of all time! Superb renders, intriguing story, wild situations and environments all set in a universe unlike any other I have seen before.

As for multiple paths, you have done rather well. I've played hundreds of AVN titles from simply kinetic stories to overly complex titles with entirely too many choices. I am happy to advise that you strike the delicate balance of choices vs story rather well, my friend.:devilish: I know that these branching stories take a ton of extra work which leads to longer dev time between updates. That is why you will never hear me complain about how long an update is taking. It will be ready when it is ready! Hahaha:ROFLMAO: As a retired professional musician, I know full well that you cannot rush art or genius. It cannot be done, not successfully. So, take all the time you need to keep releasing the high level of quality that you have established.

Thank you for this wonderful, beautiful title with just the right amount of kinky bits intertwined.:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Adventure ever on, Phat:devilish:(y)

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I think the very large number of possible routes through the game are what make it a true game rather than a VN.
Is it, really? Many well defined games have single routes.

On the other hand, clearly well defined visual novels can have a lot of paths. Gloria, a classic, has around 50 possible endings.

The distiction between game and visual novel it is, in my opinion, wrong. They are not mutually exclusive. I wouldn't say one is a particular case of the other, VN included in Games, as there are static novels that are hard to call games, but they overlap a lot. Most VN can be games. Many games are VN or at least have VN features.

Anyway... who is hungry?

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
maybe but after couple updates branching/routes can get out of hands where player has no idea on what path he is.

if you really like multiple routes then i recommend dirty pool (abandoned and easy to guess why), it has walkthrough (no mods).

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
maybe but after couple updates branching/routes can get out of hands where player has no idea on what path he is.

if you really like multiple routes then i recommend dirty pool (abandoned and easy to guess why), it has walkthrough (no mods).
While we're on the topic of branching paths, I figured showing everyone an example from chapter 9 would help you all see the complexity Perverteer has implemented:
That code snippet is just one of the several examples of which variables are checked and how they're compared when consolidating older variables into a single new one. Eva's romance path is even more complex than that as her conversations can occur in wildly different scenarios. In addition, each conversation has several different variables which are compared to determine your relationship with Eva moving forward, resulting in drastically different conversations. For anyone curious, the code snippets are in the spoiler below:

Those snippets are exactly why I'm thoroughly impressed with Perverteer's ability to juggle branching paths. I have a feeling that - similar to Thim's case - Perverteer is planning on wrapping up several of the current branching from past chapters in order to implement new branches, all without (hopefully) overwhelming himself in the process.

I also hope that this little deep dive into the mechanics at play behind the scenes inspire others to support developers like Perverteer as this level of detail is both time consuming and tedious to accomplish.

Side note: dyslexia sucks... after seeing my abysmal attempt at avoiding spelling mistakes in my last two posts I managed to spot several :cautious: Hopefully this time I caught them all...

4.40 star(s) 134 Votes